Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Etrian Odyssey Nexus is out, get it.

Yokai Watch 3 comes out in NA this week, think about getting that as well I guess.

I had no interest in Yokai Watch 3 until I saw it had a Megaman Battle Network style grid combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, it's not getting much promotion so people may not have noticed but YW3's combat is very different to the previous games.

They're changing it again for YW4 on Switch, that version looks a lot like Ni no Kuni.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheKingofSprings posted:

And in the case of P3 is persona non grata from any dubs now

Yeah, Vic finally got what was due thanks to that ANN article :commissar:.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Japan just got a demo for Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn, and they also updated the site to show off all the new features: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/be4j/pc/index.html

-on top of the vehicle transformations, they've added extra powerups that resemble traditional Kirby copy abilities, plus a few character-themed abilities via amiibo

-there are sub-games with Dedede (runner) and Meta Knight (shmup-ish thing)

-there's an optional "Devil Mode" where Kirby has a finite health bar and there's a devil enemy that follows you around and fucks with you the whole time

-they added a lot of items to the room customisation mode (Wii version had 168 items, this one has 259), plus there's streetpass support for trading rooms or whatever

-no stereoscopic 3D, no co-op

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What if Mr. X was in Kirby’s Epic Yarn was a feature I didn’t know I wanted. Maybe I’ll pick it up if that mode is fun.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Huh yeah if Devil mode is fun that might be a reason to pick it up. I liked the original but I still have it and have played through it a couple times so I wasn't planning on getting this one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

What if Mr. X was in Kirby’s Epic Yarn was a feature I didn’t know I wanted. Maybe I’ll pick it up if that mode is fun.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Goddamn! I should not have waited on Yokai Watch Blasters. The physical editions are going for ludicrous prices.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Goddamn! I should not have waited on Yokai Watch Blasters. The physical editions are going for ludicrous prices.

I saw its a more of a beat 'em up kind of thing? Is it any good?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
My New XL's ZR button is stuck in on mode (not physically), is there an easy way 2 fix this (or disable it via homebrew app) or am i simply...doomed...💀😞💔

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Hat Thoughts posted:

My New XL's ZR button is stuck in on mode (not physically), is there an easy way 2 fix this (or disable it via homebrew app) or am i simply...doomed...💀😞💔

Nintendo support is very good, I recommend getting in touch with them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fancy Hat! posted:

I saw its a more of a beat 'em up kind of thing? Is it any good?

I haven't played them yet. I'm kicking myself for not buying them when they came out. I was expecting them to go on sale for maybe $20 during the holidays, but it never happened. Stores must have got very limited quantities since they're liquidating 3DS in order to make room for more Switch games. Before I knew it, whatever copies out there jumped in price. They're totally sold out at all the big retailers and none of my local GameStops have it either. Amazon has a copy of the Red Cat Squad for nearly $70! It looks like they'll be those games that are gonna be difficult for collectors to get further down the line.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

plester1 posted:

Nintendo support is very good, I recommend getting in touch with them.

They’re probably not going to help with a 3DS that has custom firmware installed.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Hat Thoughts posted:

When you say “not physically”, do you mean “only the software thinks it’s pressed” or “the plastic button still moves” because that sounds more like the hat switch under the button is jammed or busted. If so, you might be able to find a local store willing to crack it open and take a look (or you can try yourself if you’re mechanically minded)

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

When you say “not physically”, do you mean “only the software thinks it’s pressed” or “the plastic button still moves” because that sounds more like the hat switch under the button is jammed or busted. If so, you might be able to find a local store willing to crack it open and take a look (or you can try yourself if you’re mechanically minded)

yeah the former, the "R" bumper started gettin a lil iffy but then it worked fine only for this to happen...real cup trick type betrayal from my 3ds

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Hat Thoughts posted:

yeah the former, the "R" bumper started gettin a lil iffy but then it worked fine only for this to happen...real cup trick type betrayal from my 3ds

Shoulder buttons have been one of the long-term weak points on game boys since the advance, to the point that I literally have little baggies of OG/SP/DS shoulder triggers in one of my spare part drawers for the inevitable desolder-and-replace repairs. It looks like the 3DS uses the same actual switch mechanism, but they soldered it to a ribbon that can be popped in/out so you can likely replace it with far less hassle (but you'll still need to be able to disassemble the 3ds to get at it).

