Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Incoherence posted:

OP was grasping so tightly onto the "I'm the favorite" card that she didn't notice that Grammy was lovely to her even then. Why does the rest of the family put up with her poo poo?

The quote about how Grammy was micromanaging that girl's weight made me think she might have other brokebrain traditions of The Boomer.

Casually racist? Possibly.

The immeasurable and/or likely infinite amount of Boomer Self Entitlement? Very yes.

I just severely irritated myself by this crap. Boomers need to gently caress off. I couldn't survive in that family without being convicted of murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Admiral Ray posted:

Possibility of inheritance.

100% death tax imo.

Lol can you imagine how many lovely boomer parents and grandparents would be immediately severed from their family if there was no such thing as inheritance.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

HOT BREAD! posted:

the male ego is so loving exhausting

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Lol can you imagine how many lovely boomer parents and grandparents would be immediately severed from their family if there was no such thing as inheritance.

The only thing you can do now is wait for the dementia to kick in and take over as power of attorney.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

Is there anyway of getting your trust fund back if your parents donated all 100,000$ of it to a church because the child came out to them?
Not me but my friend recently told me that his parents had sent him a thank you letter from the church for his contribution of 100,000$ to them and that it would be going towards building a basketball court. I'm just wondering if there is any way to reappropriate it under his name only or anything?

I'm just furious at hearing that instead of loving their kid and giving him a future that they decide to throw away him and any educational support in the most horrendous way I can think.

Btw they called him on Christmas to tell him that he should move back so he can go to the churches "straight away" program (it tries to turn them straight with biblical propaganda and threats of hell etc.)

Edit: living in Canada

I feel like preventing this is one of the main reasons for a trust fund? Not sure how law outside of the US works, but here, trust funds are specifically "they can't spend it all, you can't spend any of it"

Also, on the subject of strong women...
I went speed dating once. You know, where you meet like 25 women for a series of 4 minute dates to see if you click. It takes ~95% of women less than 5 minutes to figure out they want nothing to do with me, so this scene was my jam. I was on a speed dating night, and I was supposed to go to the next date, which was labeled "U"

Me: Are you, "U"
Her: Haha, yeah, I'm me.
Me: I bet you've got that joke like 5 times tonight
Her: No, you're the first.
Me: Alright, so we've established that you're a liar. What else?
Her: Wow, gently caress you. I'm a lawyer? Is that what you want to know?
Me: Makes sense. What else you got?
Her: I'm 29... you got a problem with that?
Me: Hell, yes I have a problem with that. Prime numbers? How dare you!
Her: Well, there's the door, bitch.

We'll be married 10 years this July.
I like me some strong women, and I feel sad for people who don't know the joy of a woman who will go out and make something of herself when you're not busy holding her back,

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The same men who are afraid of strong women, who want a meek and subservient wife, also don't seem to want to be providers and think they don't owe their wives anything. It's just a mess of contradictions. All the time you see dudes who are like "I made my wife stop working for 5 years to raise our kids and now we're getting divorced, surely that gold digger isn't entitled to alimony or child support?"

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i much prefer to be meek and subservient, men are better tasked to menial labour anyways, and all i really wanted is a job where i can tune out and just focus on media.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Husband (28m) went on a 2 business month trip. Cheated in Thailand and has now disappeared and is taking all the money from his wife (26f).

quote:

This is going to be a long story, but I am in need of some advice. Keep in mind this is not me and I only have the information from 1 side of the story. Here we go.

I have a friend, lets call him Ron, whom I used to work with 2 years ago. We spent about 2 years as colleagues and hung out outside of work too as friends. Smart guy, pretty funny, everything is normal. Ron also has a wife, let's call her April. April was also a friend of mine too, and often hung out with Ron, and our friends together. April and Ron have been married for 8 years, they have 1 kid (shes almost 2 years old), and just found out they are having another along the way.

Ron recently referred me at the company he has been working for. I got an offer and accepted the job, even moved across the country to work here (not just cause he's my friend, it's a good company and I was looking into working with them anyways). This job also requires lots of travel (at your availability). Often times trips of 1-2 months at a time overseas. Ron volunteered to go to every location for the full duration over the next year; essentially meaning he will go to one country for 1-2 months, then come back for a few weeks, and repeat.

