Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looks like they assumed you were all right :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Javid posted:

Thanks, harbor freight.

The Harbor Freight Michael Jackson Collection is the bizarest brand sponsorship I've ever seen.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Javid posted:

Thanks, harbor freight.

Hardy Har brand.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Javid posted:

Thanks, harbor freight.

Well that is what happens when you use a coupon.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Javid posted:

Thanks, harbor freight.

Heh.
I once made it home from Home Depot with a 3-pack of gloves that was actually 2-and-a-half.
When I brought them back, they left me dig through the big box they were piled in to find the missing one, so that was nice.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I was given a pair of high end, made in Canada waterproof work gloves good for -40 and wet (waterproof liner) as a promo right from the manufacturer to try and get sales reps to promote them. Worth around $75 per pair

The thumb on the right hand has completely stitched closed from the palm.

Good quality control guys.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

slidebite posted:

I was given a pair of high end, made in Canada waterproof work gloves good for -40 and wet (waterproof liner) as a promo right from the manufacturer to try and get sales reps to promote them. Worth around $75 per pair

The thumb on the right hand has completely stitched closed from the palm.

Good quality control guys.

That is loving amazing!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Probably thought he already lost a thumb due to frostbite.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Cojawfee posted:

Gendered nouns are stupid as hell. How do you determine that a chair is male but a door is female?

I'm learning German. Three genders, and the pronouns change based on the case. Churches are feminine, except when they're near something in which case they're masculine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Colostomy Bag posted:

Probably thought he already lost a thumb due to frostbite.
Never thought of that, it was a feature!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I find it helps if you consider the failure to be calling it a "gender" in the first place: It's a system of noun classes that have different plurals* and influence some words around them to match. They're not really related to gender or sex outside a couple of example words that happen to line up, and have more in common with how some English words have weird plurals.

Also, Norwegian budgets use "MNOK" for million NOK. I'm sure that has never caused any confusion with foreign partners.

* In the Scandinavian languages they also have different definites, but that's kind of a trade-off for not using a definite article: instead of "ein Stein, der Stein, Steine, die Steine" (is Stein even masculine in German?) , it's "en stein, steinen, steiner, steinene", with different patterns for the other genders.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 29, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

slidebite posted:

Never thought of that, it was a feature!

Ironic thing is it was a 20% off coupon. Which well you count your hand...

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Dave Inc. posted:

I'm learning German. Three genders, and the pronouns change based on the case. Churches are feminine, except when they're near something in which case they're masculine.

The genitive of "die" being "der" doesn’t make it a masculine pronoun.

That being said, German is insane says the native speaker. I'm currently trying out Turkish on Duolingo, it’s basically the exact opposite. Rules without exceptions, how do they do it?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Zopotantor posted:

That being said, German is insane says the native speaker. I'm currently trying out Turkish on Duolingo, it’s basically the exact opposite. Rules without exceptions, how do they do it?

Cool thing is with Turkish you would know the ending to "The Usual Suspects" within the first few minutes.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Zopotantor posted:

You guys have 16 different ways to say the word “the” depending on the randomly-assigned genders for nouns, all other languages are civil and well thought-out compared to German :v: says the American who was too dumb to learn your language. Also nobody uses Genitiv, nobody.

Nominativ, Akkusativ und Dativ haunt my loving dreams.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Colostomy Bag posted:

Cool thing is with Turkish you would know the ending to "The Usual Suspects" within the first few minutes.

I thought that was Hungarian?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Memento posted:

I thought that was Hungarian?

Hell it looks like a little bit of both. Like metric and SAE. :v:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Ripoff posted:

Also nobody uses Genitiv, nobody.
True dat.
Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod

The "dem X sein Y" construction is actually really, really old.

Zweiter Merseburger Zauberspruch posted:

Phôl ende Wuodan fuorun zi holza.
dû wart demo balderes folon sîn fuoz birenkit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/pnQRn6Y.mp4

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Hell shift.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

FirePowerShift

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Just dropped my mixtape a gear.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Dave Inc. posted:

Spanish often assigns genders to a lot of things that... shouldn't have genders.

Like swearing. But it only has 2 genders (for now).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Dec 31, 2018

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Darchangel posted:

That's mainly because the caliber reflects only the diameter of the slug itself, and not the length or the sizing/chambering of the actual shell. More or less. Because naming standards on ammunition are far from standardized.
It's still stupid that you can fire .38 Special in a .357 Magnum (because they are both 0.357" in diameter)

this is some copy pasta
460S/W<--454 casul<--45longcolt<--45 coltgovt

44 magnum<--44 special<--44 russian

357 maximum<--357 magnum<--38 special<--38 long colt<--38 short colt

10mm<--40S&W

327 mag<--32 H&R mag<--32 S&W long<--32 S&W short

this is of course most applicable to revolvers and single shots like the TC Encore/contender etc.
and there is this thing
https://lockedback.com/m47-medusa-revolver-shoot-100-cartridges-1-handgun/

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
10mm and .40 can't be fired in the same chambers like the other things you mention can. And 10 mm is equal to .40" so it's not even inaccurate.

