Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

EoRaptor posted:

So Wagner groomed her when she was young and now she suffers some sort of Stockholm syndrome variant and stays with him. Perfect for a newspaper cartoon...

Helsinki Syndrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Stock-ham syndrome?

No, that's terrible.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Cheer Up Boss Dharma

I don't think I need to translate that since it's obviously the panel reading order.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Here's the original design:

Surgeon's Tales

It's a bit weird that neither comic nor the book explains why the gate is open (at least for now, I haven't read more than few chapters ahead), but we got a nice battle scene so I won't complain.

Nancy

Dustin

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Generally speaking I think "is what we're seeing a fetish for the author" is not really a useful critical apparatus, because it's hard to build a convincing case for the negative, and my reaction to the positive is generally "so what", but I think there's a quality to Holbrook's stuff that grew out of the more obsessive bits of furry fandom, both sexual and nonsexual- the part that really is concerned about *animal* has *trait* even though you're already anthropomorphizing them. It's not consistent at all but it tries to be, and the trying leads things to get even more gnarled and confused.

You're correct in both things here. It's hard to prove that some of that stuff isn't fetishistic in nature, though I feel like a lot of this stuff occurring with characters regardless of gender and situations handled different with "good guy" characters compared to "bad guy" ones-- and the lack of any frequency puts a lot of it squarely in the Not Intended to be Fetishistic column. And you're not wrong, there is a "so what" response if the pregnancy thing is a fetish which is a totally decent reaction and maybe I am being a bit of a prude. Especially since if you're not following all three of Holbrook's strips it's something you may not even notice and it definitely feels less in-your-face than say Jumbo's fantasies over in Rose is Rose or just Gilchrist drawing Fritzy basically a whole lot of stuff in Nancy.

As for being obsessive about continuity details, I think that's one of the reasons why there's appeal in Kevin & Kell, or superhero comics, or certain long running comics like One Piece or Sluggy Freelance. And hopefully that's a wide enough set of examples that goes to show it's not just something that's exclusive to the furry fandom. The *animal* has *trait* thing you're right though is one of those things that's kind of just there in K&K for when it's appropriate to the joke of the strip or not. As we can see there's not a lot of thought that goes into the world building and I don't think there's a lot of use in trying to make sense of it. Like sure the flies dying on the windshield all being sapient beings is horrifying if you're focusing on the big bunny man just committed vehicular manslaughter and then made an awkward old-man computer joke about it, but it's just be a week joke with cartoon animals and being horrified at the implications to me just reads as an exercise in really weird fanfiction.

And I don't intend that to sound like I dislike when people post about things like why certain things don't really "work" in terms of like, actual diets of the real life animals or how trying to group all animals into predators and prey super doesn't work. But condemning Holbrook for the fanfiction hellscape that seems to horrify some posters feels really disingenuous to me.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 12, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 12, 1997)

Garfield Classic (July 12, 1987)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 12, 1997)

I don't know how old their son's supposed to be exactly, but you really don't. Puberty can make the body produce horrendous smells.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

if intelligent life is so hip and with it he should be able to draw an actual possible way to hold a smart phone

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

snack eater posted:

if intelligent life is so hip and with it he should be able to draw an actual possible way to hold a smart phone

Nothing about Intelligent Life leads me to believe the author is hip and with it.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That Tina’s Groove made my skin crawl.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

I don't think I need to translate that since it's obviously the panel reading order.

Nth-ing the thanks for posting these. I sometimes find the strip's humor a little mean-spirited, but the art is interesting and when it hits, it hits.

Sometime, you should mix up the panels just to mess with us, though.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

I just want to cross post this as relevant to thread interests.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Samovar posted:

Thanks Ghostlight! I wouldn't have found that myself - that's really cool! Also, how the hell did American football become the national pastime? Or baseball? A lot of these sports seems to involve... not much happening?

In the case of football there's actually a lot going on between plays, you just have to really like the sport to find things like formations and pre-snap movement interesting.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Green Intern posted:

That Tina’s Groove made my skin crawl.

He looks a little like the gross dude from that Bizarre from the other day, no?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

howe_sam posted:

In the case of football there's actually a lot going on between plays, you just have to really like the sport to find things like formations and pre-snap movement interesting.

Also, most people experience pro football on TV, where you can fill the time between plays with replay and analysis of what went right or wrong on the last play. Or, of course, commercials.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

davidspackage posted:

It's so jarring how the characters are just railroading Kadia into things, it'll be disappointing if she doesn't at some point go "back the gently caress off" after the trauma settles in, but I think it's just going to continue into a reunion with her mother, and then her being out of the comic. Hope to be surprised.

That would require the Walkers to ever be wrong about something.

The Punisher is more moral and just than the Phantoms can ever claim to be.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Medenmath posted:

Prince Valiant

Val: the sovereign who doesn’t give a poo poo about anything except stabbing and screwing

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set makes a real sacrifice.

Working Daze is just running down the clock on this non-joke.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is prepared for the working world.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This is the strongest evidence to date that Dilbert guy is a stupid rear end in a top hat who merely thinks that he is smart at science and stuff.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

9 Chickweed Lane

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

FrumpleOrz posted:

Hagar The Horrible

A suit and tie. The jacket seems to be missing any sort of collar or lapels which is also odd, but not entirely out of place for this comic.

I guess this isn't too different from Hagar seeing a psychiatrist in an earlier strip. It doesn't do it very often, but when this strip drops it's premise it's always really weird.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Is there a single long-running gag-a-day strip in a historical setting that doesn't end up full of anachronisms?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mmm, I feel like the other big contemporary examples, B.C. and Wizard of Id are just full on anachronisms constantly that it isn't as jarring as Hagar, which isn't exactly the height of historical accuracy, but it at least tends to not have guys in modern suits just show up.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

CommonShore posted:

This is the strongest evidence to date that Dilbert guy is a stupid rear end in a top hat who merely thinks that he is smart at science and stuff.

