Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is genuinely amazing to me how many people utterly brainfail on the Absolute Virtue fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Another cool gatherer tip: You can skirt by with vendor gear for the entire run from 50-60 and not run into any big issues as long as you keep gear updated. This ends very abruptly at 60 though, so either youre going to be paying out the rear end for HQ gear or you just put gathering levels on hold until you start getting your crafters up to 60 as well.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I don't know how someone could ever go back to WoW after playing FFXIV other than "all my friends suck and play WoW"

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Control Volume posted:

e: The commonly recommended crafter level path is everything to 15, CUL to 37, CRP to 50, and then everything else in whatever order.

You can skip getting CRP to 50 in favor of leveling everyone equally to make crafting your own gear more easily (this is what I did) but CUL to 37 unlocks the most useful early game skill, Hasty Touch.

e2: Sorry, level 37 unlocks Steady Hand II. That + Hasty Touch are an extremely important combo since SH2 is a straight upgrade to SH1.
The general path I've always heard was 15 all, CUL to 37 for Steady Hand II, CRP to 50 for Byregot's Blessing, and WVR to 50 for Careful Synthesis II (which is a straight upgrade to Basic Synthesis since it can't fail and is 120% efficiency to Basic's 100%).
After those I kinda like ALC 50 for Comfort Zone and CUL 50 for Reclaim as they're fairly handy for attempting on-level HQ.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Vermain posted:

I'd highly recommend getting CRP to 50 after CUL37 if you have any interest in leveling up your classes through non-Ixali/Moogle/Namazu dailies at all. It's hard to overstate how much easier Byregot's makes HQing, and HQing directly leads to more EXP gains via turnins/leves without having to pay through the nose. It's also good to get at least one class up to 50 so that you can start taking advantage of Moogle dailies and, eventually, Namazu/Deliveries.

As long as you make sure you're crafting your own HQ gear at every level tier, making HQ crafts is pretty simple up to about the low 40s even without Byregot's. With leveled gatherer's, this is both cheaper than buying vendor gear and also avoids having to level a class to 50 with no omnicrafting support.

e: WVR as your second level 50 class is a great choice too since thats what makes the brunt of your own gear.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Another cool gatherer tip: You can skirt by with vendor gear for the entire run from 50-60 and not run into any big issues as long as you keep gear updated. This ends very abruptly at 60 though, so either youre going to be paying out the rear end for HQ gear or you just put gathering levels on hold until you start getting your crafters up to 60 as well.
The latter was my plan. Level everything to 50, then to 60, then to 70.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of cross-classing, gatherers also get abilities from other classes. I can't figure out why though, the botanist and miner ones have no synergy. Am I missing something?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Speaking of cross-classing, gatherers also get abilities from other classes. I can't figure out why though, the botanist and miner ones have no synergy. Am I missing something?
Botanist and Miner can both use the Wards the other lacks because you can gather all flavours of crystals on either one.
And at the barest of minimums, it can be handy to see in-game when an unspoiled node activates while you're on a different class, since Truth of Forests/Mountains is just a toggle.
Not major reasons to cross-class, but it's more than zero.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Control Volume posted:

As long as you make sure you're crafting your own HQ gear at every level tier, making HQ crafts is pretty simple up to about the low 40s even without Byregot's. With leveled gatherer's, this is both cheaper than buying vendor gear and also avoids having to level a class to 50 with no omnicrafting support.

e: WVR as your second level 50 class is a great choice too since thats what makes the brunt of your own gear.

Yeah, as someone who leveled all classes together (they were all within 2-3 levels of one another, except Weaver which was like 7-8 levels higher from 1-50) it's easy enough to HQ everything for that range, so I don't really get the point of specifically grinding a single class up like that. It was a good idea for the skill you get at level 15 and 30 (or 37 or whatever), but I don't see the point of going for the 57 stuff like that.

FactsAreUseless posted:

The latter was my plan. Level everything to 50, then to 60, then to 70.