Anyways, before I went to visit my family for Christmas I asked April if she could watch my dogs (we actually live in apartment complexes that are close by, and this would be the 3rd time shes watched them). Of course she says yes. The night before I left I go to give her my apartment key and during our small talk I ask her how she's doing. She breaks down crying and tell's me she has no idea where Ron is. So here's what she told me in short: His trip was to the Middle East from Oct(17th?) to Dec 12th (I know this because I'm also on the paper trail). Midway through December (Or end of Nov) he does dark (this is close to when he found out about the second pregnancy); stops calling her and stops texting her...Almost completely. (They used to talk every day and always text). He also says that his trip got extended until Dec 25th. Meanwhile all the money in their account (She's a full time mom and they share a bank account) is being taken out in cash. She also sees transactions at ATMs in Thailand. She used to share the password to his email and Facebook but those have changed. Essentially she was left with no money and 1.5 kids to take care of. We talk about this for a while and I tried to give my best advice before I leave.

I go home for Christmas and leave 200$ on the my counter to help her get through this situation. Dec 25th he returns to their apartment and is a completely different person. He also has marks on his neck that he claims were from falling, but they look like hickies. He hardly talks to her and even asks her to leave. To leave the apartment and go somewhere, anywhere else, when they have no money to do so and he won't work with her on logistics. Her family also lives on the other side of the country and she is not very close to them. She asked to stay at my apartment but I am not comfortable having another mans wife stay with me unless I talk to the husband about it. She won't let me talk to him (shes afraid of his reaction) so I choose to not let her stay.

I come back from my vacation and go out for drinks, my phone was on silent and when I check it after the night out I see 5 missed calls and texts that read "911, emergency 911!". I call her back but no answer. I get to my apartment to see her car in my parking spot. She runs out to my car and tells me he's cheating. It's 30 degrees (f) outside and it's midnight. She has got no shoes on and the baby is sleeping in her arms--shes frantic. I tell her to come inside and we can talk this through. So what happened that night was: Ron went to sleep but left is PC unlocked with a Facebook call window open. April saw the window was to some girl in Thailand. She also sees the chat window to her. There are tons of photos of them together and conversations about how much they love each other. He even took a pic of his bed and sent to her saying "I wish you were here". What's interesting is there are pictures dated back to Dec 1st, some even of the 2 in New York City. He is also sending her money, lots of money. There are tons of texts from her asking for more money for her and her family. There are photos of her and her family with him together as well. She took photos of all this with her phone and showed me.

The next day he leaves (they share 1 car) and says "sorry about the mess, this wasn't supposed to get this bad, I need to figure myself out" (also keep in mind he is supposed to go on another business trip Jan 10th for 6 weeks) and leaves her the apartment and car until then. I haven't seen him at work and he continues to withdraw money. He opened a new bank account, refinanced the car to get more cash, locked her out of his 401k account (most likely because he took an early withdrawal) and has disappeared. April got a hold of a girl from our company that has also been through a divorce--she also happens to be the lady who approves expense reports. She mentioned that there are suspicious charges on the company credit card (Victoria secret). And asks for advice.

This leads me to today. I am (was?) friends with Ron before all this happened, but we are still coworkers (unless all this gets him fired). I'm trying to distance myself from this situation but i also want to help April. I keep telling April to talk to a divorce attorney, and work on taking care of the baby and herself for right now. Any advice on what I and mostly April should do?

TL;DR:

Coworker and old friend of mine went on a business trip for 2 months, then lied about going to Thailand and is starting to send money to some girl and is basically starting a double life. The wife is now left with practically no money and a kid, while pregnant with another, to fend for herself. Need advice.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

La Brea Carpet posted:

Husband (28m) went on a 2 business month trip. Cheated in Thailand and has now disappeared and is taking all the money from his wife (26f).

