Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

yergacheffe posted:

Just got my rift today and was looking at picking up GORN. Are the physics in the itch.io prototype representative of the steam version? I'm finding myself having to swing extremely hard in order to do any kind of damage and I'm afraid I'm going to GORN the poo poo out of my monitor or cat.

Use strict chaperone, close the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I’m looking to play with I-have-too-much-money tech to celebrate (probably) getting a rare and significant bonus.

I’m a dev, so probably not just for games.

For a start, I’m looking at a Perception Neuron (...Pro?). Maybe a hi5 glove (how well do they work together, if anyone knows)?

Any suggestions? I prefer to stick with Rift over Vive.

Personal opinion, sit on it/invest in an index fund. Barring that get a Vive Pro/High refresh monitor/top end GPU. There isn't anything hugely compelling right now, MS might announce Hololens 2 in a few days and GDC is just around the corner.

If you really want something stupid to develop with get a Vive Focus and 6 dof controllers and start pretending to develop for the Quest. A 160 Gsync 1440p monitor + 2080/TI would be my choice though. That's something that will be good for years and years.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 27, 2019

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I appreciate the suggestions.

I've got my safety net and investments under control, and have a 1080Ti and good monitor. Don't need to pretend to develop for Quest, either.

Looking for some stuff somewhat off the beaten path, with a (very) slight preference for content creation. Maybe I'll check out software, instead...

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Looking for some stuff somewhat off the beaten path
http://www.neurable.com/
https://imotions.com/vr/

Make a mod for skyrim where you literally meditate to recover mana.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
I finally figured out a problem I'm having with my Vive, but I don't know how to solve it.

Basically, I have two conflicting properties. One, my head is massive. Last time I needed a bike helmet there was a single one in the entire store large enough to fit. Two, my pupillary distance is relatively small, at 62mm. So I have the head of a massive dude and the eyes of a small lady.

When I initially got the Vive I thought that blurriness outside the center of the lenses was just an issue with VR in general, but I noticed that the closer I can get the lenses to my eyes the better the blurriness at the edges got. Problem is the only way I can get the lenses close enough with my fat head is to remove all the padding, which is uncomfortable as hell.

Any ideas on what I can do about this?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

(For the Rift in particular)

I've finally got a sweet 360 degree room scale setup going. The next stage is to run the headset cables along the ceiling and suspend it from above.

Has anyone done this? Recommendations on extender cables and a retracting reel thing-a-ma-jig to hang the headset from?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Arrath posted:

(For the Rift in particular)

I've finally got a sweet 360 degree room scale setup going. The next stage is to run the headset cables along the ceiling and suspend it from above.

Has anyone done this? Recommendations on extender cables and a retracting reel thing-a-ma-jig to hang the headset from?

Cable matters HDMI extension, amazon basics usb 3 extension. Both 10ft. And 3-6 ceiling hooks and a matching number of badge reels from Office Depot.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

GutBomb posted:

Cable matters HDMI extension, amazon basics usb 3 extension. Both 10ft. And 3-6 ceiling hooks and a matching number of badge reels from Office Depot.

Sweet, thanks.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Beatsaber update to my tracking issues:
I ordered two usb 3 active extension cables and that has solved 90% of my issues. I still have the issue every once in a while where my saber will just not hit a cube I swung through. I'm to sure if I jostled the controller too much and it has to gain its bearings again or if it just cuts out. Still, I upped my new record with KDA Pop Star with the new and improved tracking.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BadMedic posted:

I finally figured out a problem I'm having with my Vive, but I don't know how to solve it.

Basically, I have two conflicting properties. One, my head is massive. Last time I needed a bike helmet there was a single one in the entire store large enough to fit. Two, my pupillary distance is relatively small, at 62mm. So I have the head of a massive dude and the eyes of a small lady.

When I initially got the Vive I thought that blurriness outside the center of the lenses was just an issue with VR in general, but I noticed that the closer I can get the lenses to my eyes the better the blurriness at the edges got. Problem is the only way I can get the lenses close enough with my fat head is to remove all the padding, which is uncomfortable as hell.

Any ideas on what I can do about this?

It's an easy solution actually; Get the thin leather VRCover. Specifically you want the 6mm Vive Foam Replacement

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

jubjub64 posted:

Beatsaber update to my tracking issues:
I ordered two usb 3 active extension cables and that has solved 90% of my issues. I still have the issue every once in a while where my saber will just not hit a cube I swung through. I'm to sure if I jostled the controller too much and it has to gain its bearings again or if it just cuts out. Still, I upped my new record with KDA Pop Star with the new and improved tracking.

