Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mordiceius posted:

Don't make me loving fight you.

Eyes on Me is great because not only is it just a good song, but it is integral to the plot of the game.

And just like the plot it's integral too there's loving nothing too it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
You know what's a good Final Fantasy? Theathrythm: Curtain Call. I passed 300 hours of game time over the holidays and it's still darn addictive.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

And just like the plot it's integral too there's loving nothing too it

It's a diagetic song, but guess what? So is Melodies of Life. And it's about as integral to the plot of 9 as Eyes on Me is to the plot of 8.

And melodies of life is better because 9 is a much better game than 8 in pretty much every respect.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It's me, I'm the XII stan. Putting together a gambit that can play itself feels drat good.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Eyes On Me is a pretty decent late 90's pop song.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Ibblebibble posted:

It's me, I'm the XII stan. Putting together a gambit that can play itself feels drat good.

:respek:

I love the linguistics and character designs and sense of history that come out of Matsuno/Yoshida/Smith collaborations. There's so much flavor and texture.

Also: Balthier is a career role for Gideon Emery and I'm glad his outfit's the best realized of the Orbonne lot. Kevin Ferguson took a generally archetypical role in Basch and nailed it. And Nolan North flexes just on the side of unrecognizable as Rasler.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
ffxii had really disgusting looking numou so i hate it

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Friendly neighbourhood catte again to spam some more pictures. Glams are good and glams are the true endgame.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

isk posted:

:respek:

I love the linguistics and character designs and sense of history that come out of Matsuno/Yoshida/Smith collaborations. There's so much flavor and texture.

Also: Balthier is a career role for Gideon Emery and I'm glad his outfit's the best realized of the Orbonne lot. Kevin Ferguson took a generally archetypical role in Basch and nailed it. And Nolan North flexes just on the side of unrecognizable as Rasler.

Yeah but then someone made them make Vaan the main character instead of Basch and it made the story really really bad.

Also gambits are the best part of ff12's combat, but if someone is going to complain about ff13 playing itself then you kind of have to address them. Gambits felt like a good concept to fix the game's incredibly subpar combat.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Yeah but then someone made them make Vaan the main character instead of Basch and it made the story really really bad.

Always saw Vaan as the main character as much as Terra is in FFVI. Like, it's more of an ensemble story once the 6 come together.

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
Would anyone like a quick write up on how to play mahjong? I've taught people before and it's not too complicated.

Here's me being fashionably late to the fashion party.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The best Final Fantasy protagonist is Papa Nier, a roegdynn searching for his replicant human daughter but is cursed with a low attention span, which means he spends all his time doing sidequests and skipping cutscenes because OH MY GOD NOBODY loving CARES, ALPHINAUD, NOW PUT ON SOME DECENT CLOTHES YOU CREEPY LITTLE MAN.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Asche is absolutely the main character, though Balthier, Vaan and Basch have a pretty heavy focus in various aspects. Also Fran and Penelo are there.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Screaming Idiot posted:

The best Final Fantasy protagonist is Papa Nier, a roegdynn searching for his replicant human daughter but is cursed with a low attention span, which means he spends all his time doing sidequests and skipping cutscenes because OH MY GOD NOBODY loving CARES, ALPHINAUD, NOW PUT ON SOME DECENT CLOTHES YOU CREEPY LITTLE MAN.

He's a teenager. :v:

And don't worry, he eventually gets a way better outfit.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Just the one, actually.

:hmmyes:

Late to the party but I can't ignore a TWEWY post.

And if there's one good thing I can say about FF13, it's how they removed long-term resource management as a design pillar. Chugging Ethers and dropping Bahamuts is a pretty efficient way to handle trash encounters in a lot of FF games, but it's not exactly compelling gameplay, so it's nice that each encounter in 13 is self-contained instead of a health/mana/gil tax. I'll still defend that FF13 was a terrible game made of great parts - the music, the visuals, and the combat were all really good, and they somehow completely failed to put everything together in a compelling or enjoyable way.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Captain Oblivious posted:

He's a teenager. :v:

And don't worry, he eventually gets a way better outfit.

Nono, Papa Nier. Not Brother Nier. We don't talk about Brother Nier, who is simultaneously Papa Nier as a child and is also the child of Papa Nier, he doesn't understand because he was too busy rocking out to Metal: Brute Justice Mode to listen to the explanation.

