Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

One of Orochis heads has a little pirate hat

And another one of them either can't remember which direction the camera is in or is just off in la-la land most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mierenneuker posted:

It can’t be that bad.

It Was That Bad

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

And another one of them either can't remember which direction the camera is in or is just off in la-la land most of the time.

I don't remember if it was pirate head but whichever head just wanted to swim was great

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think pirate-head was the poison one? I just finished Okami a couple days ago, and boy it's got a lot of little things.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Persona 5:

The first time Futaba used her Moral Support skill, there was a hot microsecond I thought my game was actually glitching out. It's actually really neat if you read it as her hacking the game you're actually playing.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Taerkar posted:

No one actually played Daikatana.

Back when it was released I played through all of it until I got to the future level at the end and the level design was so incredibly confusing, your partner AI a completely liability, the weapons more likely to kill you than the enemies, and the difficulty such irritating poo poo that I just stopped.

Like two years ago I applied a fan patch and decided to go through it.

I finished it. It was still poo poo.

There's a community of people that swear by it though, and things like weapons with massive splash AoE that can't be used in 90% of the game's cloistered environments without murdering you is not a sign of idiotic design but your lack of skill in what is a hardcore FPS gamer's shooter.

Also literally level 1 is a level with poison enemies, tiny flying enemies, tiny enemies on the ground that poke your feet, a gun that hurts you when you shoot it under water in a level with a ton of water, and so on. It starts off with the most annoying possible level design.

Here are some little things I guess are actually good about it.

- The massive variety of settings was pretty neat at the time, so was the huge arsenal, even if most of it caused you to kill yourself or otherwise was bizarrely useless.

- The idea of an FPS with light RPG mechanics was novel, too bad it was completely uninteresting in execution.

- AI partners in a campaign FPS? Pretty drat cool. Also they would get gibbed by doors, fall off ladders and die, get stuck in pits or level geometry, break elevators by somehow causing them to not trigger anymore when they used them, use the dumbest loving weapons, kill themselves or you or get killed by you, and just generally got in the way.

- Multiplayer is a hilarious clusterfuck of insanely overpowered weapons.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Jan 17, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Finished escape from butcher bay and i have to say being able to play at more than 10 fps makes all the difference.(new computer wooo)
Moved straight on to dark athena and the quality just gets way smoother,riddick has cooler pants,the character models and facial movements are way better,the environments are already more varied and the combat's smoother.
I'm pretty sure Butcher Bay was budget software, which is why it's such a surprise it was any good.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm pretty sure Butcher Bay was budget software, which is why it's such a surprise it was any good.

I think it was a $60 release when it originally came out on xbox

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

Haven't seen this, what's the spiritual sequel?

Monster Boy

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Playing What Remains of Edith Finch since it is free on the Epic store and I like how the subtitles are integrated into the actual world.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

JebanyPedal posted:

Back when it was released I played through all of it until I got to the future level at the end and the level design was so incredibly confusing, your partner AI a completely liability, the weapons more likely to kill you than the enemies, and the difficulty such irritating poo poo that I just stopped.

Like two years ago I applied a fan patch and decided to go through it.

I finished it. It was still poo poo.

There's a community of people that swear by it though, and things like weapons with massive splash AoE that can't be used in 90% of the game's cloistered environments without murdering you is not a sign of idiotic design but your lack of skill in what is a hardcore FPS gamer's shooter.

Also literally level 1 is a level with poison enemies, tiny flying enemies, tiny enemies on the ground that poke your feet, a gun that hurts you when you shoot it under water in a level with a ton of water, and so on. It starts off with the most annoying possible level design.

Here are some little things I guess are actually good about it.

- The massive variety of settings was pretty neat at the time, so was the huge arsenal, even if most of it caused you to kill yourself or otherwise was bizarrely useless.

- The idea of an FPS with light RPG mechanics was novel, too bad it was completely uninteresting in execution.

- AI partners in a campaign FPS? Pretty drat cool. Also they would get gibbed by doors, fall off ladders and die, get stuck in pits or level geometry, break elevators by somehow causing them to not trigger anymore when they used them, use the dumbest loving weapons, kill themselves or you or get killed by you, and just generally got in the way.

- Multiplayer is a hilarious clusterfuck of insanely overpowered weapons.

I've said it before but having Flying Wild Hog do a Daikatana remake on the same level as Shadow Warrior would be the tits.

Also I always loved the fact that both the main character and the villain were using the same titular time-dislocated sword, so having them clash would create a temporal paradox and destroy the universe. That's so stupid yet :black101: as gently caress.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 04:35 on Jan 18, 2019

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

FactsAreUseless posted:

On the surface a first person riddick game with ties to the movies would be a poo poo low effort cashgrab and it’s by no means perfect but it’s got an all star voice cast,3d scanned mocapped and fully voiced vin diesel and graphics that are still top tier ten years on.and it runs at 60fps and above which on my cheap computer is a loving miracle.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

John Murdoch posted:

I've said it before but having Flying Wild Hog do a Daikatana remake on the same level as Shadow Warrior would be the tits.

