Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Thankfully the dead can't run for president either, or we'd have unending darkness of zombie Regan.
On the other hand, zombie FDR might not be so bad...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

OAquinas posted:

The logs showed no evidence of buying/selling ISK.

I'd laugh my rear end off if it was the same aluminum magnate that threw a bunch of cash at an EVE alliance.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Nemo Somen posted:

So this is just posturing from the Republican Senators, right? I don't really see the House voting for a repeal.

It's them letting the donor class know that Republicans still have their backs, and suggesting how much more money they could save by helping Republicans retake control of congress.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

mllaneza posted:

I'd laugh my rear end off if it was the same aluminum magnate that threw a bunch of cash at an EVE alliance.

There can't be that many Russian aluminum magnates. People always talked like that guy was way younger though

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Moatman posted:

There can't be that many Russian aluminum magnates. People always talked like that guy was way younger though

Well, that was 10 years ago

Good god we're old.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acT_PSAZ7BQ

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

The idea of the government getting its filthy mitts on the money your dying dad hands to you on his deathbed isn’t appealing to Americans as a whole, even when we’re talking about millions of unearned dollars.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

ProperGanderPusher posted:

The idea of the government getting its filthy mitts on the money your dying dad hands to you on his deathbed isn’t appealing to Americans as a whole, even when we’re talking about millions of unearned dollars.

Reminder that the estate tax is entirely voluntary. Give all of your money to charity and your estate won't pay a dime in tax.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Why should the filthy money your dad hands you to start your business be treated any diffently by the government than the filthy money you rip from his cold dead hands?

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

By fil-thee hands—
—All dead and cold,
That’s the way—
—America’s sold!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zero estate tax for anything up to like 2 million, progressively increasing estate tax for anything over that.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Either you can have a wealth tax when you're alive, or we can collect it on your death. The estate tax IS the compromise.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Lol how many people are actually expecting to inherit anything from their deadbeat boomer parents?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol how many people are actually expecting to inherit anything from their deadbeat boomer parents?

Plenty. Mostly because I think most people haven't sat down and considered how expensive end of life care can get.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Ok, how many are expecting to inherit over 11 million?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Nobody does the math. that's why people making 50k a year are hooting and hollering about AOC's 70% marginal tax rate that wouldn't even tax them one penny if they got their entire lifetime's worth of earnings at once. Everybody is a loving moron and it's the only way the 1% grift works

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Do classic toy trains count? Because I'm expecting a lot of those.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Nobody does the math. that's why people making 50k a year are hooting and hollering about AOC's 70% marginal tax rate that wouldn't even tax them one penny if they got their entire lifetime's worth of earnings at once. Everybody is a loving moron and it's the only way the 1% grift works

One of the lowlights of my highschool was having to explain to the teacher in the economics(!) class how marginal tax rates work.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

xrunner posted:

Plenty. Mostly because I think most people haven't sat down and considered how expensive end of life care can get.

How expensive can guillotines really be?

People with millions of dollars are inherently different than you and I. Be stupid and angry, make them like you, take it.

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 30, 2019

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
interesting devil-in-the-details analysis from here

quote:

Republicans, badly damaged by the 2017 campaign to repeal the Affordable Care Act, have struggled to craft a powerful message against Medicare-for-all. One argument against it, that it was a "$32 trillion takeover” of health insurance, fell flat in the midterms. A much more promising line of attack is about the bill's implications for private insurance, and the necessity to raise taxes to replace insurance premiums. This month's Kaiser tracking poll found 56 percent of voters backing “Medicare-for-all” — but 60 percent of them opposing “higher taxes,” 60 percent opposing a “threat to the current Medicare program” and 58 percent against “eliminating private insurance companies.”

But for Democrats who endured the final years of the Obama presidency, nothing did more political damage than the Affordable Care Act's changes to private plans, many of which were canceled.

So you've got 56% for m4a in principle, but 58-60% against implementing it. The good news is that's not a HUGE gap, but it does seem to indicate that campaigning on "americans want m4a" is a plan with some holes in it. And hey, the republicans did great running on repealing obamacare while ignoring the details - it's just the election after that where things got messy.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
No citation available that I can find, but NBC and regional news is covering both the Schultz talk interviews (which were scathing) and the House intelligence hearing. The House hearing is being framed in a pretty horrible way for trump- they swap immediately between his statements and his appointees contradicting him.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

awesmoe posted:

So you've got 56% for m4a in principle, but 58-60% against implementing it. The good news is that's not a HUGE gap, but it does seem to indicate that campaigning on "americans want m4a" is a plan with some holes in it. And hey, the republicans did great running on repealing obamacare while ignoring the details - it's just the election after that where things got messy.

