Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

RE 7 Biohazard at 15 bucks is itching my trigger finger pretty hard, although I’m in no rush to play it and I feel like it’s got future PS Plus offering written all over it.

If 15 isnt your trigger price...

Ps+ isnt exactly chalk full of 2 year old $60 games. (With very very few exceptions, xcom2).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

What capcom games have been free this gen?

I'm pretty sure that Resident Evil HD remaster was free eventually

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Don’t encourage me VG!!!

I’m really feeling your Yakuza vibes by the way. Makes me even more excited to start Kiwami soon! You blasted right through that one, I expected it to take you longer. I knew you would fall in love with the series in general. It has that streak of genuine silly kindness you seem to really appreciate in games.

That’s what it is - I could never explain why GTA annoys me so much and I love Yakuza but I think it’s just the meanness of GTA be Kiryu trying his best

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Hey buddy, I’m on a budget after the holidays. Those 15 gamerbux are it for the month.

I blew my whole gaming budget for January on New Year’s Eve morning. It was $5.

Luckily, TitanFall 2 was still in stock at my neighbourhood Dollarama store for $4.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

If :911: you can stretch that 15 into 18 and do gamefly.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bombadilillo posted:

If 15 isnt your trigger price...

Ps+ isnt exactly chalk full of 2 year old $60 games. (With very very few exceptions, xcom2).

Yeah agreed. I’ll probably pick it up before the sale’s done and put it in my backlog. Time to play violent games is limited to after the kid goes to bed so it’ll take me a while to get through it.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Deadguy2322 posted:

I blew my whole gaming budget for January on New Year’s Eve morning. It was $5.

Luckily, TitanFall 2 was still in stock at my neighbourhood Dollarama store for $4.

Deal of the century right there

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Deal of the century right there

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I love posts where people rationalize not buying a game they want because it may or may not be a free ps plus game before the end of time.

that's like 100% of my posts you goddamned rear end in a top hat

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the january plus games are pretty underwhelming this year huh

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I'm pretty sure that Resident Evil HD remaster was free eventually

yea that was on plus a while back

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Veib posted:

That if you don't delete you're a loving monster

(also take another look at what 2B talks about at the very beginning of the opening, the choice is the last part of the game's narrative and the player's reaction to that, what they choose and why, is infinitely more important than whether or not the math checks out)

Where does it fall on the moral scale if you had to go and buy all the trophies first?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was looking through trophies the other day and wondering, does anyone know how the back end for the trophy rarity system works? Like, is it for every instance of that game for all time? Does it apply to every time that game is played even if it's only for 3 minutes and then put down forever? How often is it updated?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kibayasu posted:

Where does it fall on the moral scale if you had to go and buy all the trophies first?

just like everything its devoid of meaning except for what you give it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

As the venerable NieR: Automata character Friedrich Nietzsche once said: “no plats are true, all plats are permitted”

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Kojima is hinting that 2019 is death strandings year tho too and there was some retailer leak of it being q2 but idk if that was a hoax.

On one hand I want Death Stranding now, but on the other hand I'm gonna feel robbed if I don't get another year of Kojima banging the hype drum with bigger and better trailers and gameplay demonstrations. Dude needs to cut at least four more trailers before I'm satisfied.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

acksplode posted:

On one hand I want Death Stranding now, but on the other hand I'm gonna feel robbed if I don't get another year of Kojima banging the hype drum with bigger and better trailers and gameplay demonstrations. Dude needs to cut at least four more trailers before I'm satisfied.

Personally, I demand a trailer even more confusing than what we have seen, put in cinemas, without any indication for the moviegoers that what they haven seen is not a movie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

that's like 100% of my posts you goddamned rear end in a top hat

I know :v:

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

acksplode posted:

Personally, I just want more celebrities in the game. Nothing makes a story and new characters more immersive than faces/voices that I can recognize from other games or films.

To be honest though, when Emma Stone was rumored to be in the game I was pretty excited.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

RE 7 Biohazard at 15 bucks is itching my trigger finger pretty hard, although I’m in no rush to play it and I feel like it’s got future PS Plus offering written all over it.

Don't skip the season pass. Not A Hero and Banned Footage are merely pretty OK but End of Zoe is a loving blast.

E: Also I didn't do the thing in NieR: A. Fight me. :colbert: But there's this flower on the title screen of NieR and I have a bunch of trophies, which is weird. Only just started the game...

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Dewgy posted:

Don't skip the season pass. Not A Hero and Banned Footage are merely pretty OK but End of Zoe is a loving blast.

This. I had a blast with the majority of the DLC, but the 21 game part was frustrating and tedious. Everything else from the season pass is well worth it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

Personally, I just want more celebrities in the game. Nothing makes a story and new characters more immersive than faces/voices that I can recognize from other games or films.

To be honest though, when Emma Stone was rumored to be in the game I was pretty excited.

God help us if Kanye manages to track down Kojima.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

God help us if Kanye manages to track down Kojima.

You talkin bout a digitized cool af glasses wearing version of a superpowered bipolar rapper who propels the game narrative forward by telling everyone what he thinks no matter what and gently caress gettin on the stage takin that mic you if you ain't with him then you against him even if you roll your swagger with an interdimensional cyberbaby on your back and also slavery was a choice?

It's done. I LOVE it.

IT'S IN THE GAME!

