Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Feels like the CO2 emissions from units could be a thing that should be modded out. That doesn't seem reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
It's not totally out of left field.

On my phone so cba to "check" my "facts", but I'm fairly sure I saw some articles recently about the US military being one of America's largest polluters.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Ripper Swarm posted:

It's not totally out of left field.

On my phone so cba to "check" my "facts", but I'm fairly sure I saw some articles recently about the US military being one of America's largest polluters.

I don't think that that's restricted to emissions, though. They were responsible for several Superfund sites, and plenty of others happened as a result of civilian contractors (e.g. radium-painted products like compasses and wristwatches).

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

To be fair World War II was a cataclysmic ecological disaster and that was only over a 6+ year span. It also remains the only real example of widespread warfare using modern weaponry (you could also argue WWI was fought with "modern weaponry", but the war had already ended by the time all those military innovations really started to get into gear, but I digress). Whereas in any properly played Civ game the entire world will be in constant warfare from Industrial to Info era one way or the other.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

sincx posted:

Maori is so overpowered, holy poo poo.

Also these are some interestingly-shaped flood barriers.

more like wangaroa right guys

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Gyshall posted:

more like wangaroa right guys

Micropenisa.

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

AG3 posted:

Micropenisa.

The Bobbitt Archipelago

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

sincx posted:

Yeah I built zero coal or oil power plants in my last playthrough and still caused a bunch of sea level increases due to coal and oil consuming units.

Which doesn't seem right, because in real life even a gigantic fleet of ships produces no where near the CO2 of a single fossil fuel power plant.

Individual ships maybe, but if you assume they're factoring in all the support infrastructure, like getting the fuel there, then it makes sense. US military emits more carbon then Britain.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

florida lan posted:

Dong Island 2 rises.

How long into V's lifecycle did we get Dong Island? Are we behind schedule?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Apparently pillaging is the new chopping; some nice yields from mid to late game pillages. Can be buffed via policy card too.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

The Human Crouton posted:

How long into V's lifecycle did we get Dong Island? Are we behind schedule?

Pretty sure it was pre GNK

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

sincx posted:

Maori is so overpowered, holy poo poo.
I hit a golden age right after knocking out another civ that left me with free reign to settle a huge chunk of a continent laden with flood plains and woods/rain forests and one of the options was "buy civilian units with faith" :getin:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
hungary is absurdly broken too. I've never felt bad for the AI before

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Playing my first game with Rise and Fall and the AI will declare a surprise war, and then not fight after the first wave. Shaka stayed at war, with his warrior and frigate lineup and didn't do poo poo for ages. Also wouldn't make peace without having to pay him.

Also the AI proposing trades with nothing from me and saying they can't accept it. Although I found that when they do that, they'll usually have 5g or something there and they'll take 1g for it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The wiki has the new leaders' bios, and I'm disappointed Firaxis pointedly refused to call Kristina gay, lesbian, or homosexual. Her 'sexual identity' is referred to a couple of times, but that's it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Cythereal posted:

The wiki has the new leaders' bios, and I'm disappointed Firaxis pointedly refused to call Kristina gay, lesbian, or homosexual. Her 'sexual identity' is referred to a couple of times, but that's it.

She's definitely a transbian

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Fleetwood Crack posted:

1. https://discord.gg/aNGrvYg
2. https://discord.gg/rbn9wk9

I've actually been playing games in #2, but there's lots of healthy discussion in #1

Thanks for this.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Tahirovic posted:

There is a mod that increase the sea level rise by 50/75/100% in the workshop, but I was actually looking for one that disables it because it seems unfun and pointless.