EDIT: Oh, you were talking about Alphinaud. Sorry, again -- attention span difficulties. Papa Nier is a giant man with not-so-giant mental faculties.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Nobody "made" them do anything, and Vaan being the main character wasn't some sudden switch or anything either. Like sure, way in the beginning they considered having Basch as the protagonist (Balthier as well), but the devs themselves dropped the idea because their previous "manly" protagonist which was Ashley from Vagrant Story hadn't been popular with their target audience.

The story was built with Vaan as the POV character, they didn't write the entire plot and then pull a completely new protagonist out of thin air after the fact. That's not how it works!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Crackerjack posted:

Would anyone like a quick write up on how to play mahjong? I've taught people before and it's not too complicated.

Yes please!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
FF12 literally made me fall asleep whenever I tried to play it, so I never managed to get through it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Clarste posted:

FF12 literally made me fall asleep whenever I tried to play it, so I never managed to get through it.

Well it's a game that plays itself so you could probably beat it like that.

Seriously every rerelease has added a fast forward button or an even faster fast forward button. it's not a game meant to actually be played.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Kanfy posted:

Nobody "made" them do anything, and Vaan being the main character wasn't some sudden switch or anything either. Like sure, way in the beginning they considered having Basch as the protagonist (Balthier as well), but the devs themselves dropped the idea because their previous "manly" protagonist which was Ashley from Vagrant Story hadn't been popular with their target audience.

The story was built with Vaan as the POV character, they didn't write the entire plot and then pull a completely new protagonist out of thin air after the fact. That's not how it works!

Looked it up to refresh my memory, and we're both wrong.

Vaan was changed at the last minute to be less big and burly because of Vagrant story, but the original MC was an unnamed big and burly dude. The change was definitely based on market data, though, so I'm not sure if I'd say it was totally the impetus of the devs themselves.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh god I take it back please talk about Eureka again

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

kirbysuperstar posted:

Fracture!

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

If you're not using Fracture at the end of your Berserk window then you're doing something 0.01% wrong.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Filters are fun, and my RDM is extremely a musketeer:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I got the plat trophy for FF13 when it was new. I was really loving bored, I guess.

Also, Suteki Da Ne is better than either Melodies of Life or Eyes on Me. :colbert:

Stalins Moustache posted:

Friendly neighbourhood catte again to spam some more pictures. Glams are good and glams are the true endgame.

I just wanted to say that this one is really, really good.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Thundarr posted:

Also, Suteki Da Ne is better than either Melodies of Life or Eyes on Me. :colbert:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

9 is objectively the best FF because my opinion is right, but X is a close second. X-2 is also a lot of fun and among my favorite games. Story isn't as heavy or serious as a mainline FF game, but it's just as good while being a completely different type of story.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
X-2 had a great combat system, but incredibly embarrassing story beats to balance it out.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The best Final Fantasy is Mystic Quest.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
FF8 was the first Final Fantasy I played, back when I was a moody 13-year-old. So it is objectively the best game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://twitter.com/dueFon_ff14/status/1074901738014928896

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Zerilan posted:

If a slot on the easy 100 points just lists a dye type and no item, or has nothing listed, do I just wear anything in that slot, or nothing in that slot?

Wear whatever, every gear slot gets you extra points even if it's not part of the advertised slots/dyes.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

hello ff14 thread i heard it was time to share glams, please look at my extremely fashionable roegadame

i only have mch leveled up to 31 on this character but that's not important right now, shh

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Okay I like Alphinaud now

Solovey posted:

hello ff14 thread i heard it was time to share glams, please look at my extremely fashionable roegadame

i only have mch leveled up to 31 on this character but that's not important right now, shh

Bwflyskplerme and Clyde, infamous bank robbers of Ul'dah.

EDIT: To come up with lore-appropriate roegdynn names, slam your face into the keyboard while shouting "BARA! BARA! BARA!" at the top of your lungs.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

Okay I like Alphinaud now

Bwflyskplerme and Clyde, infamous bank robbers of Ul'dah.

EDIT: To come up with lore-appropriate roegdynn names, slam your face into the keyboard while shouting "BARA! BARA! BARA!" at the top of your lungs.

Just be a Hellsguard so that Screaming Idiot is a lore-friendly name.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
They made other Final Fantasy games? Doesn't sound very "final" to me.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I got my pyros step done for the DRK weapon. It looks rad. Eureka still a trash fire, I've hated every minute, god, I think I've sustained permanent brain damage from this.

Also, I'm now placing my bet that the Hydratous dungeon is designed expecting you to have that 6th magicite from Pyros, despite it needing 3 obnoxiously low drop rate items off 3 NMs, one of which spawns only barely more than cassie.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

A friend gave me a five-pack of fantasias for Christmas, so I figured I'd try out a look that's a little more out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011