The friend who wrote this post was definitely cheating with the dude’s wife

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I can understand feeling uncomfortable with the idea of her staying at yours at first, maybe just not wanting to get too involved in someone else's affairs, but phrasing it as "I am not comfortable having another mans wife stay with me unless I talk to the husband about it" sounds very off

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
They're way closer than he's saying for sure. To what degree who knows, but he's trying to act like she's just someone from the friend circle / dog-sitter - but he's the first one she calls, like 911 texts then showing up at his place with the baby, the moment her marriage implodes? Maybe he found a chat log too before he left.

I'm just making stuff up for fun, he probably did just decide to do what many schlubby western men do in SE Asia: fall into a financially imbalanced affair. Add it to the list of articles to read if you're thinking of getting married as teenagers and then splitting up when one feel like they 'missed out' on their life the second they get a taste of freedom.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (24f) Boyfriend (26M) let his roommates emotionally destroy me. And now he consistently chooses them over me.

Here’s some backstory. Buckle up, it’s a long one but I’ll try to keep it as concise as possible.

A few months ago my SO left his Facebook logged in on my iPad and I opened messenger thinking it was me who has unread messages. What I found instead was an entire conversation between him and his roommate. His roommate said some really nasty poo poo about me. She said I wasn’t going to be a good mom (I’m 5 months pregnant). She said I’m toxic and that “pregnant people make her uncomfortable”. And she said “you know nobody likes her, right?”. I was so hurt. I have a lot of trouble making friends and I’m a bit socially awkward but I try my best. And it was just an affirmation of all of my anxieties. His replies to these messages were... non-replies. That’s the best way I can describe it. I cried in his arms that night for a long time.

So his roommate banned me from their apartment. Making it so that I barely get to spend time with him. And making me feel really alone all of the time. He never defended me. Not once. Another of his friends told me that they talk poo poo about me all of the time, and he just sits there in silence. When he’s with me, he acts like I’m his world. I never doubt that he loves me and our little one. But he refuses to defend me to them. And refuses to protect me from them.

I’ve done my absolute best to try to just get over it. We were supposed to be moving in together in March and I felt like if I could just make it until then everything would be alright. Then he kept choosing them. Again. And again. It’s New Year’s Eve. And I sat here alone and sad all night because he had promised me we would spend the night together, but then decided to pick up liquor and get drunk with his roommates instead.

I just feel like I can’t do this anymore. What is so wrong with me that he can’t ever choose me over them? Everyone around the situation has admitted that I didn’t really do anything. They don’t like me because I’m pregnant. Because they don’t believe in procreation and don’t agree with my SO and I deciding to keep the little one.

I don’t know what to do anymore. The whole situation makes me feel like I’m not good enough for him to choose me. And his roommates absolutely destroyed what little self confidence I had. They took half of my relationship from me. And he let it all happen. I feel like if we stay together and I just “stick it out”, the rest of my life I will always come second for him. He will never choose me.

I don’t know what to do. Do I leave or do I stay? I never wanted to be the girlfriend that took my dudes friends away, that’s not who I am. But they seem to be so determined to keep us apart and it doesn’t seem to bother him.

TL;DR boyfriends roommates said some cruel things about me, banned me from his place and he won’t defend me. Do I stay or go

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Me [38N] with my 31F DnD player of about 6 mos. Player overshares 'shocking' information that may be a cry for help. What do?

I could use some advice. My gaming group is great, and we recently added a player who brings a lot to the table -- she uses a lot more strategy in her approach to the game, and is generally very vivacious.

However, she also overshares big time about some stuff that is pretty alarming. Imagine something like someone mentions drinking too much and needing a ride home -- she'll share that she regularly drinks to blacking out, on her own, at home, to avoid driving drunk. Which she used to do. That isn't what she said, but it was on par with that. It's really uncomfortable.

I normally don't try to do table management for other DMs, because I understand we all want a different table, but this is uncomfortable and my turn to DM is coming up. I was thinking about simply shutting it down twice, and then asking her to go. The trouble with this approach is we don't usually game at my house. I'm really iffy on telling someone else's guest to stfu or gtfo, but I do not want to talk about topics better suited to therapy while trying to run an adventure.

