Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
A book I read about a Russia defector in the mid-70’s talked a lot about alcoholism in the Soviet Union. To the extent that the lack of it in the US (in comparison) was as shocking as the fully stocked grocery stores.

Russia keeps flirting with increasing the retirement age. I think the life expectancy is 62 and they want to increase the retirement age from 60 to 65. And that’s with an infant mortality rate not too much worse than other Western nations. So huge numbers of men really are dying in their early 60’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bizarrely, I think Putin's recent 'compromise' was to increase it for men but not for women. So your chances of reaching retirement as a man are not great. I guess that's one way of balancing the budget.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Krispy Wafer posted:

A book I read about a Russia defector in the mid-70’s talked a lot about alcoholism in the Soviet Union. To the extent that the lack of it in the US (in comparison) was as shocking as the fully stocked grocery stores.

Russia keeps flirting with increasing the retirement age. I think the life expectancy is 62 and they want to increase the retirement age from 60 to 65. And that’s with an infant mortality rate not too much worse than other Western nations. So huge numbers of men really are dying in their early 60’s.

In one of the STALKER games, might have been a mod or the regular game, can't remember, there was a story you could follow to a "stalker's retirement fund". It apparently had enough value in gear and money to last you the rest of your life.

A bottle of vodka, a pistol, and a single bullet

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

This has to be fake

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Krispy Wafer posted:

A compounding factor was an almost total lack of consumer goods. It's not like saving your money to buy a big-screen TV or a nice stereo system or an NES was an option for most people. Vodka it is, then, gotta do something with your weekends.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

A compounding factor was an almost total lack of consumer goods. It's not like saving your money to buy a big-screen TV or a nice stereo system or an NES was an option for most people. Vodka it is, then, gotta do something with your weekends.

Weekends?

Russians drink on the job. But yes, you had a situation where you could wait years for a lovely apartment or car. Drinking was cheap and it was communal so that's what men did.

In the Russian air force, they'd drink the pure alcohol that was meant to deice or cool advanced jet components.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Samuringa posted:

This has to be fake

They're all about that whole "thin blue line" thing lately. It is behind the letters rather than actually "crossing them out" (as you can tell by the part with the glare) but the letters are, of course, black, not some light girly color! The idea could look decent on paper, but under actual lighting conditions... Nope.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

crossposting

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Weekends?

Russians drink on the job. But yes, you had a situation where you could wait years for a lovely apartment or car. Drinking was cheap and it was communal so that's what men did.

In the Russian air force, they'd drink the pure alcohol that was meant to deice or cool advanced jet components.

When life sucks people also pretty readily sink into addictions. Life in Russia has often sucked.

Mr. World
May 6, 2007
Working undercover for the man . . .

Samuringa posted:

This has to be fake

This is real and 100% Texas as gently caress.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Alcohol in Russia is dirt cheap which means people consume a lot of it which means people are more likely to develop chemical dependencies on it. Like 90% of alcohol regulations in America have no point beyond making it more expensive and inconveneint to produce alcohol, so that its more expensive and inconvenient to become an alcoholic.

See also: Soju

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The whole blue line craze grew out of #bluelivesmatter which was supposed to go against #blacklivesmatter, a movement that started on calling out police for shooting too many minorities. Coincidentally, the only people I see promoting this stuff are white, and have very cool opinions of everyone who isn't.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Nitrox posted:

The whole blue line craze grew out of #bluelivesmatter which was supposed to go against #blacklivesmatter, a movement that started on calling out police for shooting too many minorities. Coincidentally, the only people I see promoting this stuff are white, and have very cool opinions of everyone who isn't.

are these the same pigs who desecrate the us flag by removing and altering its colors?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Nitrox posted:

The blue line thing was way before #bluelivesmatter, it stems from the phrase "The thin blue line" which has been in use since the 50's or so. Cops have used those black flags with a single horizontal blue line as a "Hey I'm a cop too" (aka don't pull me over) sticker for a while. However, not to come off as a completely contrary dick, you are correct that the usage of the blue line for non family members to support cops as well as the american flag with the blue line definitely coincides with the #blacklivesmatter issues.
Sources: My brother is a cop and has had one of those black and blue license plates for at least 10 years or so.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

you wanna know some insanely insecure tacticool poo poo? there's a "thin yellow line" variant of those flags and Punisher skulls for rent-a-cops and "loss prevention officers"

you spend all day watching monitors to make sure teenagers don't steal Pokemon cards and Pringles, you're not fuckin' Robocop

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Which colonies got kicked out?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Pastry of the Year posted:

you wanna know some insanely insecure tacticool poo poo? there's a "thin yellow line" variant of those flags and Punisher skulls for rent-a-cops and "loss prevention officers"

you spend all day watching monitors to make sure teenagers don't steal Pokemon cards and Pringles, you're not fuckin' Robocop

lmao "hold myself and others accountable" ACAB

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Cerepol posted:

lmao "hold myself and others accountable" ACAB

mall cops are bastards

Wendell
May 11, 2003

MCAB

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Krispy Wafer posted:

Weekends?

Oh no, having to wait years for an affordable apartment in the city where I live? That's unthinkable. an affordable apartment!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Oh no, having to wait years for an affordable apartment in the city where I live? That's unthinkable. an affordable apartment!

I don't know if you can compare the housing situation in Soviet Russia with apartment scarcity in a modern American city.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Casu Marzu posted:

See also: Soju

Yeah but I'd bet at least 50% of Soju consumption is stupid Americans over there. Ask me how I know

Also, while soju is bad, at least it's nominally intended for human consumption.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Krispy Wafer posted:

I don't know if you can compare the housing situation in Soviet Russia with apartment scarcity in a modern American city.

