Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Cat Mattress posted:

Honestly a boat makes for a terrible setting for an entire game.

This is entirely limited by your imagination and creativity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
If you do lobsterman cruise ship terror missions the wrong way, (that is, don't immediately abandon the ship to it's fate once you land) Terror from the Deep mostly takes place on a ship! :P

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Big boats are ships, and space ships are ships, so space ships are big boats.

Dead Space 1 then.

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

Deus Ex had the naval Base and Sealab, not quite the same. Blowing up the sub bulkheads with LAMS was cool at least.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

Dead Space 1 then.

Sadly has the climax on the planet.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Arivia posted:

Sadly has the climax on the planet.

if EPCOT has taught me anything, it's that a planet is nothing if not one vast spaceship, hurtling through the cosmos with its native life as its passengers on a voyage of time and space

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Dead Space 2 takes place entirely on a space station and a large asteroid, does that count?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Spaceships are not boats, and I will stand by this until I see a spaceship crash into a glacier and sink below the icy waves, resulting in a huge death toll, a massive environmental disaster, and an insanely expensive movie that wins all of the awards. :colbert:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The Borealis disappeared in some insane Aperture portal experiment right? At that point you could just have insane Tardis like features where the inside of the boat is bigger than the outside and random rooms of the boat can lead to entire pocket dimensions or send you to random points in time and space. Step through a cabin door and suddenly you’re back in Black Mesa at the height of the portal storms or whatever

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Marathon 1 is just one big ship and also briefly one smaller alien ship. Some parts take place in vacuum, which is like drowning but with space :pseudo:

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

I'm replaying Doom 2 and was thinking that playing some harder WADs had made me good enough that the original levels were feeling easy.

Then I got to Catacombs with low health and those chaingunners whooped my rear end repeatedly. Oh the hubris.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DoombatINC posted:

Marathon 1 is just one big ship and also briefly one smaller alien ship. Some parts take place in vacuum, which is like drowning but with space :pseudo:

Vacuum has to be a liquid, how else could you prepare to drink it, fool.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The Borealis disappeared in some insane Aperture portal experiment right? At that point you could just have insane Tardis like features where the inside of the boat is bigger than the outside and random rooms of the boat can lead to entire pocket dimensions or send you to random points in time and space. Step through a cabin door and suddenly you’re back in Black Mesa at the height of the portal storms or whatever

Step through a cabin door into an infinite series of sewer levels.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

comingafteryouall posted:

I'm replaying Doom 2 and was thinking that playing some harder WADs had made me good enough that the original levels were feeling easy.

Then I got to Catacombs with low health and those chaingunners whooped my rear end repeatedly. Oh the hubris.

Chainfuckers are my least favorite enemy by a country mile. Not only are they hitscan, but they’re usually positioned in places that, by the time I find them and shoot them I’ve lost half my health. Final Doom is notorious for them. That said, they can be a fun obstacle when used creatively. If I was in a room with cybers and chainners, I’d always prioritize the chainggang first.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Also, dunno if we do DUSK chat here, but I just finished The Escher Labs and that might be my favorite FPS level ever.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Chainfuckers are my least favorite enemy by a country mile. Not only are they hitscan, but they’re usually positioned in places that, by the time I find them and shoot them I’ve lost half my health. Final Doom is notorious for them. That said, they can be a fun obstacle when used creatively. If I was in a room with cybers and chainners, I’d always prioritize the chainggang first.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Took me a little bit, but... :golfclap:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I lost half my health looking for 'im

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Exactly. This is finaldoom.gif

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

The Kins posted:

Spaceships are not boats, and I will stand by this until I see a spaceship crash into a glacier and sink below the icy waves, resulting in a huge death toll, a massive environmental disaster, and an insanely expensive movie that wins all of the awards. :colbert:

The Aurora crashed into an island in Subnautica and its main reactors nearly wiped out half the macroscopic life on the planet, does that count? ... And if not, there is that Arctic expansion coming.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

I think part of what got my poo poo wrecked by the chaingunners was watching the Doom 2 speedrun posted earlier in the thread and trying to play like that dude. Turns out, I am not good at navigating around enemies like he is.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

The Kins posted:

All these attempts at bringing the Borealis to life have got me thinking: Has there ever been a good action game that takes place either entirely or almost entirely upon a boat?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Big boats are ships, and space ships are ships, so space ships are big boats.

And the winner is ... System Shock 2! [crowd goes wild, standing ovation, balloon drop]

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Dr. VooDoo posted:

That was (one of) the plan(s) basically, going by the released script. It was going to be shifting through time and space randomly, so you'd get rooms that are in the past, rooms that are in the future, rooms that shift back and forth, sometimes there's Aperture labs outside the windows and the next moment you're at the heat death of the universe.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The Kins posted:

All these attempts at bringing the Borealis to life have got me thinking: Has there ever been a good action game that takes place either entirely or almost entirely upon a boat? I can only think of mediocre-at-best survival horror games.

Metal Gear Solid 2 doesn't count because the boat bit is a short intro sequence, BTW.