But... that brings me to the concern that this may be a cry for help, and if it is, I want to get her some. I'm not really qualified to help personally, so can I redirect this somehow that isn't shutting her down?

TL;DR: Player may need help due to prior trauma, and I don't want to shut her down. But I need a way of rerouting bad topics away from the gaming table, because I can't handle it.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

quote:

He is also sending her money, lots of money. There are tons of texts from her asking for more money for her and her family. There are photos of her and her family with him together as well.

Of course they ask for money. It'll be interesting to see how long this love lasts once the wife's lawyer gets hold of the money.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I accused my girlfriend of trying to trap me.

I’ve been dating my girlfriend for about 6 months now, and we have been having problems for the last month or so.

We are both in our early 30’s and I have known her for a few years. We dated once in our mid 20’s and broke up with no contact in between.

I missed her about a year ago and reached out. We started talking, meet up a few times and decided to try again. Which seemed great for awhile until we both got busy with work and life, as I started a new job.

We got into a huge blowup over commitment issues and how our relationship seemed to be falling apart.

I then accused her of only sleeping with me again so soon because she wanted to get pregnant to tie me to her.

She informed me that she is not and has never been or wanted to be pregnant.

My problem with that is she slept with me again so soon after a year break. Was during our first official date, but we had seen each other several times before then. I tried to make a move while semi drunk before this, but that didn’t lead to anything.

Has anyone accused a non pregnant girl of trying to trap them? And I don’t mean sabotaging the condoms because she never touched them.

Or Am I The rear end in a top hat?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I’ve been dating my girlfriend for about 6 months now, and we have been having problems for the last month or so.

We are both in our early 30’s and I have known her for a few years. We dated once in our mid 20’s and broke up with no contact in between.

I missed her about a year ago and reached out. We started talking, meet up a few times and decided to try again. Which seemed great for awhile until we both got busy with work and life, as I started a new job.

We got into a huge blowup over commitment issues and how our relationship seemed to be falling apart.

I then accused her of only sleeping with me again so soon because she wanted to get pregnant to tie me to her.

My problem with that is she slept with me again so soon after a year break. Was during our first official date, but we had seen each other several times before then. I tried to make a move while semi drunk before this, but that didn’t lead to anything.

Has anyone accused a non pregnant girl of trying to trap them? And I don’t mean sabotaging the condoms because she never touched them.

If you have to ask...

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Me [38N] with my 31F DnD player of about 6 mos. Player overshares 'shocking' information that may be a cry for help. What do?

I could use some advice. My gaming group is great, and we recently added a player who brings a lot to the table -- she uses a lot more strategy in her approach to the game, and is generally very vivacious.

However, she also overshares big time about some stuff that is pretty alarming. Imagine something like someone mentions drinking too much and needing a ride home -- she'll share that she regularly drinks to blacking out, on her own, at home, to avoid driving drunk. Which she used to do. That isn't what she said, but it was on par with that. It's really uncomfortable.

I normally don't try to do table management for other DMs, because I understand we all want a different table, but this is uncomfortable and my turn to DM is coming up. I was thinking about simply shutting it down twice, and then asking her to go. The trouble with this approach is we don't usually game at my house. I'm really iffy on telling someone else's guest to stfu or gtfo, but I do not want to talk about topics better suited to therapy while trying to run an adventure.

But... that brings me to the concern that this may be a cry for help, and if it is, I want to get her some. I'm not really qualified to help personally, so can I redirect this somehow that isn't shutting her down?

TL;DR: Player may need help due to prior trauma, and I don't want to shut her down. But I need a way of rerouting bad topics away from the gaming table, because I can't handle it.

Solve it the way they did on the IT crowd: by writing it into the D&D scenario.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

“pregnant people make her uncomfortable”.

:thunk:

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

That is totally the dude's new girlfriend haha. I guarantee that the only one who doesn't refer to OP as "that girl he knocked up" is she herself.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Maybe it's the fact that I am grossed out by idea of getting pregnant, but all of these stories by women who get pregnant by some loser fuckface bf really skeeve me out. Oh, he barely works or showers or does anything around the house and is constantly drunk or hosed up and is abusive? Let's add a baby! That'll really motivate him to be a better person!

