Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

not soon enough, but man you should smoke some weed or something.

lol

I’m stoned as heck and lol if you don’t :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

SeANMcBAY posted:

I liked all the English voice acting in BOTW including Zelda. It wasn’t amazing but it was nice to see unique voices that aren’t in every other game.

https://twitter.com/zeldainformer/status/1093290744406716418?s=21

To be fair, they've been doing that since LttP with Agahnim.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

not soon enough, but man you should smoke some weed or something.

it’s bonkers when someone can’t recognize that someone else, such as myself, objectively recognizes that BOTW is a great video game

Just wait until unkle at Nintondo replies ! ! !

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

gently caress off, moron.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

gently caress off, moron.
:shrug:

breath of the wild is a great game :shrug:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

And yet for some wacky reason you're trolling the thread instead of loving off :shrug:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bulgakov posted:

wrong, enemyo

this is where people log on to get anger about not beating a new bird man glide record for 20 rupees

a place folks log in to riot about a huge mess of terrain being full of thought and intent

Animal Crossing when???

If we get an animal crossing, will you leave this thread for that one?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Given how useful they are, it’s a pity the ancient bridle and saddle are so spectacularly ugly.

nrook fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 9, 2019

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The saddle looks alright and that's the only useful one. The bridle can suck it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Amppelix posted:

The breaks are technically allowed in this case but at least the one guy who regularly runs this doesn't use them so it's just as well.

But yeah it is uncommon, usually the ruling for mega-long runs is that sure you can take a break but the timer isn't stopping for you.

I don’t understand how they can do this. Playing any game for 20+ hours straight would drive me mad, let alone also having to worry about perfect execution while I do so.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
Get a load of this casual lol

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don’t understand how they can do this. Playing any game for 20+ hours straight would drive me mad, let alone also having to worry about perfect execution while I do so.
For fun, and just to see if they can? A lot of people do like playing games in marathon sessions.

These types of runs absolutely don't have anything even close to perfect execution by the way. The 100 record holder does like one or two actual runs a month, the rest of the time his stream is other things or practise sessions for the run. When you get to the "now you're definitely sleep deprived" part of the runs you'll definitely see him completely zone out and do really silly things, but when you're doing one of these you're just going for completion whatever happens and then just seeing if it was any good afterwards.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Does anyone else not really bother with horses? I have a couple but usually if I'm going through new territory I'd rather go on foot to make sure I don't miss anything cool. If I've been through before I'll just fast travel.

There are no areas so big that they feel like a slog on foot.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
When I was trading off playing with my wife, she would always insist on having a horse, and I would always instantly abandon it when it was my turn.

I found they really just made traveling take longer, especially once you have enough shrines unlocked to teleport basically anywhere and enough stamina to just climb over anything. Having to stop and get off to pick something up was annoying too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I walk everywhere. If I really need to get somewhere fast, I’ll whistle sprint

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Steve2911 posted:

Does anyone else not really bother with horses? I have a couple but usually if I'm going through new territory I'd rather go on foot to make sure I don't miss anything cool. If I've been through before I'll just fast travel.

You do more damage if you attack while at full gallop, so it can be handy sometimes for fighting hinoxes or wandering guardians (Hyrule Field is like 90% of the reason I ever bother with horses)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I really like the feels of riding horses in this game so I do whenever possible. The first horse I caught is my buddy and I always use him even though I have better ones. It was really fun and unexpected when he showed up for the finale of the Ganon fight :unsmith:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Steve2911 posted:

They're fun, and I like dressing them up in the different saddles and bridles and decorating their manes and tails. Sometimes I go fetch my horse and just take a nice leisurely ride along the roads.

