Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CopperHound posted:

I don't know what is going on in your life, but I don't invite people I don't like into my house to passive aggressively gently caress with them. I imagine not many other people do either.

I grew up in Los Angeles DCFS, I can tell you you're extremely extremely wrong about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

running against NANCY PELOSI'S SAN FRANCISCO VALUES has been a thing that chuds have done all across the country as long as she has been around

Looking down on coastal elites is one thing. I’m talking about openly baying for the blood of the smug computer touchers from Palo Alto who moved to your town for its cheaper housing and caused your rent to skyrocket and your commute time to get much worse.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There are people that are legitimately scared to step foot into California and would actively fear for their lives if they ever did.

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006

CPColin posted:

I wonder if the officers at the Agriculture Inspection Stations have a contingency plan for closing the border if we're in danger of being invaded by other states' militias.

"Are you carrying any fruits, vegetables, or a desire to overthrow the government of California?

Move along."

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Come on, no one ever stops at the agriculture check on 50 in Tahoe.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Come on, no one ever stops at the agriculture check on 50 in Tahoe.

Nobody cares about that one, it's the one on the 15 that adds an hour to your return hell-drive from Vegas when you're hung over.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Looking down on coastal elites is one thing. I’m talking about openly baying for the blood of the smug computer touchers from Palo Alto who moved to your town for its cheaper housing and caused your rent to skyrocket and your commute time to get much worse.

True loving facts. Dudes crowing on the Internet about "California refugees" gentrifying their states all over the place now. It's most noticeable with Texans but the Midwest has them too.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

FCKGW posted:

There are people that are legitimately scared to step foot into California and would actively fear for their lives if they ever did.

the other day i saw some dipshit racist euro binches Bay Area travel video on youtube. They were in SF acting all dipshitty and they told someone "hey were going to OAKLAND later" as if thats some extreme and crazy thing

so then they took a trip to Oakland, stood in front of a bart station in downtown, and then when a black person walked behind them they turned to the camera with a concerned look and said "oakland is scary!"

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Jaxyon posted:

It's just red meat for his base.

Conservatives believe some hilarious poo poo about California.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I live in a red part of California, there's plenty of places to live here if you want to be an rear end in a top hat.

Those places even have semi-affordable housing! (because they're filled with assholes)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
WHAT

THE

gently caress

https://www.sfgate.com/green/article/Suspect-shipyard-contractor-gets-huge-state-13521866.php?t=f39ca8bb0f

quote:

The state agency in charge of wildfire cleanup has awarded a record-breaking $250 million contract to the company at the center of San Francisco’s Superfund scandal — an environmental engineering firm that was caught falsifying soil tests and is being sued by the U.S. Justice Department, whistle-blowers and homeowners.

Pasadena-based Tetra Tech Inc. will lead the “debris management” process after Butte County’s devastating Camp Fire, sparking concerns from environmental groups and the office of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi that a company accused of widespread misconduct in San Francisco will have such a large role in the state’s wildfire recovery.

Two former Tetra Tech cleanup supervisors were sentenced to prison last year after admitting they faked soil tests at the former Hunters Point Naval Shipyard, a 500-acre site tainted with radioactivity. After checking the company’s data, the Navy and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency have said they can’t trust most of it. Now many areas need to be retested and residents living on a purportedly clean part of the shipyard doubt their safety. The Navy has said the fraud and the retesting may cost taxpayers more than $500 million.

How the gently caress is this company still allowed to do business, let alone still get massive government contracts? They completed defrauded the state during the cleanup of Hunter's Point, falsifying testing data and barely doing any of the clean up they were supposed to

And somehow, these fucks get another giant loving contract?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

FCKGW posted:

I live in a red part of California, there's plenty of places to live here if you want to be an rear end in a top hat.

Those places even have semi-affordable housing! (because they're filled with assholes)

I unfortunately have to live in those places since I can’t afford the Bay Area anymore.:smith:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hold your representatives accountable? :shrug:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The Glumslinger posted:

WHAT

THE

gently caress

https://www.sfgate.com/green/article/Suspect-shipyard-contractor-gets-huge-state-13521866.php?t=f39ca8bb0f

How the gently caress is this company still allowed to do business, let alone still get massive government contracts? They completed defrauded the state during the cleanup of Hunter's Point, falsifying testing data and barely doing any of the clean up they were supposed to

And somehow, these fucks get another giant loving contract?

im guessing low bid requirements and that they're desperate for new contracts and probably uber lower balled it

low bid requirements are bad and evil

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Xaris posted:

im guessing low bid requirements and that they're desperate for new contracts and probably uber lower balled it

low bid requirements are bad and evil

Yep, the number of construction and roadwork contracts my agency gives out to companies we know and can demonstrably prove have provided poor or fraudulent work for us in the past because they've somehow managed to remain a certified government contractor and entered the lowest bid is embarrassing. Also yet more proof that "the taxpayer" doesn't know poo poo: significantly less of their tax dollars would be wasted if we were allowed to pay a bit more for a contractor known for quality work, instead of having to take the lowest lowball offer and then spend a ton more on rework, repairs, and litigation. Of course if minimum bid requirements were removed they'd be howling about government waste.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FCKGW posted:

To be fair, have you seen anaheim?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

To be fair, have you seen anaheim?

actually i lived in anaheim for a good portion of my life lol

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
This is a weird tangent, but...

