Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Any recommendations for a place to shop for a ring holder necklace for men? Or some other ring stowing solution? I basically need to take my ring off fairly frequently and I know I'll lose it if I just stash it in my pocket. Most of the stuff I can find online are for women. Looking for a metal necklace. I'm willing to spend a few hundred if it's a nice material/craftsmanship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Get a necklace with a little platinum carabiner for easy ring stowing

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

bamhand posted:

Any recommendations for a place to shop for a ring holder necklace for men? Or some other ring stowing solution? I basically need to take my ring off fairly frequently and I know I'll lose it if I just stash it in my pocket. Most of the stuff I can find online are for women. Looking for a metal necklace. I'm willing to spend a few hundred if it's a nice material/craftsmanship.

Get a silicone ring and keep the metal ring stashed for nicer occasions?
https://thewirecutter.com/blog/what-are-silicone-rings/

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Snowy posted:

Get a necklace with a little platinum carabiner for easy ring stowing

Yeah that's what I'm leaning toward. Just hard finding a specific place to get one. Most of my searches are like one offs sold by various places without much choice or comparison.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Why not just go to a jeweler and get a simple silver/gold chain necklace? They come in numerous styles (you can even pretend you’re Mr T for a moment)

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

I was at a friend’s house who had a clapper, and it kept turning the light on and off whenever laughter or music hit the right crescendo... it was hilarious, but super lovely at the same time

bamhand posted:

Is there a specific thread for mattresses or would I look for recommendations here? Trying to decide between latex, memory foam or some kind of hybrid. And also if there's a big difference between say a 400 dollar Zinus memory foam mattress vs a 1200 one or 400 dollar latex hybrid vs 1200 all latex.

Nope! You’re pretty much hosed whatever you do as far as mattress shopping goes :D

https://youtu.be/k1-PXROyhm0

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

Nope! You’re pretty much hosed whatever you do as far as mattress shopping goes :D

https://youtu.be/k1-PXROyhm0

Fair enough! We're actually looking at a $420 dollar mattress from Amazon so ... it won't be super expensive at least!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
sounds like it'll be pretty nice

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm looking for backpacks that have a flat bottom and no laptop sleeve, maybe a tablet sleeve? Any suggestions? I've been looking at North Face and Patagonia, but haven't seen anything I liked.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I use the weight sleeve in my Goruck Bullet for my tablet. Best drat backpack I have ever owned.

https://www.goruck.com/bullet-ruck/

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Dicty Brojangles posted:

I use the weight sleeve in my Goruck Bullet for my tablet. Best drat backpack I have ever owned.

https://www.goruck.com/bullet-ruck/

Awesome. Thanks for the suggestion.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm traveling overseas for the first time in... a long time.

What's the deal with power adapters these days?

I'm going to four countries in Europe And just need to charge my phone and Switch, both from USB.
Also a backup battery or two since I'll be walking A LOT.

Any brands I need to avoid?

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 07:16 on Mar 4, 2019

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I'm looking for the name of a product. We have a wooden chair that has little rubber/plastic tips on the bottom of each leg to help protect the floor. One of the tips have fallen off, what do I search for to look for a replacement? Chair tips and various other terms get me a sleeve/shoe you put on the entire bottom of the chair leg. I'm looking for a smaller thing that I can either glue, screw, or nail into the bottom of the leg that is smaller in radiu than the leg itself.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

bamhand posted:

I'm looking for the name of a product. We have a wooden chair that has little rubber/plastic tips on the bottom of each leg to help protect the floor. One of the tips have fallen off, what do I search for to look for a replacement? Chair tips and various other terms get me a sleeve/shoe you put on the entire bottom of the chair leg. I'm looking for a smaller thing that I can either glue, screw, or nail into the bottom of the leg that is smaller in radiu than the leg itself.

Furniture sliders. You can find them at pretty much any grocery, big box or hardware store.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

bamhand posted:

This is felt with an adhesive backing: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Self-Stick-1-Inch-6-Pack/dp/B001QCXXV4

What I've always used anyway.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looking for suggestions for some new shoes.

