Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
dragon age origins could have been a lot of things but instead it was just a zombie apocalypse with peasants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Also for a game called Dragon Age the dragons sucked poo poo

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GACn0HDTekA

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i had to click to do combat in DA:O and that's where i stopped playing, so that was about 5 minutes in

its 2019, point and click should be for city builders and adventure games only

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

i had to click to do combat in DA:O and that's where i stopped playing, so that was about 5 minutes in

Trying to make those games into action-y controls absolutely ruined them In My Opinion

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The 7th Guest posted:

it wasn't 2019 at the time

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

No.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
All of the most popular games right now are point and click

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RTWP is garbage but pointing and clicking is good

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Andrast posted:

RTWP is garbage
You fucker.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that was the other thing, that it was realtime with pause and it was also slow as gently caress

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RTWP is poo poo, was poo poo, and will forever be poo poo. Its what Game Designer Moreau would come up with.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Wasnt dragon age origins a project that had been shelved for a really long time before they came back and finally completed it? I seem to remember press at the time talking about how it had always been on development backburner

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Phantasium posted:

i'm so loving salty about the final mission of AC7 right now, god drat

Me in the PS4 thread:

Steve Yun posted:

The finale of Ace Combat 7 is the biggest gently caress you I’ve come across in a while.

First they expect you to catch two greased pigs on cocaine swinging lightsabers in their mouths.

Then they expect you to catch eight greased pigs.

Then one more greased pig.

Ok you win, whew that felt amazing.

No wait gently caress you now you have to chase a greased pig into a garden hose.

Edit now the pig is crawling up my rear end in a top hat

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

lets hang out posted:

wanting games to fail is the most childish poo poo in the world

This but for all forms of art

Like I'm loving cynical and all but goddamn some of you are being weird

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

This looks extremely rad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I disagree, I hope everyone involved with Prager U fails and loses their jobs even if I know Adam Corolla and their Billionaire backer will be insulated from its failures i will dream.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

The 7th Guest posted:

what's the next trend

I feel like singleplayer card games might only become more popular after Slay the Spire's success. Image & Flow is doing a card-based RPG, for one, and they're good at what they do so that'll probably just push the trend even more.

Also someone's going to do something with Dota Auto Chess sooner or later.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i feel like Dead Cells will create some chasers as well, but that's because there already are 200 roguelites that get released every week

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is FFXII considered RTWP?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
A big problem I have with a lot of modern RPGs is that even if they're not action games, they know they're not action games, I know they're not action games and yet they still feel the need to have action game controls. In Skyrim, whats the advantage of one click = one sword slash, for a game where every enemy will just go in front of you and trade blows. I dont think I ever learned anything in the Witcher besides light attack repeat with the occasional fire spell in a game that was still trying for a modern freeflowing combat system. Diablo was a series built on clicking around all the time. Managing big clunky inventories without pointing and clicking is hell. Mouses work well for placing spells and such, and to that end I dont know why they should control to far from like an RTS would.

Barudak posted:

RTWP is poo poo, was poo poo, and will forever be poo poo. Its what Game Designer Moreau would come up with.
It's perfectly sensible for many games. Turn based might as well be a different genre and is even slower as a system. Real time with slow down is a half solution that doesnt address anything. Trying to play a complex RPG with nothing like that is gonna be a nightmare to control or dumbed down a lot.

Enkmar posted:

Wasnt dragon age origins a project that had been shelved for a really long time before they came back and finally completed it? I seem to remember press at the time talking about how it had always been on development backburner
Yeah, basically. There was originally a Baldur's Gate 3: Blackhound that was going to be a new engine and IIRC new storyline featuring a lot more "mature" content, however they meant that. They lost the license and went on to do KOTOR, Jade Empire and Mass Effect, which occupied more than enough time, and I want to say Dragon Age was rumoured as the Baldur's Gate successor forever (like the name leaked and they confirmed it) and had some initially underwhelming showings. It got delayed a few times and by the time it came out they were supposed to do a sequel right after which is why 2 was the way it was.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cjjtftvYF0

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I had no idea Slay the Spire was doing very well, that's a cool surprise. It's fun as heck.

Now where's my Switch Pokemon TCG with a single player campaign. The game boy ones were surprisingly fun

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Barudak
May 7, 2007

precision posted:

I had no idea Slay the Spire was doing very well, that's a cool surprise. It's fun as heck.

Now where's my Switch Pokemon TCG with a single player campaign. The game boy ones were surprisingly fun

I would pay good drat money for this but sadly Im sure the online CCG has eaten this market

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

It's certainly as bad as RTWP so sure, why not

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

yeah, but I think that's mitigated by having active control over your character

while we're talking jrpgs, i noticed that bravely default is still close to full price but bravely second is $16 on amazon. i haven't played either but i avoided default because of what everyone said about the second half. does bravely second pull anything like that

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah, but I think that's mitigated by having active control over your character

I only consider a game giving you active control over your character if you can physically evade attacks in game space. FF12 and Dage are both the worst offenders of this imo, where they let you move freely but most skills and autoattacks hit instantly, check vs evade, and don't give a poo poo where you're standing. Secret of Mana gives you more active control over your character because at least you can stand outside of the enemies' attack hitboxes and dodge it; FF12 and Dage will both hit you from offscreen, up a ledge, through a wall loving whatever it wants.

