Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Any of you dudes watch these two Fyre documentaries? Pump that poo poo in to my veins.

Yeah absolutely nuts, mostly the attendees got scammed and the BWM was the lenders who funded the scam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Yeah absolutely nuts, mostly the attendees got scammed and the BWM was the lenders who funded the scam

I mean I’d say spending 3k-250k on a music festival ticket plus another 3k+ on spending money for said festival, plus transportation is pretty BWM (and there was that one guy who told an organizer he quit his job to go)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Moatman posted:

I mean I’d say spending 3k-250k on a music festival ticket plus another 3k+ on spending money for said festival, plus transportation is pretty BWM (and there was that one guy who told an organizer he quit his job to go)

I mean, if you can spend 250k on entertainment you're pretty gwm.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Residency Evil posted:

I mean, if you can spend 250k on entertainment you're pretty gwm.

Or you can't afford to spend 250k on entertainment and do it anyway. That'd be one hell of a /r/personalfinance post

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Did anyone actually pay $250k? From what I've read/heard this was just to get headlines while selling out discount packages that, if you consider they were largely all-inclusive, were relative bargains for a week in the Bahamas. There were more than a few of those that were sold at further discounts too. It was the equivalent of parking a Lamborghini in front while selling all the marked-down Chevy Cruzes you could. McFarland seemed much more interested in ensuring the festival was sold out than actually making sure that the receipts could pay for this ridiculous project. And lo, they couldn't, and didn't.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Screwed out of $7500.

quote:

colorado: Ok I have no idea how to proceed and I need help.

My wife and I (two girls... maybe they saw us as easy prey?) leased a Jeep from a local dealership. She drives quite far for work so they advised to get high milage and if we went over it would cost us at the end. So they said if we turned it in before 32,000 miles and for another lease vehicle then we could avoid it. We did that twice then wanted a cheaper car. They let us “lease” a 2009 Buick. Turns out we bought it but they led us on to believe we were leasing it. It had a high payment but they said they rolled in the other jeeps and at the end of the lease we would be done. It was a lower payment than the second Jeep so we were happy. Payment was $219/ month. We tried to trade it in this weekend and found out they screwed us over. The value of the car is $2500 and the loan was over $10000. And it looks like we bought it cuz you can’t lease a used car, so they lied to us. And it looks like they sold us gap insurance, assholes. They really did a number on us.

I am humiliated, embarrassed, and furious. I wanna know if I have a case for small claims court? I want out of this car and loan. What are the risks? Do I have any other options? It’s a big dealership so they have the money.

Lawyers, car salesmen, decent people of reddit... HELP.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I withdrew my 401K and made bad investments losing 99.99% of it last year. Now I owe the IRS ~$11K in taxes by October if I file for an extension. Currently I have a total of $1K and make 50K per year. How can I make this happen?

quote:

Title explains it all.

Reply posted:

How in the hell did that happen?

OP posted:

I don't want to get into it but let's just say I invested in something that was hyped up.
It was bitcoin.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Even bitcoin didn't lose that much of its value. My guess is some heavily leveraged margin trade on something dumb like Sears.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

GamingHyena posted:

Even bitcoin didn't lose that much of its value. My guess is some heavily leveraged margin trade on something dumb like Sears.

You can also get quite a bit of leverage on bitcoin with the whole lack of regulation.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Enchanted Hat posted:

Upside down on our car

quote:

I needed a reliable car... '01 Audi... '13 Chrysler 300... '05 Audi S4 wagon... Audi and Chrysler... ‘76 Chevy

howdoesishotweb posted:

Upside down, right side up, whatever.. nothing says reliable and affordable like Audi and Chrysler, let alone 15-20 year old Audi S-line.
loving seriously.

Cacafuego posted:

This person seems to be GWM, but this was the first time I had seen this and I'll have to add that to my BWM searches:

quote:

50k aircraft loan @ 5.5%
I can't seem to wrap my head around a backdoor Roth IRA and need some advice.
I am thinking of RV and boat loan rates, and 5.5% sounds downright cheap. He must be a low credit risk.

That's the good stuff. Read your contracts, people. No, he owes $11k by either Jan15 or Apr15, he'll owe $11k+penalties if you pay in October with the extension. I thought that was basic knowledge.

I started reading the title you posted and immediately thought "it was bitcoin on margin". I'm glad it was! But this is kind of sad:

quote:

I am currently figuring out a way I can live out of a car. If I accomplish this I should be able to pay it off by October, or maybe a month or two after that.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Enchanted Hat posted:

How does someone become that servile? If a company that I worked for told us that it was having financial issues, I'd start looking for a new job, not ways of saving the company money.