I'm like "I can think of at least two oh he said mediocre horror games." Still ,though. Talked about it a few pages back, but Cryostasis is a game with a lot of cool ideas that gets bogged down by clunky combat and bad performance (even on modern rigs). Then there's Cold Fear so yeah.

The only legit good one I remember that's not a short one like the opening of CoD 4 is the pirate cruise ship in Uncharted 3 and the lead-up to it. Otherwise, boats kind of suck since they're a tunnel by design and cargo containers are just one of the most boring things to see in a video game at this point. Like, the second I start seeing cargo containers that I have to navigate around, you have to start fighting to keep my attention in your game.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 17, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
wolfenstein had submarine and ship levels do those count

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Goldeneye also had a boat map but I agree the CoD 4 one is probably my favorite.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

The reckoning Quake 2 mission pack has these grunts with laser guns that are even worse chaingunners, a couple of seconds after seeing you they shoot a 100% accurate red laser that just chips off your health so you're stuck in a constant pain screen/noise while your health runs down even if they're standing far away on top of a building.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Goldeneye also had a boat map but I agree the CoD 4 one is probably my favorite.

The goldeneye one was real good though.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I use ZDL for all of my Doom pwads, in order to make ready-to-go configs for each one. Like it'll say to load doom2.wad with brightmaps.pk3, lights.pk3, and then action doom or something. Then I save that as a ZDL config file and use it like an icon.

I had to migrate over to a new computer and now all of the file structures are messed up and not likely to work out quite right.

Does anyone else use a similar solution for managing all of their mods, and if so, do you have any suggestions?

Or, any suggestions for a different launcher entirely?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mousepractice posted:

And the winner is ... System Shock 2! [crowd goes wild, standing ovation, balloon drop]

I was gonna suggest System Shock 2's Von Braun and Rickenbacker but I felt like I'd be boo'ed for it not being actiony enough, since the proper way to play that game is hiding in dark corners and listening to distorted nursery rhymes.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Chinook posted:

I use ZDL for all of my Doom pwads, in order to make ready-to-go configs for each one. Like it'll say to load doom2.wad with brightmaps.pk3, lights.pk3, and then action doom or something. Then I save that as a ZDL config file and use it like an icon.

I had to migrate over to a new computer and now all of the file structures are messed up and not likely to work out quite right.

Does anyone else use a similar solution for managing all of their mods, and if so, do you have any suggestions?

Or, any suggestions for a different launcher entirely?
You should just be able to load the .zdl files in a text editor and do a find/replace to adjust them for your new folder layout.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The Kins posted:

You should just be able to load the .zdl files in a text editor and do a find/replace to adjust them for your new folder layout.

Yeah, that's true, and I'll probably take your advice, but ZDL is still pretty clunky and I was curious if anyone had any really cool new frontends that maybe have come up since ZDL/QLgzdoom. Like more graphical maybe, with screenshots and a list down the side, and so on. It'd be really cool to have something like that, but I might be alone on this one..

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You can take a browse through the zdoom forums. I haven't actually tried any of em cuz zdl works for me but there are other frontends you can try

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I really don't like how ZDL never remembers what the last folder I had open was. Every time I click "open file", it's right back to the folder ZDL's installed in. Makes opening multiple files annoying... but I haven't found much better than it for opening multiple files in separate folders.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I was gonna suggest System Shock 2's Von Braun and Rickenbacker but I felt like I'd be boo'ed for it not being actiony enough, since the proper way to play that game is hiding in dark corners and listening to distorted nursery rhymes.

System Shock 2 is more horror than action yeah so if you picked that you could also pick ColdFear, an action game on a boat like the Goldeneye level for a whole game I don't think exists.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Shadow Hog posted:

I really don't like how ZDL never remembers what the last folder I had open was. Every time I click "open file", it's right back to the folder ZDL's installed in. Makes opening multiple files annoying... but I haven't found much better than it for opening multiple files in separate folders.

I found this one on the ZDoom forums, entitled Doomie, which seems perfect for me, except that it doesn't have screenshots (which is admittedly a silly thing but I would like it).

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=61647

Here's a screenshot (creator's, not mine) of how it arranges things:
https://imgur.com/a/A9Cf9LT

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Flannelette posted:

The reckoning Quake 2 mission pack has these grunts with laser guns that are even worse chaingunners, a couple of seconds after seeing you they shoot a 100% accurate red laser that just chips off your health so you're stuck in a constant pain screen/noise while your health runs down even if they're standing far away on top of a building.

On a whole that expansion loves to place enemies in a way that you won't seem them when entering a room and so they'll get to shoot first. It also did monster closets before Doom 3, because the amount of times it opens up a little hidey hole in an area behind you is astonishing.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Yep every room immediately go to the side and look behind the crates there will be a gunner or something waiting there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jordan7hm posted:

The goldeneye one was real good though.

And it was the only level where you could get either the Phantom or the Spyder gun (can't remember). The drat thing wasn't even available in multiplayer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Mierenneuker posted:

It also did monster closets before Doom 3, because the amount of times it opens up a little hidey hole in an area behind you is astonishing.
Monster closets are a staple of Doom 1 and 2