Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Aerox posted:

According to their website Saturday afternoon is their slowest time and the best time to try a walkup so I'm going to do that this weekend and if it doesn't work just do the 8am in the middle of the weekday thing and be late to work.

More like "...and miss work."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

God help you if you're a woman who dared change her name due to marriage or divorce, especially if you move your maiden name to your middle name.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Aerox posted:

According to their website Saturday afternoon is their slowest time and the best time to try a walkup so I'm going to do that this weekend and if it doesn't work just do the 8am in the middle of the weekday thing and be late to work.

Last time I spent 2.5 hours in a DMV line when I got to the counter the guy was like "hey so I work extra shifts on Saturday mornings and you can basically walk in because nobody knows we're open" specifically about the main LA DMV by downtown.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jaxyon posted:

This is a great example of people ingesting conservative talking points but using an entirely liberal/leftist route to get there.

Yeah, like people aren't willing to shank each other to get into UCLA.

L my loving ao, that doesn't mean they provide a good education. gently caress off with this "you're secretly brainwashed by conservative talking points" poo poo. I would say globally people recognize places like Harvard, Oxford, MIT, Cambridge, Caltech, and Stanford long before they recognize the UC system. And the US's reputation for education has plummeted steadily for decades.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

L my loving ao, that doesn't mean they provide a good education. gently caress off with this "you're secretly brainwashed by conservative talking points" poo poo. I would say globally people recognize places like Harvard, Oxford, MIT, Cambridge, Caltech, and Stanford long before they recognize the UC system. And the US's reputation for education has plummeted steadily for decades.

You're very not mad about my comment and also sorry the UC system still has a really good reputation, not that they aren't trying to gently caress that up.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Berkeley, at least, is absolutely in that tier.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

raminasi posted:

That's why it's the only one I cited in my post!

Like, I get that Cali is a beacon of light in the barren wasteland that is the rest of the US's college system. But globally? Nah, you're tripping. CA is not the envy of the world.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

raminasi posted:

This is a dumb fight to have but UCLA ranks higher than Berkeley and UCSD is also seriously well respected.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2018/world-ranking#!/page/1/length/25/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats

UC has 4 schools in the top 60 alone.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

"giving a world class education" and "giving access to the american and global power elite" are distinct things and no public university can provide the latter for obvious reasons

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 8, 2019

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Jaxyon posted:

This is a dumb fight to have but UCLA ranks higher than Berkeley and UCSD is also seriously well respected.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2018/world-ranking#!/page/1/length/25/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats

UC has 4 schools in the top 60 alone.

ummm on that chart, Berkeley is ranked higher than UCLA - and it wouldn't even be close if Berkeley was combined with its medical school across the bay - UCSF. Those two combined together make up a top 5 five research university in the world.

but you are correct it is a dumb fight to have

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Reading back I think the letter comes on a bit strong by stating that the UC system is the envy of the world, which is what cro was laughing at initially. I don't know of any university level public school system that's the envy of the world.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Last time I spent 2.5 hours in a DMV line when I got to the counter the guy was like "hey so I work extra shifts on Saturday mornings and you can basically walk in because nobody knows we're open" specifically about the main LA DMV by downtown.

warning: this absolutely does not work in the inland empire.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FMguru posted:

People who agitate to cut the gas tax and car registration fees, and then bitch about the long lines at the dmv are my favorite. Cause, effect - like what the gently caress even are they? And how are they related? It is a mystery.

If my parents are anything to go by the DMV would be faster if we stopped giving licenses to all the illegals.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

God help you if you're a woman who dared change her name due to marriage or divorce, especially if you move your maiden name to your middle name.

My wife just did this (because we got married) and I felt absolutely horrible. To be fair, I did offer to take her name.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'm gonna use my passport to fly until my driver's license expires in 2021. Even if I didn't have a passport, sounds like it'd be less hassle to get that than a new driver's license lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

personally im not going to bother getting a new drivers license for plane travel because by 2020 or whenever that goes into effect im going to assume that all of the tsa agents will have quit over not getting paid and there wont be anyone i need to show my license to anyway

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009

incoherent posted:

warning: this absolutely does not work in the inland empire.

The last few times I’ve gone to the Riverside DMV I’ve gotten piss drunk with someone waiting outside. Nobody likes to wait that long, but when it’s so long that you absolutely need to take the day off of work, it’s nice to share a fifth of whiskey and make a new friend over the course of 5 to 8 hours.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I figure it's worth trying with a non-RealID license to see if the TSA actually notices.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My wife just had to go do the new RealID thing. She wanted an appointment but the next one was March, and her current license expires at the end of this month.

After going in and standing in line, the lady told her she had to bring a bill with her address on it. Even though she had her passport, social security card, old not-yet-expired ID, all with the same address on it, and even though none of the paperwork or the online site indicated she needed this. I'm like halfway to thinking the DMV worker was simply wrong about the requirement. Then they made photocopies (not scans, photocopies) of all her poo poo and carried it to a back desk to physically hand to some other person. Also she got chewed out because when she came in, someone wrote three letters on her forms, and at the desk those three letters meant a regular and not RealID license, which how the gently caress was she supposed to know that, she told them RealID.