Turn off asw. Game engine don’t like asw. Basically it’s framerate related with phantoms.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
What is "asw" in this context?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Asynchronous spacewarp.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's an easy solution actually; Get the thin leather VRCover. Specifically you want the 6mm Vive Foam Replacement

Thanks, I'll try that out.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
VR is dogshit

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A good dog.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Asynchronous spacewarp.

Is there a way to control that in the oculus app or do you have to do it through tray tool?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've been eyeing this. Anyone have any thoughts on if this would be a good buy for someone who wants a Rift?

https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC...t%2Bbundle&th=1

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I've been eyeing this. Anyone have any thoughts on if this would be a good buy for someone who wants a Rift?

It should run all VR games, though a very few (Payday 2 VR, some simulators) will lag and not really be playable. Graphics will be turned down on more, but the gameplay will be the same. It's perfectly fine for a Rift and seems a good buy if you can't justify twice the price for newer parts.

Edit:an SSD would be a high priority upgrade if possible.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah that should meet VR requirements on the cheap. The GPU is really carrying that setup though.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

veni veni veni posted:

I don't like prebuilt computers in general and that one is a little overpriced. The PC-building thread generally recommends building your own if you are at all technical in that price range and can help you pick out parts to stay in your budget.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

LLSix posted:

I don't like prebuilt computers in general and that one is a little overpriced. The PC-building thread generally recommends building your own if you are at all technical in that price range and can help you pick out parts to stay in your budget.

I recommend this. I built a PC last summer and having the flexibility to have it be exactly what I wanted it to be is just worth the hassle of putting it together (which isn't hard at all since most of it kinda falls/snaps in place and is super easily labeled)

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
New trip report for performance problems in Beat Saber. So I went into the settings and turned off ASW as well as monitored performance. There seemed to be a small difference in performance (positive difference) but maybe I was just hoping it was there. Then I decided to max my core voltage, power limit and temp limit while keeping my fan at 100% ( https://forums.evga.com/Guide-How-to-force-max-voltage-amp-curve-overclock-with-msi-afterburner-m2820280.aspx )
That helped a little more (I think) then I read that Oculus performance monitor was useless if running a steam vr game.

Then I decided to just buy Beat Saber on Oculus store....that fixed all my problems....

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I have what is pretty near (my processor is a little slower but overclocked and my GPU is the 8GB version)what this is and I run every game I've bought just fine. You may not be able to crank supersampling or go to ultra graphics on literally like 2 games but it works amazing on everything else.

LLSix posted:

This is my recommendation, with youtube videos and parts fitting like lego 9 times out of 10 it's really a simple process for anyone who can follow directions and you will save yourself a couple hundred dollars in mark up that you can use to upgrade parts or use for some games. That being said If you feel lazy or worried about loving it up just buy the prebuilt. SSD should be your first upgrade though as someone else said.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

veni veni veni posted:

Do not buy that considering that build is pretty much VR obsolete out of the box.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NFRKD2
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z370-A-PRO#support-cpu

This will last you quite a while and isn't that much more expensive when you look at the price/performance. I really don't know how people can game on anything but an SSD. There's a lot of overclocking headroom on the 9600k with that cooler. Also B&H does not charge me sales tax so if it's the same for your region that's a huge advantage.

The only alternative I might suggest is go with a used 8 GB 1070ti instead of the 2060 which only has 6 GB of RAM and games are certainly ramping up the amount of stuff they're storing in video memory. Texture detail is an immediately recognizable graphics improvement in VR especially.

Fenom posted:

I have what is pretty near (my processor is a little slower but overclocked and my GPU is the 8GB version)what this is and I run every game I've bought just fine. You may not be able to crank supersampling or go to ultra graphics on literally like 2 games but it works amazing on everything else.

You must not have bought Skyrim VR or Fallout 4 VR. Also just fine to most gamers I've spoken with is a pretty consistent 60 FPS on medium->high settings.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 31, 2019

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Stick100 posted:

Make sure to refocus the game window after messing with anything, some engines (Unreal) run much better when they have Windows focus.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I did that with Elite out of necessity, as it stops taking joystick input if it loses focus

Other than OVRDrop, ED:Runner is a must-have for playing Elite in VR. It forces Elite to be in-focus when it detects joystick movement.

