Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The new episode needs to come out now! I need to hear how Dolan nearly died this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

What if all these illnesses and problems are due to constant assassination attempts but John just keeps not dying, like an extremely unhealthy Fidel Castro

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

A Russian troll farm posted:

What if all these illnesses and problems are due to constant assassination attempts but John just keeps not dying, like an extremely unhealthy Fidel Castro

Maybe the gods are angry about his Illiad adaptation making them look bad.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

dolan’s focus on ancient greece fits because he really is like some kind of mythological cursed figure

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Dilkington posted:

See, I know this is satire: you had A Modest Proposal or The Great Dictator available to you but you went with The Onion reference, and that is exactly the kind of character you'd expect a War Nerd listener to be.

Ah yes referencing Jonathan Swift, truly a sign of literary erudition and definitely not one of the stalest cliches in the English language.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
R E G I M E C H A N G E

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Helsing posted:

Ah yes referencing Jonathan Swift, truly a sign of literary erudition and definitely not one of the stalest cliches in the English language.

imagine referencing The Great Dictator by Charlie Chaplin and not The Dictator by Sacha Baron Cohen.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
TV EXEC: It's Swift as Jackass.
NATHAN BARLEY: Yeah, but faster.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

One series of John's Medical Memoirs please.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Thank God it’s been too long since they had someone with a hard to understand accent on.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I assume John Dolan is some kind of Mister McGoo character where he stumbles around contracting illnesses, not dying and wherever he shows up just descends into chaos around him.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

for the last time John Dolan is just a fictional jinx victim that Gary Brecher occasionally writes as

get it right, people

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dreylad posted:

I assume John Dolan is some kind of Mister McGoo character where he stumbles around contracting illnesses, not dying and wherever he shows up just descends into chaos around him.
Dolan accidentally turning an entire Albanian(?) village against him because of a credit card error was a classic.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

The Crotch posted:

Dolan accidentally turning an entire Albanian(?) village against him because of a credit card error was a classic.

Wait, what?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

The Crotch posted:

Was he forced to hide in a bunker overnight for the mob to dissipate?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Supporting Maduro seems to be the point of many people including the point of he guy you linked. Much of the discourse is totally aimed at delegitimizing and smearing any opposition to the current regime. Guaido is not a Manchurian candidate carefully inserted into the Venezuelan legislature by the US years ago. He is the legitimate leading representative of the last legislative body to be, relatively, freely elected (Maduro tried to rig the election but seriously underestimated the amount of rigging necessary).

The success of the opposition in that election is what led to the final breakdown of the constitutional order in Venezuela. Maduro never recognized his loss in that election and has since neutered the body by packing the supreme court before the new representatives were sworn in and then setting up a parallel legislative assembly, a single party body with candidate lists for the election controlled by the PSUV.

If he is not a legitimate channel for opposition to the regime then who is? All that is left is a military putsch, which would not lead to any significant change in the country since the top military officials are all happily part of the regime and the looting or a civil war and guerilla campaign which is likely to last decades going by any of the other examples in the region.

All that aside, cheerleading of Abrams and Bolton in the media should be called out as well as any whitewashing or their or the US' action in South America. We all need to keep a close eye on statements from the White House and protest any hare brained schemes and interventions coming from the President or any of his bugfuck crazy advisors.

[edit] Looking at what the Twitter guy has pinned there is indeed a non-zero chance you think Guiado is a deep cover US Manchurian candidate.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Phone posted:

Supporting Maduro seems to be the point of many people including the point of he guy you linked. Much of the discourse is totally aimed at delegitimizing and smearing any opposition to the current regime. Guaido is not a Manchurian candidate carefully inserted into the Venezuelan legislature by the US years ago. He is the legitimate leading representative of the last legislative body to be, relatively, freely elected (Maduro tried to rig the election but seriously underestimated the amount of rigging necessary).

The success of the opposition in that election is what led to the final breakdown of the constitutional order in Venezuela. Maduro never recognized his loss in that election and has since neutered the body by packing the supreme court before the new representatives were sworn in and then setting up a parallel legislative assembly, a single party body with candidate lists for the election controlled by the PSUV.

If he is not a legitimate channel for opposition to the regime then who is? All that is left is a military putsch, which would not lead to any significant change in the country since the top military officials are all happily part of the regime and the looting or a civil war and guerilla campaign which is likely to last decades going by any of the other examples in the region.

