Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

When bombs rained down on London during the Blitz, they fell on houses, on churches, and, less famously, on embankments along the River Thames. The damaged embankments could have sent devastating floods through London, but they didn't—thanks to a group of engineers who worked secretly and at night.

quote:

Each time the river defenses were hit, Frank's teams were sent in, often while bombs were still falling and with little protective equipment.

"They were working in their own clothes ... in black toxic gunge," Milne said. "They didn't even have overalls provided, much less Wellington boots."

https://gizmodo.com/how-a-secret-squad-saved-london-from-devastating-floodi-1654112217

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/765661923/Honor-for-hero-who-saved-London-from-WWII-flooding.html

https://www.culture24.org.uk/histor...n-from-drowning

The Nazis deliberately timed bombing raids to arrive at low tide. The intention was to make it harder to fight fires, and it did, but the silver lining is that it gave time to fix dykes along the Thames.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

The connectors were altogether of a different shape as far as I know, if not a different type (locking mechanism).

Colour-coding is nice but physical incompatibility is safe.

Acetylene welding lines are supposed to have their threading reversed to make them impossible to screw into the wrong line. The nuts are marked with cuts to show which are acetylene lines.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Wasabi the J posted:

Man I really hope we never fight another way like this.

As opposed to drone bombing weddings and killing hundreds of civilians like the US does right now?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Megillah Gorilla posted:

As opposed to drone bombing weddings and killing hundreds of civilians like the US does right now?

Nah, they mean "against another first world nation."

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I knew it was going to get Super loving Cold™ here in Corn Hell, Ohio, but I didn't realize that my pipes would freeze even after we ran water through them all night. Christ.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

spiny posted:

Immeadiatly reminded of this Rodney Matthews piece:

edit, moved to imgur

I really want to see the cows that cowcatcher is supposed to catch.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'd rather hundreds of civilians die than hundreds of thousands if not millions, if that is the question. Not that I am favor of the former either.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dienes posted:

I really want to see the cows that cowcatcher is supposed to catch.

i was gonna say those are some tiny rear end drivers on that train but when you said this i noticed the person for scale

loving the attention to detail, wonder if I can get a higher resolution of that

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

goering posted:

In 1940 I could at least fly as far as Glasgow in most of my aircraft, but not now! It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy. The British, who can afford aluminium better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again. What do you make of that? There is nothing the British do not have. They have the geniuses and we have the nincompoops. After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set - then at least I'll own something that has always worked.

Reliable British...electronics?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

tactlessbastard posted:

Sinclair, Amstrad, Cambridge Audio, Arcam... uhh I guess that's it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jerry Cotton posted:

you forgot the Greener Grass co. :v:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Truga posted:

you forgot the Greener Grass co. :v:

Yeah and Matsui only I don't think they ever manufactured in GB. (Possibly neither did Amstrad.)

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Mozi posted:

I'd rather hundreds of civilians die than hundreds of thousands if not millions, if that is the question. Not that I am favor of the former either.

i mean, how many civilians do you think died in iraq and afghanistan and syria and yemen and

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Jerry Cotton posted:

Tektronics

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I was thinking Lucas

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

sandoz posted:

i mean, how many civilians do you think died in iraq and afghanistan and syria and yemen and

too many?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tactlessbastard posted:

It’s not a real Göring quote.

That’s an American company, though?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

they used to make IBM PCs and peripherals in Scotland if that counts, it's probably the closest thing to a British computer you'd encounter in 80s US, and only if you were rich/dorky enough to not just get a PC clone (or an NES, if you just wanted a game system)

I remember wanting a ZX Spectrum back in the day, having read about it in anglosphere magazines what had the price listed in USD/CND/GBP, when our home computer was a Commodore VIC-20, but the 286 my dad bought used in '88 was vastly cheaper and you could play Gold Box AD&D games on it (very very slowly)

OSHA relevance: when my dad got that Epson Equity II PC clone, my mom had an extremely cool midcentury stainless steel desk that became the computer desk, right up until the day that the CGA CRT loudly fried itself. Happened while mom was in the middle of making a banner in PrintShop- she was fine but honestly thought she was gonna die for a minute there

really the fact that the desk always gave a nasty static shock when you sat down at it should have been a clue but in my parents defense, it was an extremely cool desk and the first time either of them had a dedicated CRT just for computer

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Note to self: get a cool steel desk, and ground it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

There's also ARM these days, they are very British.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

sandoz posted:

Most of the civilian deaths in e.g. Afghanistan have been caused by AQ/Daesh and Taliban bomb and complex attacks and ground fighting between factions. In the first nine months of 2018 UN reported 2798 civilians to have died, of which 313 were caused by air attacks. That's bad already, but WW2 (and Korea, Vietnam...) air bombing was way less accurate and bombers would hit wrong cities or even wrong countries because they were simply lost.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
war is not osha

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

iospace posted:

The train ones are automatic! The crews themselves don't do it, the switches have built in heaters. It's also common in the mountains and areas where heavy snow is a problem

Fun fact from my place of employment, power companies HATE switch heaters.

First, they can't use the automated smart meters because a lot of times there's no phone lines or cell service out there. So they have to send some meter reader up the side of a mountain to get a reading. Most of them get a bill in the spring when they thaw and MAYBE one other read in late summer.

If the one dude who knows where they all are quits it might go years before it gets read.