You can find it here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/291322-ED-Runner-A-help-program-for-VR-headsets-with-joysticks-HOTAS

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
My daughter has an i5 3570 with 8gb of DDR3 and a 1050ti and it plays everything fine outside of fallout 4 vr which is an edge case that even brings my 2700x/1080ti to its knees in parts. Most VR games aren’t as demanding as you are making them sound. She regularly plays Gorn, lone echo, super hot, climbey, quivr, Rec room, blade & sorcery, stand out, stupid steam vr home escape rooms, I expect you to die, and dirt rally. Everything is playable and smooth on her WMR headset, some of them using revive. Yeah there’s no supersampling going on but it still looks and plays fine.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, you really don't need *that* powerful a machine, I ran a gtx 780 4gb and a 2600k for years and while most settings were average to low I didn't get major frame rate drops in anything except for stuff like subnautica and the fps smoothing the rift has covered well.

I've since upgraded and yeah my experience has improved with a newer machine but I wouldn't say it was exactly bad before.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Any one able to help me out as to why extension cables on the Rift headset seem to cause problems? I've used different kinds that were all recommended by either here and/or reddit and I keep getting a black screen like the signal is dropped temporarily. I have a 1080ti if that's relevant.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bhodi posted:

Yeah, you really don't need *that* powerful a machine, I ran a gtx 780 4gb and a 2600k for years and while most settings were average to low I didn't get major frame rate drops in anything except for stuff like subnautica and the fps smoothing the rift has covered well.

I've since upgraded and yeah my experience has improved with a newer machine but I wouldn't say it was exactly bad before.

While you generally won't see much of a difference in visual fidelity, having a better PC (well at least the best you can manage on your personal budget) is important for delivering a smoother experience. Which is pretty important when even incidental frame drops are a much bigger concern than in a pancake game.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

GutBomb posted:

My daughter has an i5 3570 with 8gb of DDR3 and a 1050ti and it plays everything fine outside of fallout 4 vr which is an edge case that even brings my 2700x/1080ti to its knees in parts. Most VR games aren’t as demanding as you are making them sound. She regularly plays Gorn, lone echo, super hot, climbey, quivr, Rec room, blade & sorcery, stand out, stupid steam vr home escape rooms, I expect you to die, and dirt rally. Everything is playable and smooth on her WMR headset, some of them using revive. Yeah there’s no supersampling going on but it still looks and plays fine.

FO4 brings everything to its knees and supposedly it's mostly based on Ram speed not cpu or gpu. I got a significant improvement by increasing my ram speed slightly.

FO4VR is just kinda nuts to get running without repro, but if you can deal with repro it's not that bad to get running, also performance mods make a BIG difference.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
God drat do I want those knuckles controllers!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Skyarb posted:

God drat do I want those knuckles controllers!

Anything better than wands. I’d drop 300 right now for good controllers. I just wanna play things other than drat beat saber with my pro. :(

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
You want to play things other than Beat Saber? Weird.

I've been playing Beat Saber and H3VR and they're both great and fun games, and yeah I should play something else but do I really want to? I could just be slashing boxes or shooting sausages.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008

Parallelwoody posted:

Any one able to help me out as to why extension cables on the Rift headset seem to cause problems? I've used different kinds that were all recommended by either here and/or reddit and I keep getting a black screen like the signal is dropped temporarily. I have a 1080ti if that's relevant.

Did you add a hdmi repeater between your rift cable and the hdmi extension?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My youngest bro is having his "dad's baby shower" this weekend, and the venue has a large room where I will be setting up a dedicated Gorn / Beat Saber VR station. I am pretty dang stoked for this. Gorn + 30 drunk dudes, what could possibly go wrong?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Set up a controller fund jar on the edge of the area.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

jubjub64 posted:

Then I decided to just buy Beat Saber on Oculus store....that fixed all my problems....

Were you not running the Oculus SDK version of Beat Saber from steam?

I definitely go out of my way to make sure that SteamVR Home is not running what so ever any chance I can.
Any Oculus native games that I've bought on steam I have shortcutted specifically so that I can boot them from within Oculus Dash and not have Steam VR open.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hellsau posted:

You want to play things other than Beat Saber? Weird.

I've been playing Beat Saber and H3VR and they're both great and fun games, and yeah I should play something else but do I really want to? I could just be slashing boxes or shooting sausages.

30-40+ hours of saber a week. Yeah. I kinda need other stuff to play when I’m not working. Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do you stream for a living or what