Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

If you haven't heard the full Cheers theme turn your loving speakers up, it's amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhVRzh4_j50

Roll out of bed, Mr. Coffee's dead
The morning's looking bright
And your shrink ran off to Europe and didn't even write
And your husband wants to be a girl
Be glad, there's one place in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

TrixRabbi posted:

Torn between laughing at the sports apparel guy going out of business and reconciling the horror of the massive monopoly of Nike where refusing to carry its product carries the strong likelihood of destroying your business.

Same :smith::respek::unsmith:

I get torn too when a racist poo poo gets fired for something they did outside of work. The individual consequence of the situation is wonderful but the systemic issue that allows the capitalistic overlords to control your life when you're not on the clock are decidedly lovely.

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit
in a perfect world there would be extensive job protections for everybody and it would be legal to hunt nazis with spearguns

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Al ! posted:

in a perfect world there would be extensive job protections for everybody and it would be legal to hunt nazis with spearguns

i like the cut of your jib.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My point of view is that you should not try to get people fired even if you find their political views odious, because it's not like impoverishing someone (and potentially their family) is going to make them better or make the world a better place. But there are exceptions.

One is the rich. I don't care if someone with more money and power than most people will ever have in their life loses a job.

Second is people in political or politically relevant positions. Obviously it's fine to discourage a news outlet from employing a pundit whose job will be to defend awful policies.

The third is Nazis. Someone who believes that like half the population of the planet should be exterminated is a different thing from an ordinary dumbshit racist Trump supporter.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

My point of view is that you should not try to get people fired even if you find their political views odious, because it's not like impoverishing someone (and potentially their family) is going to make them better or make the world a better place. But there are exceptions.

One is the rich. I don't care if someone with more money and power than most people will ever have in their life loses a job.

Second is people in political or politically relevant positions. Obviously it's fine to discourage a news outlet from employing a pundit whose job will be to defend awful policies.

The third is Nazis. Someone who believes that like half the population of the planet should be exterminated is a different thing from an ordinary dumbshit racist Trump supporter.

lol it's the exact same thing as an ordinary dipshit racist trump supporter

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I think it's always better to punch up than punch down.

It's also okay to punish chuds who are absolutely punching down constantly and will never stop. Even if they won't change you've removed power from them and maybe stopped them from hurting someone vulnerable in the future.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
chuds and the people who enable them stopped deserving respect and fair treatment ages ago, and if you still insist on 'taking the high road' when it comes to people who'd at best take away my rights and at worst lynch me just because i like penis, you're an idiot and one of the enablers

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah this whole decorum bullshit is tiring.

"But now capitalists can fire you for anything outside of work"

They already can. And often they're perfectly fine with keeping nazis and rapists in their company, knowingly, until it becomes public. So gently caress them.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Kitfox88 posted:

chuds and the people who enable them stopped deserving respect and fair treatment ages ago, and if you still insist on 'taking the high road' when it comes to people who'd at best take away my rights and at worst lynch me just because i like penis, you're an idiot and one of the enablers

There is a distinction between wanting chuds to face consequences for their actions and not wanting employers to decide your fate based on whether you fit their current moral posturing.

A chud free world and strong workers rights are not mutually exclusive.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I would like to commission an art piece, I call it "the door from silent hill 4: the room except oil pipeline valves", ideally a whole series of such pieces which doesn't hurt anyone or the environment

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Protagonist posted:

I would like to commission an art piece, I call it "the door from silent hill 4: the room except oil pipeline valves", ideally a whole series of such pieces which doesn't hurt anyone or the environment

but you see drains derail and blew up a town in Quebec that means pipelines

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/1096317175277576192

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
drat, coulter is so desperate to be relevant again that she has resorted to factually correct statements

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

drat, coulter is so desperate to be relevant again that she has resorted to factually correct statements

Truly, we live in terrifying times.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
lotta folks retweeting that with captions like “I feel dirty because I just agreed with something ann coulter said”

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Coulter pivoting to resistance mom's makes perfect sense

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit
the "never get someone fired even if they're a nazi" perspective is bad because it neglects the safety and wellbeing of that person's fellow employees.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Ann Coulter Attacks Trump For Cowardly Backing Down From Full On Race War

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The inescapable problem for Coulter is that she is aging. Sucks, but being young and blonde was part of the "conservative woman pundit" job description.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
unlike boorish old conservative men I will always love the racist nosferatu lady, no matter how many times she sheds her skin and grows taller every year

Dr. Killjoy has issued a correction as of 22:22 on Feb 15, 2019

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Dreddout posted:

Coulter pivoting to resistance mom's makes perfect sense

she's attacking him from his right bc she worries accepting the $1B wall money from congress weakens him in a lawsuit over the "emergency" wall money. the normal rightwing grifters don't care bc if trump loses in court they get to cry about aCtIViSt jUDgEs. ann is a legit white supremacist mad about trump's political strategy

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah she's mad that the idelogy for craven sociopaths attracts ineffective conmen

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Al ! posted:

the "never get someone fired even if they're a nazi" perspective is bad because it neglects the safety and wellbeing of that person's fellow employees.