I was actually thinking about Stockholm

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

I was actually thinking about Stockholm

Fine. Modern Western city.

Although yeah, Stockholm is pretty bad.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Fine. Modern Western city.

Although yeah, Stockholm is pretty bad.

But once you're there you never want to leave, right?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This is not dumb marketing but people being dumb about marketing: Fox News banned an ad for a documentary about the 1939 American Nazi rally for being inappropriate.

https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/fox-news-bans-ad-for-documentary-about-american-nazi-ra-1832616819

Here is said ad:
https://vimeo.com/316176375

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The MSJ posted:

This is not dumb marketing but people being dumb about marketing: Fox News banned an ad for a documentary about the 1939 American Nazi rally for being inappropriate.

https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/fox-news-bans-ad-for-documentary-about-american-nazi-ra-1832616819

Here is said ad:
https://vimeo.com/316176375

Fox News knows that they're the channel for Nazis, they don't want to alienate the three viewers who haven't accepted that yet.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/02/13/stephen-martin-prime-time-sports/

quote:

A sporting goods store owner in Colorado Springs decided to close up shop months after he started boycotting Nike products. In September, Stephen Martin, owner of Prime Time Sports, took issue with a Nike advertisement featuring Colin Kaepernick.

“Being a sports store and not having Nike jerseys is kind of like being a milk store without milk or a gas station without gas. They have a virtual monopoly on jerseys. There is no other option,” Martin told the CBS affiliate in Colorado Springs, KKTV.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Has Nike gone out of business yet? All those people destroying their own clothes should have destroyed Nike by now, somehow.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
A milk store?

Literally, earlier this week in another thread someone accidentally said "burger shop". Now I'm imagining a strip mall where all the stores are single product shops where you go from the milk store to the tomato shop and so on to get your breakfast.

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 17:20 on Feb 14, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like the idea of a burger shop as some kind of garage that you take burgers to be repaired.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
"Yes hello this is Rusty from the Burger shop. I know you brought your burger in to get re sesamed but we also noticed your pickle chips are worn out. If you like, we can can replace them and get you a full condiment flush for only 200 dollars more."

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
A&W is my favorite burger shop.

UNCLE

BURGER

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

Has Nike gone out of business yet? All those people destroying their own clothes should have destroyed Nike by now, somehow.

Apparently ever since their last ad campaign they've been breaking sales records like crazy.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

hello friends,

Last year I made the decision to trust my life on the street to Second Chance body armor. I got the level IIa because it stops the most rounds. plus I got the Trauma Plate for the front.

What scares me is that, although I can fit an extra trauma plate in the front, I cannot fit a second one in back. As of late I have taken to duct-taping a second trauma plate to the area of my back where the heart and vital organs are located. Then I put my vest on.

Here is the questions. The ducttape solution, although tactically sound, is hot and painful to remove. I would like to go to the single-plate solution in back. What I am worried about is repeated hits to that area with .308 ammunition. I have a high-risk security job and I fear that I would be the target for repeated long-distance shots to my back.

Are any of you aware of a thicker plate that could stop, say, .338 Lapua or something like that? Is there a better way to do the second plate?

BTW, I am, of course, usually carrying a pair of ceramic plates in my briefcase so that I can shield my head. My SO (we work as a team when necessary) has a similar accessory containing a breakdown NEF single-shot 300 WinMag with an 18" bbl. The plan is that I shield us with my body and “catch the rounds” while she assembles the NEF. I lay down covering fire with my 23 (Bar-Sto .357 Sig barrel) and she makes the long shots. I will then throw smoke grenades to obscure the area while continuing to lay covering fire. The problem, of course, is when I have to turn my back to run, and then the problem crops up.

Thanks!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tunicate posted:

hello friends,

Last year I made the decision to trust my life on the street to Second Chance body armor. I got the level IIa because it stops the most rounds. plus I got the Trauma Plate for the front.

What scares me is that, although I can fit an extra trauma plate in the front, I cannot fit a second one in back. As of late I have taken to duct-taping a second trauma plate to the area of my back where the heart and vital organs are located. Then I put my vest on.

Here is the questions. The ducttape solution, although tactically sound, is hot and painful to remove. I would like to go to the single-plate solution in back. What I am worried about is repeated hits to that area with .308 ammunition. I have a high-risk security job and I fear that I would be the target for repeated long-distance shots to my back.

Are any of you aware of a thicker plate that could stop, say, .338 Lapua or something like that? Is there a better way to do the second plate?

BTW, I am, of course, usually carrying a pair of ceramic plates in my briefcase so that I can shield my head. My SO (we work as a team when necessary) has a similar accessory containing a breakdown NEF single-shot 300 WinMag with an 18" bbl. The plan is that I shield us with my body and “catch the rounds” while she assembles the NEF. I lay down covering fire with my 23 (Bar-Sto .357 Sig barrel) and she makes the long shots. I will then throw smoke grenades to obscure the area while continuing to lay covering fire. The problem, of course, is when I have to turn my back to run, and then the problem crops up.

Thanks!

I never noticed the "painful to remove" part before and it just clicked for me.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

chitoryu12 posted:

I never noticed the "painful to remove" part before and it just clicked for me.

idgi

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
There's a security guard at the local Home Depot/Panda Express/Starbucks strip mall that does have a bunch of body armor on. He looks like some uparmored mob in the Division.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Straight up taping it to his back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I thought you had to work in law enforcement to buy body armor.