Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

someone asked me to record the extreme tedium of leveling up in yiik because i told them i absolutely didn't want to do it

so have my cry for help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kOE9V5MoYw

at least i like the track

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

thats some unpleasant whistling

i'm gonna have to listen to life is beautiful again

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ruggington posted:

someone asked me to record the extreme tedium of leveling up in yiik because i told them i absolutely didn't want to do it

so have my cry for help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kOE9V5MoYw

at least i like the track

why do you have to do it once for each individual level up for the party

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Colonel posted:

why do you have to do it once for each individual level up for the party

because the developers had to make their game longer somehow

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Anyone played Pyre? I've been into this studio's soundtracks for years and figured I should actually play one of their games so I have the context.

I beat it, I liked it. It's 100% not an RPG though. It's a story driven game that's kinda like rugby, or soccer/american football. I came for the story, played a bunch of rather tense rugby matches with a lot on the line, and got interesting story. Winning the important matches is optional, it just changes the story and the endings for your characters. The nice music improves the story and made me nervous for some of the matches. I did clutch through and win them all...but it's not necessary.

enigma74 fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 21, 2019

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Where are all the indie games of wildly varying quality based on Live A Live?

I always wondered this too. Just have a bunch of indie devs do a bunch of short scenarios that have the same mechanics and somehow tie them together.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I don't understand the leveling up system at all.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tired Moritz posted:

I don't understand the leveling up system at all.
Remember how in Paper Mario you chose between several options when you got a level up?

What if that took place on a separate map, which you can only access from save points?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Also, seriously, is Natural Doctrine just really lovely or is it gonna go full anime hosed up on me cause I ain't stand for that

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Chaotic Flame posted:

Anyone played Pyre? I've been into this studio's soundtracks for years and figured I should actually play one of their games so I have the context.

Pyre is the best sports game currently on PC

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

tragedy: atelier ayesha cannot be emulated at this time

e:

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 21, 2019

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

corn in the bible posted:

gently caress yiik i'm gonna play a good game

or at least, a different game

Also, seriously, is Natural Doctrine just really lovely or is it gonna go full anime hosed up on me cause I ain't stand for that

Well, uhh enjoy?

Natural Doctrine is a flawed game that could have been good, but it's got a drab color palette and brutal difficulty spikes.

The battles get extremely long with little room for error and game overs on the death of anyone is a little tedious with no mid map save points. There are check points but dont depend on them.

When you "get" natural doctrine you can steam roll levels like no one's business, but if you make a single mental error or dont stay in Gary Kasparov mode at all times, be ready to either grind or restart.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

From what I've read it's mostly just bullshit difficult. Like every level basically has a single solution and deviating from that even a little equals losing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You'll have to ask one of the two people that got past the second stage

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Last Remnant is a fucker sometimes, was it really necessary to cap a long but fairly easy battle with a boss that can reduce your morale to zero and buff himself so he can do six attacks for every one of yours?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

DrManiac posted:

I always wondered this too. Just have a bunch of indie devs do a bunch of short scenarios that have the same mechanics and somehow tie them together.
Most of these devs seem to come from a place of nostalgia or have the same "JRPGs were only good in the 90s!" perspective and Live A Live didn't get an English fanpatch till the mid 2000s.
I feel if a new game in this style came out it'd be more likened to Octopath than LAL.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

live-a-live has a real nice strategy-lite battle system that makes characters extremely expressive and distinct

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm on the final stretch of the Witcher 3: Blood and Wine, and I've completed everything there is to complete. Every sidequest (that I could find, I'm sure there are a couple ones that you need to stumble across), every question mark in Toussaint, everything, even did it all on Death March. Now I just have what appears to be an extended epilogue to play through, and dang, it's going to be weird to be done this game. I've probably put over a hundred hours into this, give or take, and the idea that the entire Witcher saga is complete is going to be a weird feeling when I put the game down for good.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I never beat the Touissant Gwent Tournament or the Extreme Cosplay after getting 100% in everything else because gently caress that.

What Witcher 3 has over nu-Assassin's Creed is that it's a hell of a lot more restrained with splattering icons on the map, Skellige caches aside.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 21, 2019

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hogama posted:

No, wait, guys, it gets better! There's another ending!

The second ending reveals the "true" Alex, which is literally just the Developer himself who fuses all the Alex's into himself and leaves into the true universe, he then writes up a whole speech ripping off Wallace's statements about Postmodernism dying out to become New Sincerity, basically telling you the whole game's about REJECTING postmodernism, and you escape into the soul space in an elevator with Sammy before reality can be destroyed rather than chasing after the android. Helpfully, Alex tells you that you're not Alex because he's Alex.

Hey so trying to understand this. Would this be like the Genocide ending in Undertale, except that's the true ending and Toby Fox personally congratulates you for reaching it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Hey so trying to understand this. Would this be like the Genocide ending in Undertale, except that's the true ending and Toby Fox personally congratulates you for reaching it?

