Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 18, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 18, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 18, 1987)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Pretty good Tinkersons.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I now believe that Holbrook has some sort of curse placed on him where at least one of his fictional characters has to be pregnant at all times.

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (August 5, 1935)

Thimble Theater is one of the only strips I frequently skip, but this one's great.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze references a comic nobody remembers.

From a ways back but what is it referencing?

A+

StrixNebulosa posted:

Heathcliff Old and New -- is it just me, or is old Heathcliff hitting a similar note of being weird and off-beat? Not as surreal, but it seems like the sense of humor is the same.

I had some very old collection books lying around my grandparents' house when I was a kid, and yes, absolutely. It was always very distinct from, e.g., Garfield.

Just Dan Again posted:

I'd always thought that the idea of ankles being scandalous was some kind of hyperbole. Wild to see that ankle-gazing really was once a pervy thing to do!

I mean, if somebody looked at a lady's ankles in public with a wide-eyed, lustful expression nowadays it'd be pretty weird, but still.

https://twitter.com/CillizzaCNN/status/852568945982930944

He, uh, did not ask permission to take that photo.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
Sam's Strip

Ye Olde Foxtrot 04/16/88 (Got yesterday's upload out of order, here's the actual 4/16/88 strip).

Tarzan:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I won't subject you to seeing the most recent Intelligent Life strip by quoting it, but the real joke is that the presumed protagonist would ever consider himself to be too old for anything.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis

Has Arlo and Janis ever been bad?

Also I'm really enjoying Surgeon's Tales. One of the coolest parts of this thread is seeing the regional comics I'd never know existed otherwise. Thanks to you who take the time to translate and post those! Even the sexist pig man I guess.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe and her Unicorn

Wallace

Curtis

A Problem Like Jamal

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2011 Spiderman

The Amazing Spiderman

tracy.jpg

Tiny Arms Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pastry of the Year posted:

I feel like we missed a few strips, what is this conversation about?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zereth posted:

It's all context clues, she's talking about the guy who knocked her up

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zereth posted:

We had a little bit of a time skip between the reveal she is pregnant in the office and her complaining about the father being an MIA deadbeat on their walk. It seemed like there was a strip or two missing, but I think we're just expected to figure out that the artist skipped us from A to C because B wasn't necessary or interesting (or he couldn't get a gag out of, "hey want to go for a walk and talk about it?")

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Zereth posted:

She's pregnant and the writer is just showing the highlights, not a full drawn out awkward conversation. Good choice I think.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It probably says something that people are so unused to subtly that a comic strip that doesn't go "WOW, SHE'S PREGNANT. LET'S MAKE EVERY CHARACTER REPEATEDLY COMMENT THAT SHE'S PREGNANT SO YOU DON'T MISS IT." confuses people slightly.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I couldn't tell if she was pregnant or that's just the drawing style

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I refuse to accept any character as pregnant unless they're depicted wearing an "I'm with stupid" t-shirt with the arrow pointing down.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

So, so good.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Haifisch posted:

It probably says something that people are so unused to subtly that a comic strip that doesn't go "WOW, SHE'S PREGNANT. LET'S MAKE EVERY CHARACTER REPEATEDLY COMMENT THAT SHE'S PREGNANT SO YOU DON'T MISS IT." confuses people slightly.
Well..

snack eater posted:

I couldn't tell if she was pregnant or that's just the drawing style
It's this, yeah. It's not that they didn't hammer it home, it's that they didn't explicitly mention it and the art isn't clear enough to get it across.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

For you goldfish

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

duz posted:

For you goldfish

Wait, what? This is the strip people were talking about not knowing whether or not someone was pregnant? Even I knew she was pregnant from the first strip and I'm the type of person people have to explain jokes to.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

tracy.jpg

Isn't this supposed to be a "Minute Mystery"? I figured those would be more straightforward "here is crime here are suspects you solve?" than this.

F Minus

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

These cave dog comics have been pretty good.

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Nice of him to offer to help them indulge their fetish.

Apartment 3-G

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just went and read the A+J run leading up to the kids' wedding and it's really sweet and good.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

SCRIBBLE
     SCRIBBLE
         SCRIBBLE

A defining Jack character moment.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
WHAT
IS
HAPPENING
IN
MARK
TRAIL
???