You may also be able to do a quick check-- with your working bumper buttons, when you press them down you can feel/hear a click, that's from a small metal plate that's being depressed on the inside of the trigger mechanism. When you press down on the ZR button:

- Is there less movement and no click? You might be lucky and it's just a physical obstruction between the plastic button and the mechanism itself, you might be able to blow some air in around the button without even disassembling the hardware and fix it.

- Is there just as much movement as the other buttons, but no click? That would indicate that there's something that's actually gotten into the mechanism and has basically glued the connection open, like a spilled soda or something. It might be resolvable without replacing something if you can disassemble and isolate the mechanism and dip it in rubbing alcohol or something but it'd still be tricky and might be better to get a $5 replacement mechanism/ribbon combo anyways if you've got it cracked open that far.

- Is there as much movement and a click? That indicates that something is fundamentally broke, either in the component itself (if you're lucky) or elsewhere on the system board. You can order a replacement ribbon/switch and cross your fingers, it's likely replacing that will fix it but it's not guaranteed.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Shoulder buttons have been one of the long-term weak points on game boys since the advance,
Huh. I've had problems with the DS shoulder buttons (neither my DS nor my DS Lite's shoulder buttons lasted particularly long), but my GBA SP and both 3DS models are fine.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Commander Keene posted:

Huh. I've had problems with the DS shoulder buttons (neither my DS nor my DS Lite's shoulder buttons lasted particularly long), but my GBA SP and both 3DS models are fine.

It varies by storage location/humidity/how well you've been treating it, but the upshot is the mechanism itself has a tiny-rear end metal plate in it (aforementioned clicky bit) and it tends to corrode over time, to the point where it can't actually make a connection anymore despite feeling and sounding like it's working. You can actually do a temporary fix in a pinch by prying the mechanism open, removing the plate, and scraping it off to allow a proper connection to be made again, but the things aren't actually meant to be opened up and it's really easy to gently caress it up beyond repair while you're prying it open.

The DS/Lite shoulder buttons are also more prone to just generally getting crap inside them that physically stopped the buttons from being pressed or working properly, which was something you could fix by just NES-style blowing into the buttons, but blowing humid air into your console is a great way to gently caress it up in other ways so

e: Also on the GBA/SP/DS models those are soldered directly to the system board and not a whole lot of people want to deal with the hassle of loving with those bits so those by far and away are the most likely thing to give you grief when you find those things used

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 8, 2019

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
For some reason I though Kirby Epic Yarn was only on Switch, I’m so stoked that I found out it’s on 3DS.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rad Valtar posted:

For some reason I though Kirby Epic Yarn was only on Switch, I’m so stoked that I found out it’s on 3DS.

I wish it was on both. It would look nice in HD.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wish it was on both. It would look nice in HD.

It'd also be much better suited to the Switch with co-op, instead of a life-support port to keep the 3DS going until the unsold consoles are gone.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I understand why they did it, it's probably easier to bring it down to the 3DS rather than fix it up for the Switch, but I do agree that I would've rather had it for Switch. At this point I kind of wish they'd just release a Switch-2 with a 3DS slot so I can play both because now that I have the Switch I don't especially want to go back to the 3DS. That and my 3DS has a busted R button too which makes playing a lot of games a hassle.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Hat Thoughts posted:

You don't need to be all that technically minded, just patient and have the right screwdrivers and a can of compressed air. No harder than installing custom firmware.

You follow an online disassembly guide until you expose the switch itself on the motherboard, then blast canned air directly into it and see if it fixes it. Nine times out of ten, it does.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I completely forgot about Yokai watch 3. It's supposed to be set in America.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dehry posted:

I completely forgot about Yokai watch 3. It's supposed to be set in America.

Yeah, it's a split story with two locations - there's the original protag on exchange in America and a new protag back in Japan.