Horses are a lot more useful once you have the Ancient Saddle. Too bad once they released that I had already gotten everything important in the game... I gave it to Roach.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Steve2911 posted:

I got a horse once, early on, just to do it. I rode it for a bit but lost interest once I checked it into a stable. I never once went back for it, lol.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

No, horses aren't especially useful. I will however take any chance to use them because riding on a horse is cooler than not riding on a horse. It also makes you naturally follow the roads more and I like that, it's harder to succumb to the temptation of climbing over everything in the game. Lets you take in the sights much more.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm in the midst of a "no fast travel" run, so I've been really enjoying having a horse.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

No, horse, go left around that rock. No, don't stop. Left. LEFT. Godammit horse, don't just stop, there are moblins punching you in the rear end in a top hat. LEFFFFTT

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

No, horse, go left around that rock. No, don't stop. Left. LEFT. Godammit horse, don't just stop, there are moblins punching you in the rear end in a top hat. LEFFFFTT

Yeah, I pretty much just leave BoJack behind for days.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In two playthroughs I have basically not touched the snowy area in the west of the map, so I’m having fun exploring that right now.

Hero’s path is the greatest thing.

Now I have to figure out out what to do with that giant orange glowing ball lodged in the side of the mountain :stare:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

In two playthroughs I have basically not touched the snowy area in the west of the map, so I’m having fun exploring that right now.

Hero’s path is the greatest thing.

Now I have to figure out out what to do with that giant orange glowing ball lodged in the side of the mountain :stare:

There's someone in a nearby stable that tells you about that I think. He just mentions its odd and man made but the decoration should give you a clue what to do. Bring some lightning. :v:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Steve2911 posted:

I know it must be ever so slightly faster but watching him dig around the sides of the shrine to clip into it rather than just opening the door is slightly painful.

Going in the front door requires walking all the way to the buried tower, watching about 3 minutes of cutscenes, and then walking back. It's a big difference.

Skipping activating the tower means that none of the shrines in the world are open, and the game is permanently stuck in daytime.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Stupid Newbie Trip Report:
Finally had some time to sit down and play this, and having a blast. Managed to find one Memory, and have now given myself the task of getting all the towers activated. Managed to get most of them so far, grabbing any Shrines along the way. My stash of Bomb Arrows (and regular arrows for that matter) has been severely depleted trying to get into some of these spots. Learned the importance of saving constantly. Not minding the weapon durability, but God I wish there was a batch cooking option.

Next goal I think is to get a decent horse so I can make use of this ancient saddle.

Overall loving it, my only regret is not playing it earlier so I could participate in the global "Look what I just found!" but it's nice going in blind. I do have one coworker who's just started too so we're being lovely employees and just talking about Botw all day.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Dr. Stab posted:

Going in the front door requires walking all the way to the buried tower, watching about 3 minutes of cutscenes, and then walking back. It's a big difference.

Skipping activating the tower means that none of the shrines in the world are open, and the game is permanently stuck in daytime.

And no fast travel. I'm really looking forward to it once I can manage to get this drat shrine clip down.

Can anyone here give me some advice on it? I'm using https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzMCeBmDkN4, which has some details - as far as I can see you shield surf on the slope of the shrine and immediately unequip the shield, then re-equip and shield surf in through the side from the right angle. Is there anything I'm missing, or does anyone have a more detailed guide? I can't seem to get the angle right at the moment.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Alright, so I hit the Gerudo oasis town. Is there any way to get sun resistant clothes between there and the main town?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Regalingualius posted:

Alright, so I hit the Gerudo oasis town. Is there any way to get sun resistant clothes between there and the main town?

Yes. Speak to people.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Steve2911 posted:

Yes. Speak to people.

You might have to go to the town and be refused entrance by the guards to kick it off.

PS Other ways of cooling down: stripping to your shorts eating frozen food equipping an ice weapon

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Wait, naked link is sunproof?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Spanish Manlove posted:

Wait, naked link is sunproof?

No, just slightly more heat resistant. It's not a big effect.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Interestingly, standing in the shade also decreases your heat slightly. The things this game takes into account...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Backhand posted:

Interestingly, standing in the shade also decreases your heat slightly. The things this game takes into account...

Honestly one of my favorite parts of this game is to just wear headphones while playing it. Like they should be a requirement

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Backhand posted:

I only first noticed this in that Shrine Quest where you have to lug the ice block back to town. It melts more slowly in the shade.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
what is whistle sprinting

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
whistling while sprinting

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
to what end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
uses less stamina than normal sprinting or something