Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Chrono Trigger hot take: Toriyama's art is ugly and every game he does the portrait work for looks worse by his inclusion

I think it translated really well for being converted into sprite art, at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Chrono Trigger's soundtrack is what got me into music theory.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

cheetah7071 posted:

are Japanese-style western-made RPGs like Undertale JRPGs?

I'd say so, but tbh I never got behind the strict geographical interpretation of this stuff

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'd say yes. jrpg and wrpgs are genre names now, the geographical distinction that gave them those names is antiquated and irrelevant

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

exquisite tea posted:

Chrono Trigger's soundtrack is what got me into music theory.

For all my thinking on what makes good bideo game music 'good' you'd think I'd be more interested in the theory :v:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Cowcaster posted:

everyone likes to burst through walls and out of cupboards and through the floor to point out exceptions and edge cases and whatever whenever you try and classify these things but my opinion is that a JRPG is the opposite of a WRPG (a.k.a. a CRPG) and my metrics for each are as follows
I don't think WRPGs and CRPGs are the same thing. CRPGs are isometric RPGs usually based on a Pen & Paper RPG system.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thank you for the replies! It always interests me because it is a genre I have played very little of (same with CRPGs and not as many WRPGs either). I mostly have played platformers, puzzlers, point n clicks and FPSes in my time video gaming.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Relax Or DIE posted:

Here's a question for y'all - what's the closest you've been to 100%/platinum in a game before giving up?

For me, it was Dark Souls 2. All I had left was two or three achievements, both for having all spells of a specific type, and I was only missing one spell each. All of then required either a ton of PvP or playing deep into new game++, and with Bloodborne about to release I ended up bailing. I liked PvP in DS2 so I wouldn't have minded, but I believe one of the spells required you to get X number of points in a dueling arena, which you could lose if you lost, and I'm way not into big grinds that you can lose progress on.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. All I needed to do was get through the whole game without being seen or anything like that. It's actually not that difficult at all once you know all the maps and have all your augs maxed and your inventory stuffed with batteries. However, the game never proc'd the achievement despite qualifying for it at least 3 different times.

If you don't want to count glitching achievements, then Wolfenstein: The New Order. I just had to beat the final boss on Uber difficulty but I couldn't manage it before I moved on to other games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want more first person dungeon crawler RPGs to come out. There’s been a resurgence of them on Steam among indie developers, but what I am really looking forward to is Shin Megami Tensei V.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

everyone likes to burst through walls and out of cupboards and through the floor to point out exceptions and edge cases and whatever whenever you try and classify these things but my opinion is that a JRPG is the opposite of a WRPG (a.k.a. a CRPG) and my metrics for each are as follows:

A JRPG:
-Pre-created characters whose actions, mechanical development, and personalities are largely determined entirely by the game and not the player
-Pre-scripted plot with little to no agency on the player's part to change its direction or ending
-If turn based, typically has menu based combat

A WRPG:
-Blank slate main character, or even entire parties, whose actions, mechanical development, and personalities (or lack thereof) are largely determined entirely by the player (dialogue trees ahoy)
-Although typically has one major quest whose ending is largely the same for everyone, where and how the player gets there and what they do along the way is open-ended
-If turn based, typically has tile or isometric based combat

notably, the witcher games and the mass effect series have a lot more jrpg in their blood than what i'd consider a pure crpg

SaGa is my favorite WRPG series

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Did anyone give ATOM RPG a try? Russians took Fallout 1 and 2 mechanics, dumped it in a new engine and then created an entirely new game. Instead of it being 60's American wasteland, it's 80's Soviet Union wasteland so you have people listening to state sponsored propaganda, old military generals running towns and you punching huge spiders so you can collect mushrooms for a local brewery for vodka.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

you're blazing through this game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
while you're on the boat I think there's a cabinet you can kick and it'll give you a potion if you have fewer than 20 in your inventory so you can just keep kicking it

e: might be the next boat

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I said come in! posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2 has the best fishing because you can use dynamite to fish. Which officially makes it a JRPG.

