Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Floor press makes doing the roll of shame even easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Guyver posted:

How are you going to injure yourself with a floor press? Unless you got a bunch of 25s on the ground literally keeps the bar from falling on your face or neck if you drop it.

ive heard of people breaking their wrists coming down too hard and their elbows hitting the floor.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

FizFashizzle posted:

ive heard of people breaking their wrists coming down too hard and their elbows hitting the floor.

Ow

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Then I guess the eccentric is a beneficial part of the floor press.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

david carmichael posted:

what am i going to do, lie down on the ground and then stand back up? Under my own power? That kind of nonsense is not why i go to the gym

Get-ups are actually cool and good

Also pin bench with your feet up on the bench is pretty much the same thing if you want to try that

Guyver posted:

Then I guess the eccentric is a beneficial part of the floor press.

Yeah this is what I noticed when I messed around with them during a pivot week. You want to be real controlled around the bottom, like a pin bench.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the worst actual workout injury ive seen in person is some idiot doing supinated pullups with a wide loving grip. Was straining for that last part of the set, he screamed, and you could see both his biceps tendons curled up into his delts.

worst thing ive ever seen at a gym was a freak accident where some guy had his hand against a rig with a pullup bar. it was one of those half circular mounts with 2 pullup bars at different heights or whatever. someone just absentmindedly hanged from one of the pull up bars, it was installed correctly, and the thing swung down like a guillotine and chopped off this dudes fingers.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sassassin posted:

I liked board presses because my gym had a big block of wood near the benches and props are fun.

But eventually I learned the truth and stopped benching altogether.

How do you get them big tittays then?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

mobby_6kl posted:

How do you get them big tittays then?

cable flies

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/Phylan/status/1096788755145465856

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

FizFashizzle posted:

the worst actual workout injury ive seen in person is some idiot doing supinated pullups with a wide loving grip. Was straining for that last part of the set, he screamed, and you could see both his biceps tendons curled up into his delts.

I saw that happen to a guy who decided to get to the gym and immediately try to flip an 800 pound tire with no warmup.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Warming up is fun and good.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

At the gym I used to work at I got to watch the CCTV footage of a guy who walked in ten minutes before closing on a Sunday, loaded the bench with 185 and promptly dropped it on his collarbone.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chief McHeath posted:

At the gym I used to work at I got to watch the CCTV footage of a guy who walked in ten minutes before closing on a Sunday, loaded the bench with 185 and promptly dropped it on his collarbone.

Well... at least it was only 185 lol.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Well... at least it was only 185 lol.

He himself was probably 170, 180.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Fukkin laffo to the dude at my gym today wearing a tom of Finland shirt

Awesome.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

MA-Horus posted:

Awesome.

holy poo poo

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

MA-Horus posted:

Awesome.

I didn't know you went to David Barton Gym.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MA-Horus posted:

Awesome.

they installed new mirrors?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

CheesyDog posted:

they installed new mirrors?

only time i've seen this used as a compliment

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
My gym is cool but nothing is worse for the ego than working out next to stefi cohen.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

david carmichael posted:

My gym is cool but nothing is worse for the ego than working out next to stefi cohen.

Same but with other women at my power lifting gym.

I mean drat....

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

david carmichael posted:

I've been considering joining hybrid. Way to doxx yourself. Do you have stairs in your house.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

david carmichael posted:

A few guys at my gym also train at westside. So I pretty much have never been able to even develope an ego.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I use several supplements as positive reinforcers to keep myself motivated to go to the gym - creatine, a preworkout and protein powder. A coworker who objectively qualifies as jacked doesn't use any and is on a strictly keto diet. I refuse to see a correlation between those two things.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I use several supplements as positive reinforcers to keep myself motivated to go to the gym - creatine, a preworkout and protein powder. A coworker who objectively qualifies as jacked doesn't use any and is on a strictly keto diet. I refuse to see a correlation between those two things.

I mean, creatine is one of the few supplements with evidence to suggest it does anything at all, but it's still vastly less important than training consistently with sufficient volume, a good diet with enough calories and protein, and rest.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I guess I just keep from fully committing to the diet end because in not doing so I can just pass off any lack of progress as not having the time/money/will to engage that deeply.

Ugh, I'll just put in the effort.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

feelix posted:

Floor press is a pretty standard exercise.

Pretty sure it's one of those old-timey exercises from before they invented the bench press, too.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It was, you'd roll iit over your face and JM Press it over head. One of the first techniques to get it into position for more weight was to roll the bar over your stomach/hips and do a ballistic hip thrust to get it in position. Kind of like how you'd originally do a leg press.

They even had people at the time complaining some strongmen used more hips in their floor press then chest/arms/shoulders.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
People aren't joking about how much a good coach helps. Got a 22lb PR to my squat in 4 weeks. And that was doing singles in 2.5kg increments all the way up, I'm sure I could hit a little more if I was 100% fresh.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

david carmichael posted:

The Fortis gyms have some hilariously strong women working out at them, and they are fantastic ego checks.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

My gym has no strong women. It's depressing.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Same, but also no strong men. I saw someone doing half squats with 135 yesterday and died inside a bit

I actually live like a block away from probably the best powerlifting gym in Seattle but I'm more going for seeing my abs than lifting heavy these days so I'm not sure if I'd fit in with those guys who can lift Indiana Jones level atlas balls

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I rolled up some string cheese and peanut butter in salami and a little tortilla. It was yummy.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

nooneofconsequence posted:

My gym is just about all dudes. I bet if I changed to the Equinox a block away there would be a lot more women, but gently caress spending $200/mo to lift weights.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

UnfurledSails posted:

Same, but also no strong men. I saw someone doing half squats with 135 yesterday and died inside a bit

I actually live like a block away from probably the best powerlifting gym in Seattle but I'm more going for seeing my abs than lifting heavy these days so I'm not sure if I'd fit in with those guys who can lift Indiana Jones level atlas balls

Not all strongmen are big mclargehuge no-necks you know.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nooneofconsequence posted:

You’re lucky. My old gym had a bunch and one almost beat me up for deadlifting in a weird spot. (Gym was extremely crowded)

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

That's still no excuse to lift in thier locker room.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
a lot of people would pay good money to get beaten up by a strong woman

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

soy posted:

You’re lucky. My old gym had a bunch and one almost beat me up for deadlifting in a weird spot. (Gym was extremely crowded)
it doesn't matter how crowded it is you're still not supposed to exercise in the women's locker room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I'm either the strongest of the weak people or the weakest of the strong people among the regulars at my gym.

But gently caress them, I've got the best metabolic conditioning.

I hit a PR on my 500M row yesterday at 1:36.