Trash system.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bravely Default does not pull anything that bad in its second half but it is a game where at a certain point the game assumes youve mastered whats available to you and broken it as hard as you can because it is too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm basically just buying some poo poo from amazon and seeing what's on sale. i needed to get my cart to a certain amount to ship (otc medication) so I added xenoblade 2 torna, which.. i haven't played the original xeno2 but this is a prequel so i'm not worried about that

i saw yokai watch at $19.. but idk if i wanna bite. i played a demo of it a few years ago and thought the combat was just kinda weird

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Heads up, while Torna is a prequel its basically cut story content that would have gone in the game at around the 60% mark and as such will make playing the main game story a little weird since the story assumes you dont know these characters or their relationships.

It also is better in every single way from QoL to combat so theres no good reason to ever fire up Xenoblade 2 afterwards.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Barudak posted:

Heads up, while Torna is a prequel its basically cut story content that would have gone in the game at around the 60% mark and as such will make playing the main game story a little weird since the story assumes you dont know these characters or their relationships.

It also is better in every single way from QoL to combat so theres no good reason to ever fire up Xenoblade 2 afterwards.
honestly that sounds like a reason to just not buy xenoblade 2 then and only play torna

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

honestly that sounds like a reason to just not buy xenoblade 2 then and only play torna

It is exactly what i recommend.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

Xenoblade 2 is fun and good as long as you aren't an obsessive completionist about getting all the blades.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

cheetah7071 posted:

it wasn't 2019 at the time

Yeah it was long ago enough that I had no idea it was just Game of Thrones with the serial numbers filed off

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To explain my thoughts on Anthem, let me make a comparison. I think Terminator 1 is a vastly superior movie to any other film in the series, and that it is leaps and bounds a better movie than Terminator 2: Judgement Day. I loving love and adore Mass Effect 2 and honestly, I think it's a better game than Mass Effect 1 - however, however, I think it is the Terminator 2 of Bioware. You see the roots of everything that has brought Bioware down in ME2. And I mean, come on. Just look at this loving launch trailer. How can you not get excited for this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjOEmHEd2XM

The Star Wars MMO TOR was godawful. DA2 was a loving shitshow of repetitive content. ME3 loving killed an entire fanbase by refusing to actually deliver on an ending that was almost a decade in the making. DAI was a loving achievement in undeniably lovely single-player MMO game design that should have killed the name Bioware forever. And then ME:A happened. In which they loving killed Mass Effect, forever.

I could loving do an 8 hour lecture on Dragon Age: Inquisition and why it's the worst game of a generation, on a sheer budget/talent to end product ratio. It's honestly awe-inspiring just how loving awful every. single. aspect. is - they fail on every single loving thing they attempt. The worst, honestly, was the user experience - most notably with the war table and the crafting tables. Well, not including the "urgh, punching down arseholes" and the awful transphobic comment from the same loving character just a few hours apart with zero comment from the P.C. - every single loving Dragon Age has had a single awful jab at trans people, for no loving reason. And yet Bioware offers up their woke romance options with every new game as a feature to advertise.

And now with Anthem, Bioware has ran far the gently caress away from any sort of story thread worth getting invested in. I mean, even Dragon Age 2 had a neat Blur trailer. Sure, Anthem has Iron Man suits, but... it's in the same loving tight empty corridors of every other loving single player MMO Bioware game that has totally eaten poo poo. And then you go to the first person "story space" only to... see no loving story worth paying attention to?

I mean, goddamn. It's clear that Bioware, for whatever reason, is never going to go back to those days of creating an exciting single-player RPG with strong story or characters. It's a dead studio and instead of EA killing them outright, they've forced us to watch Bioware's slow, agonizing death, over the better part of the past decade.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 4, 2019

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sir this is a library

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wanna make a game about lost cattes

I love my poor abandoned street kitties that have seen all sorts of horror until I took them in and gave them the real home I wish I grew up in

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is there any other choice based game that rewards picking the apparently worst choices as much as Until Dawn does?

I mean the overall plot doesn't change much but if you pick the "good" things you get a categorically vastly more boring game than if you pick all the "stupid teenagers in a horror movie" ones. You miss out on sooo many brief moments if you don't rp every character as an idiotic rear end in a top hat. I was even gonna say "aside from Hayden Panettiere" but then I remembered she has rear end in a top hat choices that end up hilarious too

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jay Rust posted:

The gaming community

i think when you get a bunch of gamers together it's actually called a "klan"???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

precision posted:

Is there any other choice based game that rewards picking the apparently worst choices as much as Until Dawn does?

I mean the overall plot doesn't change much but if you pick the "good" things you get a categorically vastly more boring game than if you pick all the "stupid teenagers in a horror movie" ones. You miss out on sooo many brief moments if you don't rp every character as an idiotic rear end in a top hat. I was even gonna say "aside from Hayden Panettiere" but then I remembered she has rear end in a top hat choices that end up hilarious too

I wouldn’t say Mass Effect 3 rewards poor choices, but the game is a lot more interesting when you take the fuckup decisions that get people killed. Tali committing suicide at the end of Rannoch is the craziest scene in the entire trilogy, but most people never see it because they make peace with the Geth. Boring!