Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

5er posted:

I'm not sure where I read it but I think it's been mathed out that Adventure Mode is the faster route. Hell, if you're on PC, at this point the fastest route is asking for help with a powerlevel in the SA channel.

been a while, so i might be misremembering, but the enemies seemed weaker and levels came quicker. (mind, i'm talking first two or so hours of the game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Snacksmaniac posted:

Area over raw (10% damage)? That's two votes for that so that's my winner. My gut told me raw damage but I guess I'm wrong!

Area damage is super effective for some (under the engine) reasons and you should have it in almost all of the builds. It's what explodes half of the screen in instant while you're just whirlwinding normally.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Rinkles posted:

been a while, so i might be misremembering, but the enemies seemed weaker and levels came quicker. (mind, i'm talking first two or so hours of the game)

I think the optimal way to level "normally" (i.e. no powerlevel) is to play on normal until you kill Haedrig's wife (but don't turn in the quest), then increase to T6 and complete the quest and then run hard rifts until you're 70.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

plainswalker75 posted:

I think the optimal way to level "normally" (i.e. no powerlevel) is to play on normal until you kill Haedrig's wife (but don't turn in the quest), then increase to T6 and complete the quest and then run hard rifts until you're 70.
It's also possibly worthwhile to continue all the way to the Skeleton King fight (you may as well turn in the quest too), since your first SK kill is a guaranteed Leoric's Crown (and someone mentioned in chat that that Leoric's Crown is now always socketed; you don't have to wait for level 20 or whatever it was).

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
How does area damage even work?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Zarin posted:

Is there a Goon Discord for this game?

Trying to talk to people on voice while farming junk is far preferable to typing.

I also realize I may be the only person that actually wants to talk to anyone else subjecting themselves to this game, so . . . welp.

I'm guessing the answer to this is probably "nah", but I figured I'd check once more before I throw in the towel!

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

BrightWing posted:

How does area damage even work?
You have a 20% chance on each damage instance to deal (your area damage %) of that damage instance to all enemies within 10 yards of the target. Its usefulness depends on how many enemies you fight at a time: it's generally not very effective on RGs, for example, but can be very effective against large packs.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Let's assume you have 20 enemies, a really dense pack, and you have 100% AD. You hit them all for 1 damage and trigger your area damage 4 times. (20*20%). Each one hits the 19 surrounding enemies once so you do 4*19 = 96. Plus the 20x1 damage you got from hitting them with your base attack and you're doing 116x your single target damage.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Vyr's is one of those sets where you need 13 distinct legendaries + all corresponding cube effects for it to really work, and even then, it somehow manages to have even less flexibility than Tal/Vyr Archon. It's a fine second character option, but rough going as a first.
Step 1: gamble manald @ 27 on an alt, cube it
Step 2: gamble swami @ 30 on an alt, cube it
Step 3: gamble fazulas @ 33? (this might be 37, I don't remember) on an alt (and wear it)
Step 4: stack as much CDR as humanly possible

It's like 3k-5k blood shards to get those things, and only the first two are really important and ~2k total. Arguably only swami is if you are lazy and it's ~1k shards.

Vyrs owns as a starting build. You become a literal immortal who slays t13. It's not as good as some other classes, but I'd take it over most other wizard sets. It just has the awkward 2nd character gamble requirement.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 29, 2019

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Ok the CR this week is actually super cool and unique. Shame it's not a good build much beyond the GR50 they were playing.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bamhand posted:

Ok the CR this week is actually super cool and unique. Shame it's not a good build much beyond the GR50 they were playing.
I don't get what's cool about it. You spam 1 and occasionally press 2 and lmb.

I didn't bother to look at his gear and I've never read crusader skills, but I still got a sub 4 minute time despite running into all the deadends.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's a skill that no one has used since when you had to level up rift keys and fun having summons as a crusader. I suppose the actual game play wasn't great. But the combo of gear was neat.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zarin posted:

I'm guessing the answer to this is probably "nah", but I figured I'd check once more before I throw in the towel!