9mm and .380 auto are also the same diameter, which is not even close to .380", for the same reasons as .38 special.

Cartridge naming is indeed a shitshow.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

gave him the ol' spicy shifter

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The only countries left, in the entire world, which don't have metric as their official standard are Myanmar, Liberia and the US.
And the US distance measurements are a straight metric conversion anyway.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Javid posted:

10mm and .40 can't be fired in the same chambers like the other things you mention can. And 10 mm is equal to .40" so it's not even inaccurate.

9mm and .380 auto are also the same diameter, which is not even close to .380", for the same reasons as .38 special.

Cartridge naming is indeed a shitshow.

No mention of 357 Sig either, which is really what 9mm and .380 are in actual diameter. You can even use the same magazines from 357 Sig to .40 s&w but not the barrel. What a mess.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

evil_bunnY posted:

And the US distance measurements are a straight metric conversion anyway.

I'm unclear what you mean by this.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

shortspecialbus posted:

There’s no such thing as a US measure of length. The US inch has been defined as an amount of metric unit (2.54 cm) since the fifties.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

shortspecialbus posted:

SI units are determined by something from the real world. The meter is defined by the distance light travels in a vacuum in 3.33564095 x 10^-9 seconds. A second is the time it takes a cesium atom to oscillate a certain number of times. There is no such definition for imperial units. An inch is 2.54 centimeters. A foot is .3048 meters.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

A foot is 1/1000 the distance sound travels in a second at sea level, buh gawd!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cojawfee posted:

SI units are determined by something from the real world. The meter is defined by the distance light travels in a vacuum in 3.33564095 x 10^-9 seconds.

Sure, NOW. The definition of a meter has changed several times, and only became related to light in the 80s. Historically most SI units were just as variable as imperial.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Godholio posted:

Sure, NOW. The definition of a meter has changed several times, and only became related to light in the 80s. Historically most SI units were just as variable as imperial.

Yes, but the point was always to get it as accurate as possible. After the units were determined, they noticed a problem where the physical meter sometimes changed. They made several physical kilograms and they all kept drifting away from each other. So they looked for something that could be counted on as constant. Distance and time are pretty much sorted, but they are still looking for a good way to represent the kilogram. No such effort is being made for the imperial measurements because they have already been locked to metric.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Cojawfee posted:

Distance and time are pretty much sorted, but they are still looking for a good way to represent the kilogram.

That's actually been done: they agreed to a definition of the kilogram based on a natural invariant, which takes effect next year.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
They "solved" the kg problem, it takes effect in May. It's now defined in terms of energy required for an electromagnet to offset 1 kg in a not-quite-user-friendly formula.

Edit: damnit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

SI units are determined by something from the real world. The meter is defined by the distance light travels in a vacuum in 3.33564095 x 10^-9 seconds. A second is the time it takes a cesium atom to oscillate a certain number of times. There is no such definition for imperial units. An inch is 2.54 centimeters. A foot is .3048 meters.

okay so yeah perhaps there is no official publication saying this, but an inch is the distance light travels in a vacuum in 8.4725234 x 10^11 seconds and you can take that to the bank

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sagebrush posted:

okay so yeah perhaps there is no official publication saying this, but an inch is the distance light travels in a vacuum in 8.4725234 x 10^11 seconds and you can take that to the bank

The point is it's pegged to the meter, not directly to the speed of light. So if they decided to double how long "1 meter" is, the inch would also become double its current length; it's not independently pegged to the speed of light.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The same committee that could hypothetically double the length of the metre could instead double the length of the second, with the same effect on both the metre and the inch.

They’re not going to do that because it would be insane.

What could happen is a redefinition of the second in terms of a different atomic clock.

This will have no practical effect outside of national labs. Most labs will continue to use cæsium clocks, with the same conversion to the second they always have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Zopotantor posted:

I was told in the army (Germany, 30+ years ago) that the Russians used 7.62 so that they could use NATO 7.62 rounds they picked up, but that their own rounds had some feature (changed grooves or similar) that made them unusable in our guns (G3, at the time). I have no idea if that was true, but I always thought it was stupid to let that happen.

Drill sergeants in the German military tend to be full of poo poo and tall tales, especially about Russia, in my experience.

I'm sure this applies to other militaries with their own weird obsessions

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 2, 2019