Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

cuomo thinks if we're high we might vote for him again
the state electorate doesn't need to be high to enable him to be governor-for-life because we're stupid enough as it is. at least it's pretty clear he's not running for president, he seems content to make this the Resistance State

in other news AOC is a goon
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1086...%3D3538%23pti17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

the state electorate doesn't need to be high to enable him to be governor-for-life because we're stupid enough as it is. at least it's pretty clear he's not running for president, he seems content to make this the Resistance State

in other news AOC is a goon
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1086...%3D3538%23pti17

Yeah, I don't think you need to be a goon to make an AYB reference. It's nice to think about, though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, I don't think you need to be a goon to make an AYB reference. It's nice to think about, though.
i was joking when i said that. it's kind of a deep-cut reference to make in 2019, so kudos

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

i was joking when i said that. it's kind of a deep-cut reference to make in 2019, so kudos

Maybe she has a lot of goonstituents?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i preferred pokemon go to the polls

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the debris nets meant to catch the demolished TapZ failed and the river and its banks were full of debris all week.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

the debris nets meant to catch the demolished TapZ failed and the river and its banks were full of debris all week.
i don't even know why andrew wanted to name the new bridge for mario, the apple could not fall further from the tree

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the Reproductive Healthcare Act has officially been passed and signed. up next, probably a state-level DREAM Act

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
In a judicial loss to anti-choicers, Albany Catholic Diocese loses in court on 'abortion mandate' argument

quote:

"(Church officials) believe contraceptives and abortion to be a moral 'evil' and the legal mandate compelling coverage for the same a violation of their core religious beliefs causing a deprivation of rights," McNally wrote. "The court finds the constitutional claims challenged in this case to be (the) same as those raised in Catholic Charities. Given that the Court of Appeal's addressed and rejected the same arguments, Catholic Charities is binding precedent requiring dismissal of plaintiffs constitutional claims in this matter."

"moral evil!" :reddit:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

a bad day for pro-life whiners is a good day for me

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
They are loving desperate to make some kind, any kind of abortion a crime:

quote:

Senate Republicans, who lost their majority in November’s election and have long stalled the bill, saying their opposition is rooted in the fact that victims of domestic violence could go unprotected.

Liv Abreu, an army veteran from the Bronx, was stabbed by her ex-boyfriend when she was 26 weeks pregnant, resulting in the loss of her unborn child.

Abreu joined Republican senators at a press conference at the Capitol on Tuesday to advocate for the law which would enable perpetrators of such violence to be charged with “abortion” in addition to other criminal offenses like “assault” or “attempted murder.”

Except that:

quote:

Democrats note that other charges carry higher penalties than the abortion charge, and that Abreu’s attacker was also charged with felony assault and attempted murder.

“All of these crimes carry much much stricter penalties and length of time in jail than the crime of abortion,” said Sen. Liz Krueger, D-Manhattan, the Senate sponsor for the RHA. “You have to ask the question, why would anybody use the abortion code to charge someone with a heinous crime when we in the state of New York have very strict rules in the criminal code to deal with these kind of criminals?”

:thunk:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

up next, probably a state-level DREAM Act
update: this passed today, and robert jackson and biaggi called out a couple of GOP shitheads on the floor for being hateful about it. also the legislature passed a measure to officially decouple teacher evaluations from test scores

meanwhile zellnor myrie wrote about supporting some kind of campaign finance system that matches small donors. kinda short on details for now but he did trash the real estate lobby for loving up elections. the new state senators are pretty drat good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they should make teacher professional development part of the workday and not extra time+ money while they are at it imo

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/FelipeDLH/status/1089284059577151488

Scumbags.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

with the state legislature flipped, hoping we can get the protect our courts act passed this session

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Child Victims Act looks like the next to pass. the NYC diocese even dropped its opposition (for now)

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Child Victims Act looks like the next to pass. the NYC diocese even dropped its opposition (for now)

It's now awaiting a signature from Cuomo!! :toot: Felder voted on it?! :confuoot:
Legislative sessions are gonna be so fun to watch these next few rounds.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Fellow working new Yorkers, is everyone ready to freeze like dipshits tomorrow? I am so motherfucking pissed that schools are open.

Bill de blahhhhzio fucks it up again.

At least he didn't engage in uncomfortable racial humor during the press conference.

The subway is going to be a grim dark place come morning

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

holy poo poo, the Brooklyn Dem county committee meeting was announced two weeks in advance (Feb. 12), at a reasonable time (7pm), and is right off a subway stop instead of being out in the suburbs (it's off the G, but baby steps). i can't wait, hopefully it won't be a shitshow like last time

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I want it to get cold enough to do that thing where you throw a bucket of water in the air and it turns into a cloud of ice crystals or whatever.

