Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I haven’t actually watched more than one ep of Discovery. The moral of the first episode being “racism is good, actually” turned me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Evek posted:

Don't forget about the Khan prequel.

...wait, what?

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

There's less movement on it but its one of many possible series in development. It'll either be pre-Botany Bay on earth or post Space Seed on Ceti Alpha V. Nick Meyer is running it for now.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

It's weird how I can be totally fine with the current output of Star Wars, but then I look over at Star Trek and think "man they're just going full cash-in with this, aren't they?"

I think it might be Kurtzman's involvement, or something, but it's interesting to see things from the ~*other side*~ as it were.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 15, 2019

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Mirror Georgiou was awful, so of course they’re going to base an entire show around her. I fully expect her appearances in Discovery season 2 to now function as a backdoor pilot.

Is this what people with Star Wars fatigue feel like? Just increasing frustration and bewilderment with every greenlit project?

The Star Wars people just learned like?? This year! that too many spin-offs causes franchise fatigue. Did the Trek people not notice that or

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pakled posted:

How many Star Trek shows are in development now and how many of them are good ideas to make

n, and (n - n), respectively.

jeeves posted:

Fan's don't have to like something just because it has the brand name on it.

This is where I've been at since before Discovery. The name "Star Trek" isn't sufficient anymore to get me in the door.

Payndz posted:

Abrams managed to kill both Stars Trek and Wars for me - though the entire corporate ethos of "pump out as much branded product as fast as you can" behind them also contributed. I haven't seen Beyond or Discovery, or Last Jedi or Solo, and really don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. (The me of 10-15 years ago would be utterly shocked to hear that, but things change.)

Beyond, out of all of those, is generally pretty positive in the fan reaction department. It's not going to kill you to continue not to see it, but I'd say if you give one of them a chance, do that one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, Beyond is a perfectly decent Trek movie. Not the greatest but it's the only one of the new trilogy I'd watch again.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Evek posted:

There's less movement on it but its one of many possible series in development. It'll either be pre-Botany Bay on earth or post Space Seed on Ceti Alpha V. Nick Meyer is running it for now.

IIRC Meyer hasn’t done anything at CBS since shortly after Fuller was fired, so the Khan prequel show is likely dead. It’s the only “announced” project that we haven’t heard anything about since Discovery finished its first season.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Meyer gave this statement in November.

quote:

“I was commissioned to write a 3-hour or 3-night event, and that’s what I did. It’s called Ceti Alpha V and I don’t know the current status. It’s been up in the air. Partially, there was a lot of confusion between CBS, and there were big upheavals at CBS and while they sort of didn’t know who was in charge, they also didn’t know what they were going to do with Ceti Alpha V. I’m not exactly sure what’s happened, I haven’t heard from them in some time.”

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure I've made the comparison before but Star Trek seems to be about where The Simpsons is at for a lot of people in terms of fucks given about new material and overall quality

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
For all its faults, the scene in Discovery where the mirror universe Klingon rebellion was obliterated from orbit is the only time since Voyager that Star Trek weapons have sounded like they had any weight behind them.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tighclops posted:

I'm sure I've made the comparison before but Star Trek seems to be about where The Simpsons is at for a lot of people in terms of fucks given about new material and overall quality

I don't really give a poo poo about anything that's happened in Star Trek since 1996, so, about right

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I don't really give a poo poo about anything that's happened in Star Trek since 1996, so, about right

You have a problem with going back in time to hang out with Sarah Silverman?

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

No, my idea is characters from all Treks as babies at the same daycare. Kirk, Picard, Shran, Ezri, Reed, whoever.

And they're Muppets.

would watch

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Luigi Thirty posted:

You have a problem with going back in time to hang out with Sarah Silverman?

I really like Sarah Silverman and she would have been a cool addition to the Voyager cast. You know, in the alternate universe where Voyager writers/producers made good or compelling decisions. They could have brought the character back to the future Gillian Taylor style.

And don't say that sort of thing doesn't work, Chiana was only supposed to be on Farscape for three episodes before the produces decided they liked the character/actress.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Sodomy Hussein posted:

My dude, you missed out on a lot of good DS9.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Been watching through TNG the last few months and I'm really sad that Worf/Troi never got the chance to take off.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Laterite posted:

My dude, you missed out on a lot of good DS9.