If they can hook it up for automatic reads it's almost worse because if something goes wrong they have no clue where it physically is because the last guy who was up there working on it is retired or dead or both.

For added fun, it's rarely big companies that provide service to the unpopulated side of a mountain, it's little regional electric coops or county owned or stuff like that. So when a heater dies in October it's a poo poo ton of work for everyone.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

interwhat posted:

I mean it turned red hot like in that video. I didn't stand by to watch because I was busy banging walls, but it's definitely ash in the fire pit now.

I'm a mechanic so I'll likely die from some sort of ailment related to either semi constant exposure to carbon monoxide, or exposure to acetone and heptane(parts cleaner or brake clean). On the drums of heptane and acetone it states heptane is a substance that likely causes cancer. So, that's cool. I take precautions I can, including using a large fan when using brake ckean, even when its zero degrees F out.

I'm gonna google it, but when can I expect my physical effects of asbestos exposure to kick in? The bathroom teardown was early December. I've got all the cement board up now, which in itself is causing me cancer(according to nearly everything purchased at home Depot, via the state of California).

Christ when you think about it, especially given my family history, I'm definitely gonna get the cancers.

Well, as a mechanic you're in one of the professions that's still regularly exposed to asbestos anyway. It's in brakes, clutches, and heat seals, and regular wear and use will create asbestos dust, so replacing old ones or working around old ones is going to definitely expose you.

Here's a link with a lot of additional information, including particular techniques that are more or less dangerous so you can see whether your particular workplace is using best practices: https://www.asbestos.com/occupations/auto-mechanics/

Summary about "auto mechanic:"

quote:

Previously Exposed: Yes
Still Being Exposed: Yes
Asbestos-Related Disease Risk: Moderate

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nckdictator posted:

Sorry for popping in with nothing to contribute but can anyone recommend any decent books on ship wrecks, sinkings, or maritime disasters?

This was a few days ago, but I've been greatly enjoying Marine Salvage: The Unforgiving Business of No Cure, No Pay by Joseph N. Gores. It's ostensibly a history of the marine salvage industry and the technology used, but in large part it's an excuse to tell stories about a wide variety of shipwrecks and the often ill-fated attempts to salvage them, complete with thread-appropriate total lack of attention to basic safety concerns.

Unfortunately it's only available in hardcopy; the only extant digital version is the one scanned by Google Books (:rip:).

I should write up some of the stories for the thread, I've been reading it on and off and I'm about halfway through.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 30, 2019

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

sneakyfrog posted:

war is not osha

From another view it is possibly the most OSHA thing that could ever exist. But yes, probably better to keep this thread away from that.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Truga posted:

i was gonna say those are some tiny rear end drivers on that train but when you said this i noticed the person for scale

loving the attention to detail, wonder if I can get a higher resolution of that

It's called 'heavy metal hero' (or something like that) by Rodney Matthews if you want to search. You'll probably recognise a lot of his other work, he's done tons of album covers and quite a lot of game box artwork (edit: not the Psygnosis logo, that was Roger Dean I think)

spiny fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 30, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

spiny posted:

It's called 'heavy metal hero' (or something like that) by Rodney Matthews if you want to search. You'll probably recognise a lot of his other work, he's done tons of album covers and quite a lot of game box artwork (edit: not the Psygnosis logo, that was Roger Dean I think)

Yeah I googled it and found out he sells a .8x1.1m wall picture of this for 200gbp and I want one now lmao

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

It’s not a real Göring quote.

Boy is my face red!

ToxicFrog posted:

This was a few days ago, but I've been greatly enjoying Marine Salvage: The Unforgiving Business of No Cure, No Pay by Joseph N. Gores. It's ostensibly a history of the marine salvage industry and the technology used, but in large part it's an excuse to tell stories about a wide variety of shipwrecks and the often ill-fated attempts to salvage them, complete with thread-appropriate total lack of attention to basic safety concerns.

Unfortunately it's only available in hardcopy; the only extant digital version is the one scanned by Google Books (:rip:).

I should write up some of the stories for the thread, I've been reading it on and off and I'm about halfway through.

here i go off to the ILL page!

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
seen on job site today:

probably not going anywhere but lol

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1090402748808421376

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Speaking of trains...

"Chicago train tracks have to be literally set on fire to keep the trains running amid record-breaking cold

https://theweek.com/speedreads/820665/chicago-train-tracks-have-literally-set-fire-keep-trains-running-amid-recordbreaking-cold

E: gently caress. literally 2 minutes ahead of me.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

tactlessbastard posted:

Boy is my face red!

Just like Goering after walking up a slight incline!

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
As a Chicago commuter, seeing the switches on fire on cold/snowy days is just SOP (and metal as all hell :rock:).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPBX0bcCrO4&t=195s

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

E: gently caress. literally 2 minutes ahead of me.

you might want to check the previous page, too :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This happened near me. The tiles are not rated for vehicles and are part of a future water-feature and were well blocked off but someone decided to remove all the barriers so their friend could park his van to unload here...

It's still an active construction site so they used the site crane to get it out.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Platystemon posted:

That’s an American company, though?

They made a bunch of stuff in Britain, they had a factory up the road from me including R&D and production.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
I feel like there's a little extra altitude on that van "just because."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Baronjutter posted:

It's still an active construction site so they used the site crane to get it out.

And then I assume it "accidentally" slipped out of the harness before they got it back to ground level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

take it all the way up and drop it as a lesson to bad parkers everywhere