I usually wear tennis shoes but looking for something a little more durable. 99% of my co-workers wear tennis shoes, Air Force Ones, Ultra Boosts, Converses etc. I spend 90% of my time at work moving around boxes or standing. I have pretty flat feet and they're a bit wide too. I don't know if I need some crazy support shoe. Any suggestions?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Inzombiac posted:

I'm traveling overseas for the first time in... a long time.

What's the deal with power adapters these days?

I'm going to four countries in Europe And just need to charge my phone and Switch, both from USB.
Also a backup battery or two since I'll be walking A LOT.

Any brands I need to avoid?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E7P7UHK/
(or similar, cheapish is fine here)
+
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077D324QB/
(This is great and has a USB-C for your Switch)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LRQDAEI/
This battery backup is awesome but it’s pretty heavy to haul around in a backpack all day. If you need something to play Switch for all of an 8 hour flight it’s your guy. If you need emergency power for your phone gps while exploring the European countryside, find something lighter.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Recs for earplugs of the "protect ears from damage at loud concerts" type? Is there another word for that?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Organza Quiz posted:

Recs for earplugs of the "protect ears from damage at loud concerts" type? Is there another word for that?

Etymotics are good and pretty cheap

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Snowy posted:

Etymotics are good and pretty cheap

I used a pair of Earasers before I got customs made. They're soft and comfortable and block just enough audio to take the hurt away, but they allow a lot more of the highs in than the flanged earplugs like etymotics. They were my favorites until I splurged on custom plugs.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004
I went back a year and couldn't find a recommendation in this thread but I am looking for a ~$80 GAMING HEADSET that can be worn for up to 4 hours/day for PC, can be analog or usb.
Thanks!!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Gallatin posted:

I went back a year and couldn't find a recommendation in this thread but I am looking for a ~$80 GAMING HEADSET that can be worn for up to 4 hours/day for PC, can be analog or usb.
Thanks!!

If you're willing to crank the budget up a bit, these Massdrop x Sennheiser ones consistently get good reviews

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Gallatin posted:

Thanks!!

The most comfortable gaming headset I've ever used for long session use is the Steelseries Arctis line, all of which use the same design in terms of comfort. Rather than using rails for adjusting the height of the cups, the height is adjusted by changing the length of a strap that goes over the top of your head, which serves as a means of padding while ensuring that the cups never drift from their position. The cups themselves use standard circumaural pads so they can be replaced by whatever you feel like. The software and other stuff about them are good too, and you can get the Arctis 3 for under 80 bucks.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

I carry Ear Peace around with me, though the case lost its bottom section where the tighter inserts were stored. They still feel to me (well, all the ones I've tried do) like having your fingers jabbed in your ears, but while I have to shout to be heard by the bartender I can hear them well so something's working. The Etymotics though look to be cheaper, and I bet they work well as well.

Is there a consensus on men's fancy underwear like Meundies and Uniqlo and Saxx? Is that even possible? I want to stop wearing swamp-rear end cotton and all my boxer briefs are from when I weighed a little more so they suck that much more.

(I'm going to search the PYF purchases thread now, this thread made the most sense to post in but I probably should have searched first.) :dogcited:

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Oddhair posted:

Is there a consensus on men's fancy underwear like Meundies and Uniqlo and Saxx? Is that even possible? I want to stop wearing swamp-rear end cotton and all my boxer briefs are from when I weighed a little more so they suck that much more.

Get a pair of Uniqlo Airism and see how you feel about them. I've tried the others and they all performed about the same when it came to swamp-rear end prevention (assuming you pick the models that are meant for that). For all the others, you basically are spending more for nicer fabric feel and increased ballsack space. So if you don't like Uniqlo, take a step up to ExOfficio Give-n-Go, and if your don't like those Saxx/Tommy John.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I enjoy my MeUndies and their fun prints. But you can’t go wrong with any of the suggestions

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I love most of my MeUndies, but their QA could use improvements. I haven't made a purchase in over a year, though, after turning over my drawer with their subscription model.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

So I picked up DMC5 on PC but my controller is on it's last legs, so I'm in the market for a new one. I definitely have a preference for the Playstation style controllers; my previous controller is actually a PS3 controller using that xinput thing to convert it to be read as an xbox controller but that occasionally causes me issues so it'd be nice for something to work natively or even with actual device drivers if needed. I will say that I'm not a big fan of the way the l2/r2 buttons are triggers with a deep press nowadays, so something with just standard buttons would be better if possible but that's also not a huge deal. Also I have larger / fatter hands so bigger is better than smaller, but unless it's rinky dinky I don't think it'll make too much of a difference.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Garrand posted:

So I picked up DMC5 on PC but my controller is on it's last legs, so I'm in the market for a new one. I definitely have a preference for the Playstation style controllers; my previous controller is actually a PS3 controller using that xinput thing to convert it to be read as an xbox controller but that occasionally causes me issues so it'd be nice for something to work natively or even with actual device drivers if needed. I will say that I'm not a big fan of the way the l2/r2 buttons are triggers with a deep press nowadays, so something with just standard buttons would be better if possible but that's also not a huge deal. Also I have larger / fatter hands so bigger is better than smaller, but unless it's rinky dinky I don't think it'll make too much of a difference.

I suggest you grab a DS4 and try to get over your trigger concerns. It’s the best controller I’ve ever held and afaik works easy and great on computer. Seriously it’s so comfy for big hands.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I suggest you grab a DS4 and try to get over your trigger concerns. It’s the best controller I’ve ever held and afaik works easy and great on computer. Seriously it’s so comfy for big hands.

I think I'll just go ahead and do that. I grew up on all the playstations and those controllers are what feel best for me, I'll continue on the tradition. Thanks!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Garrand posted:

I think I'll just go ahead and do that. I grew up on all the playstations and those controllers are what feel best for me, I'll continue on the tradition. Thanks!

It’s basically the familiar feel and layout but finally with a nice size and great ergonomics. The triggers are much better than the DS3’s by the way. Those were strangely mushy and shaped weird. The DS4 has a very smooth controllable trigger style that feels crisp for a lack of a better word. I hope you like it!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

The only problem with the ds4 is that its battery life sucks.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

Underwear chat:
I don’t see many mentions of Pair of Thieves, but my latest comfy undie quest ended with those. I like them.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What are the good sites for Chinese mailorder prescription eyeglasses? I thought it was discussed here recently but haven’t found it.

Someone suggested a place where the prices start around $20 but you should spring for anti glare.

E- nm, found it in the AliExpress thread, it was Zennioptical btw.

Snowy has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Mar 22, 2019

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

I bought myself a pair of these as a blind purchase and they've been consistently fantastic to wear while hiking. Did a two day hike without breaking them in and had zero issues. They're waterproof and super breathable to the point that my feet actually started to feel a little chilly once I'd finished hiking for the day due to the sweat evaporating. The vibram soles haven't slipped yet and give me a nice amount of cushioning. I did get a couple of hot spots on my heels on my last hike, but that's because I didn't lace them properly.

These are probably going to be the only boots I'll keep buying because of how comfortable I find them. They also get discounted frequently. I recently got a coupon code for 20% off.

https://www.altaigear.com/shop/

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Ok, weird request, but I'm looking for a figurine or a decoration that will just poo poo gold glitter on everything it touches. I used to have this reindeer https://www.amazon.co.uk/Standing-Glitter-Reindeer-Christmas-Decoration/dp/B077WFTTLB

It worked great for a the Christmas season but I'd like something seasonal for Spring.

Also has to be non-religious and middle school appropriate.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

1redflag posted:

The only problem with the ds4 is that its battery life sucks.

If it's being used on a PC it'll problem be plugged in, but yeah, it's atrocious.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Grem posted:

Ok, weird request, but I'm looking for a figurine or a decoration that will just poo poo gold glitter on everything it touches. I used to have this reindeer https://www.amazon.co.uk/Standing-Glitter-Reindeer-Christmas-Decoration/dp/B077WFTTLB

It worked great for a the Christmas season but I'd like something seasonal for Spring.

Also has to be non-religious and middle school appropriate.

Maneki Neko!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beckoning-LUCKY-CAT-Collectible-Maneki-Neko-Gold-8-5-Mechanical-Works-Japan-/223460871495?nav=SEARCH

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm really tempted to bite the bullet and finally get a PS4. I'm thinking of going with a regular one because my tv is old.

Aside from Spiderman and RDR2, what else should I look at as far as exclusives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Will the gold come off if lightly touched? That's what I'm going after.