It would be like if you watched a movie called "The Power of Friendship" and at the end, after hours of friendship and teamwork not accomplishing anything the lead character turns to the camera and just started reading you the John Galt speach.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I never beat the Touissant Gwent Tournament or the Extreme Cosplay after getting 100% in everything else because gently caress that.

I didn't find Extreme Cosplay too hard, except for those mages using magic that's literally nowhere else in the game. I was confused as hell. Other than that, I was just Aarding and dodging all over the place.

The Gwent Tournament though, gently caress. I was sweating bullets throughout, and only a lucky draw got me through the end (was able to draw a pair of shield maidens and the hero that musters shield maidens - played the maidens on one round for the bonuses, discarded them, shuffled the discard back, played Cerys to muster all of them at once and played a horn, even the opponent's four extra cards couldn't beat beat 72 extra points). Didn't lose once, but did find out that there's a split second moment to save right before the fight begins halfway through, so that would've helped at least.

gently caress Gwent though.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

HGH posted:

Most of these devs seem to come from a place of nostalgia or have the same "JRPGs were only good in the 90s!" perspective and Live A Live didn't get an English fanpatch till the mid 2000s.
I feel if a new game in this style came out it'd be more likened to Octopath than LAL.

I wish Live A Live had gotten a sequel. It's such a cool idea, I'd love to see it done a again.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

enigma74 posted:

I beat it, I liked it. It's 100% not an RPG though. It's a story driven game that's kinda like rugby, or soccer/american football. I came for the story, played a bunch of rather tense rugby matches with a lot on the line, and got interesting story. Winning the important matches is optional, it just changes the story and the endings for your characters. The nice music improves the story and made me nervous for some of the matches. I did clutch through and win them all...but it's not necessary.

Good to know! All media is calling it an rpg for some reason. I'll still probably give it a look.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Barudak posted:

It would be like if you watched a movie called "The Power of Friendship" and at the end, after hours of friendship and teamwork not accomplishing anything the lead character turns to the camera and just started reading you the John Galt speach.

Also it turns out that you were John Galt all along.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I wish Live A Live had gotten a sequel. It's such a cool idea, I'd love to see it done a again.

What, a playable Cloud Atlas without the yellowface?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I know we're moving on now but this face feels made for dumb captions.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, it managed to get so many things, despite some less intuitive parts (like most of the near future chapter). It's just a fun innovative experience all around.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HGH posted:

"What is that man doing with his anus?!"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What, a playable Cloud Atlas without the yellowface?

I never saw cloud atlas, so, maybe?

Interconnected short stories is a good enough framing device for a game that I'm surprised I don't see it more often. I've been really enjoying it in Octopath traveler, although it took a while to get going.

Speaking of Octopath Traveler, there's something about it that's been bumming out: you don't get to wear your secondary job costume on your overworld sprite. I know that would have required them to make way more sprites and isn't exactly practical, but, danmit, I wanna run around in Tressa's hunter costume! It has ears!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

HGH posted:

Yeah, it managed to get so many things, despite some less intuitive parts (like most of the near future chapter). It's just a fun innovative experience all around.

it just reminds me of CAD

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

YIIK reminds me of The Demon Rush series, what it could've been if they had an actual budget and staff.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

YIIK reminds me of The Demon Rush series, what it could've been if they had an actual budget and staff.

This is an insult to The Demon Rush, which despite being bad in its own right is at least sincere and unpretentious

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

Is it for Nelke or Lulua?

Majority Nelke since it's out in a week. I didn't really see anything new in the Lulua segment, though the Premium Box (which ended up being the NISA LE these past two releases) seems like they're not including a poster.

https://twitter.com/Ichikyo57/status/1087314255865630720

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Dehry posted:

Majority Nelke since it's out in a week. I didn't really see anything new in the Lulua segment, though the Premium Box (which ended up being the NISA LE these past two releases) seems like they're not including a poster.

https://twitter.com/Ichikyo57/status/1087314255865630720

i guess it fits since nelke is, much like a fire emblem protagonist, a blue-haired swordlord?

also i was hitting weights so i missed the live; any other highlights?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i guess it fits since nelke is, much like a fire emblem protagonist, a blue-haired swordlord?

also i was hitting weights so i missed the live; any other highlights?

They just kinda went through all the features and showed off the finished OP.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I broke down and bought YIIK so I can stream and mock it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

You're going to be very bored, I loving told you

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CaptainScraps posted:

they're gonna bad rats their way to a billion dollars

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

You're going to be very bored, I loving told you

If I can figure poo poo out I'll do a screenshot LP so no one else has to play this game.

There's no way a video LP would work, no one's sitting through 11 minute poo poo battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CaptainScraps posted:

If I can figure poo poo out I'll do a screenshot LP so no one else has to play this game.

There's no way a video LP would work, no one's sitting through 11 minute poo poo battles.

a screenshot lp is going to be twice as miserable to put together as a heavily edited video lp