I really loved my ex but there was a time my period came late even though I was on the pill and I was horrified and planning the abortion before the bloodbath hit. Like googling centers and planning dates. I didn't even tell him, I was just like, whelp gonna not make this happen! He wasn't the worst bf but he also wasn't the best and we were broke rear end college kids. Like hell would I have had his child willingly.

It's insane to me that a lot of women plan less to have a baby with a dude than some people plan to have a loving dog or cat.

If you're gonna tie me to someone for more or less life, then I'm gonna need to either pop something fantastic out of my nethers or we're loving over RIGHT NOW.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

lol what a huge misogynistic rear end in a top hat

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

life is a joke posted:

That is totally the dude's new girlfriend haha. I guarantee that the only one who doesn't refer to OP as "that girl he knocked up" is she herself.

Yeah, that's possible. I was thinking that he has some fears and worries as he comes to grips of being a father. Then, you add in some manipulation from the roommate to bring on a full blown panic of cold feet...

quote:

They don’t like me because I’m pregnant. Because they don’t believe in procreation and don’t agree with my SO and I deciding to keep the little one.

...so, the roommate is bombarding him with that 'No Procreation' belief, which he tends to absorb in silence.

Roommate is probably a past fling with this dude and was knocked up. They abort the child because procreation is for suckers(or rather...they miscarried and got bitter enough to swear off babies forever?). Now, as simply roommates, he starts to date and woops! there's another baby. Roommate loses her marbles under the weight of all that jealousy and uses the "she is pregnant and that makes me uncomfortable enough to hate her and she'll never be a good mommy and goddammit she is forbidden to enter this apartment!" Meanwhile, the boyfriend is feeling guilty and now he is beginning to avoid his girlfriend to console the roommate. High chances of him hooking back up if he hasnt already(He has).

Or I'm way off base here. :v: I kinda hope I am because the hatred and the bitter judgment of motherhood from that roommate sounds incredibly disturbing.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

empty sea posted:

Maybe it's the fact that I am grossed out by idea of getting pregnant, but all of these stories by women who get pregnant by some loser fuckface bf really skeeve me out. Oh, he barely works or showers or does anything around the house and is constantly drunk or hosed up and is abusive? Let's add a baby! That'll really motivate him to be a better person!

You, my friend, have echoed my own thoughts that I've reeled over for years. Maybe the woman thinks she can 'fix him!', like you said, and uses the baby as a tool to hammer out that family home with the white picket fence.

Some things in life, no matter how normal and celebrated they are, shall not be experienced by me. Popping a child out of my body is #1 on that list. I'm keeping marriage on there too because..... *reads your post again, specifically the description of the boyfriend* .....because daaaaaaaamn.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

It makes me sad that children are sort of briefly alluded to in a lot of these stories but are so obviously not a priority in their parents lives. Particularly when it is poly or cheating drama and they have multiple young kids. You shouldn't have time for that poo poo. If you have them they should be a priority that far far outweighs your commitment to experiencing all the varieties of sex you would like to or playing the latest videogame or whatever.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Thread is on fire lately with absolute garbage tier men.

I tried to dig up some new estranged parents drama again but it was so sad it gave me depression.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Accusations of "trapping"/spermjacking against non-pregnant girlfriends who have never had unprotected sex with you is the amazing next evolution of the "demanding paternity tests from planned-pregnant wives with no evidence whatsoever of cheating" guys who showed up in the thread a while back

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Moon Atari posted:

It makes me sad that children are sort of briefly alluded to in a lot of these stories but are so obviously not a priority in their parents lives. Particularly when it is poly or cheating drama and they have multiple young kids. You shouldn't have time for that poo poo. If you have them they should be a priority that far far outweighs your commitment to experiencing all the varieties of sex you would like to or playing the latest videogame or whatever.

yeah, that always loving kills me

also if i hadn’t already been fully in support of abortion being available on-demand without charge, this thread would have sold me on it. the idea of having a child growing inside you as your shithead boyfriend shows his true colors is legit body horror

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

QuarkJets posted:

The same men who are afraid of strong women, who want a meek and subservient wife, also don't seem to want to be providers and think they don't owe their wives anything. It's just a mess of contradictions.