Is there any type of grass that is low water/heat hardy enough to bother with? I know the Xeriscaped/desert environs look is in, but just wondering if anything is worth having that doesn't suck water like a Beverly Hills guest house.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Buffalo Grass is a low water option for grass, but it's availability is usually limited. It's not as pretty as normal fescue/rye/bluegrass, but it's the water friendliest lawn option I've heard of.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Turtlicious posted:

yeah but I get to go "oh you don't see it? that's so weird, see I'm connected." when people you don't like want your wifi.

Ah, fair enough, I don't let those people into wifi range of my house, but I guess sometimes you got to.

The Glumslinger posted:

Tetra Tech, Inc

I thought we'd face consequences for not prosecuting them for the Superfund debacle, but I really didn't expect it to be so soon.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/mlevinreports/status/1083425012923547648

Long twitter thread laying out the stuff that is being planned for Newsom's housing policy

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/mlevinreports/status/1083425012923547648

Long twitter thread laying out the stuff that is being planned for Newsom's housing policy

This seems good? Am i an idiot?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
A lot of it sounds good, though we need more tenant protections to mitigate the risk of gentrification through housing development.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

A lot of it sounds good, though we need more tenant protections to mitigate the risk of gentrification through housing development.

The last election proved Californians hate rent control, so I wouldn’t count on anything like that coming down the pipeline.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

The last election proved Californians hate rent control, so I wouldn’t count on anything like that coming down the pipeline.

Everyone I talked to thought it meant cities could/would revoke rent control, but that's obviously anecdotal.

E: The default, "I'm not sure about this so better vote 'no'" behavior.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

its exhibit number ten jillion that being a giant bloodsucking leech on the face of society has the nice side effect that you have a lot of resources to buy the political system

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Kobayashi posted:

Everyone I talked to thought it meant cities could/would revoke rent control, but that's obviously anecdotal.

E: The default, "I'm not sure about this so better vote 'no'" behavior.

Everyone I talked to thought it would make the housing situation worse because it enables renters under it to be FYGM-minded and block housing development and somebody might benefit from it who “doesn’t really need it”.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Everyone I talked to thought it would make the housing situation worse because it enables renters under it to be FYGM-minded and block housing development and somebody might benefit from it who “doesn’t really need it”.

Ugh.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

remember how in 2016 the pharmaceutical companies tricked everyone into thinking that the proposition to lower drug prices would actually raise drug prices

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:thermidor:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Shear Modulus posted:

remember how in 2016 the pharmaceutical companies tricked everyone into thinking that the proposition to lower drug prices would actually raise drug prices

shh, don't get in the way of a victim-blaming circle

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

or how the dialysis clinics spent a zillion dollars and convinced everyone that the prop to lower dialysis prices would raise dialysis prices

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Shear Modulus posted:

or how the dialysis clinics spent a zillion dollars and convinced everyone that the prop to lower dialysis prices would raise dialysis prices

"months or years to wait for treatment like Communist Canada!"

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
PG&E tried doing the same thing with Prop 16 in 2010; it would have required a 2/3 majority by voters before a local government could establish a public electricity service. So they tried presenting it as actually enhancing choice, that private utilities are cheaper anyway, etc. The entire proposition was essentially bankrolled by PG&E.

It didn't pass (52% No), in part because PG&E underestimated just how much people loving hate them:

The inland counties are amusing, in particular.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
drat, no transport funding unless cities hit their new housing requirements. That’s a pretty big stick.

‘If you don’t build enough new housing, Gavin Newsom will gently caress your spouse (you know he could) and kill your dog.”

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

themrguy posted:

Gavin Newsom will gently caress your spouse (you know he could) and kill your dog.”

Yeah, he's the fully functional version with upgrades.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
It's probably the biggest single problem Cali is facing, so it's warrented.

I mean, obviously climate change is bigger but that's not a Cali specific problem and that's something Brown actually was active on.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
"Do you like High Density Housing initiatives?"

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Jaxyon posted:

It's probably the biggest single problem Cali is facing, so it's warrented.

I mean, obviously climate change is bigger but that's not a Cali specific problem and that's something Brown actually was active on.

Plus housing and climate are related.

Less affordable places near people's work means people need to commute more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Keyser_Soze posted:

"Do you like High Density Housing initiatives?"