People get mad about DMV not because there are lines, but because a lot of the time you get dicked around unnecessarily. You stood in the wrong line, someone told you to do the wrong form, you can't get an appointment, etc. etc. And the reason that happens is because of bad training, understaffing, bad/broken software systems, overcrowding, and the inability of DMV employees to suffer their awful jobs for years on end without becoming angry, lazy, bossy, semi-comatose, or developing some other obvious psychological affliction from the trauma.

In other words, the place is underfunded.

FMguru posted:

People who agitate to cut the gas tax and car registration fees, and then bitch about the long lines at the dmv are my favorite. Cause, effect - like what the gently caress even are they? And how are they related? It is a mystery.

There's no special reason that DMV has to be paid for with gas taxes or car registration fees. It makes sense, but government functions can also just be paid for from general funds. And gas taxes in particular tend to be regressive, because being richer does not directly correlate to driving more or having lower MPG ratings on your cars.

You're right though that given that DMV is currently funded that way (at least in part?), agitating for lower gas taxes or car reg fees should probably be coupled with demands to shift the sources of funding for things paid for by those taxes to something else, ideally progressive income or property tax or something.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think gas taxes are pretty progressive for anyone who wants to live on this planet in 20 years

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

After going in and standing in line, the lady told her she had to bring a bill with her address on it. Even though she had her passport, social security card, old not-yet-expired ID, all with the same address on it, and even though none of the paperwork or the online site indicated she needed this. I'm like halfway to thinking the DMV worker was simply wrong about the requirement. Then they made photocopies (not scans, photocopies) of all her poo poo and carried it to a back desk to physically hand to some other person. Also she got chewed out because when she came in, someone wrote three letters on her forms, and at the desk those three letters meant a regular and not RealID license, which how the gently caress was she supposed to know that, she told them RealID.

It very much says you have to. (https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/realid)
From that site it says you need:
1) Identity, such as a certified U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport, permanent resident card, or unexpired foreign passport with valid U.S. visa and approved I-94 form.
2) Social Security number, such as Social Security Card (here’s how to order a replacement one) or W-2 form with full SSN.
3) California residency, such as home utility bill that lists your name and physical address (a P.O. Box can be used as the mailing address to receive your REAL ID, but your residency document must display a P.O. Box and physical address).

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
yeah I saw that and had brought in like 3 different bills just incase, but they didn't even ask for that because you can use your existing california drivers license for 3). at least they did to me and my girlfriend and didn't even ask for all the bills and rental poo poo i brought with me.

the cool thing is they didnt punch my old license so it's still good for bars and poo poo or if I lose mine, I'll probably just keep my realid card at home until I need to fly with it just because eh why not. but the other clerk punched my gfs license in the corner. who knows. they do seem poorly trained and very poor instructions on what to do and things like that.

like yeah i also got yelled at because i used my phone to write down the code at the end of the computer and I guess I wasn't supposed to use my phone in the area, and I was supposed to write it down on this piece of paper but no one gave me that to begin with and the clerk at the computer area was very confused about why i didn't have that slip. it all worked out but yeah it was extremely sloppy

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 8, 2019

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My social security card is needed? Jesus christ I don't remember the last time I saw mine.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

My social security card is needed? Jesus christ I don't remember the last time I saw mine.

If you have a passport you can use that, or birth certificate. but yeah I somehow lost mine in a move. I need to get it replaced but it won't let me do it online, hopefully the SSA is not a shitshow. Ive just been lazy

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

You can go online and get the ssa to send you a new one. It takes a week or two.

https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/

*Are a U.S. citizen age 18 or older with a U.S. mailing address (this includes APO, FPO, and DPO addresses);
*Are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card; and
*Have a driver’s license or state-issued identification card from one of the many participating states or the District of Columbia.

It doesn't work for all states, but it does work for CA.

Spazzle fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 8, 2019

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

People get mad about DMV not because there are lines, but because a lot of the time you get dicked around unnecessarily. You stood in the wrong line, someone told you to do the wrong form, you can't get an appointment, etc. etc. And the reason that happens is because of bad training, understaffing, bad/broken software systems, overcrowding, and the inability of DMV employees to suffer their awful jobs for years on end without becoming angry, lazy, bossy, semi-comatose, or developing some other obvious psychological affliction from the trauma.

In other words, the place is underfunded.

That was my experience when I went to register a car I bought out of state a couple months ago. On my first visit it was the week of the fires and I waited inside for about 3 hours until I saw a guy who looked over all of my paperwork, applied $300 in fines to my registration and then told me he couldn't finish the process because nobody was leaving the building to do VIN checks on account of the smoke, but that I could pay.

Like...could you have told me that at the front before you gave me a number and saw I was there for a registration? geeze? When I returned though, I got a very nice lady who looked through my paperwork, applied none of the fines but said I had a signature missing (which the first person said nothing about.) I opted to pay that time because hey, lock-in the re-roll.

Third time, it was just the normal wait to hand over the paperwork.