Upside down on our car

https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/ahy9lb/upside_down_on_our_car/

Ahahahah, they want to trade 3 working vehicles for a 2005 sports car with "drivetrain issues."
"I literally make my living dealing with German cars. I have for the past 14 years. You couldn’t give me a B6 S4 for free. It literally isn’t worth the space it would take up in my garage."
The second result on google for that car is "Here’s Why The V8 Audi S4 Is An Awful Used Car" https://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-the-v8-audi-s4-is-an-awful-used-car-1676466510

Even with a mechanic boyfriend doing """free""" wrenching, they'll looking at a $3000 repair. It's ~$8,000 to have a shop do it for you.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Crosspost from the milsurp thread

Tolstoy was BWM

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Crosspost from the milsurp thread

Tolstoy was BWM

Ok, but was that horse a tricked out pickup or a brand new base trim econobox?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BonerGhost posted:

Ok, but was that horse a tricked out pickup or a brand new base trim econobox?

Rich Corinthian leather bridle plus one of those bags you put on their butts to catch the poop.

It was nice.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Sadly he thought he was just leasing ☹️

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

MisterOblivious posted:

The second result on google for that car is "Here’s Why The V8 Audi S4 Is An Awful Used Car" https://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-the-v8-audi-s4-is-an-awful-used-car-1676466510

Even with a mechanic boyfriend doing """free""" wrenching, they'll looking at a $3000 repair. It's ~$8,000 to have a shop do it for you.

Here is a goon who recently performed this service and posted the nightmare in AI’s Audi/VW thread. It is quite impressive!

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

kw0134 posted:

Did anyone actually pay $250k? From what I've read/heard this was just to get headlines while selling out discount packages that, if you consider they were largely all-inclusive, were relative bargains for a week in the Bahamas. There were more than a few of those that were sold at further discounts too. It was the equivalent of parking a Lamborghini in front while selling all the marked-down Chevy Cruzes you could. McFarland seemed much more interested in ensuring the festival was sold out than actually making sure that the receipts could pay for this ridiculous project. And lo, they couldn't, and didn't.

A lot of people seemed to have paid only $800. Which is ridiculous when Coachella costs like $500 but nothing is provided other than the entrance. Maybe if they had sold it as a real luxury festival with $5000 tickets and had more time to plan the festival would have succeeded. But it actually takes a lot of infrastructure work in order to get a good festival running. It seems like no one who attended a music festival before.

EDIT: Seems like the price a lot of people paid was actually $1200 which still isn't enough. Also some people paid only $500.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBPg5ftCMv8

Nirvikalpa fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 28, 2019

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Nirvikalpa posted:

A lot of people seemed to have paid only $800. Which is ridiculous when Coachella costs like $500 but nothing is provided other than the entrance. Maybe if they had sold it as a real luxury festival with $5000 tickets and had more time to plan the festival would have succeeded. But it actually takes a lot of infrastructure work in order to get a good festival running. It seems like no one who attended a music festival before.

EDIT: Seems like the price a lot of people paid was actually $1200 which still isn't enough. Also some people paid only $500.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBPg5ftCMv8

Of course it would've helped to maybe not get kicked off the original island, that they pretended to own, for advertising it as Pablo Escobar's island ispite of the owners explicit wishes.

The guy running the show is just a bad conman, making him BWM and BWL. While on bail he started a new hustle selling tickets they did not have and in some cases to tickets that did not exist (like the Met Gala or a meet and greet with Taylor Swift).

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Propaniac posted:

We have been living off hubands income and using mine to pay off student loans plus daycare.

His monthly take home is $5000

Mortgage $2350

This doesn't compute unless they were okay with half his income going to mortgage payments to begin with :shepspends:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
We moving soon?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Did I gently caress up bwm thread? Got a 2019 Hyundai ioniq that gets 55-65mpg for 1.9% apr over 60 months at 21k. I put 3k down that I got from totalling out my paid off 2006 Ford focus. It got water logged driving through a semi flooded area(insurance marked it as an act of God).

I drive about 60 miles a day for work(15k a year). So in 5 years when its paid off and If i take care of it I should be able to get some return. And I'm hoping by then electric cars will be in the mid 20's and/or I'll be making a bunch more money a year then I do now.

Also the reason I went hybrid is for the high gas mpg and the ioniq has the highest of them all. Also Hyundai covers the battery for life for the original owner of the car.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 29, 2019

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
You hosed up by posting about it in the BWM thread.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Holyshoot posted:

Did I gently caress up bwm thread? Got a 2019 Hyundai ioniq that gets 55-65mpg for 1.9% apr over 60 months at 21k. I put 3k down that I got from totalling out my paid off 2006 Ford focus. It got water logged driving through a semi flooded area(insurance marked it as an act of God).

