Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"Beta Z = "Beta Zed" :aaa:

:aaaaa:

She's telepathic.

Cassandra of Troy also had mind superpowers.

Troi's sister's called KEStra
Her dad was Ian ANDREw

KESANDRE TROI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Does "Klingon" have some painfully obvious root?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Brawnfire posted:

poop

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Brawnfire posted:

Memory Alpha posted:

After Gene Coon conceived the Klingons, a name for the species did not immediately come to mind. He took inspiration from a name which came into earshot, that of Lieutenant Wilbur Clingan – a friend of Gene Roddenberry who served with him in the Los Angeles Police Department. (Star Trek: The Original Series 365, p. 141; Star Trek Creator: The Authorized Biography of Gene Roddenberry, p. 131) Even when retired years later, Clingan was still proud to introduce himself as the first Klingon. Commented Robert Justman, "The question remains whether Gene named these creatures out of homage or revenge. I've heard it both ways." (Star Trek: Communicator issue 114, pp. 22-23)

In the first episode they appeared in, they were pronounced both "Klingon" and "Klingan."

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Brawnfire posted:

The 'Klingons' that surround Uranus.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Scrape 'em off, Jim!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Scrape 'em off, Jim!

The best way to combat Klingons is to pick em off one-by-one.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
As Roddenberry was in WW2, I always figured it was a pretty off the cuff racism of CHING-ons. Especially since the early makeup was basically borderline yellowface.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

jeeves posted:

As Roddenberry was in WW2, I always figured it was a pretty off the cuff racism of CHING-ons. Especially since the early makeup was basically borderline yellowface.

Roddenberry didn't invent Klingons!

Gene Coon did. He was a Korean war vet as I recall.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

jeeves posted:

I was definitely braced for Sinophobia, so it wouldn't surprise.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Why would being a WW2 vet make you hate American ally China?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Scrape 'em off, Jim!

In my head, I heard McCoy saying this, followed by "If you wanna save somebody... save yourself."

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a proctolo- ... oh.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Why would being a WW2 vet make you hate American ally China?

A lot of guys that actually spent time in China during and immediately after the war felt pretty betrayed about the communist government fighting the US just a few short years later in Korea. They were allies with the Nationalists anyhow.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
So about the Betazoids = Greek thing...

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"Beta Z = "Beta Zed" :aaa:

:aaaaa:

Maybe it's stretching but: http://www.startrek.com/article/9-things-you-should-know-about-marina-sirtis

quote:

Born in London to Greek parents

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

Hilariously, they did that exact scene in the latest The Good Place ep.

There's this targ sandwich that if you eat it, it means you hate J'naii. And it's delicious.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I just watched the first two Discovery Shorts, "Runaway", and "Calypso" and they were really loving good. They were extremely Star Trek.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jan 24, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The Brightest Star and the Escape Artist were good too. What the hell, CBS? Why do we have crazy high stakes season long arcs and not something more episodic and good like these?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
To be fair, the season two opener all but beats you over the head with "We're not going to be like Season One!". You literally have a character say they're going to be having more fun. So maybe there is going to be a shift towards something more episodic and classic-Trek style.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I thought Betazoids were meant to be more space hippies. Possibly Eurotrash.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Angry Salami posted:

To be fair, the season two opener all but beats you over the head with "We're not going to be like Season One!". You literally have a character say they're going to be having more fun. So maybe there is going to be a shift towards something more episodic and classic-Trek style.

They also take a literal timeout to introduce the bridge crew that they never let audiences get to know in season one.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It's like when the failing restaurant I worked at changed managers, planted an herb garden in the dining room, added menu items, then hosed off to let it fail all over again.

It's closed now

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MillennialVulcan posted:

They also take a literal timeout to introduce the bridge crew that they never let audiences get to know in season one.

That was hilarious and not exactly in a good way

Ok, roll call for the new captain audience

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

We saw some of those people more towards the end of S1 once Lorca was gone

I hope they do more with them this season though

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Bloop's avatar is now making me picture Inklings in Star Trek.