Writing this, I also just realized they said they'd send me a new title...but I've yet to get one in the mail a month later. Fuuuuck.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spazzle posted:

It very much says you have to. (https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/realid)
From that site it says you need:
1) Identity, such as a certified U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport, permanent resident card, or unexpired foreign passport with valid U.S. visa and approved I-94 form.
2) Social Security number, such as Social Security Card (here’s how to order a replacement one) or W-2 form with full SSN.
3) California residency, such as home utility bill that lists your name and physical address (a P.O. Box can be used as the mailing address to receive your REAL ID, but your residency document must display a P.O. Box and physical address).

Yeah, except who still gets physical bills? My wife wound up bringing in a pay stub, which she only gets in snail mail because she works in a tiny nonprofit, and even so she has direct deposit so it's just a statement. I get no bills in the mail.

But as Xaris said, you're not supposed to need a bill if you have other ID with your address. One of the items listed in the PDF for #3 is "A document issued by a government agency (local, state, or federal)" which surely should include a US passport.

And the residency documentation requirements are frankly laughable anyway, in that anyone who is faking california residency can trivially come up with some of them. Like "Faith-based documents, including name and address of organization" lol. I'm glad the local church is now responsible for legally validating someone's address is legit before signing them up to the newsletter.

In any case it's just an example of the hassle and annoyance that makes people hate the DMV.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

any church that provides identifying documents for government purposes kind of missed the boat on where every other church went with that

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1082747927729262592

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

if the state actually banned business waste like plastic packaging that would do so much good for the environment

but we cant even require that growers put awnings over their open air irrigation to not let all our drat water theyre stealing evaporate lol rip

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Telling CVS to gently caress off with the insane receipts would be the best thing ever. It isn't actually punishing them meaningfully, it's just flexing and forcing them to stop being assholes.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

gently caress receipts. Whats poo poo is they primt even if you dont want them. I think the last receipt i kept is for a newport blowtorch so i can recycle through them as they break for 3 to 5 years. In the digital world we should be able to just have a receipt sent to the bank accessible through your transaction history.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Infinite Karma posted:

Telling CVS to gently caress off with the insane receipts would be the best thing ever. It isn't actually punishing them meaningfully, it's just flexing and forcing them to stop being assholes.

CVS will automatically send your receipt to your email if you have an account number and opt-in to it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kaal posted:

CVS will automatically send your receipt to your email if you have an account number and opt-in to it.

Protip: Just use the Jenny number anytime you shop at any place with a rewards program (XXX-867-5309) so that all your spending habits are anonymized and mixed up with hundreds of other people.

A few times I've used it at CVS there's been rewards on the account and I got $5 off or whatever.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

LeoMarr posted:

gently caress receipts. Whats poo poo is they primt even if you dont want them. I think the last receipt i kept is for a newport blowtorch so i can recycle through them as they break for 3 to 5 years. In the digital world we should be able to just have a receipt sent to the bank accessible through your transaction history.

I crumple them up and throw them around the house for my cat to chase, she likes the crinkling sound and I get them for free vs buying a pack of toys that make the same sound at the pet store. Just have a stack of receipts ready to become cat toys at a moments notice.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
It really blows that California has to ask permission to pursue single payer

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article224037840.html

quote:

Also on Monday, Newsom sent a letter to Trump and congressional leaders asking for permission for California to pursue a government-funded health care system known as “single payer.” It’s unlikely the federal government will cooperate with Newsom’s liberal plans.

Also, this sounds good

quote:

Newsom also announced signing an executive order that makes the Department of Health Care Services responsible for negotiating all drug prices for Medi-Cal, the state’s health insurance program, a dramatic expansion of the department’s power to negotiate prices.

Currently, drug prices for Medi-Cal are negotiated piecemeal by public and private entities. The order also directs state agencies to collaborate when purchasing prescription drugs. It’s intended to give the state leverage to negotiate lower prescription drug costs.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

mitch hedburg told us all that useless receipts for tiny transactions were pointless like 20 years ago and yet here we are

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i keep them to put them on my expense report

until i forgot then it's a pain and i have to forge one bc some construction sites are loving sticklers and won't accept CC statements showing the line items even though it doesn't loving matter

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Protip: Just use the Jenny number anytime you shop at any place with a rewards program (XXX-867-5309) so that all your spending habits are anonymized and mixed up with hundreds of other people.

A few times I've used it at CVS there's been rewards on the account and I got $5 off or whatever.

This no longer works at Safeway as of last year sometime. Luckily I was able to get a Safeway card at a time when their system was down so they just handed me a working card without a phone number or address or anything. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's a bunch of people who are assholes.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/08/dog-daycare-san-francisco-doggy-style

quote:

After all, a private members-only doggy daycare offering an “innovative dog experience” for up to $1,500 a month in a city in the midst of a humanitarian crisis over homelessness smacks of a well-groomed French bulldog yipping: “Let them eat kibble.”

Noe Valley SF, a hyperlocal blog, decried the Doggy Style co-owner Rachel Swann for “bringing ridicule” to the neighborhood, while comments on an SFGate article about the business ranged from scoffing at “people with too much time and money” to the vaguely threatening: “When the Bolsheviks are looking for the first people to shoot, club members will be at the top of the list.”