Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheManWithNoName posted:

Why is the hardcover BPRD vol 3 so hard to find now? Really don’t want to pay a ton.

As a general rule, the further into a series you get, the fewer copies of reprints will be printed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Endless Mike posted:

As a general rule, the further into a series you get, the fewer copies of reprints will be printed.

I realize that but it’s only been out for a few months. Guess I’ll grab volume 4 ASAP.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is this a new volume 3 or something? Because I've had a V3 on my shelf for a few years.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Is this a new volume 3 or something? Because I've had a V3 on my shelf for a few years.

Yeah, should have been more specific. This is the Hell on Earth volume 3 which just came out in November, and is now fetching over $100 on Amazon.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I think something really weird happened with Hell on Earth vol. 3. A number of retailers had it listed as unavailable the very day it came out. Maybe it was criminally underprinted right from the get-go? :shrug:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

TheManWithNoName posted:

Why is the hardcover BPRD vol 3 so hard to find now? Really don’t want to pay a ton.

https://www.tfaw.com/Graphic-Novels/Profile/B.P.R.D.-Hell-On-Earth-Volume-3-HC___575663

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Awesome!! Ordered it thanks

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just got another Ollie's 10% off postcard...

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I just got another Ollie's 10% off postcard...

What’s the plan for all these books? No offense but most of them aren’t worth owning.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheManWithNoName posted:

What’s the plan for all these books? No offense but most of them aren’t worth owning.

If you say so. I'm keepin half of these for my shelves, the rest will get read then donated to the Juvie Center. They love comic donations.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

You should know better than to try and talk Rhyno out of these purchases.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

^burtle posted:

You should know better than to try and talk Rhyno out of these purchases.

I have been watching too much Marie Kondo apparently.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That woman is not welcome in my home.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Good thing I decided that since I'm getting back into comics I should maybe start poking around BSS more. Thanks for the tip about Ollie's Rhyno, there was still a fair amount at my local one even though it's been a month. True to form though I only bought what will probably turn out to be borderline garbage comics:

My excuse for restraining myself to just these three books is that I'm heavily considering an attempt at getting all of the Modesty Blaise trades. Or maybe try getting original The Spirit in archives form. I haven't quite decided as both are expensive as hell propositions.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

Good thing I decided that since I'm getting back into comics I should maybe start poking around BSS more. Thanks for the tip about Ollie's Rhyno, there was still a fair amount at my local one even though it's been a month. True to form though I only bought what will probably turn out to be borderline garbage comics:

My excuse for restraining myself to just these three books is that I'm heavily considering an attempt at getting all of the Modesty Blaise trades. Or maybe try getting original The Spirit in archives form. I haven't quite decided as both are expensive as hell propositions.

Holy poo poo, Cooke's Spirit is so good, and everything I've read so far from Allred and Slott's Silver Surfer is good too. I gotta get back to Ollie's if those are starting to show up!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Holy poo poo, Cooke's Spirit is so good, and everything I've read so far from Allred and Slott's Silver Surfer is good too. I gotta get back to Ollie's if those are starting to show up!

I was unsure about this Spirit so I figured a cheap trade couldn't hurt to try (there was only volume 2 though and two of them at that!). Better than trying to piece together individual issues at the local comic shops I guess? I just picked up Silver Surfer because it looked interesting and I saw Doc Strange and the Hulk showed up in it while I flipped through fast. I still expect Vigilante there to be peak early 80s comics though. That sweet spot where everyone's trying something new (and not always succeeding) before descending into 90s X-treme blood, sex, violence, and madness.

I did a lot of careful digging through the shelves and racks at the store to see if there was anything weird mixed in. Rhyno's hauls are pretty representative of the bulk of the stuff there. I remember it being mostly DC, lots of things touting the New 52 on the cover. Various flavors of Superman, Batman, Harley Quinn, and Wonder Woman books, a lot of Animal Man and Grimm's Fairy tales, plus some random Constantine volumes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Zenoscope stuff has been sitting at Ollie's since last year, I dont think it was a part of the huge closeout they bought recently.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My Ollie's has a lot of BOOM Studios books, too.