I think it’s projection to compensate for the fear inherent in the sudden realization that nobody has any job security and everyone can be fired at any time for literally no reason.

If I “play fair,” I can continue to pretend fair play exists.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Asimo posted:

Modern people don't really understand just how horrible infectious disease was for the entirety of human history until vaccines were invented because it's been so many generations since we've really seen the effects in the first world. They rationally know it's bad, but the worst they or anyone else they know is something like the flu and that's fine isn't it? And if you did catch something bad it was probably your fault, right? They can't internalize that people - children and adults - used to get scarred, crippled, blinded, or killed just by happening to be in the vicinity of an infectious disease. I'm not sure anything will really solve this sort of mindset except another severe pandemic that affects a noticeable percentage of the population and forces them to admit they have to do something to protect their family from infections, like with you're seeing with measles in certain areas now.

Problem is, the right wing is so entrenched in the fake news meme that even if a full-scale pandemic happens and kills half the loving population of this country, there will still be shitloads of people denying it happened, saying it was all just the dems doing it to make conservatives look bad, it was all Obama and Hillary's doing, etc. I'm honestly not sure how we recover from this, except wait for the next couple generations to grow old and die and hope those afterwards aren't as terrible.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

CodfishCartographer posted:

Problem is, the right wing is so entrenched in the fake news meme that even if a full-scale pandemic happens and kills half the loving population of this country, there will still be shitloads of people denying it happened, saying it was all just the dems doing it to make conservatives look bad, it was all Obama and Hillary's doing, etc. I'm honestly not sure how we recover from this, except wait for the next couple generations to grow old and die and hope those afterwards aren't as terrible.

You forgot "it was God's will".

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Jesus actually died of a combination of polio and measles so it's a dignified and virtuous way to go.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The problem is that lovely people pass on their lovely ideas to their kids, and even people who are ostensibly sane can fall off the deep end if something tragic enough happens to them. There really isn't a cure other than forced critical thinking education.

Oh and forced therapy but even with that you run into the fact that you can't help someone who doesn't want it.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The good thing about getting a racist chud fired is that it creates an opportunity for someone who potentially isn't a racist chud.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1097003925906042880?s=19

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

CodfishCartographer posted:

fyi they are already blaming mexican and Central American immigrants for bringing diseases

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Another one I've noticed is blaming fentanyl coming across the Mexican border instead of, you know, drug companies.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Or through the mail, sent from China. where they have been coming from forever.

It is the pharmaceutical companies fault that fent was ever permitted to be a ‘take home’ medicine. It does have its place in emergency and end of life situations, but if you’re well enough to go home there was already a toolbox full of opioids/opiates to try.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I doubt they're cutting street drugs with grandma's perscription fent when you can order it by the sack on alibaba.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dr.Caligari posted:

Or through the mail, sent from China. where they have been coming from forever.

It is the pharmaceutical companies fault that fent was ever permitted to be a ‘take home’ medicine. It does have its place in emergency and end of life situations, but if you’re well enough to go home there was already a toolbox full of opioids/opiates to try.

The opioid crisis is entirely on big pharma.
The escalation and diversity in the various codeine/morphine analogues just to grab a patent then relentlessly pushing them on docs. Then you have scummy pain management docs/clinics that prey on cases that opiates can only treat the symptoms of on a short term basis only.

Most other countries have opis on strict prescription rules, and hell a lot of countries the most youll get for pain is an NSAID+tramadol.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

opiate discontinuation / replacement therapy is also a huge, predatory market where suboxone and vivitrol clinics rake in tremendous profits by participating in a mega-nepotistic regulatory-captured industry. like most states have a set number of clinicians they license to dispense suboxone, and those clinics that acquire them are invariably high-volume big money operations scamming medicare. its also had the effect of creating a tiered recovery system where bourgeois addicts are able to acquire take-home medication and taper under a well-supervised doctor's schedule and then use (incredibly expensive) vivitrol shots to prevent relapse, where poor addicts get to go to the methadone clinic literally every day which obviously is very difficult for people who work.

if we won't nationalize the pharmaceutical industry you'd think people who are increasingly okay with medicare for all would be willing to nationalize the recovery industry

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
https://twitter.com/girlsreallyrule/status/1097511699182174208?s=20

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

haha bitch you ain't done by a mile yet. This timeline isn't through with any of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit

her paying more in taxes is good for the country though. i think she means she thought trump would be good for her tax refund