Ye, just matching humanmade emissions would leave you with ~10-20 Gigatons of wood/cellulose construction material a year, ignoring any energy needed for said process to actually happen.

For reference, the world production of concrete is like 4.5ish gigatons a year.
You could also replace all wood for the use as fuel, paper, construction, etc. With just a small fraction of it.

Running out of CO2 is quite possibly the least realistic of all the issues you'd face in that scenario.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 3, 2019

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Mother Goose & Grimm

He used it to cut down the trees that made Theseus' ship.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Ge

Ga

So pay cash.

Z

R

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Steve Kelley ghostwriting Garfield these days I see

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (August 29, 1935)

:lol: That's hilarious!

F Minus

Macanudo

Mark Trail

I would think creatures that are their prey would get bit more than humans.

Mary Worth

davidspackage posted:

It's so jarring how the characters are just railroading Kadia into things, it'll be disappointing if she doesn't at some point go "back the gently caress off" after the trauma settles in, but I think it's just going to continue into a reunion with her mother, and then her being out of the comic. Hope to be surprised.
I'm pretty OK with what they are getting her to do and the pace they are doing it. They are acting in her best interest and she is currently in immediate danger of being unjustly arrested, and has apparently no one else to turn to.

I do agree that all this should catch up to her though, emotionally, and she will probably resent these people, for a while at least.

We'll see what happens Monday, but for today there's Sunday The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon February 1962

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Having read the entirety of the last thread and started keeping up with this one, I've been inspired to contribute something of my own...

I went online and tracked down one of the earliest comic book collections I could remember growing up. With no regrets, here is One Step Closer To Home:

The back of the collection posted:

Warning! The surgeon general has determined that the contents of this book may cause hysterical laughter and uncontrollable snorting. Persons with a low tolerance for laughter should consult a a health care professional before opening this book.

If your home is like Close to Home, you're in big trouble! The peculiar characters that populate the cartoons of John McPherson go way over the edge, transporting readers to a world that's both hilarious and harrowing.

I remember really enjoying these as a kid, so I'm going to read it as I post it and see if the magic still holds from when I was 8. I'm going to try posting a few pages at a time over my lunch breaks at work, I work shift so you won't be subjected to this every day! I'll have to work on a better way of capturing the panels, but the way this book puts them together is either a single Sunday or two dailies per page. Hopefully they don't come out too blurry. I know there's mixed feelings about this comic in the thread from when it was posted before, but the "on the verge of a panic attack" look the characters have when they are excited and the dumpy drawings of people add to the charm for me!

Some to start:

What do you guys think, should I start posting all 128 pages?

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 3, 2019

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

:justpost:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
In case you ever, ever want to give Dustin man the benefit of the doubt or any credit for anything ever
https://twitter.com/CPotterPgh/status/1092098764062576640

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Calaveron posted:

In case you ever, ever want to give Dustin man the benefit of the doubt or any credit for anything ever
https://twitter.com/CPotterPgh/status/1092098764062576640

*begins to scream, doesn't stop*

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

SubNat posted:

Running out of CO2 is quite possibly the least realistic of all the issues you'd face in that scenario.
I believe the joke is that the boss will only greenlight it if he thinks it will destroy the planet.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

StrixNebulosa posted:

*begins to scream, doesn't stop*

I got ya, fam.

https://twitter.com/infinite_scream

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth: Meanwhile, back at the ruins of the patio...

Peanuts (February 6, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Life (With Skippy)

(April 19, 1923, not approved by the ASPCA)

(proto-Skippy from March 16, 1923)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luxrage posted:

Close to Home

What do you guys think, should I start posting all 128 pages?

Don't ask permission. If you do, at least half of the cranks in this thread will tell you no. Including me because I find the art in this thing horrifying, especially in light of what it looks like today:

The comic doesn't break any rules, so :justpost: and all us jerks can just bitch about it until we die.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

I'll start doing two or three pages per post if I can find a good way to get clean pics of the pages. I'm doing this on lunch break at my job so I am trying to make the best with what I have available. I could use our office supplies and straight up take the paper cutter guillotine to the book to get the pages all separated which would both get cleaner pictures and give the thread the benefit of some Closer to Home media being destroyed. I'll see what I can do!

The initial post was more of a warning that I'll be bringing some quality early Closer to Home to the thread, I was pretty much expecting the reaction to be:

Although this is more like whenever 9CL is brought up!

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 3, 2019

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set spreads the blame around.

Working Daze is word salad.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix messes up the punchline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Luxrage posted:

I'll start doing two or three pages per post if I can find a good way to get clean pics of the pages. I'm doing this on lunch break at my job so I am trying to make the best with what I have available. I could use our office supplies and straight up take the paper cutter guillotine to the book to get the pages all separated which would both get cleaner pictures and give the thread the benefit of some Closer to Home media being destroyed. I'll see what I can do!

The initial post was more of a warning that I'll be bringing some quality early Closer to Home to the thread, I was pretty much expecting the reaction to be:

Although this is more like whenever 9CL is brought up!

You definitely should just post because yeah, that's how this thread should work, but I honestly might have to put you on my ignore list because the art in Close to Home triggers a horrible visceral gut reaction in me. I feel physically ill looking at it. Everything about it is like the visual equivalent of nails on chalkboard for me.

So, yeah, definitely make us suffer in a hell of our own creation. Everyone else does!

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Jamal