I had to collect fish skins for crafting in Horizon Zero Dawn, and since there was no fishing mode I had to bow-fish with explosive arrows

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Chrono Trigger remains the best jrpg ever made.

it's good but not even in the top 3 for the snes

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Archer666 posted:

Did anyone give ATOM RPG a try? Russians took Fallout 1 and 2 mechanics, dumped it in a new engine and then created an entirely new game. Instead of it being 60's American wasteland, it's 80's Soviet Union wasteland so you have people listening to state sponsored propaganda, old military generals running towns and you punching huge spiders so you can collect mushrooms for a local brewery for vodka.

Here's what I know about it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think my favorite super nintendo JRPG (discounting SRPGs) is Dragon Quest 5 probably though I played it on DS. if you only count games I played the actual super nintendo version of and continue to discount SRPGs it's Chrono Trigger almost by default cause I've played like two

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cheetah7071 posted:

Chrono Trigger hot take: Toriyama's art is ugly and every game he does the portrait work for looks worse by his inclusion

i want to like blue dragon but it's not possible because i can't stand toriyama's style

corn in the bible posted:

SaGa is my favorite WRPG series

that's funny, i always describe saga games as "like western rpgs but made in japan" to people who haven't played them

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the only thing i know about atom is there's a couple of npc portraits that are jay and jack from red letter media

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Live a Live, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, Tactics Ogre (srpgs count imo), and Dragon Quest 5!!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

MMF Freeway posted:

:yikes:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Relax Or DIE posted:

I never got behind the strict geographical interpretation of this stuff
Its the only one that has any actual consistency to it and isn't incredibly forced.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

Cowcaster posted:

the only thing i know about atom is there's a couple of npc portraits that are jay and jack from red letter media

Didn't expect that. Now I know I'll keep playing just to see how weird/bad this can get.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like Chrono Trigger and its artwork for the most part but I still get confused when looking at the reptites because they're supposed to be these bipedal sapient dinosaur creature things but instead they just look like weird eggheaded aliens, like the vortex from Ecco the Dolphin.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MMF Freeway posted:

That's enormously hosed up and offensive.

Two adverbs in one sentence, I mean who writes this garbage.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looper posted:

it's good but not even in the top 3 for the snes

This is so completely wrong and bad. There’s no valid opinion where Chrono Trigger isn’t in the top 3. I know i’m being an over reactionary nerd here, but it’s the truth.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Chrono Triggered hahaha

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Why is it always snes games that people get weird about

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Allow me to quote this Video Gomes eminence who will shed some light on this discussion:

Edmond Dantes posted:

Hope that clears up any confusion. Thanks for reading.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Chrono Trigger is the only JRPG I've actually finished and therefore the best. Also it has an amazing DS port which got me through a lot of train journeys

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

gotta disagree with you there, though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f4eGQ9MIWM

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't think Chrono trigger makes it to my top 5 snes jrpgs. It's probably 6th.

If srpgs count it's even lower

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I feel like the only way your favorite RPG is on the SNES is if you grew up with it and have nostalgia goggles on

Now, let me tell you about how mario 64 is the greatest 3d platformer ever made

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I feel like the only way your favorite RPG is on the SNES is if you grew up with it and have nostalgia goggles on

Can't be good if it can be beaten in half an A press.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Motto posted:

Why is it always snes games that people get weird about

genesis just wasn't popular enough :smith:

dynamite headdy, you could have been someone in another universe

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

chumbler posted:

Can't be good if it can be beaten in half an A press.

(volume check)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff9ldkz1h1M

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Cowcaster posted:

A JRPG:
-Pre-scripted plot with little to no agency on the player's part to change its direction or ending
-If turn based, typically has menu based combat

A WRPG:
-Blank slate main character, or even entire parties, whose actions, mechanical development, and personalities (or lack thereof) are largely determined entirely by the player (dialogue trees ahoy)
-Although typically has one major quest whose ending is largely the same for everyone, where and how the player gets there and what they do along the way is open-ended

notably, the witcher games and the mass effect series have a lot more jrpg in their blood than what i'd consider a pure crpg

Is the bolded part why you say that about Mass Effect? If it’s not, I’d be interested in hearing why you think this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't know, FF5 is pretty good

(ok I know it wasn't really a snes game in the west but it still counts imo)