Also I always loved the fact that both the main character and the villain were using the same titular time-dislocated sword, so having them clash would create a temporal paradox and destroy the universe. That's so stupid yet :black101: as gently caress.

Daikatana is basically John Romero developing the shooter that every twelve year old boy imagines in their head as the greatest game ever.
It's just insanely excessive and stupid in every possible way.

Also the casual racism is mindboggling. The black AI partner's name is "Superfly Johnson" and you break him out of, you guessed it, prison.
When you die in the game and leave the death screen up the AI partners will say poo poo in response.

I can't remember it verbatim, but one of those voice clips is Superfly saying:

"OH GOD NO HIRO IS DEAD! I'll take his shoes though."

Stupidest poo poo ever, dude so stereotypical he steals the shoes off his dead friend's body.

He does refer to turning people into "rear end-dust" though which is one of the dumbest yet funniest threats I've heard in a game.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Daikatana had a GBC port.
It's better than the PC version.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Croccers posted:

Daikatana had a GBC port.
It's better than the PC version.

It's not a 'port' so much as a completely separate game that happens to have the same name and story. Which is definitely a thing that doesn't happen anymore, the last instance I can think of is Sonic Generations on the 3DS.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

It's not a 'port' so much as a completely separate game that happens to have the same name and story. Which is definitely a thing that doesn't happen anymore, the last instance I can think of is Sonic Generations on the 3DS.

That's mainly because handhelds have caught up with home consoles, so the Vita (and Switch technically) could get the regular versions of some big-name games.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Wow, I just played through What Remains of Edith Finch since it was free on the Epic store. Holy poo poo that's a neat story and I love the way each character has a unique way of telling their tale.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

On the surface a first person riddick game with ties to the movies would be a poo poo low effort cashgrab and it’s by no means perfect but it’s got an all star voice cast,3d scanned mocapped and fully voiced vin diesel and graphics that are still top tier ten years on.and it runs at 60fps and above which on my cheap computer is a loving miracle.
Oh I legit loved Butcher Bay as a kid, but never played the sequel. Still haven't seen better first-person melee combat.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The sequel's OK, it's not as focused as the first game and I remember not really being as sure why I was fighting these guys.

The first one, though, is an absolute gem and pretty much the definition of "way better than it has any right to be".

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh I legit loved Butcher Bay as a kid, but never played the sequel. Still haven't seen better first-person melee combat.

The sequel/expansion is bad. It's more polished all around and has some really good bits but 90% of it is a linear shooting gallery

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

The sequel is more varied in terms of environment and i’m enjoying the setpieces more.
Also i found it funny that the first game ends with riddick in a timesplitters 2 cortez sci-fi suit grimly monologuing to himself as he flies away from the bad guys while ts2 cortez was a direct imitation of riddick in the first place and ended his game doing the exact same thing(albeit years earlier)

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Also the facial animations for the npc’s in their holding cells is mindblowingly good,they really emote and puff their cheeks,it’s very impressive and makes the nutcase jaylor seem genuinely unhinged.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

Something I've wanted for ages, although I know it'd be pointless, is this sort of thing for the original Final Fantasy, including mechanics. The currently-available version on smartphones is fantastic, but the layers of changes they've made over the half-dozen remakes and ports and ports of remakes means that it almost isn't even the same game anymore. I'd love to be able to start the game with a checklist of something like 'NES graphics and game balance, current remake bugfixes, PSX music, no bonus dungeons, GBA script' and just go.

I don't know why they took the difficulty selection out of the FF1 remakes after the PS1 version. The normal difficulty has all the UI and ease-of-life tweaks but keeps the old spell system and a bunch of stuff that keeps the game semi-balanced. Then every subsequent version just makes everything easy mode, including the GBA port that's just the PS1 with a bunch of bonus dungeons. Also the GBA version of FF2 makes the leveling system less punishing, but way more of a pain in the rear end to grind if you get stuck (you will get stuck).

Since this is the good games thread I'll say that Final Fantasy Origins on PS1 is really cool because it updates the games but leaves the fun janky NES mechanics intact.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I just noticed that in Danganronpa be (post case 3 soilers)Angie has wings and a halo on her portrait instead of the standard red X

Tenkos X is curved where her bow thing is curved

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Len posted:

I just noticed that in Danganronpa be (post case 3 soilers)Angie has wings and a halo on her portrait instead of the standard red X

Tenkos X is curved where her bow thing is curved

I think at least one of the portraits from every case is like that, but some are really subtle. In 2, (Case 1) the chef got a fork and knife, and (Case 2, I think?) that yakuza woman got a sword/hilt.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Double Punctuation posted:

I think at least one of the portraits from every case is like that, but some are really subtle. In 2, (Case 1) the chef got a fork and knife, and (Case 2, I think?) that yakuza woman got a sword/hilt.