I’m glad this cold snap isn’t going to last long but while it’s here bring it onnnnnn

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

Over Easy posted:

Fellow working new Yorkers, is everyone ready to freeze like dipshits tomorrow? I am so motherfucking pissed that schools are open.
what you need to do is catch a cold for the second time this month, so you can stay at home & feel miserable.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Snowy posted:

I want it to get cold enough to do that thing where you throw a bucket of water in the air and it turns into a cloud of ice crystals or whatever.

I’m glad this cold snap isn’t going to last long but while it’s here bring it onnnnnn

You could probably do this in the Midwest right now

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i very much dont want to go to work but i took monday off for the same reason already

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

haveblue posted:

I know, besides the obvious threat to vulnerable people I’m a little jealous. I thought I had seen some vicious temperatures here but the lowest nyc temp in my life has been around -2.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I moved so that I'm walking distance from work, so it was fine for me. Driving wasn't too bad for my colleagues who did have to come in from farther away.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

haveblue posted:

I just spent ten minutes trying to Google how cold it needs to be to do this

Combinations of "sublime", "phase change", "temperature", all for nought

Then I put my America Hat on and went with "throw hot water into cold air" and Shazam lol

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I know that this is in the New York Post and by a Manhattan Institute fellow, but is anything wrong with this argument that the new congestion pricing plan is essentially recreating the worst of the Robert Moses era?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

I mean, it’s certainly recreating something from the Robert Moses era, but its hard to call it the worst, given that it doesn’t in any way recreate the absurd levels of racism and displacement etc. of Moses.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CaptainPsyko posted:

I mean, it’s certainly recreating something from the Robert Moses era, but its hard to call it the worst, given that it doesn’t in any way recreate the absurd levels of racism and displacement etc. of Moses.

I mean, in terms of roadway governance. We should hope it won't be run by that big of a bigot, but the displacement could well happen, and adverse development doesn't need to be planned with racism explicitly in mind to have racist results.

Edit: Well, well, well..

https://twitter.com/J__Velasquez/status/1090619482471583744

https://twitter.com/J__Velasquez/status/1090620429323120642

Kindness of their hearts, I'm sure. :nallears:

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 05:53 on Jan 31, 2019

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Please vote for Nomiki Konst for Public Advocate yall, she's the only one not riding the land lord lobby's D this cycle.

e: here's her actblue donation page: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/friends-of-nomiki-konst-1

e:
As a person who has spent a year trying to read the Powerbroker, I feel like I've got the credentials to say no not quite. Its targeting vehicles to get funds to support public transportation, supposedly, the exact oppposite of Moses' whole deal.

But yeah he definitely teaches us that we should pay attn to the wording of these laws, and that more money for authorities is just a way to divert the popular will of the city and prevent taxes on the rich, so I'm mildly alarmed by this situation.

Shageletic has issued a correction as of 17:57 on Jan 31, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

did bdb just hand ben carson control of nycha?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

as you might have heard, cuomo put weed legalization in the budget. as you might expect, it's far from being great. the assembly may not want it as part of the budget and wants to do their own, better version

Real hurthling! posted:

did bdb just hand ben carson control of nycha?
there's a monitor over nycha but i don't think HUD controls it completely as of yet

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Shageletic posted:

Please vote for Nomiki Konst for Public Advocate yall, she's the only one not riding the land lord lobby's D this cycle.

e: here's her actblue donation page: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/friends-of-nomiki-konst-1

e:

As a person who has spent a year trying to read the Powerbroker, I feel like I've got the credentials to say no not quite. Its targeting vehicles to get funds to support public transportation, supposedly, the exact oppposite of Moses' whole deal.

But yeah he definitely teaches us that we should pay attn to the wording of these laws, and that more money for authorities is just a way to divert the popular will of the city and prevent taxes on the rich, so I'm mildly alarmed by this situation.

It took me eight weeks to read through it. I guess my problem is that while ostensibly the revenue is supposed to go to transit improvements, I'm not sure where there's anything to guarantee that that happens; meanwhile, the underlying incentive for the sub-authority would be to increase revenue, and I'm not sure I saw how that incentive is curtailed. Lack of city oversight is a big problem.

