Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

enraged_camel posted:

Nah, sorry. You don't get to have your country push their own interests halfway around the world, and then criticize when other countries fight for their own interests on their own soil and around their own borders. "But I don't agree with the US" is just a loving cop out. Must be nice, reaping the benefits of decades of US imperialism while at the same time disconnecting yourself from its moral hazards.

Are you just opining about how life's not fair or something? Seems kind of odd given your other statements pertaining to Kurdish independence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Anyway, just so we're all clear on this itt...

Empires bad.

Not sure if that's gonna raise some hackles.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

But.

BUT.

What if empires good?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

MiddleOne posted:

But.

BUT.

What if empires good?

[Anti imperialism screeches]

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

HorrificExistence posted:

The Ottoman empire was the greatest force for anti-imperialism in the 19th century.

is this too long for a thread title

e: shut up leomarr

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 7, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cease to Hope posted:

is this too long for a thread title

We should just shorten it to Ottoman empire Anti Imperialist & great
The turkonazi sympathisers would be happy with the acknowledgemebt

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think that's a little too on the nose. What about something more subdued like 'all hail Erdogan'?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

enraged_camel posted:

What is your solution? I'd like to hear something that is practical and realistic and goes beyond "well, one side should just take the higher road and forget the crimes and sins of the other side :angel:"

Imagine thinking that fighting back against your own genocide is a "crime and sin"

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

LeoMarr posted:

The turkonazi sympathisers would be happy with the acknowledgemebt

The term your looking for is Grey Wolves.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_Wolves_(organization)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

420 Gank Mid posted:

Imagine thinking that fighting back against your own genocide is a "crime and sin"

Just fyi: this is the same guy who believes Elon Musk is going to save mankind by taking people to Mars.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

whoa hold up, why are we bringing polytheists into this.

Really though, if we had a single quasi-political caliph (like the pope for the xtians) the sunni world would be a lot more stable

Yeah, we are morally obligated to support the Sauds in their mission to unite the Umma

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

hat's not fair, as the people falling under that ideology are way more numerous than the GW. It would be like saying that the only racists in the US are the KKK.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

LeoMarr posted:

I should go make a wikipedia article called "The turkish Peace"to reflect this great development in turkish politics so people on far away forums can quote a 3 paragraph wiki page

pretty sure searching for "Turkish Peace" on wikipedia just redirects to this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, we are morally obligated to support the Sauds in their mission to unite the Umma

IDK The U.S. helps the Israelis with their religious quests, why draw the line there?

Grape posted:

Just a couple of guys really interested in historical regional peace.

wow Imagine That. A country having an honor guard based on historic uniforms of a predecessor state. Completely unheard of

Frond posted:

My great grandfather would disagree.

And this is what happened when Turkish liberals introduced nationalism instead of unifying traditionalism.

in other words

Zudgemud posted:

And these things come from embracing that you are a multi ethnic power, not the hypernationalist ethnostate which is what modern Turkey has been promoting since its founding and which is at the core of the Turkey-kurd conflict.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

hat's not fair, as the people falling under that ideology are way more numerous than the GW. It would be like saying that the only racists in the US are the KKK.

Yeah but much like I'm gonna call Trump voters Nazis, I feel pretty comfortable calling mainstream Turkish awfulness something along those lines.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Squalid posted:

pretty sure searching for "Turkish Peace" on wikipedia just redirects to this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert

GodDAMN yikes lol
This is a severe enough burn that I'm gonna forgive you for earlier doubting us.

And this is what happened when Turkish liberals introduced nationalism instead of unifying traditionalism.

So like, ARE you a Strasserite?

Grape fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 7, 2019

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

IDK The U.S. helps the Israelis with their religious quests, why draw the line there?

And as we know, we are in a forum full of the US Israeli policy hawks!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Grape posted:

Yeah but much like I'm gonna call Trump voters Nazis, I feel pretty comfortable calling mainstream Turkish awfulness something along those lines.

Well, sure, but because most people lack the context for this sort of debate on foreign countries' policies, seemingly reducing the issue to a particular group risks creating an illusion that a problem is limited and contained, when it's actually widespread and very dangerous. But I guess that's more of a concern outside these dead forums halls.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Horrific Existence please give me your Cyprus take.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Grape posted:

I thought you said you don't want people "Cyprusplain"ing to you. :rolleyes:

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Grape posted:

𒀝𒅗𒁺𒌑

need more be said?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

𒀝𒅗𒁺𒌑

need more be said?