That poll was run by Kaiser. So, basically, I don't buy it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

mycomancy posted:

I absolutely buy that 60% of people don't support "a threat to the current Medicare program". That's loaded phrasing.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Do classic toy trains count? Because I'm expecting a lot of those.
If you had to sell your dad's 11 million dollar toy train collection because of the estate tax, you could ride the wingnut circuit for the rest of your life. That's the kind of scenarios that keep boomers up at night. I have no idea how that would happen, but I'm sure it's just like the mythical family farm that was ripped apart when they couldn't part with any of their 11 million dollar estate.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

mycomancy posted:

It's the Kaiser Family Foundation, which is wholly separate from Kaiser Permanente. They're generally considered a really, really good, neutral source on healthcare policy research. To the degree that they have a bias, it's very lightly leftward.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Selling people on better healthcare shouldn't be all that hard. That's the politician's job.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Lambert posted:

Selling people on better healthcare shouldn't be all that hard. That's the politician's job.

Americans are steeped in 70 years of red scare horseshit.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

awesmoe posted:

I mean, there are people paying literally thousands in premiums while still having huge deductibles right now. If you tell them that it isn't a tax, it's an insurance premium, and it'll be a fraction of their current premium, and there's no deductible when you need health care, I think it may poll OK.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

quote:

This month's Kaiser tracking poll found 56 percent of voters backing “Medicare-for-all” — but 60 percent of them opposing “higher taxes”

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

awesmoe posted:

I feel like this is a messaging issue more than anything, like the ACA polling higher than Obamacare.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mycomancy posted:

Can't comment on Kaiser specifically but these findings aren't at all controversial. People like the idea in general but not when they realize it's gonna cost money.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Can't comment on Kaiser specifically but these findings aren't at all controversial. People like the idea in general but not when they realize it's gonna cost money.

Cost money being "pay less in additional taxes than you currently pay in insurance and medical bills." That's the current battle for the narrative.

vvv my man vvvv

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mobby_6kl posted:

One thing that just happened recently is that In 2018, The Average Family Paid More To Hospitals Than To The Federal Government In Taxes.

I think there's room to shift the debate here even given current polling. "Yes your taxes will go up, but your health care will be free. On balance, you'll save money."

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One thing that just happened recently is that In 2018, The Average Family Paid More To Hospitals Than To The Federal Government In Taxes.

I think there's room to shift the debate here even given current polling. "Yes your taxes will go up, but your health care will be free. On balance, you'll save money."

It's tax season. Start reminding people that their W-2s show exactly how expensive their health insurance is. Mine was over $14,000 this year.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1090292372846665728

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

More or less the right way, but there's got to be better phrasing than agreeing that your taxes go up. Because people hate that information no matter what the reason. Your taxes go up, but you'll become an immortal god; 52% of respondents are opposed.

Probably going to have to fight the messaging war on obfuscating and insisting that you're lowering their costs and doing everything possible to divorce taxes from the conversation entirely. Present it as today you pay X(average medical expenses + average medical related taxes per taxpayer) while with whichever universal healthcare system we magically are close to imposing you'll only pay Y.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think a lot of the resistance to it is that a lot of people don't see a doctor at all unless they have to whether they're insured or not. So idea that it's a forced expense for a thing they don't use is what's so hard to get past. Even a $1,000 a year in increased taxes comes out to $83.33 a month, which is still a shitload better than $530 (The cost of the bronze level provided by BCBS in Wyoming, where I live) a month for baseline insurance and you can never be denied coverage or meeting a deductible.

badguyfromthegame
Jan 23, 2014

The saddest part of this is that they get to ride the coattails of notoriety, feels like people don't give a gently caress about being decent because who cares if you're hated you'll still have fans.

badguyfromthegame fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

I hate to be that guy but I can't help it

My first thought is that this feels like that McCain campaign worker who pretended to be assaulted by a black Obama supporter, but the "B" on her face was backwards and she made it all up. Or when Morton Downey Jr. claimed that he was attacked in a bathroom at an airport by nazis but the swastika on his face was backwards. Or when Ryan Lochte claimed he was robbed at the Rio Olympics.

So it's 2 am, its well below freezing in Chicago, and two bad guys who just happen to be out wandering around wearing ski masks looking for a black or gay man to harass while carrying... bleach? Of course, it is possible, but I've become completely cynical about these things.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)