I drive about 60 miles a day for work(15k a year). So in 5 years when its paid off and If i take care of it I should be able to get some return. And I'm hoping by then electric cars will be in the mid 20's and/or I'll be making a bunch more money a year then I do now.

Also the reason I went hybrid is for the high gas mpg and the ioniq has the highest of them all. Also Hyundai covers the battery for life for the original owner of the car.

Why were you driving through a semi-flooded area?

https://youtu.be/Wp2ChlOFYBw

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

Shirec posted:

I’ve done pretty much everything I can at this point other than asking for a pay cut (which I could — I’m senior, single and have enough money but I realize this could affect my prospects in the future) but I’m becoming more and more resentful of coworkers who haven’t even considered the things I’ve done. They still submit overtime, travel expenses, etc. At some point we all have to pull together but I feel like I’m the only one pulling, 

So that's what Dwight Schrute has been up to lately

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Holyshoot posted:

This is three paragraphs of bullshit you made me read, I'm sending you an invoice

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Holyshoot posted:

If I could, I'd probate you until the heat death of the universe.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Holyshoot posted:

Did I gently caress up bwm thread?

Yes, you have hosed up the thread

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Holyshoot posted:

Preemptively answering a question that one one cares to ask.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Holyshoot posted:

Sir, this is a pet store. Can I interest you in a dog loan?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's not even that it was a self brag. It was the most boring self brag ever.

If you're going to get probated, at least do it while talking about your hot girlfriend in your hot car that you bought with hot Buttcoins you cashed out at $18k a piece.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
God i WISH I could cash out my girlfriend for $18k

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

God i WISH I could cash out my girlfriend for $18k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Cn8PV33gk

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Holyshoot posted:

Did I gently caress up? I bought a [boring car] with [boring fuel efficiency] at a [boring interest rate with totally standard payments]. I made a [totally boring down payment]. It was totaled when [I drove like a retard]. I drive [a totally ordinary boring number of miles]. I have [totally whack-rear end boring] optimism about the future [about which my fantasies are tedious to the point of nausea].

I made a [totally rational economic choice] with a [totally ordinary car manufacturer].

LISTEN BITCH, I WANNA HEAR ABOUT HOW YOU WENT $0 DOWN ON YOUR 84 MONTH 14% LOAN TO GET A TAYCAN, NERD.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

LISTEN BITCH, I WANNA HEAR ABOUT HOW YOU WENT $0 DOWN ON YOUR 84 MONTH 14% LOAN TO GET A TAYCAN, NERD.

I can't even read his post. I don't have him on ignore, my brain just refuses to interpret the words.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Here's how you loving self-post you goddamn chimp:

On Saturday my wife and I went to look at a $1.8M house that occupies the entirety of a 5 acre peninsula jutting out into a State Park. The peninsula is surrounded on 3 sides by protected land and thus enjoys panoramic 270 degree views of the lake. It has 6,000 square feet and an electric bill of more than $500 a month.

To swing this transaction I'd have to subdivide out 2 acres from the front (almost impossible without a sustainability and engineering survey - TREE LAW - and sell one to my mother and father in law and another to my brother and sister in law. Even building the whole thing out as a compound, my wife and I would be living hand to mouth for 4 years until we hit loan forgiveness, at which point (and only after this point) would the mortgage be less than 50% of our take-home pay every single month.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Here's how you loving self-post you goddamn chimp:

On Saturday my wife and I went to look at a $1.8M house that occupies the entirety of a 5 acre peninsula jutting out into a State Park. The peninsula is surrounded on 3 sides by protected land and thus enjoys panoramic 270 degree views of the lake. It has 6,000 square feet and an electric bill of more than $500 a month.

To swing this transaction I'd have to subdivide out 2 acres from the front (almost impossible without a sustainability and engineering survey - TREE LAW - and sell one to my mother and father in law and another to my brother and sister in law. Even building the whole thing out as a compound, my wife and I would be living hand to mouth for 4 years until we hit loan forgiveness, at which point (and only after this point) would the mortgage be less than 50% of our take-home pay every single month.

When do you sign the papers?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
[cries] It's... it's beautiful, EAT FASTER!!!!!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

When do you sign the papers?

Edit: BUT ALSO HOW THE HELL can any view in Iowa be worth that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
Aren't PSLF claims being rejected pretty frequently?