The NA version of the game is a little goofier due to them Ace Attorney-ing the localisation in the previous games - they localised the original Japanese town as if it was American, so the new location was changed from USA to "BBQ" and everyone talks in super exaggerated southern slang.

The new yokai are literally called 'Merican Yokai, by the way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, it's a split story with two locations - there's the original protag on exchange in America and a new protag back in Japan.

The NA version of the game is a little goofier due to them Ace Attorney-ing the localisation in the previous games - they localised the original Japanese town as if it was American, so the new location was changed from USA to "BBQ" and everyone talks in super exaggerated southern slang.

The new yokai are literally called 'Merican Yokai, by the way.

I can't help but think this was an effort by the development team to gently caress with the Localization team as "write around THIS fuckers :munch:" for fun.

I also firmly believe that the Ace Attorney writers set aside one case per game to go as visibly-Japanese as possible, just to see how the localizers will bend over backwards to make it work in "America".

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got my Nintendo birthday thing, and none of the games catch my interest. Does the code just go to my account, or is it one I can share? I forget.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons

Amazon AU currently has the following 3DS games for $23AUD a pop;

• Super Mario 3D Land
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf
  • Luigi's Mansion 2
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So I'm having issues with some of my old DS games; they're starting to get pretty old, and because of that, my 3DS sometimes takes a while to read them. What's the best way to clean them?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The gray rubbery covering on my circle pad is cracked and starting to come off. What's a good way to fix it before it comes off completely? When that happens I'd probably have to replace the thing entirely.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

At that point you could just use some rubber adhesive, which is what I would tell you to do now, but frankly it will be a lot easier to apply once the thing just falls off.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think it’s safe to say that the 3DS is dead. I really don’t think we’re getting any more announcements this year other than maybe a few more 3rd party games that haven’t been localized yet.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think I might start a new thread for the 3DS, or maybe wait til Persona Q2 comes out as that final closure.

Grad school has been kicking my rear end, but I intend to start a podcast about the DS/3DS once I have some more free time. I'm thinking maybe June would be a perfect time to launch that.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm still loving my 3DS honestly, I'm plugging through Bowser's Inside Story and I have some games in my backlog like Bravely Default and the 3DS Ace Attorney games. Plus my DSi XL has gotten a lot of use since I've been playing through the DS Castlevania games. GBA/DS/3DS is some incredibly powerful gaming

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I'm still loving my 3DS honestly, I'm plugging through Bowser's Inside Story and I have some games in my backlog like Bravely Default and the 3DS Ace Attorney games. Plus my DSi XL has gotten a lot of use since I've been playing through the DS Castlevania games. GBA/DS/3DS is some incredibly powerful gaming

I'm in the middle of 3DS DQ8 right now, and have like an entire year's worth of gaming planned for the thing.

I still wanna get all the DS Castlevanias and all the Etrian Odysseys but they all cost money for some reason?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

elf help book posted:

I'm in the middle of 3DS DQ8 right now, and have like an entire year's worth of gaming planned for the thing.

I still wanna get all the DS Castlevanias and all the Etrian Odysseys but they all cost money for some reason?

And they're only gonna go up at this point. I'd say grab what you can right now. I don't see the DS Castlevanias moving up in price anytime soon, but those EO games will probably get pricey if you care about having complete boxes.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

Oh yeah I never finished DQ7 and 8 on 3DS either

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
3DS DQ7 is the definitive version of the game and is a great remake but man I would not inflict that game on anyone. I say that as someone who played it on PS1 and 3DS and like it quite a bit

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Heath posted:

3DS DQ7 is the definitive version of the game and is a great remake but man I would not inflict that game on anyone. I say that as someone who played it on PS1 and 3DS and like it quite a bit

I played 7 first on 3DS and loved it, and hearing peoples complaints afterwards, it seems like the various things added to guide the player along helped it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The 3DS one has some enormous QoL additions and trims a lot of the fat (the opening sequence to the first fight is around a third of what it is on PS1, so several hours) and it still felt like a bit of a slog. 8 feels like a breeze in comparison.