There are only a few TPBs I even want nowadays, and I leave them unpurchased because I prefer being incomplete and always having some things out there that I want. I've never actually found anything from my short want list at Ollie's, even though I keep checking periodically.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I've been raiding the Ollie's here in Nashville lately. In fact, I came here to tell you guys to get on it but I see that word has gotten out :cool:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Uh Voodoo Lou may I ask what you liked about Cooke's Spirit? I read it last night, and didn't like it at all. The easy explanation would be to blame that a good chunk of the stores in this volume aren't actually by Cooke. But, I also didn't like the big two issue story, El Morte, but that could be because I absolutely hate zombie media in any form and this just seemed like an out of place weak "ZOMG Zombies!" cash in. Even though yes I get the comparison that's being made between an actual zombie and the Spirit's own deadman walking status. And the media pundit story, Death by Television, was a bit too much on the nose as well. On the upside it's nice to have Ebony White not written from the viewpoint of the 1940s.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

Uh Voodoo Lou may I ask what you liked about Cooke's Spirit? I read it last night, and didn't like it at all. The easy explanation would be to blame that a good chunk of the stores in this volume aren't actually by Cooke. But, I also didn't like the big two issue story, El Morte, but that could be because I absolutely hate zombie media in any form and this just seemed like an out of place weak "ZOMG Zombies!" cash in. Even though yes I get the comparison that's being made between an actual zombie and the Spirit's own deadman walking status. And the media pundit story, Death by Television, was a bit too much on the nose as well. On the upside it's nice to have Ebony White not written from the viewpoint of the 1940s.

I gotta be honest, I barely remember the stories, particularly from the second volume. I was just psyched to discover some new work by Cooke, who I have always loved. He drew a Batman/Spirit one-shot that Jeph Loeb wrote, that was a lot of fun, and that's what tipped me off to this short run. (That one-shot is collected in the first TPB, and it made more of an impact on me than any of the Spirit stories Cooke wrote.) I also appreciated how he updated Ebony.

But for me, most importantly, I got to meet Darwyn Cooke at a convention in 2014. I brought him every TPB and single issue I owned that he drew and/or wrote, and he patiently signed them all and chatted with me and my buddy for a few minutes. Such a nice guy, and really interesting. I'll never forget that, especially since he passed away not long after that -- so young, and arguably still at his creative peak.

I have that book on a shelf behind me, and I don't think I ever read it a second time, or since he signed it for me, but I'm still glad it exists and that I own it. I'm sorry you didn't like it more, but I'm glad I didn't advise you to buy it in the first place, or I would have felt guilty.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
That would probably explain it, I've never read anything by Cooke before (I am not up on current comics/writers/artists at all and definitely not on the ones that are sadly recently passed). A lot of the internet does seem to agree that volume 1 had the better stuff. Hell I may still track down the often mentioned Batman/Spirit one shot in whatever form. It sounds like fun given how both characters are 1940s vigilante detectives: I'm assuming they start out by stepping on each other's toes a whole bunch. And not every recommendation has to be a perfect one.

The Silver Surfer turned out to be good at least, dunno if I liked it enough to get more. Probably will wait and see if I can get a deal for the rest of the paperbacks or go whole hog on the omnibus version at some point. I'm halfway through Vigilante and so far it's managed to suck harder than expected. Too preachy and serious for my tastes, I don't hold out hope that it will pick up any time soon.

Anybody not disappointed in what books they've picked up lately?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Turbinosamente posted:

That would probably explain it, I've never read anything by Cooke before (I am not up on current comics/writers/artists at all and definitely not on the ones that are sadly recently passed). A lot of the internet does seem to agree that volume 1 had the better stuff. Hell I may still track down the often mentioned Batman/Spirit one shot in whatever form. It sounds like fun given how both characters are 1940s vigilante detectives: I'm assuming they start out by stepping on each other's toes a whole bunch. And not every recommendation has to be a perfect one.

The Silver Surfer turned out to be good at least, dunno if I liked it enough to get more. Probably will wait and see if I can get a deal for the rest of the paperbacks or go whole hog on the omnibus version at some point. I'm halfway through Vigilante and so far it's managed to suck harder than expected. Too preachy and serious for my tastes, I don't hold out hope that it will pick up any time soon.