You won't want to do this 50-70. You'll be wanting to maximize the XP you get from both Moogle and Namazu dailies, which means it's optimal to have one class doing Moogle dailies from 50-60 at the same time as another does Namazu from 60-70. So instead of stopping at 60, you'll want to keep leveling the 60 one using Namazu and Custom Deliveries, since otherwise that potential Namazu/CD xp is going to waste.

For example, right now I'm focusing on Carpenter and Blacksmith; the former is 58 (and doing Moogle dailies + Zhloe Custom Deliveries) and the latter is 68 and doing Namazu dailies + one of the other Custom Deliveries. My Blacksmith did Moogle dailies while my Weaver, which is 70 now, was doing Namazu ones.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

ImpAtom posted:

It is genuinely amazing to me how many people utterly brainfail on the Absolute Virtue fate.

What about the fate do people fail? I haven't seen anything but Ovni in regards to BA yet.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I use all my custom deliveries for 60+ DoH because large-scale leves are opaf for 50-60. You can get a DoH from 50-60 once a week by using your large-scale tradecraft leves if you hand in only or mostly masterwork material.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rainuwastaken posted:

What about the fate do people fail? I haven't seen anything but Ovni in regards to BA yet.

It's the fate that is spawned outside by the inside party.

It has two things that really gently caress people up. One is an AoE that is kind of glitchy if you're standing on a ledge. The other is that it has things that need to be dispelled and nobody thinks to bring dispel to it, *even people who've seen it before.*

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

And never forget GC turn-ins! The exp bonus ones are always worth doing. The normal ones kind of suck rear end, but if youre out of leves, its your only option beyond collectibles which really suck rear end for leveling.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Control Volume posted:

And never forget GC turn-ins! The exp bonus ones are always worth doing. The normal ones kind of suck rear end, but if youre out of leves, its your only option beyond collectibles which really suck rear end for leveling.
I would always rather just gather materials on my own than do leves, because I get to keep the materials.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The Dragoon 50 quest turned out to be a double whammy because not only is it a copy paste of the Monk 50 quest, you also get rewarded with cool looking armor, except it's missing the entire midsection if you're a girl.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Cappy posted:

The Dragoon 50 quest turned out to be a double whammy because not only is it a copy paste of the Monk 50 quest, you also get rewarded with cool looking armor, except it's missing the entire midsection if you're a girl.

the dragoon 50 gear has long been considered the single most dumb thing in a game that otherwise never delves into that kind of thing.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I would always rather just gather materials on my own than do leves, because I get to keep the materials.

I mean for crafting. Crafting leves are your only viable alternative to Ixal quests and GC turnins from 30-50, unless you can find an intermediate craft that sells really quickly that you can grind out for exp/money.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Captain Cappy posted:

Later DRG armor is missing the midsection for both male and female versions, so there's an equal opportunity to have your intestines removed.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Captain Cappy posted:

The 70 armor on the other hand is actually good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Tashilicious posted:

the dragoon 50 gear has long been considered the single most dumb thing in a game that otherwise never delves into that kind of thing.

If the frostbite doesn't get them, they can look forward to being disemboweled by Nidhogg.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

This is a great game.

I can begin a quest at level 55, waste my time completing them, but I can't turn them in and get credit for them for another 3 levels!

Can we get a :yoship: emoji yet?

What quest are you talking about? You shouldn't be able to accept quests below your level.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
If you have the brilliant idea to accept say a level 70 quest and try to turn it in on your level 14 DRG, the game will let you pick up the quest but it won't let you turn it in. The devs considered that you might try to cheat. Cause duh that's like the first idea you'd have with an alt.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I just hit 50 on Miner, what do I do to get a full set of 50 equipment? I got the Forager's Pick on the MB, but it looks like both the level 50 sledgehammers are going to require me to level Blacksmith. I can't find info on armor - I'm not seeing crafter armor sold in Mor Dhona like tools.