I don’t know how live the regular diablo discord is, but the nintengoon one has people on and off (by dint of there being literally no way in game to communicate with people). Can’t crossplay with PC but if the goal is “chat with other people solo farming” then there might be people in it occasionally :shrug:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bamhand posted:

It's a skill that no one has used since when you had to level up rift keys and fun having summons as a crusader. I suppose the actual game play wasn't great. But the combo of gear was neat.
yeah, I had never seen that skill before.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Thank you, AD was one of those things i just hoped was working cause i had no clue.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
I haven't played for a year, since condemn became King. That was fun, but not really worth doing twice, though it was the best way to speed level gems solo by a mile. Looking at Rhyyker's class tiers reveals very little changed since then until now, so many more S and A tier builds this season. Night and day. They finally did another rebalancing! Only class I haven't really played is witchdoctor, finally he gets a buff. Looking forward to trying Jade. Likely among my last D3 seasons. At least Arachyr is the free set!

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Going witch doctor myself this season, and the arachyr set is pretty lovely in survivability once it becomes an important quality in the torments.

You need to roll blood shards on bracers until you get the one that gives you 6% dmg reduction per stack of soul harvest, and mix it with the ritual dagger that lets you get 10 soul harvest stacks.
Most of the endgame builds use this combo for the intelligence bonus of soul harvest+damage reduction+whatever rune effect you want. +30% intelligence is nothing to sneeze at.

However, combining the 2p arachyr bonus and the zunimassa set 6p makes for a pretty good early build you can slap together, because the 4000% dmg giant spider of the 2p set is a pet, and benefits from the 15000% damage by pets if you hit an enemy with a mana spender.

I am running a full zunimassa-firebats build currently. Might transition into jade later.

The witch doctor passive that reduces all cooldowns whenever an enemy dies in a radius is so, so amazing. Its like a little in-geom.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Do you like to run homebrew figured-it-out-myself builds, or are you open to some suggestions?

You didn't ask for any advice so I don't want to give it, but your post has led me to believe that your character could be significantly improved with a few tweaks.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Do you like to run homebrew figured-it-out-myself builds, or are you open to some suggestions?

You didn't ask for any advice so I don't want to give it, but your post has led me to believe that your character could be significantly improved with a few tweaks.
Go ahead.

Currently running:
sacred harvester
mantle of channeling
bakuli jungle wraps
shukranis triumph
lakumbas ornament
travelers pledge and compass rose
The rest is zunimassas gear

I have a staff of chiroptera, mask of jeram and short mans finger cubed.

Skills are
firebats-direbats
soul harvest-siphon
fetish army-legion of daggers
gargantuan-humongoid
spirit walk-severance
piranhas-zombie piranhas

passives
confidence ritual, midnight feast, grave injustice, spirit vessel

legendary gems are enforcer, bane of the powerful, and bane of the trapped.

I went off an icy-veins build because I had a lot of the parts and I was sick and tired of managing the toad to survive with arachyrs.

I went with zombie piranhas because of the shorter cooldown and it seems to have a bigger range due to the fish jumping out.

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 29, 2019

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
what do I have to sacrifice this season to get a tzo kirn's gaze, jesus christ.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

90s Shoes posted:

what do I have to sacrifice this season to get a tzo kirn's gaze, jesus christ.

hey, I’ve got half a dozen of those but I can’t find a fist of rear end to rack or a lions claw at all

Vicar
Oct 20, 2007

i've been been farming for two whole nights using all my blood shards + death's breaths on rings to try to find 2x unity but I haven't found a single one this season

...it's not one of the items you can only find in bounty caches is it?