Might actually be interesting to see a species whose dominant culture isn't even so much capitalism as consumerism and showing off, enthusiastic about fashion and competition. Likely to take interest in the Federation for its variety and depth of cultures and fashions. It's always rather fun to go into the diversity within alien cultures and societies, and how they react to human culture.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Bloop's avatar is now making me picture Inklings in Star Trek.

Might actually be interesting to see a species whose dominant culture isn't even so much capitalism as consumerism and showing off, enthusiastic about fashion and competition. Likely to take interest in the Federation for its variety and depth of cultures and fashions. It's always rather fun to go into the diversity within alien cultures and societies, and how they react to human culture.

In a post scarcity situation, they'd never have to work for Mr Grizz

But I would love to see it. Make a good Orville episode, probably

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Might actually be interesting to see a species whose dominant culture isn't even so much capitalism as consumerism and showing off, enthusiastic about fashion and competition.

I mean let's be honest that's a more likely outcome for a post-scarcity human race than Star Trek.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

MikeJF posted:

I mean let's be honest that's a more likely outcome for a post-scarcity human race than Star Trek.

In the future, everyone is an influencer.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

MikeJF posted:

*money stops existing, replicators are invented*

But but but how do i show how better i am than everyone else??

*arts flourish, but somehow "wall street dickhead" personality starts appearing in sports, fashion and the theatre*

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

*arts flourish, but somehow "wall street dickhead" personality starts appearing in sports, fashion and the theatre*

Those personality types are already rampant in those industries. Same poo poo, different suit.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Basically the Capitol in Hunger Games

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

MillennialVulcan posted:

I kinda liked that despite it probably being in there just for the purpose of actually introducing everyone to the audience. It fits that he was the brand new guy on the ship and just wanted to know who everyone was. The whole episode has an air of basically relaunching things.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Nullsmack posted:

I kinda liked that despite it probably being in there just for the purpose of actually introducing everyone to the audience. It fits that he was the brand new guy on the ship and just wanted to know who everyone was. The whole episode has an air of basically relaunching things.

It was definitely needed and I appreciated it actually. But it was also goofy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Orville used a throwaway pee joke from the pilot and used that as the base concept for introducing their new and improved second season.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

The Orville used a throwaway pee joke from the pilot and used that as the base concept for introducing their new and improved second season.

That's so Venture Bros.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

Third season's going to begin with Bortus and Mercer as captain and first mate on a Master and Commander style frigate, sailing oceans of piss. Orville is now the Peepee Show.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
So I had watched through most of Disco on release and I remember not being impressed with it because *nerd voice* was not "trek". But I went back and did a refresher watch on S1 so I can be prepped for S2 and god drat it was way better the second time around. I am on the fence about the added jokes and levity added in S2 because I already have Orville for that, just keep giving me the same Trek you gave me in S1 and I will be happy. I like the balance we have right now with Disco and Orville airing at the same time. I am optimistic about Disco S2 though.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

"New Eden" was probably the best Prime Directive episode since TOS.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

*money stops existing, replicators are invented*

But but but how do i show how better i am than everyone else??

HD DAD posted:

Those personality types are already rampant in those industries. Same poo poo, different suit.

Sash! posted:

Basically the Capitol in Hunger Games

That's basically where the 'hipster' stereotype comes from, people just enough (or sometimes way too much) money to be comfortable desperately chasing trends and attempting to buy popularity while making it look like they're not putting in any effort. (and failing) And becoming absolutely insufferable as a result even without the gentrification and horrible faux-progressive politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
One thing I like about the new episode of Discovery is the idea that Discovery spore-driving around the Galaxy could show us Gamma and Delta quadrant species. I just hope they don't write anything silly like accidentally creating the Borg or some nonsense.

Technowolf posted:

"New Eden" was probably the best Prime Directive episode since TOS.