Edit: Heh, another addendum related to Amazon - quite a rowdy City Council meeting, seems like!
https://twitter.com/michaelcavadias/status/1091105451167678464

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 05:42 on Feb 1, 2019

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

as you might have heard, cuomo put weed legalization in the budget. as you might expect, it's far from being great. the assembly may not want it as part of the budget and wants to do their own, better version

i don't have a ton of faith in the assembly doing a "better" version but it does seem dumb as hell that cuomo's proposal don't allow for people to grow their own weed

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

march to the office of court administration to demand an end to cooperation this wednesday: https://www.facebook.com/events/2362671503777043/

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

https://twitter.com/GarbageApe/status/1091812164124504069

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's time for this guy to stop posting

https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/new...asidic-bus.html

i like Nick Rizzo as a district leader, but even people who know that his heart is in the right place think he would be better served by learning to stfu once in a while. also he is half-Jewish, and there is a mutual dislike between less religious Jews and Hasidim. but you gotta keep that part quiet

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://patch.com/new-york/nanuet/learn-ny-single-payer-health-care-proposal-sunday

quote:

Learn About NY Single-Payer Health Care Proposal Sunday

Want to know the details? A forum will be held at the Nanuet Library.

By Lanning Taliaferro, Patch Staff | Feb 7, 2019 9:49 am ET

NANUET, NY – Learn about the single-payer health care bill that's under consideration in Albany this Sunday at the Nanuet Library.

Assemblyman Richard Gottfried, chair of the State Assembly Health Committee, will appear at an information session to answer questions about his bill, the New York Health Act. He will also speak about its chances for passage.

"We are so pleased to have Assemblyman Gottfried coming to Rockland to tell us about legislators' efforts to move forward this important bill that will finally provide universal health care for all New Yorkers, and save our state billions," said Gina Ironside, President of Rockland Citizens Action Network, lead sponsor of the forum.

Last year an independent study by the Rand Corporation affirmed that the New York Health Act would indeed cut costs, and add quality, according to Rockland CAN. Health care spending by New Yorkers would remain the same through 2022 and by 2031, costs would be 3 percent lower - about $15 billion less.

Tax increases to pay for the new system would be more than offset by elimination of personal health care costs, and by a reduction in local taxes since municipalities would no longer be responsible for paying insurance costs of employees- teachers, police, etc. Residents would no longer have co-pays, deductibles, or premiums, and care would be free at point of service. The plan would cover comprehensive outpatient and inpatient care, primary and preventative care, prescription drugs and laboratory tests, rehabilitative care, and dental, vision and hearing on top of all benefits currently required by state insurance law, Rockland CAN said.

The bill has passed in the Assembly the last four years, but has never made it out of committee in the Senate, which had been controlled by Republicans. With a solid majority of Democrats now in control, many of them new progressives who ran on a platform of promoting single payer, universal health care, it now is possible that the bill could make it out of committee and be approved by both houses of the legislature.

Gottfried is expected to answer questions about what the bill means for Rockland residents and families, and to talk about efforts to overcome remaining obstacles to the bill's passage and enactment which he and other legislators are working out.

"RAND shows we can make sure every New Yorker gets the care they need and does not suffer financially to get it; save billions of dollars a year by cutting administrative costs, insurance company profit, and outrageous drug prices; and pay for it all more fairly," Gottfried says about the study.

Besides Rockland CAN, the forum is sponsored by the American Association of University Women-Rockland; League of Women Voters; Phi Beta Sigma Fratertnity; Orangetown Democratic Committee; Piermont Democratic Committee; Rockland Coalition to End the New Jim Crow; Rockland County Democratic legislators, and the Spring Valley NAACP Health Committee.

Cuomo would veto it, wouldn't he

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm more confident that it will clear both chambers of the legislature than i was a month ago. they've been dealing with low-hanging fruit that's been bottled up for the last few years, but it looks like they've got the strength and willingness to go even further once that's taken care of

to answer the question that you're asking: Cuomo absolutely will, because he's spent his entire third term so far being every bit as petty and filled with vengeance as trump. hell, today he lashed out at the Senate for showing some backbone against the Amazon move (which they're having second thoughts about) and demanded that they don't raise taxes on the wealthy. it's too early to tell, but i have a feeling that this term is going to end as poorly for him as it did for his dad and Pataki, especially if he keeps fancying himself as a roadblock against the legislature's goals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It took me eight weeks to read through it. I guess my problem is that while ostensibly the revenue is supposed to go to transit improvements, I'm not sure where there's anything to guarantee that that happens; meanwhile, the underlying incentive for the sub-authority would be to increase revenue, and I'm not sure I saw how that incentive is curtailed. Lack of city oversight is a big problem.

Edit: Heh, another addendum related to Amazon - quite a rowdy City Council meeting, seems like!
https://twitter.com/michaelcavadias/status/1091105451167678464

It's the same same scam sports teams use to bamboozle the locals.

Don't worry the economic benefits will outweigh the billions of dollars in tax cuts we demand to move!