Clearly you are unaware of my posting career as it regards this topic

In short:

DS9 is poo poo from a butt

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

In short:

:catstare:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Sodomy Hussein posted:

In short:

you talk and you talk but you have no guramba

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

In short:

The Donald Trump of opinions right here.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Posting without honor.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

God I can't believe Voyager had fluidic space and didn't call it hydrospace.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Clearly you are unaware of my posting career

In short:

I am poo poo from a butt
:agreed:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Sodomy Hussein posted:

In short:

post is a good example of when you have an opinion that is so unpopular that it riles people up as badly as trolling, but it's even more fun because you mean it

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Beyond, out of all of those, is generally pretty positive in the fan reaction department. It's not going to kill you to continue not to see it, but I'd say if you give one of them a chance, do that one.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, Beyond is a perfectly decent Trek movie. Not the greatest but it's the only one of the new trilogy I'd watch again.

Beyond was also the one JJ Abrams was the least involved in, so, yknow

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

VOY: "Future's End"

I can't buy the crew having "The question isn't where we are ... it's when we are!" awe about time travel when they've done it in every single series. Maybe it's something they leave out of the history books and Starfleet Academy doesn't have guidance on time-travel protocol. It takes almost nine minutes to get to "What will we need to pass as locals from this era?" Kinda boring that the spaceship crashed on the rich part of a Southern California beach because they've done that setting several times before and Starfleet is in California. welp, I'm out. if I wanted to criticize-watch something I'd be watching political news

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 16, 2019

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

hell we know Starfleet Academy has a time travel class, Temporal Mechanics, that cadets all hate and fear

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

poo poo from a butt

My least favourite song by Seal.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bull3964 posted:

Meyer gave this statement in November.
Yeah I don’t think that is going anywhere. It’s not unusual for someone to come in and write a script treatment and then that is the end of it. I think it happened in the last decade with some proposed post-VOY animated series which would have gone forward in time to show a decaying Federation. Which I’m not sure how that would have been in canon since we know that there is a Federation around the year 3000.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FuturePastNow posted:

hell we know Starfleet Academy has a time travel class, Temporal Mechanics, that cadets all hate and fear

I'm pretty sure it's because it's a big class of 'We actually don't know poo poo, but we pretend we have working theories'. It seems implied there's different rules of time travel in Star Trek depending on the method used, especially if the Prophets or the Guardian of Forever is involved.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
In DS9 there was that whole investigative bureau for time travel poo poo so presumably they've got some kinda rules written somewhere

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

In DS9 there was that whole investigative bureau for time travel poo poo so presumably they've got some kinda rules written somewhere

And Starfleet of the 29th century are time cops who travel through time as easily as they do space, thanks to Voyager.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cythereal posted:

And Starfleet of the 29th century are time cops who travel through time as easily as they do space, thanks to Voyager.

I wonder if the Temporal powers are the same as in normal space. Are the Klingons and Romulans jockeying for best timeline? Or are they allied against some power that doesn't exist yet/anymore but controls massive swathes of Temporal "territory"?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
...and that's how WW2 ended up being fought entirely by people trying to kill Hitler, and people trying to stop people trying to kill Hitler.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

spincube posted:

...and that's how WW2 ended up being fought entirely by people trying to kill Hitler, and people trying to stop people trying to kill Hitler.

What i like about this is that it works whether time travel is involved or not

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Voyager, but each week Harry Kim comes back from a future time to give them information or a warning.
Only he never goes back to his "time" and now the one that was here doesn't need to go to the past, so the ship is slowly filling up with different Harry Kims.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Nullsmack posted:

Voyager, but each week Harry Kim comes back from a future time to give them information or a warning.
Only he never goes back to his "time" and now the one that was here doesn't need to go to the past, so the ship is slowly filling up with different Harry Kims.

Star Trek: Kath & Kims

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nullsmack posted:

What, did they forget how to use the airlock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

If time was as easy to manipulate as Voyager made it out to be, the entire universe would be devastated and lifeless.

My point is Voyager sucks. But to be fair First Contact got the ball rolling by being like "oh yeah, the borg can time travel, but they decide not to at first in order to give the federation a heads up."