Strong men seek an equal. Weak men seek a victim.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

empty sea posted:

I really loved my ex but there was a time my period came late even though I was on the pill and I was horrified and planning the abortion before the bloodbath hit. Like googling centers and planning dates. I didn't even tell him, I was just like, whelp gonna not make this happen! He wasn't the worst bf but he also wasn't the best and we were broke rear end college kids. Like hell would I have had his child willingly.

It's insane to me that a lot of women plan less to have a baby with a dude than some people plan to have a loving dog or cat.

If you're gonna tie me to someone for more or less life, then I'm gonna need to either pop something fantastic out of my nethers or we're loving over RIGHT NOW.

i get where you're coming from but do remember that many, many women live in places where they were given poor, incorrect or no sexual education, have intentionally limited access to contraception, and where abortions are extraordinarily hard to access or just outright illegal

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
In my ideal world we would teach teenagers about relationships and not just (bad) sex ed. Lesson 1: They're Not Going To Change. If they fat, they gonna stay fat. If they're a revolting gamer who sleeps in piles of their own filth, skidmarks, and rancid semen well, caveat emptor

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

Sagebrush posted:

i get where you're coming from but do remember that many, many women live in places where they were given poor, incorrect or no sexual education, have intentionally limited access to contraception, and where abortions are extraordinarily hard to access or just outright illegal

This is sadly very true :d2a:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Haifisch posted:

Presenting a roller coaster ride in three acts.

I was a hair away from cheating on my boyfriend, and blowing a bunch of cash while doing so. WTF. [34 m/f]

I've been with my boyfriend for ten years. Honestly, he is more like my husband except we aren't married as it would affect some legal issues that don't matter.

By roller coaster you mean one of those powered launch coasters where in the first 3 seconds the train goes 0 to 60 and right into a corkscrew.

edit: and now I got to the end and it's one of those Roller Coaster Tycoon jobs where the train flies off the track into the crowd holy poo poo

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 1, 2019

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The Iron Rose posted:

The take that people with money are worse and less redeemable than violent domestic abusers is pretty legendarily bad hth

People become wealthy because they have a certain mindset that allows them to flourish in our economy and/or they got the wealth passed down from them from others who staked out thier wealth who had a similar mindset. Its self selecting, which is why I said theyre irredeemable. They couldnt have gotten to that point without having an abusive mindset.

Yes, violent abusers are awful but at the very least its possible for them to change. Anger is a universal emotion and some who succumb to it will at least not want to be that way and have the potential to stop. Thus dominating others through the economy is worse than dominating others through violence because lets face it, the powerful dominators are only going to stop once theyre dead.

Yea, youre right, I dont have an exact dollar sign value and some people will have come into wealth legitimately or through luck without taking advantage of others... but those wealthy people probably are less inclined to be abusers anyway. Saying All Rich People Are Scum with no nuance was just a fun way to stick it to awful people and of course theres some shades of grey.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

life is a joke posted:

I'm just making stuff up for fun, he probably did just decide to do what many schlubby western men do in SE Asia: fall into a financially imbalanced affair.
Oh, stop talking like sex tourism is a terrible, exploitative thing. It's an arrangement between two consenting legal actors! Who is John Galt? He's the guy who sold me this package tour to the Philippines, the Ukraine, and Bangkok.

The recent r/r posts have been a parade of garbage men and of women who couldn't spell self-esteem if you spotted them the 'e's and 's's.

Dr. Video Games 0135 posted:

In my ideal world we would teach teenagers about relationships and not just (bad) sex ed. Lesson 1: They're Not Going To Change. If they fat, they gonna stay fat. If they're a revolting gamer who sleeps in piles of their own filth, skidmarks, and rancid semen well, caveat emptor
Agreed, but not sure it'd help anything because people are broke in their head.