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Vicar posted:

i've been been farming for two whole nights using all my blood shards + death's breaths on rings to try to find 2x unity but I haven't found a single one this season

No, took me forever to find my second, then I found 6

mewse
May 2, 2006

Vicar posted:

No it's a regular drop. I've only seen one this season

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Marketing New Brain posted:

No, took me forever to find my second, then I found 6
Yeah, same here. Took me forever to find one, not too long to find a second after that, and then two more immediately dropped. (And, of course, these last two dropped after I switched out my Unity for CoE for more damage.)

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Helms are an already stacked item slot before you add in spirit stones. Just about the only reliable way you are going to get a Tzo Kirin if it isn't dropping for you is upgrading yellows. And since you can't get one, you can you'll have no problems wearing a sage helm + either boots or gloves and farming a poo poo ton of dbs until you get it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Pharohman777 posted:

Go ahead.

Currently running:
sacred harvester
mantle of channeling
bakuli jungle wraps
shukranis triumph
lakumbas ornament
travelers pledge and compass rose
The rest is zunimassas gear

I have a staff of chiroptera, mask of jeram and short mans finger cubed.

Skills are
firebats-direbats
soul harvest-siphon
fetish army-legion of daggers
gargantuan-humongoid
spirit walk-severance
piranhas-zombie piranhas

passives
confidence ritual, midnight feast, grave injustice, spirit vessel

legendary gems are enforcer, bane of the powerful, and bane of the trapped.

I went off an icy-veins build because I had a lot of the parts and I was sick and tired of managing the toad to survive with arachyrs.

I went with zombie piranhas because of the shorter cooldown and it seems to have a bigger range due to the fish jumping out.

I'm a buffoon - ignore me, I read your post wrong and thought you had cobbled together some janky poo poo and thought the Firebats counted as Pets. I forgot Firebats is the Spender that trigger Zunimassa.

Dameius posted:

Helms are an already stacked item slot before you add in spirit stones. Just about the only reliable way you are going to get a Tzo Kirin if it isn't dropping for you is upgrading yellows. And since you can't get one, you can you'll have no problems wearing a sage helm + either boots or gloves and farming a poo poo ton of dbs until you get it.

Yeah... just upgrade yellow Spirit Stones in the Cube. 1/12 chance, so farm up like 250-300 Deffbreffs and do 'em

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Man Necromancer got boring quick. What's a fun class between Witch Doctor, Crusader, and Barbarian?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Barb for sure.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Barb and Crusader yeah.

Barb is going to be more mechanically intensive most of the time.

Crusader is your more 'laid back' pick.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
If you aren’t experienced Condemn crusader is satisfying, easy to gear and plays itself

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Marketing New Brain posted:

If you aren’t experienced Condemn crusader is satisfying, easy to gear and plays itself

I died a lot when I first made my crusader I don't know what the hell I was doing wrong. When I pick her back up, I have a hard time adjusting too. I don't get it :/

Also I can't get ramaldi's gift to drop so that's my white whale this season.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
My white whale are primals. I've cleared a 104. I'm top third on the leaderboard. I'm paragon 850ish, got my freebie at paragon 250ish. I've had a single primal drop.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm Paragon 598 and I've gotten at least 10 Primals. Most recently,

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Cold damage even. drat.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
smh at the console sans serif

(i get it's for tv readability)

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

Cold damage even. drat.
I don’t think the damage type on weapons matter at all.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Rinkles posted:

smh at the console sans serif

(i get it's for tv readability)

The fonts on the pc version are exactly the same as on the console version. It’s Helvetica, a perfectly fine font

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Playing my first demon hunter. Was boring the first 20 levels or so, and then a legendary crossbow dropped that adds 100% damage to Strafe, as well as a bunch of other equipment that helps manage my Hatred.

I've now spent the last 10 levels just melting everything by walking into a room/large enemy grouup, dropping Sentry Spitfire Turrets and Marked for Death w/Contagion and turning on Strafe :blastu: I know it won't last forever but man is it fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

stuxracer posted:

I don’t think the damage type on weapons matter at all.

It does not but I thought it would have some sort of crazy multiplier with polar station. I guess everything can't be broken!