It's hilarious when you have no tiles affected and you're purposefully causing climate change to own everyone - ala the Putin strategy.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 23, 2021

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The limited amount of resource spots is interesting. It encourages conquest. But in practice it'll probably be tedious.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Oh my god is there a mod for getting other civs to stop asking for certain things? I did not spend this many envoys keeping Babylon out of everyone elses grubby mitts just to give away all my books. :mad:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Caidin posted:

Oh my god is there a mod for getting other civs to stop asking for certain things? I did not spend this many envoys keeping Babylon out of everyone elses grubby mitts just to give away all my books. :mad:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1660056307&searchtext=

I havent tested this yet but I hope to god it works

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

petra + mali + the city state that lets you build alcazars is good

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Cythereal posted:

the love of her life was a man but ok

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Prav posted:

the love of her life was a man but ok

Huh. Never heard of that before in anything I've read about her.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

President Ark posted:

petra + mali + the city state that lets you build alcazars is good

Mali loves city states with improvements that can be built on flat desert. Nazca is great.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Dying Light is apparently on sale. Is it worth picking up for $13-$17?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can't believe no one has made any mods making nuclear power less crazy and played with the climate change systems a bit. If this was Stellaris there'd have been like 5 day-1 balance mods.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
There's a mod that allows you to deconstruct older powerplants now.

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!
The single player AI is too broken to balance.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Baronjutter posted:

I can't believe no one has made any mods making nuclear power less crazy and played with the climate change systems a bit. If this was Stellaris there'd have been like 5 day-1 balance mods.

Perhaps this helps you appreciate how much the Paradox people work together with the modder community. It's not surprising, of course, since prominent goon modders like Wiz and Ofaloaf joined their ranks.

In contrast, the best Civ for modding purposes was Civ 4 (of course). Most of the older mainstream developers are not exactly knows for their love of modders and mods.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

civ6 is plenty moddable it's just a hassle since you're writing SQL inside XML for some ungodly reason

the reason no one bothers is that it's not a very good game

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i ahvent really gotten my teeth into civ 6 yet - my memory is that in 5 you can spam settlers and build an empire fairly quickly, but it feels like in 6 early expansion makes your new cities slow as poo poo to build anything. am i just not used to the new calculus?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

bump_fn posted:

i ahvent really gotten my teeth into civ 6 yet - my memory is that in 5 you can spam settlers and build an empire fairly quickly, but it feels like in 6 early expansion makes your new cities slow as poo poo to build anything. am i just not used to the new calculus?

Building is generally pretty slow in VI. Gather up that good land because you're going to build slowly anyway.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

bump_fn posted:

I found the biggest adjustment from going from Five to vanilla Six is realizing that food is passe, and production is almost everything. Housing caps ruin food-based cities, while district costs are only getting higher.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

There's lots of mods out there for Civ 6, just nothing that makes that particular adjustment yet it seems. The nuclear power plant seems like you'd need to tear out the current nuclear plant and replace it by one that's identical but has a different name in the code most likely, based on what I've seen in the database.

bump_fn posted:

The key to building quickly is to chop down forests and harvest stone and such to boost your production.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 20, 2019

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
yeah also that more than 4 cities is a viable strat

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Yeah, in civ 6 wide is the only strat. They've tried to make tall better in each expansion and each time failed. Tall is simply not competitive so you need to get 10+ cities in most games. As a result, food is not super valuable anymore, as others have noted. Of course, it is ideal to make your cities in your wide empire as tall as possible, but that was always the case, even in civ 5 provided you could keep them happy/healthy.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Has anyone found a way to make the AI actually do start some wars, or really do anything from the industrial age onward? I play on standard size map, 8 players, immortal; and every game I've ever played has always been everyone just chilling out and signing alliances with me for the last 100 turns. What setting do I have to use to get any kind of late game activity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CompeAnansi posted:

Yeah, in civ 6 wide is the only strat. They've tried to make tall better in each expansion and each time failed. Tall is simply not competitive so you need to get 10+ cities in most games. As a result, food is not super valuable anymore, as others have noted. Of course, it is ideal to make your cities in your wide empire as tall as possible, but that was always the case, even in civ 5 provided you could keep them happy/healthy.

"Need" is a bit of an overstatement. If you're just playing vs. the AI 5-6 cities is generally plenty, although you might be in trouble if Korea is around. More is definitely better though.