TL;dr of much longer write up I just spiked: my brother-in-law is the exception who proves the rule. The drive to be a better person for the sake of his partner and later the kids came from inside him, not from it being demanded of him. He and my sister are still together as equal partners and parents in a healthy relationship that's lasted longer than a lot of goons have been potty-trained. He's someone I want to spend time with because he's clever, funny, and open minded, rather than to dodge (as I used to) because of his readiness to freely share his bigotry and simplistic ideas of gender roles as the only "reasonable" views.

But I'm not the exception to the rule. An intentional "accidental" pregnancy to keep the relationship going caused me to change, but only in regard to what I really cared about and what I wanted to change, and not what I was daily yelled at by an abusive partner to fix.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
There are studies showing that having money or feeling like you have money changes your behavior in games designed to measure your behavior wrt generosity, and that the wealth may drive the behavior rather than the other way around.

Additionally, if you're behavior and attitudes with money and life lead you to be poor, you are probably the one that is mal-adapted.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

therobit posted:

There are studies showing that having money or feeling like you have money changes your behavior in games designed to measure your behavior wrt generosity, and that the wealth may drive the behavior rather than the other way around.

Additionally, if you're behavior and attitudes with money and life lead you to be poor, you are probably the one that is mal-adapted.
The psychology of that is actually really interesting in the abstract I just wish it didn't cause so many huge problems in reality with people hoarding wealth beyond the point where they can like, reasonably care for themselves and their children and their children's children in comfort. Like there hits a certain threshhold where you have more money than you can literally ever use and it just seems to break something in people's brains? IDK if it's a problem with the resource allocation of the brain not processing it properly or what.

EDIT: Like I'd like to say that if I came into an absurd amount of money I'd keep enough to stay comfortable without working for the rest of my life and take care of my parents and then pour the rest into charities and projects that can help a lot of people long-term, and I genuinely mean that as I say that, but idk, maybe my brain would also break. I hope not.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Your expectations would adjust and the definition of a comfortable life would probably change.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

therobit posted:

Your expectations would adjust and the definition of a comfortable life would probably change.
Yeah probably, that's why you've got to set up the regular donations to charity before your lifestyle can adjust too much, imo.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Hellblazer187 posted:

Can confirm, my biological dad is a product of the boomer era, basically an entitled, lying, addict piece of poo poo. He got a bunch of money & property from his parents' trust then pissed it all away on drugs, booze & fines from getting into DUI accidents like a moron. Last I talked to him was in '07, he called me drunk (or drugged, hard to tell) & started asking me for money I didn't have to "loan" to him. When I said I didn't have it, he called me a liar & ungrateful for not "helping when his own dad needed it". I asked him about the decade-plus of back child support he decided wasn't his problem after my mom married my stepdad, he tried lying & blaming her for taking it (I knew it was a lie, my mom had to go through the state to get back payments from him...right before he suspiciously stopped working & couldn't have his wages garnished). Told him to gently caress off, don't contact me again because the last thing I needed was more disappointments in life & blocked him. My brother who lives near him tried a couple years ago to get us to reconcile, until I told him exactly what happened - now he avoids my dad too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Can confirm, my biological dad is a product of the boomer era, basically an entitled, lying, addict piece of poo poo. He got a bunch of money & property from his parents' trust then pissed it all away on drugs, booze & fines from getting into DUI accidents like a moron. Last I talked to him was in '07, he called me drunk (or drugged, hard to tell) & started asking me for money I didn't have to "loan" to him. When I said I didn't have it, he called me a liar & ungrateful for not "helping when his own dad needed it". I asked him about the decade-plus of back child support he decided wasn't his problem after my mom married my stepdad, he tried lying & blaming her for taking it (I knew it was a lie, my mom had to go through the state to get back payments from him...right before he suspiciously stopped working & couldn't have his wages garnished). Told him to gently caress off, don't contact me again because the last thing I needed was more disappointments in life & blocked him. My brother who lives near him tried a couple years ago to get us to reconcile, until I told him exactly what happened - now he avoids my dad too.

drat :/

My dad is cool and my mom was cool when she was alive. So I'd keep a relationship with them even if there was nothing to inherit (there will be a bit, nothing crazy). I can't imagine having to make the decision between severing from a shithead parent and losing 5 to 6 figure payout though.