Four squares.... on the edge of a cliff?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Netanyahu's been asking Trump recently to recognize Israeli sovereignty over Golan to compensate Israel for withdrawing from Syria, which is loving insane, especially since we weren't there on behalf of Israel in the first place (or we would have been fighting Assad rather than ISIS).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Grape posted:

Anyway, just so we're all clear on this itt...

Empires bad.

Not sure if that's gonna raise some hackles.

The only thing that stops a bad empire with an army is a good empire with an army.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Grape posted:

Four squares.... on the edge of a cliff?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Grape posted:

GodDAMN yikes lol
This is a severe enough burn that I'm gonna forgive you for earlier doubting us.

So like, ARE you a Strasserite?

This whole discussion has me feeling rather down. I probably agree with you about much more than enraged_camel but you're coming off as an rear end while he's being reasonable, and most of the arguments everyone's using are bad. Can't really be arsed to say anything.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sinteres posted:

Netanyahu's been asking Trump recently to recognize Israeli sovereignty over Golan to compensate Israel for withdrawing from Syria, which is loving insane, especially since we weren't there on behalf of Israel in the first place (or we would have been fighting Assad rather than ISIS).

Come on. Israel is one of the two reasons the USA cares about the Middle East at all.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

Come on. Israel is one of the two reasons the USA cares about the Middle East at all.

Defending Israel certainly isn't why Obama started fighting ISIS in northern Syria, and Trump more or less thinks getting involved was a mistake in the first place. A lot of people around Trump turned our goal there into blocking Iranian influence to protect Israel (or at least wanted to use that as an excuse to stick around), but it isn't what either president running the war had in mind.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sinteres posted:

Defending Israel certainly isn't why Obama started fighting ISIS in northern Syria, and Trump more or less thinks getting involved was a mistake in the first place. A lot of people around Trump turned our goal there into blocking Iranian influence to protect Israel (or at least wanted to use that as an excuse to stick around), but it isn't what either president running the war had in mind.

Sure, but I didn't say "President", I said "the USA". The military-industrial complex exerts its influence over the entire US foreign policy, regardless of the goals of any individual president.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

Sure, but I didn't say "President", I said "the USA". The military-industrial complex exerts its influence over the entire US foreign policy, regardless of the goals of any individual president.

So the president should tell Bibi to gently caress himself. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make other than your big argument for that day that US bad so Turkish ethnic cleansing good.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sinteres posted:

So the president should tell Bibi to gently caress himself. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make other than your big argument for that day that US bad so Turkish ethnic cleansing good.

Both are bad, actually!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

arent those the same thing

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=Turkish+peace

Man theres a hole just ready for a 3 pargraph wiki page to be written on how turkey has always lookes for pece in the region *sources two ak parti members*

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

unifying traditionalism.

This guy's a facist, don't argue with him.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This girl has pretty much taken over my news feed. She's live tweeting her situation and it's definitely worth the read.

https://mobile.twitter.com/rahaf84427714/status/1082005121016320001

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

fez_machine posted:

C'mon, he's pretty obviously joking. Dude called an empire a bulwark against imperialism, and said 'nationalism bad, unifying traditionalism good'. The scary bit is when people start agreeing with him.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Darth Walrus posted:

C'mon, he's pretty obviously joking. Dude called an empire a bulwark against imperialism, and said 'nationalism bad, unifying traditionalism good'. The scary bit is when people start agreeing with him.

Check his rap sheet and our man has been doing a bit for quite a long while if so.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Grape posted:

Check his rap sheet and our man has been doing a bit for quite a long while if so.

After a skim, I think that's probably the case. Dude has been doing weird, ironic hot takes all thread, he's just getting more obvious about it now.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

fez_machine posted:

nice actual islamophobia dude, i guess having an ethnically exclusive state founded on nationalism is less fascist than having a vibrant diverse society where you have to pay a tax on liquor and cant charge interest. Replacing traditional islamic progressivism with a rabid sectarianism in order to "modernize" is why turkey is hosed up today.

HorrificExistence fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Volkerball posted:

This girl has pretty much taken over my news feed. She's live tweeting her situation and it's definitely worth the read.

https://mobile.twitter.com/rahaf84427714/status/1082005121016320001

I wonder if we’re going to see this trend become increasingly common? Maybe a lot of young Arab women heard what the UAE princess said before her capture and decided she had the right idea