All that aside, cheerleading of Abrams and Bolton in the media should be called out as well as any whitewashing or their or the US' action in South America. We all need to keep a close eye on statements from the White House and protest any hare brained schemes and interventions coming from the President or any of his bugfuck crazy advisors.

[edit] Looking at what the Twitter guy has pinned there is indeed a non-zero chance you think Guiado is a deep cover US Manchurian candidate.

Ignacio Portes has so far been the most critical guy of Maduro on any left wing podcast I've heard yet, lmao.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

He thought he paid for the place he stayed at but there was some weird credit card thing, and the lady who's place they were at followed him around trying to get her money even though they couldn't understand each other.

At least that's what I remember without going back to listen to it.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

The Crotch posted:

lol that literally happened

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Phone posted:

Munin posted:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

The Crotch posted:

I like his penchant for getting trapped in restrooms in far flung places around the world.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Interview was good and insightful.

The Aardvark posted:

He thought he paid for the place he stayed at but there was some weird credit card thing, and the lady who's place they were at followed him around trying to get her money even though they couldn't understand each other.

At least that's what I remember without going back to listen to it.

I think the old woman got in the taxi with him and refused to leave until he went back to her house. Then he noticed the bill wasn't paid but it was much too late to go to a bank (maybe even the weekend). All without any means of communication.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

:thejoke:

his follow up in the thread is a real head scratcher, tho

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

We really do need to compile these into a list.

Dolan locks himself in an Italian bathroom.

College aged Dolan fails to run a speed lab.

Dolan turns an Albanian village against him and his wife.

Dolan ends up fired from an American run university in Iraq when neocons realize who he is.

Dolan ends up run out of East Timor when he accidentally insults the genocide collaborators employing him.

Young John Dolan takes a job at glass factory, repeatedly dropping glass panes on himself leading to blood and job loss.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Dolan gets fired from Kuwaiti teaching job on the first day.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Dolan gets fired from Kuwaiti teaching job on the first day.

I think when he was fired in Kuwait he was confronted by a dwarf army officer. Or maybe that was a different muslim country.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
RIP Dolan, slain by a warhammer.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1092233763222929412?s=19

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
mark ames is trying to set the world record for most Beefs in one lifetime.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not if Dan O'Sullivan has anything to say about it.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005
In case anyone didn't notice, Carl Zha made public all the Clash episodes since he's starting a new podcast. I highly recommend the two interviews they did with Gunnar Hrafn Johnsson. That dude's got some stories, man, I bet he's fun at parties.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://features.propublica.org/navy-accidents/us-navy-crashes-japan-cause-mccain/

this article is a pro click

quote:

Vern Clark, the Navy’s top military officer during much of the Bush era, brought an MBA to the job and pitched his cuts to the force using the jargon of corporate downsizing. Smaller crews were “optimal” crews. Relying on new technologies to do the work sailors once did was described as “capital-for-labor substitutions.”

Promising a “workforce for the 21st century,” Clark’s team tried out new training and staffing ideas, including a decision that officers no longer needed to attend months of classroom training to learn the intricacies of operating billion-dollar warships. Instead, aspiring Surface Warfare Officers, charged with everything from driving ships to launching missiles, could learn mostly at sea with the help of packets of CDs. The program was widely derided by sailors as “SWOS in a Box.”

The efficiencies even included eliminating a requirement for ship captains to post lookouts on both sides of ships, a cut that would later prove crucial when the Fitzgerald’s crew failed to see a fast-closing cargo ship until it was too late.

i love that capitalism is doing to the troops what it did to everyone else

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

mila kunis posted:

https://features.propublica.org/navy-accidents/us-navy-crashes-japan-cause-mccain/

this article is a pro click

i love that capitalism is doing to the troops what it did to everyone else

Sounds about right, but "eh have the troops watch instructional media it'll be fine" isn't entirely new, if you recall McNamara's morons.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I'm glad These Long Wars called them out for being hipsters and not having done an alexander the great episode.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/TheseLongWars/status/1096108276280893441?s=19

The internet is like a small town.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://twitter.com/TheseLongWars/status/1096119963335774208

lol what

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

He's right. The Chapo crew will never have the courage to spy for Iran.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I assume he had some kind of twitter name referencing the spy case, otherwise it makes zero sense

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Yeah I don't get it either. Maybe he's trying to joke? There's nothing to go on for what triggered that post. Maybe he's mad at Felix for saying we should give Iran nukes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think it's a joke, he's probably trying to go on chapo.