Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Godholio posted:

I'm hoping it's this.

It is don't worry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
You filthy cash fuckpig. Doing cyber roleplay while touching filthy winxp boxes. You make everyone sick

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
We’re the best at the cyber.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
My AF computer takes almost two minutes to boot and become useful. Unless I'm trying to load anything via the internet, then basic webpage load times range from 5 seconds to 3 minutes.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You filthy cash fuckpig. Doing cyber roleplay while touching filthy winxp boxes. You make everyone sick

windows 10 boxes, (lets be honest it's worse than XP)

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Godholio posted:

My AF computer takes almost two minutes to boot and become useful. Unless I'm trying to load anything via the internet, then basic webpage load times range from 5 seconds to 3 minutes.

It's kinda refreshing to hear the entire government is like this.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Godholio posted:

I can tell you right now that it's because of the type of McAfee the AF\Gov't uses

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
My Navy computer takes significantly longer than 2 minutes. This is on me for being in, though

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Tythas posted:

I can tell you right now that it's because of the type of McAfee the AF\Gov't uses

Not mil but at work, computer fans spinning up for McAfee is known as “loving John is snorting my CPUs again”.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Not mil but at work, computer fans spinning up for McAfee is known as “loving John is snorting my CPUs again”.

Shooting that guy in the face is only like the second or third worst thing John McAfee has ever done.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

maffew buildings posted:

My Navy computer takes significantly longer than 2 minutes. This is on me for being in, though

I work directly for NMCI and my company machine for home (that i literally never use) works well. HOWEVER my office only has a NIPR connection and I have to use a NMCI Navy machine for work. Every morning I waste over an hour restarting for updates before i can i can check my email. We beg for new machines but most likely it's the loving image.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 23, 2019

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My company: The standard IT build now has SSDs!*

*It also has McAfee and whole disk encryption so it's slower than your mom's spyware addled desktop

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

John McAfee the person is my spirit animal. Hi there bath salts, I’ve got this.

Hearing about yourself on the news is pro tier loving up

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
For all the "security", a recent audit said most DoD computers are incredibly insecure.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Tythas posted:

I pretty much assumed that whatever security methods they go with are the stupidest possible option. I won't even try using an NMCI computer that I haven't logged onto before unless I have 30+ minutes that I can throw away.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

For all the "security", a recent audit said most DoD computers are incredibly insecure.
Don't get me started, Funfact cortana is still semi enabled on all the win 10 machines

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Tythas posted:

That's actually what I figured.

maffew buildings posted:

NMCI is absolutely stunning at how lovely everything they touch is. I can't imagine there being a single agency worse at it. They are the Pakleds of computers. Edit: Sorry crabman

LingcodKilla posted:

I work directly for NMCI and my company machine for home (that i literally never use) works well. HOWEVER my office only has a NIPR connection and I have to use a NMCI Navy machine for work. Every morning I waste over an hour restarting for updates before i can i can check my email. We beg for new machines but most likely it's the loving image.

The best thing is how new computers are imaged off old computers. :downs:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tythas posted:

Don't get me started, Funfact cortana is still semi enabled on all the win 10 machines

That's not changing, Cortana is incredibly difficult to completely remove, even for an enterprise image.

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt

mllaneza posted:

That's not changing, Cortana is incredibly difficult to completely remove, even for an enterprise image.

We use the Windows 10 LTSB build at work and it doesn't have any Cortana, app store, etc. bullshit - it's not even possible to install it. It also has 10-year support so we won't have to worry about a new image until 2026

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

goatsestretchgoals posted:

John McAfee the person is my spirit animal. Hi there bath salts, I’ve got this.

Hearing about yourself on the news is pro tier loving up

Here’s the Mcaffee interview you need: https://youtu.be/tfe4Fjf3sds

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
If y'all use Windows 10, check this poo poo out.

Removes like 99% of Windows bloat and telemetry fuckery. Read the documentation, works straight from Windows ISE.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Windows 10 has been great, the Windows Linux subsystem is awesome, and the upcoming sandbox system is going to be even better.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Lots of talk about McAfee without mention of his whale loving

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Failed attempts at whale loving.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
*in annoying idiot voice* Just use Linux

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Woof Blitzer posted:

*in annoying idiot voice* Just use Linux

The only thing worse than military/classified windows systems are military/classified *nix systems. gently caress hp/ux forever. Also solaris.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

As much as I bitch about our Linux systems, I'm glad I'm not one of the poor schmucks stuck with Solaris.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Lots of talk about McAfee without mention of his whale loving

Did he eat his own dick over bitcoin's number go down yet

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Tythas posted:

Noticed McAfee eating all the CPU time on a laptop that never did before. Dropped in a ticket.

Turns out the DLP they enabled the previous restart was 100% incompatible with the way Outlook was configured. Almost like they just test this poo poo live.

A week later they installed another DLP suite that gets in a slap fight with McAfee every hour.

The best way to prevent data loss is to make me never turn on the machine I guess.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Our systems are so secure even we can't use them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

Did he eat his own dick over bitcoin's number go down yet

He backs off that in the interview I posted.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Godholio posted:

Our systems are so secure even we can't use them.

Working as intended?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Sounds like some Bill the Galactic Hero poo poo.

Which should replace Starship Troopers on every single military reading list in existence.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

"Working as intended" This must be a code phrase for Pay us to unfuck our mistake in our code. Those are the real idiots.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Sounds like all our cyber warriors need to innovate the new paradigm while 3D printing secure source solutions.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

nullscan posted:

Sounds like all our cyber warriors need to innovate the new paradigm while 3D printing secure source solutions.

You forgot blockchain.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

stinkypete posted:

"Working as intended" This must be a code phrase for Pay us to unfuck our mistake in our code. Those are the real idiots.

Oh, absolutely. The primary purpose of any large contracted software system is to help secure further contracts. A system which functioned perfectly would be suboptimal, since it wouldn't require a maintenance contract.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Our flight bought a 3d printer with "innovation" funds. Pretty sure it hasn't been used for anything useful this far.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I can’t believe nobody made any dicks yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Shooting that guy in the face is only like the second or third worst thing John McAfee has ever done.

Where does paying his Belizean housekeeper to poo poo in his mouth rank?