I was looking at the other ones I've seen so far in v3 and I think they're all little things. I can't quite figure out what:

Case 1 the killer or victim are but. I assume something music related for Kaede. I haven't found out anything about stripe shirt but he looks like an x

Case 2 his is a giant block x while the maids is thing and slim

Case 3 I don't know what gimpsuit is but it kind of looks like fire surrounding the picture

Case 4 haven't seen the killer yet but Miu is xxx for her potty mouth

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm liking DOOM a lot because it's actually's a relaxing collectathon that pretends it's a shooter

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 22:16 on Jan 19, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm liking DOOM a lot because it's actually's a relaxing collectathon that pretends it's a shooter

what the gently caress

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

My only complaint is that the game doesn't really tell you how many demon guts you have collected. I guess it's a throwback to the early days of gaming, where you sometimes had to take notes with an actual pen and notebook.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

grate deceiver posted:

My only complaint is that the game doesn't really tell you how many demon guts you have collected. I guess it's a throwback to the early days of gaming, where you sometimes had to take notes with an actual pen and notebook.

That’s easy.

It’s all of them. You’ve collected all the demon guts.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

grate deceiver posted:

Sometimes hell, my old house must have hundreds of pages of my scribbling about commodore 64 games. Hell I remember using a pay phone (!!) To call a hint line (!!!) For advice on how to beat a part of Neuromancer i was stuck on

Craziest thing is that it was answered... they used to man hint lines, kids...

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Slippery posted:

Sometimes hell, my old house must have hundreds of pages of my scribbling about commodore 64 games. Hell I remember using a pay phone (!!) To call a hint line (!!!) For advice on how to beat a part of Neuromancer i was stuck on

Were you having a stroke when you wrote this post?

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Shrapnig posted:

Were you having a stroke when you wrote this post?

No more so than usual :)

I guess the memories just overwhelmed me :old:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Slippery posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ktqiwck1tc

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

loving ace I pictured the same thing

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Slippery posted:

No more so than usual :)

I guess the memories just overwhelmed me :old:

:corsair: is what you're after

I think I called a NES hint line to try and figure out how to get past King Hippo or something as a kid.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
1-800-255-3700

It's the phone number I use whenever I'm testing if my phone has been activated, and I remember being in church as a kid and wandering the halls, finding a phonebooth, and calling this number over and over, navigating the phone tree. Around 1998 or so, pokemon era.

"Welcome, and thank you for calling, Nintendo!"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just finished Witcher 3: Blood and Wine, and there's a little thing in the ending that I just absolutely loved.

So Geralt's sitting with a friend after the events of the DLC, which can either be good or bad (but in my case were good). By now, you've been playing the game for probably quite some time, have seen Geralt go through some poo poo and stop some plots, but right now they're just relaxing, talking about the future, and sipping booze. His friend says something to the effect of "After all that's happened, after all we've done, I think we deserve a bit of rest." and Geralt pauses for a moment, and replies with "That we do."

The he just sort of raises his eyes to look at the game's camera, a faint, wry smile on his face, because he's definitely looking at you, the player (the friend is off to the side).

Normally, I don't like that sorta joke, it's corny. But this wasn't a joke, it was sort of...a shared moment with the player, so to speak. Like, yeah, you've done so much as Geralt, you've beaten so many enemies and forces of evil. I don't know why, but that little glance made me smile like an idiot, it felt like the perfect capstone to the entire game that I had played for 100+ hours (I did pretty much everything), frustrations and victories all.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Morpheus posted:

I just finished Witcher 3: Blood and Wine, and there's a little thing in the ending that I just absolutely loved.

So Geralt's sitting with a friend after the events of the DLC, which can either be good or bad (but in my case were good). By now, you've been playing the game for probably quite some time, have seen Geralt go through some poo poo and stop some plots, but right now they're just relaxing, talking about the future, and sipping booze. His friend says something to the effect of "After all that's happened, after all we've done, I think we deserve a bit of rest." and Geralt pauses for a moment, and replies with "That we do."

The he just sort of raises his eyes to look at the game's camera, a faint, wry smile on his face, because he's definitely looking at you, the player (the friend is off to the side).

Normally, I don't like that sorta joke, it's corny. But this wasn't a joke, it was sort of...a shared moment with the player, so to speak. Like, yeah, you've done so much as Geralt, you've beaten so many enemies and forces of evil. I don't know why, but that little glance made me smile like an idiot, it felt like the perfect capstone to the entire game that I had played for 100+ hours (I did pretty much everything), frustrations and victories all.

The ending to B&W is the most a game has ever felt like coming to the end of a great book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Firewatch at one point you come across a place called Pork Pond and your character notes there's no signpost for it like the rest of the park. Your supervisor says due to the name signs kept getting stolen so they don't bother putting them up anymore.

End game spoiler: In Delilah's office at the end of the game I spotted a sign for Pork Pond over her desk