What world are you on? If it's Exodus I can craft you some gear sometime.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

And if it's your first job, it's really quite an impressive feat of blinders-on single-minded dedication to the MSQ, to end up underleveled for anything. Even a handful of leveling roulette runs as you go, along with selectively doing only the sidequests that either a. unlock something or b. reward gear upgrades, should leave a player at least slightly overleveled.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zack Ater posted:

What world are you on? If it's Exodus I can craft you some gear sometime.
Zalera

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I haven't played FFXIV in awhile and was wondering if anyone had a single target DPS rotation for machinist? My character is level 60. The guides I am finding are outdated.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Vil posted:

And if it's your first job, it's really quite an impressive feat of blinders-on single-minded dedication to the MSQ, to end up underleveled for anything. Even a handful of leveling roulette runs as you go, along with selectively doing only the sidequests that either a. unlock something or b. reward gear upgrades, should leave a player at least slightly overleveled.

The complete gap in the ARR main story between 46 and 49 is pretty fresh in my mind tbh, there were so many pacing problems in the whole latter half of that quest chain. I think I had to start doing leveling roulette for every level between 43 and 49, but then shot up to 52 almost immediately after I hit 49 because of all the MSQ exp at the end.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Woo! Omega M/F down! Only one more to go!

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Ah. Sorry :(

BrightWing posted:

Woo! Omega M/F down! Only one more to go!

Grats! You can do it!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I haven't played FFXIV in awhile and was wondering if anyone had a single target DPS rotation for machinist? My character is level 60. The guides I am finding are outdated.
At 60 it's still pretty easy. This is what I was doing, IIRC:

Rook, Hot Shot (if you start with 0 ammo), Reload, Split, Slug, Split, Hot Shot (if you started with three), Reassemble, Quick Draw or w/e it's called, Hypercharge, Wildfire, Clean, Gauss Round, Quick Reload, Slug, Ricochet, Clean, and then you just fish for procs for the remainder of Wildfire and until you have Reload again. Then you focus on Split/Slug/Clean until you get Reassemble/Quick Draw/Wildfire back. You'll use Hypercharge every second time. This is assuming you're fighting something that can survive long enough to use Wildfire on in the first place. You have to be more flexible about it when you're in a dungeon and especially while soloing.

Once you level up a bit more you won't have to fish for procs at the end of Wildfire because you'll have Cooldown.
It's cool, I like being on a smaller server.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I just got back into this game after being away for a while. I have an ilvl 371 Astrologian and I am very interested in doing the high end savage and extreme content.

Are any of the SA free companies doing that? Are they recruiting?

Halp.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Benson Cunningham posted:

I just got back into this game after being away for a while. I have an ilvl 371 Astrologian and I am very interested in doing the high end savage and extreme content.

Are any of the SA free companies doing that? Are they recruiting?

Halp.

Join the discord! There's often people recruiting or trying to find stand-ins for savage/endgame stuff.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

This is a great game.

I can begin a quest at level 55, waste my time completing them, but I can't turn them in and get credit for them for another 3 levels!

Can we get a :yoship: emoji yet?

Youve been playing for a month. You already want an emote to better complain about the devs. Half of your posts in this thread are complaints. Somehow you already have a level 70 class and are grinding gathering.

Are you doing a speedrun to become a jaded vet or something

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

loving done! I don't have to touch Eureka ever again!

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
hi guys I'm sorry in advance

What do you call Gridanian political polls?
Opo-opo Research

Why did the warrior of light go to jail?
Y'shtola scion's handbag

What does an airship pilot say when he discovers a new world?
Eureka!

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Fat and Useless posted:

TLDR: Its Eureka chat but with a guy way too mad at your old pal Hoary Boulder.

Just chiming in to say I’m a big fan of yours, I’ve seen you around in Eureka and your presence literally always makes me smile and laugh. I’m L’appel Duvide on Ultros, if that rings any Eureka bells.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Control Volume posted:

:shrug:

working fine for me so far with just nq vendor gear plus the 60 accessories from scrips

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Gyah!! fishing!!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i'm doing the same with the other two and it's working okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Its extremely possible that Im just experiencing shock from going directly from easy HW nodes to SB nodes that are kicking my rear end