Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
:siren:AUSGOONS:siren:

Big W has 2DSXL's for only :siren:$99AUD:siren:

That's right, not the old model, the XL's. Black/Turquoise or White/Orange.

Stock seems to just be cleanup on whatever's left floating around stores, so check the Big W page listing here and give your postcode a try I guess.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Sudden Javelin posted:

Jivjov posting about games being tied to your NNID in 2019...what a warm nostalgic feeling, like finding an old jacket in the back of the closet

A jacket with $20 in the pocket. Cause I'm worth cash money

night slime
May 14, 2014

jivjov posted:

That's exactly as easy as it's always been (at least as long as the NNID has been around) The horror stories of "if you lose your 3DS, you lose all your games forever" have never been true.

I got gaslighted...

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Will I be able to keep DLC I bought and saves if I am transferring things to a new 2DS XL? I want to shift things over, but I am nervous about it. I will be using the same SD card.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Aerofallosov posted:

Will I be able to keep DLC I bought and saves if I am transferring things to a new 2DS XL? I want to shift things over, but I am nervous about it. I will be using the same SD card.

Yeah. Saves will transfer over. I've got saves on games on my current New 3DS dating back from my OG 3DS from launch day 2011.

Your Animal Crossing village will be fine.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
... I was actually worried about my village ...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Aerofallosov posted:

... I was actually worried about my village ...
You can also back up any saves for digital games you've purchased through Data Management (iirc) in the Settings menu, just to be safe.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

elf help book posted:

I played 7 first on 3DS and loved it, and hearing peoples complaints afterwards, it seems like the various things added to guide the player along helped it a lot.

I played 7 when it first came out in 2000 and it was an impenetrable wall of weirdness so severe it took me years before I would play another mainline DQ game. Loved Rocket Slime and Dragon Warrior Monsters tho

I need to pick up DQ11 but I'm waiting for the Switch version.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn is out, it's still good, except for the part where you can't play as Blue Kirby with Eyebrows anymore.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Played through and finished Etrian Odyssey Untold 1 recently. Nice to play an old school type of game for a change.

Does the mapping become more interesting as the series progresses? I mean...like Wizardry/Bards Tale type stuff. Spinners, darkness, that sort of thing.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This is a longshot but I was at gamestop to pick up DMCV and was thrilled to find Rocket Slime for the DS just sitting in a case so I bought it too. Great memories of it.

Got real sick so decided to not play DMC but instead funny slime game and uh... I pop it into my New 3DS XL and it's not showing up on the menu screen. Am I a huge dingus and it can't play DS games or something? I can't find anything saying otherwise and I'm actually kinda upset as I wanted to play it super bad :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It should definitely be able to play DS games. Try cleaning the cart maybe? Might just be a dead cart

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It should definitely be able to play DS games. Try cleaning the cart maybe? Might just be a dead cart

I'm going to be so upset if it's just a dead cart. I was losing my mind that I actually stumbled onto a copy :sigh:

E: Yeah just tried cleaning it and nothing. I'm so bummed out right now.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 8, 2019

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Waltzing Along posted:

Played through and finished Etrian Odyssey Untold 1 recently. Nice to play an old school type of game for a change.

Does the mapping become more interesting as the series progresses? I mean...like Wizardry/Bards Tale type stuff. Spinners, darkness, that sort of thing.

Yeah, the gimmicks get more complex as the series progresses. Untold is a remake of the first game so it keeps things fairly simple. EO3 for instance has spinners and pits to lower levels in mapless areas in the postgame stratum.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm going to be so upset if it's just a dead cart. I was losing my mind that I actually stumbled onto a copy :sigh:

E: Yeah just tried cleaning it and nothing. I'm so bummed out right now.

It can play DS games but I've found it to be...touchier, than an actual DS. I have a couple old pokemon games that have to be inserted just so to be recognized by the 3DS, but have 0 issues on my DS Lite

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

It also could be a pirate cart.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Maybe try sliding a folded piece of paper in with the cart's label side? Might help the contacts make the connection.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Meant to post this earlier but stopped by a clinic as I'm getting pretty sick and fiddled around with it in the waiting room (was taking it back for a refund)

Dunno why but popped it in and it just started working as if nothing was wrong so I'm back around to being happy :). Maybe the cleaning did more than I thought or maybe it really was just being a pain. Really glad I decided to try one more time regardless though.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I got the impression that the DS games take a second to load/be recognized.

I popped in Dual Strikes the other day, and it didn't seem to work for a long while then it was recognized and even starting it up took longer than I would've expected. My DS Lite ran much sooner. That said, BOY the screens on the DS Lite are tiny and not well-lit. Phones, the 3DS, and the Switch have broken me.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Funny enough I remember the GBA slot on the DS Lite behaving the same way. Damned thing never wanted to recognize my Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories cart.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons

If you want a Chibi Robo amiibo with a bad game packed in, JB Hi-Fi's now tossing the Chibi Robo Zip Lash Amiibo edition in the clearance bins for $5AUD.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Just crashing into this thread to announce: Theatrhythm still owns

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Does anyone still play online? I am terrible at vs mode but still love it.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Kyoujin posted:

Does anyone still play online? I am terrible at vs mode but still love it.

I had trouble getting an online match back when the DLC packs were being finished up, so I reckon it's deader than dead by now :(.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hi, just wanted to say Rocket Slime was a lot simpler than I remember it being years ago (and I already remembered it being pretty breezy) but I still had fun with it again and thanks thread for helping me not give up on the dang thing :)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/25/18280594/new-nintendo-switch-models-e3-wsj

Wall Street Journal says the handheld switch won't have detachable joycons and it appears HD Rumble isn't being used at all so that's being scrapped as well.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Wall Street Journal via Polygon could only be worse if Forbes was somehow involved

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oh my god what if it was kotaku too can you imagine!?!?!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I would buy a handheld only switch if it was like $200 and really small

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

an actual dog posted:

I would buy a handheld only switch if it was like $200 and really small

Can it fold over like the 3DS so I can not buy a case

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Super No Vacancy posted:

oh my god what if it was kotaku too can you imagine!?!?!

I actually can't imagine that because they wonder aloud why those others keep saying Nintendo is doomed and needs new hardware asap

night slime
May 14, 2014
Nintendo buying into the "upgrade every 2 years" phone model is kind of funny because I thought people just stopped doing that recently. Wii U time

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Heath posted:

Can it fold over like the 3DS so I can not buy a case

probably not just go case free live a little

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

night slime posted:

Nintendo buying into the "upgrade every 2 years" phone model is kind of funny because I thought people just stopped doing that recently. Wii U time

They never stopped. The DS got 10 versions, counting the 3DS family. Wii U didn't get more models because it was a complete failure.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Oh yeah I guess that's kind of true, what with the Wii having a Gamecube-less version and the red internet-less one. Still curious about how current owners will react.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Depends 100% on if it launches with games for “new switch” only or not, but my bet is it won’t if it’s coinciding with the launch of a cheap version

It’ll just be PS4 vs Pro again

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
My wife wants a Switch, so if they release a portable only one, I'll get that for her. Or if they release a "Pro" version I'll get that for myself and give her my OG model.

night slime
May 14, 2014
I thought maybe the enhanced Switch would have exclusive games like the New 3DS but I remembered they did Xenoblade, like 20 SNES games and then stopped.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If they design it in a manner where games simply run better on the new version then it'd be fine.

I rally wish Nintendo had've gone back and patched some of their older games with New 3DS support, there are a lot of games that would have really benefited from 60FPS or even just a locked framerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

"Switch" would be a bad name for a portable only thing, though.