Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I hit chapter 5 in Coldsteel and I gotta say Millium's class intro stuff has really not done much to endear her to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
she gets better stuff in cold steel 2 where she's more relevant to what's going on

she mostly feels tossed in at the end of the first game just to give you an extra party member

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Millium's intro stuff is pretty rough but she gets some really nice moments in CS2 when they start focusing in on her actual relationships, yeah. Her stuff with Claire is honestly really sweet. I think they tried a little too hard to make her a goofy character early on, though I get why since Class VII is a pretty downbeat bunch outside of her.

And once she just integrates as an actual part of the cast she's alright even in CS1. Love her dunking on Jusis.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Echoing the above, everyone scratches their head at Millium in the first game, but she's actually really fun.

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/976145442026151936

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Dehry posted:

They just kinda went through all the features and showed off the finished OP.

im watching right now and the game looks dull overall, chainsaw sword aside

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I hit chapter 5 in Coldsteel and I gotta say Millium's class intro stuff has really not done much to endear her to me.

I didn't mind her character too much, but the way she's sexualized is super gross. Her interactions with Angelica are a low point for both of them.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

The Colonel posted:

a screenshot lp is going to be twice as miserable to put together as a heavily edited video lp

This.

SSLPs are loving brutal even when you love the game. I can't imagine doing a SSLP for a game I hate.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
siiiiigh

guess i'll go set up the usual trap for The Dark Id

anyone got some string and a whiskey bottle

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i did a sslp of dragon slayer jr. once and i don't think i could ever do one again for a game longer than one hour

glad i narrowly escaped starting an lp of deponia though that would've been much worse

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I mean, beside all that you said you were gonna stream it so like... your stream will be terrible probably, I would think

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

corn in the bible posted:

I mean, beside all that you said you were gonna stream it so like... your stream will be terrible probably, I would think

It already is. I enjoy mocking games from my childhood while my wife dunks on me for being bad at them. I'm lucky if I get 15 viewers.

I was going to do a recording and stream with OBS then chop the screenshots out of the recording when i played it back.

gently caress I guess I should just learn the 6 types of editing software and what deinterlacing is I guess.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Well, that's the easiest way to do a screenshot lp if you want to do one, just pulling screengrabs from video. You can make gifs too!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CaptainScraps posted:

If I can figure poo poo out I'll do a screenshot LP so no one else has to play this game.

There's no way a video LP would work, no one's sitting through 11 minute poo poo battles.
But what about Lemonade. ?

I assume there's plenty of other insane poo poo in the game that wouldn't come across properly in screenshots, too.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

an actual dog posted:

they're gonna bad rats their way to a billion dollars

for real i hope at least a few people hateplaying this garbage pirated the game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Might have to give up on TLR, the base 3 boss seems completely unbeatable, the boss can take off 50% of all my unions health with the first attack, has 5 adds that can all kill a union in two attacks and if by some miracle I kill them the boss constantly summons more until I get stuck in a loop of revive - get killed - revive until it overtakes me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Speaking of Octopath Traveler, there's something about it that's been bumming out: you don't get to wear your secondary job costume on your overworld sprite. I know that would have required them to make way more sprites and isn't exactly practical, but, danmit, I wanna run around in Tressa's hunter costume! It has ears!

Speaking of Octopath, I am currently about level 30 in that game and just figured out that there are secondary job shrines scattered about. Have yet to actually see one.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Morpheus posted:

Speaking of Octopath, I am currently about level 30 in that game and just figured out that there are secondary job shrines scattered about. Have yet to actually see one.

For the most part, they are within a screen or two away from the secondary cities (or the cities where the chapter 2 stories happen for most characters).

If you turn on your mini map, you'll see a weird little symbol that looks like the ancient greek architecture. Without the minimap, they're pretty hard to find.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Sakurazuka posted:

Might have to give up on TLR, the base 3 boss seems completely unbeatable, the boss can take off 50% of all my unions health with the first attack, has 5 adds that can all kill a union in two attacks and if by some miracle I kill them the boss constantly summons more until I get stuck in a loop of revive - get killed - revive until it overtakes me.
Careful with summons and targeting here cause if they raidlock the boss, that's when he'll pull out galaxy.

The rest is just standard focus adds and heal each other up. Most problems in TLR come down to targeting and union setup unless you are rolling out with like nothing but item classes (which can happen).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At far as I know I've got three melee focused squads and two magic each with items/healing magic as back up. I just can't do enough damage to the enemy squads and eventually I just have to focus on healing all the time which is a game you will lose eventually. Also in three attempts I've never gotten a summon or other big attack to pop up.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Barudak posted:

If that second ending is real I mother loving called it
If anyone wants to verify, the steps are to go outside your house when the world breaks down and Sammy will be hiding behind the tree in your yard. Go back inside, log onto the computer, and read the developer message. Then exit through the door in your house that normally leads to the radio tower mountain and drive to the east part of the map "KNN"

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I wish Live A Live had gotten a sequel. It's such a cool idea, I'd love to see it done a again.
It's a game I always thought could have been tightened up a fair amount through experience, but I still loved the disparate vignettes and even getting crushed in the wrestling chapter was fast paced enough to brute force some winning plays.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

At far as I know I've got three melee focused squads and two magic each with items/healing magic as back up. I just can't do enough damage to the enemy squads and eventually I just have to focus on healing all the time which is a game you will lose eventually. Also in three attempts I've never gotten a summon or other big attack to pop up.