NEXT!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Holy poo poo, guys, Amplitude is so good. I'd never thought I'd be having fun with a rhythm game in 2019 but here we are

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Samuringa posted:

Holy poo poo, guys, Amplitude is so good. I'd never thought I'd be having fun with a rhythm game in 2019 but here we are

Same except Beat Saber

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm imagining Kanye West in a Kojima game, and...I think I approve.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

You talkin bout a digitized cool af glasses wearing version of a superpowered bipolar rapper who propels the game narrative forward by telling everyone what he thinks no matter what and gently caress gettin on the stage takin that mic you if you ain't with him then you against him even if you roll your swagger with an interdimensional cyberbaby on your back and also slavery was a choice?

It's done. I LOVE it.

IT'S IN THE GAME!

NEXT!

Timed boss fight where you have to somehow get to Kanye's floating platform before he finishes a 25-minute rant about how Frank Ocean deserves a Grammy

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

That’s what it is - I could never explain why GTA annoys me so much and I love Yakuza but I think it’s just the meanness of GTA be Kiryu trying his best

I love GTA and Rockstar games but I feel you. Yakuza (at least in my experience) never comes off as arrogant or mean spirited. Even the jokey stupid as hell moron characters are endearing and likable. They are sincere in a world that is deathly afraid of not seeming cool or uncaring.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Steep being a free game this month is awesome because i saw a trailer for it like a year before it came out, thought, "oh that's gonna be sweet," and then didn't think about it again until now

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

Steep being a free game this month is awesome because i saw a trailer for it like a year before it came out, thought, "oh that's gonna be sweet," and then didn't think about it again until now
I remember it being on some sale for like $20 and glancing at it cause I'd like something in that genre but remembering people said it was not that great so I didn't buy it and that's pretty much what I want my PS+ games to be, aside from stuff I genuinely intended to buy like Kiwami.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

Timed boss fight where you have to somehow get to Kanye's floating platform before he finishes a 25-minute rant about how Frank Ocean deserves a Grammy

Walking upriver as the corpses of the people he's dissed float past you.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I remember it being on some sale for like $20 and glancing at it cause I'd like something in that genre but remembering people said it was not that great so I didn't buy it and that's pretty much what I want my PS+ games to be, aside from stuff I genuinely intended to buy like Kiwami.

I played the free weekend of Steep and enjoyed it, but the always-online requirement gave me pause as far as buying it. I even passed up a $15 disc copy because of that, but I happily grabbed it from Plus, and if they kill the servers, it’s not a problem!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

I love GTA and Rockstar games but I feel you. Yakuza (at least in my experience) never comes off as arrogant or mean spirited..

Rockstar games, in particular the GTA series, are the most cynically edgy mainstream games I've played. They've got such a rotten core. Good games though!

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Does Steep have fun multiplayer?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Finally finished the main story in RDR2 and this is one of the most conflicted games I've ever played.

On the one hand it's one of the best of 2018 and has some elements that are a couple of years ahead of other games, it's also the best writing R* has done by a country mile.

On the other it also has some frustrating 14+ year old design choices that R* still insist on forcing upon you and are pretty annoying.

Also it's a massive game, there was a whole like 20% of the map I didn't even go to until the epilogue :psyduck: and seems like I missed a bunch of stuff here! I barely even touched the hunting stuff or some of the other collectables.

I really enjoyed it but also have a bunch of problems with it and totally see why you would bounce off it.

Things I liked:
+ Arthur's character arc, particularly the last third I did not see the twist with the TB coming, and the way they worked that into missions was really well done.
+ Getting drunk with Lenny was awesome, probably the best gaming moment of 2018, and it's crazy that they worked in a bunch of mechanics for this one mission only that are never used again.
+ The quality of the animation & graphics and just world in general is sublime.
+ Voice acting, sound effects and music are all excellent.

Disliked:
- You can unlock fast-travel, but only to and from certain points, you will still spend 50% of the game riding on your horse.
- The forced slow walking speed in camp is just aaargh.
- Never saving your gun load-out and having to re-select them every time you get off your horse gets old very quickly and there is no way QA wouldn't have flagged this, which means it is by design and I can't believe they thought this was a good idea.
- Insta-failing a mission when you go slightly off the marked path, really!?
- Far too many contextual controls, but you do get used to them.
- The epilogue is several hours too long, it was obvious what they were building up to and I wish they just got to it quicker.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Wow pyre is really loving good. I bounced off it like 3 separate times last year but I powered through the first 4-5 hours and now I see what the fuss is all about.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
FFXV: Extremely cool that, in the chapter 7 dungeon, I get to one of the last fights (two liches and a bunch of creme brule) and my entire party managed to get locked out of the room. :rip:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It always kinda blows my mind that the younger characters that survive the Red Dead games stand a decent chance of living until the 1960s and one day could be listening to the Beatles or something.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Necrothatcher posted:

It always kinda blows my mind that the younger characters that survive the Red Dead games stand a decent chance of living until the 1960s and one day could be listening to the Beatles or something.

They all probably voted for Nixon on their deathbeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Manatee Cannon posted:

the january plus games are pretty underwhelming this year huh

I haven't tried Steep yet, but I do intend to, as I've always enjoyed snowboarding games. Not sure I've ever played one that wasn't decidedly arcade-y, but if it's more realistic in the way that skate (the games) were, then all the better.

Amplitude is downloadable for PS4 if you add it to your cart (it's advertised as a PS3 game.) It's good.