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
NO
ONE
loving
KNOWS
!!!

seriously wtf is even all this

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Well, let me see if I can remember off the top of my head: Mark took Cherry and Rusty to Mexico for a vacation. They are staying at a resort without electricity or running water for some reason. They helped save a whale. Rusty met a girl on the plane who is staying at the same place. They decided to start hanging out together. Mark and Rusty went to meet Mark's archaeologist friend Howard Carter (derp). Rusty and the girl witnessed one of his assistants apparently stealing relics and giving it to someone. It seems they also replaced the relics with fakes to fool Carter. Rusty and the girl got a ride with an undercover cop, posing as a driver of a weird van/50s-car hybrid who likes to take naps named Jose. He took them to Santa Poco for Three Amigos references. He called another undercover cop to follow the kids and "get them out of the way" (we were supposed to think this meant kill them when it wasn't what was meant at all it was a clever ruse!) so they can continue their investigation into the relic stealing thing. This cop is disguised as a biker. He approaches the kids and they run away because he looks like a scary biker. He chases them through the streets on a big noisy motorcycle because that will calm things down. The kids get away by going through a hole in a wall in a dead-end alley. At some point they found the assistant stealing relics and planted Rusty's phone in his pack which they tracked with an app on the girl's phone (I am not sure if this happened at this point or earlier). They follow the guy. The biker cop follows them, and falls into someone's house, where he talks to them, eats a churro, and jumps out the window after giving the people there a bunch of money he just had on him to pay the damage. Biker cop catches up with the kids as they reach the house where the assistant is trading relics with criminals. The crooks discover the kids followed him here when Rusty's phone rings because Cherry called to check on him. Meanwhile, Jose the other undercover cop who likes naps tells Mark what's going on. Mark is concerned. The biker cop calls as they are talking and tells them the kids might be in trouble, so they rush in Jose's vancar back to Santa Poco. They get there just as the kids are being lured into the hideout, and now Mark is running up to the door, where it seems he has recognized someone.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

I was lukewarm on this strip when you started posting it, but lately it's been winning me over. These are great.

Yeah starting from the one where he laughs at his brother trying to override their mom's orders I think it's really showing the good character touch. I do wonder though if Jamal couldn't easily look his age if someone erased his top-of-cheek and forehead wrinkles in Paint. Or closer to "generic kid age" anyway since his size and body do say "elementary school" but the text says "middle school (just before puberty)."

New Nancy in four words: raised palm, technology reference. (This is in no way, shape, or form a statement of support for Gilchrist.)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Zereth posted:

Well..

It's this, yeah. It's not that they didn't hammer it home, it's that they didn't explicitly mention it and the art isn't clear enough to get it across.

These are from the 90s. It's very possible that an unwed pregnant teenager was too much for the funny pages so you get these strips where they say it without ever saying it.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

SuperKlaus posted:

New Nancy in four words: raised palm, technology reference. (This is in no way, shape, or form a statement of support for Gilchrist.)
There wasn't even a technology reference in the strip you quoted, though. Like... okay, the setting was the Robotics Club, but that's not a technology reference the same way a joke about Nancy using apps on her smartphone is.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

sluggo is lit

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Johnny Aztec posted:

NO
ONE
loving
KNOWS
!!!

seriously wtf is even all this

Neither man nor beast, not even the mighty Jam Esallan itself, can tell ye the plot of Mark Trail. Indeed my son, there are some things in this world best left undisturbed.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

He reached out to try and catch him.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

:same:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Clobberella: You can't fall fast enough!

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell This one feels pretty gross to me, blech.

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

From a ways back but what is it referencing?
Brother Juniper. An old single-panel comic that (as I said) most people will never have heard of.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell This one feels pretty gross to me, blech.

Oh god I completely forgot that the mouse was actually a rabbit who had surgery to look like a mouse and she's been selling her own kind as food ew ew ew. :gonk:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'll appreciate the twist if Holbrook has the guts to kill the mouse villain off for good. I feel like he'd try a fake-out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Still Bruce Tinsley

Retail

RandomPauI posted:

I'll appreciate the twist if Holbrook has the guts to kill the mouse villain off for good. I feel like he'd try a fake-out.

As big as Holbrook's casts get, he rarely if ever kills characters off -- he just phases them out. At the most, I think we'll get an inconclusive "death" that leaves the door open for him to bring Angelique back if he feels like it.