You need a character as the leader of a union to be able to use their summons and special Arts, so make sure you've got Rush and Emmy leading teams (also Jager if you've got him). Plus anyone else who has a unique Art (Irina, David, etc).

Playing the healing game actually can work in some cases because you can rely on big damage counters/stuns and arts to get the job done. Some Arts trigger based on being at low Morale/HP (Irina's Omnistrike for example). David's triggers at high or low morale but only if he isn't in Deadlock, and so on.

You might also want to check your BR rank as to where you're roughly supposed to be, if you're under ranked you can always go clean up some sidequests or just fight some tough single enemy mobs to build up your stats a bit.

I don't really remember anything specific about that fight unfortunately, I pretty much blasted through all the bases without much issue.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/highimpactsex/status/1087436985449488388

woof

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

there is always more and there is always worse

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

People are influenced by morbid stories they hear and if it'd just been left at 'what would it be like to investigate a mysterious death before the internet' i could get that but literally copying the exact details of her death down to her race and and her specific pyschoses is, uh, really hosed up.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

What in the everloving gently caress

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah that's really supposed to be the sort of thing you leave unsaid

hence why nearly every story ever written has the "persons and places depicted are fictional" disclaimer

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

gently caress, now it's doing Pokemon Reborn poo poo too!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shadow hearts (which is an influence, apparently) references real world events and tragedies too but i feel like there's a difference between referencing the romanov family's execution and just having some random lady's death be mined for your Deep Commentary on Video Games

and shadow hearts doesnt just, recreate the romanov family execution in ps2 graphics

actually im pretty sure every time shadow hearts references the events of ww1 it uses real world photographs?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also there was approximately 90 years between the execution of the romanovs and shadow hearts 2's development

versus the, uh, six, years between yiik and that woman's death. and its been in development for four years so make that, like, two.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

One is a major historical event and the other is a private tragedy that people were already overly invasive about. Not even close to comparable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

an actual dog posted:

One is a major historical event and the other is a private tragedy that people were already overly invasive about. Not even close to comparable.
Yeah, exactly. I'm trying to even think of a game that's this tasteless about something so minor in the grand scheme of things. I guess there's some japanese horror games that are influenced by the era of strange crime, like the tsutomu miyazaki case? but even then those were well-reported on criminal cases and the focus is mostly on the psychological impact those crimes had on japanese society, not individually recreating the murders.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well it turns out I'm an idiot and it was actually fairly easy if you just focus on taking out the three spellcaster groups first lol

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The only thing that comes to mind is the slenderman movie, and even that isn't based on the actual event.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
no lie, I immediately thought of Elisa Lam when I saw "based on someone's death". people are obsessed with that story even though it's a shut and close case at this point.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
this doesnt seem that bad, it's not making fun of the event or her insanity or anything. it's a little tasteless yeah but i cant imagine someone irl being nauseated at encountering this like the person who wrote the album

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah that's fuckin horrible.

FF7 is a game with a story inspired by the death of, what was it, the lead writer's mother? But that's sharing your personal story and how it affected you. But to use the death of someone you knew nothing about short of that you read about it on the internet? That is your inspiration? What the gently caress is wrong with this dev?

Time, money, all the regular roadblocks of making a game that can contribute to weirdness in your final product, my empathy about any of that is completely gone. This poo poo stain is inexcusable. The only thing I have to say is, I apologize entirely for ever having gone to bat for him over dev cycle constraints.

Distasteful disaster. gently caress.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 21, 2019

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Tired Moritz posted:

no lie, I immediately thought of Elisa Lam when I saw "based on someone's death". people are obsessed with that story even though it's a shut and close case at this point.

Yeah I saw the first screenshot of the elevator and was like "oh no" because I'd seen that footage before and knew exactly what it was. I was introduced to the Lam death from a song I really like about a guy who went and stayed in the same hotel where it happened after getting all into the investigation. It's a wild contrast with the way the same event can influence people, where one guy made a work of art which is really interesting and evocative and the other made YIIK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01bBxX1iQ84

E: the album cover is a photograph of the water towers where Lam died that the guy took during the events of the song

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Relin posted:

this doesnt seem that bad, it's not making fun of the event or her insanity or anything. it's a little tasteless yeah but i cant imagine someone irl being nauseated at encountering this like the person who wrote the album

i think that, on top of all the other weirdnesses that have spilled out from this game over the last week, the dev candidly talking about how he basically strip-mined another person's recent tragedy as grist for his own melodrama understandably repels people

jeff mangum this fella ain't

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Relin posted:

Yeah tbh I feel like this is the kind of thing that goes on all the time with authors it's just that in this case the end result is YIIk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's insanely bad that it's in the game and should be rightfully criticized but that person is being so performatively disgusted by it for clicks that it comes off really embarrassing tbh.