Anybody not disappointed in what books they've picked up lately?

I bought the Tom King Mr.Miracle

It surpassed expectations. Which is saying something.

radlum
May 13, 2013
How do you fix an unglued spine in an omnibus? I got the Duggan/Posehn Deadpool Omnibus, but didn't check online before and now that my copy arrived from Amazon I realized it had serious issue with the spine. ANyone has tried to fix it?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Not sure if this is where I read it, but it seems they put Amazing Spider-Man Epic 1: Great Power back into print:

https://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-EPIC-COLLECTION-TP-GREAT-POWER/JUL140723

I grabbed a copy at my local Barnes & Noble before I realized it was in print again. But at least it shows Disney and Marvel are keeping the epic line constantly in print?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Not sure if this is where I read it, but it seems they put Amazing Spider-Man Epic 1: Great Power back into print:

https://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-EPIC-COLLECTION-TP-GREAT-POWER/JUL140723

I grabbed a copy at my local Barnes & Noble before I realized it was in print again. But at least it shows Disney and Marvel are keeping the epic line constantly in print?

I mean... I wouldn’t use ASM vol 1 as proof that the entire Epic line will always stay in print. It’s evergreen. They have reprinted a few other Epics though, Iron Fist comes to mind.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

radlum posted:

How do you fix an unglued spine in an omnibus? I got the Duggan/Posehn Deadpool Omnibus, but didn't check online before and now that my copy arrived from Amazon I realized it had serious issue with the spine. ANyone has tried to fix it?

Check out youtube. There is a lot of good bookbinding guides and a few of them deal with fixing spines.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What is this and is it worth $100-300?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/312724224/thanos-creator-jim-starlins-dreadstar-omnibus

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dreadstar is fine, but that price is not.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

$100 is standard retail price for an omnibus? Jim Starlin is a pretty important creator as well. But, yeah, Dreadstar never was my jam.

Are they hardcovers? Quick glance so I couldnt tell.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sporklift posted:

$100 is standard retail price for an omnibus? Jim Starlin is a pretty important creator as well. But, yeah, Dreadstar never was my jam.

Are they hardcovers? Quick glance so I couldnt tell.

Did you even bother to read what it is? Literally the third sentence in the description says they're hardcovers.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Endless Mike posted:

Did you even bother to read what it is? Literally the third sentence in the description says they're hardcovers.

Like I said, I gave it a quick glance. On my phone.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The MM hardcover looks amazing.
https://twitter.com/MitchGerads/status/1121751874183495680

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The Definitive Edition of Moonshadow from Dark Horse only has about thirty pages of extras, but is twice as thick as Vertigo's Compleat Moonshadow. What a difference paper weight makes!

This is one of my favorite books and I think it has been out of print for years. Totally double dipped for this one.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 29, 2019

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Uthor posted:

The Definitive Edition of Moonshadow from Dark Horse only has about thirty pages of extras, but is twice as thick as Vertigo's Compleat Moonshadow. What a difference paper weight makes!

This is one of my favorite books and I think it has been out of print for years. Totally double dipped for this one.

I got it too! The Dark Horse singles-height omnibuses are so good, especially considering the price. I just wish they weren't bound so tightly.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Does anyone know what's going on with the Cable & X-Force omnibus? It was supposed to come out today, but pretty much every online retailer now has it listed as unavailable and all of them now provide disparate new release dates.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

JordanKai posted:

Does anyone know what's going on with the Cable & X-Force omnibus? It was supposed to come out today, but pretty much every online retailer now has it listed as unavailable and all of them now provide disparate new release dates.

It came out on July 3.

https://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/CABLE-AND-X-FORCE-OMNIBUS-HC/JAN191084

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I don't think that applies to Europe. Amazon, Wordery, Book Depository, and Abe all had it up for pre-order until today, after which it mysteriously became unavailable on all of them. :(

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I really want that upcoming X-Men Children of the Atom box set that's due in March. Instead of covering a bunch of different arcs from every era it just chronologically goes from Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's X-Men #1 to Uncanny X-Men #143, John Byrne's final issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Has there been any talk about collecting Morrison’s Batman Incorporated run in a volume 3 of his omnibuses? Or should I hold onto the HCs that I have?