Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I do have to caution both myself and my fellow goons that there is an important corollary to any complaining-about-rings story.

If the OP provides photographic proof that the ring is really that loving ugly – as in the legendary heart ring story – then all our previous judgment is rendered null and void.

So say we all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

MarcusSA posted:

It would be loving hilarious if this ring was like worth 50k or some poo poo but she was just too much of a moron to realize it.
New? Possibly. In its current state? Probably not - everything I've read says that engagement/wedding rings are worth approximately jack loving poo poo relative to their purchase price. Not worthless, but much closer to the actual value of the metal and gem involved than what the store charges.

Although I wonder how much that would change if you just bought it as a generic ring and didn't get the "this is for marriage" surcharge attached.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I would venture a guess that engagement rings depreciate in value precisely because of people like the woman here who don’t want to get a secondhand ring

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah if they're just complaining about the size and cost, they're jerks, but if they're complaining about aesthetics or function*, idk it seems kind of legit to care about something you'll be wearing and staring at 24/7 for hopefully the rest of your life

*like rings with protruding prongs or things can snag on stuff, vs. low-profile ones

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pirate Radar posted:

I would venture a guess that engagement rings depreciate in value precisely because of people like the woman here who don’t want to get a secondhand ring

they depreciate in value because they're either bespoke works of art worth way more to the couple who commissioned them than any rando or originally got bought from Zales or whatever with a 200% huckster markup. the market for generic wedding jewelry is ridiculously saturated, if you just want A Ring there's barely any value to most of 'em beyond the cost of materials.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 27, 2019

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah if they're just complaining about the size and cost, they're jerks, but if they're complaining about aesthetics or function*, idk it seems kind of legit to care about something you'll be wearing and staring at 24/7 for hopefully the rest of your life

*like rings with protruding prongs or things can snag on stuff, vs. low-profile ones
The thing is the people who complain about size and cost are complaining about aesthetics and function. Because to them bigger is prettier and more expensive means better for showing off to your friends/enemies/coworkers which is the true function of an engagement ring.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

you'll be wearing and staring at 24/7 for hopefully the rest of your life

it's an engagement ring, you wear it for like, a few months

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Everyone I know wears both engagement and wedding ring after they are married.

e: There are even sets that are supposed to be worn together.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
yeah that's how they work

e: out of curiosity, what do you think happens with an engagement ring after the wedding?

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 27, 2019

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I know all the stuff around wedding rings is pretty dumb, but I can't stop laughing at the idea someone would think an engagement ring is only worn during the engagement and then just shoved in the back of a jewelry box until you die.

We're not quite at the "disposable diamond ring" level of capitalist hell yet.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 27, 2019

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the engagement ring is hidden inside an egg, in a duck, in a hare, locked in an iron chest buried under the roots of a mighty tree, on an island with no name, from which it must be retrieved by any brave soul who wishes to initiate divorce

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

bell jar posted:

say what you will but the dog "bit" her in a way that didn't puncture clothes or skin and could only be identified by leftover saliva, and she could have fired the gun into the air to spook the dogs before straight up shooting one

Places where you can carry train you to shoot to kill. Having people firing guns into the air, above their target, etc is way more dangerous. I don’t support guns but I do think it’s better to not encourage people to fire guns wildly because they feel threatened. The only reason to pull it out is because it’s you or them. Drawing a deadly weapon because you’re scared is retarded

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

How dare a woman have opinions about a piece of jewelry that she’ll be expected and hoping to wear for the rest of her married life. Whose sentimentality is entirely one sided.

She handled the proposal like a huge rear end in a top hat though. Men are delicate creatures that need to be coddled and lied to because the truth is too painful. Should have tucked the heirloom into the back of a jewelry box and gotten a shiny new placeholder that can withstand everyday wear and tear.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah I was all set up to get mad at her for being awful but! in a shocking twist!

they're actually perfect for each other

You're actually with her mentality that because he can afford to pay artificial DeBeers diamond prices, he's obligated to? As in, proposing with anything other than a tacky oversided impractical-for-daily wear rock is unacceptable and makes him a lesser man? Because that's how much an investment banker makes in 3 months, the advertised minimum-spend to show he's serious.

Remember, if her complaints where about it being ugly, impractical, uncomfortable etc they'd have merit. But no need to project, she says exactly what's wrong: "It looked old and the stones looked average at best".

She's already recanted and admitted how wrong she was/is in the comments. People in this thread defending her previous stance are total fuckwits without a leg to stand on.

EDIT:

cock hero flux posted:

it's an engagement ring, you wear it for like, a few months
Newest hot takes by idiots piling in by the second, this thread is great

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

imagine the kind of guy who has the opportunity to pick on an investment banker and instead chooses to get weird and mad at women

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dienes posted:

Especially when he also lied about the professor not letting him drop the course - that's not something the professor controls.

When I was in college, you could drop a class any time up to X days after the course started, after X days it was up to the professor whether you were allowed to drop a class, and after Y>X days you couldn't drop at all

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

I know all the stuff around wedding rings is pretty dumb, but I can't stop laughing at the idea someone would think an engagement ring is only worn during the engagement and then just shoved in the back of a jewelry box until you die.

We're not quite at the "disposable diamond ring" level of capitalist hell yet.

hey, where I'm from you replace it with the wedding band instead of wearing both, I thought that's how everyone did it

then again they're also typically not thousands of dollars around here either

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for having an unpleasant reaction to his foreskin hygiene?

So I have gone on a few dates with this Irish guy I met. He and I hit it off pretty well, so we took things a little further yesterday night at his place.

After about an hour of making out and heavy petting, he took off his pants and underwear for me to give him oral sex. And then I realized he was uncircumcised. But the part that grossed me out was the stench. When he pulled back the foreskin it was literally the most pungent, moist, yeasty odor I have ever inhaled. And when I saw literal strings and crumbs of cheesy material all over the skin and head I literally gagged and almost threw up.

I lost all interest immediately and asked him if he cleans down there. Granted I have never been intimate with a man with foreskin before this and I really don’t know what the norm is for hygiene down there, but I do not think this is normal at all.

I got up and told him I had to leave. I felt bad I made a literal gagging sound and face when I saw and smelled his genitals, but I feel like he should have cleaned before being intimate. He called and left a message accusing me of being rude and dramatic for judging his uncircumcised penis. I mean, I feel like I got caught off guard by this surprise. Am I really the rear end in a top hat here?

This reminds me of a woman I was dating once. We got into a short tangent on circumcision and she was glad I was circumcised because she couldn't imagine what it would be like to suck the average uncircumcised dude's dick. I agreed, and uh, this story kind of validates what she said, even if it was years ago...

Seriously though, how hard is it to wash your drat dick? I'm circumcised and I try my best to make sure it's clean in the shower every single day.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

imagine the kind of guy who has the opportunity to pick on an investment banker and instead chooses to get weird and mad at women

The correct opinion was posted up thread. They're both idiots and should get the guillotine.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Shower every day? Not all of us work in construction. :smuggo:

e: oh right :lofty:

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 27, 2019

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

This reminds me of a woman I was dating once. We got into a short tangent on circumcision and she was glad I was circumcised because she couldn't imagine what it would be like to suck the average uncircumcised dude's dick. I agreed, and uh, this story kind of validates what she said, even if it was years ago...

Seriously though, how hard is it to wash your drat dick? I'm circumcised and I try my best to make sure it's clean in the shower every single day.

You don't even have to tell young boys to pull back and wash; they play with it in the bath instinctively. For adults it's just another part of the shower routine to pull back and wash. I have no loving clue how someone neglects to wash their dick ever and doesn't have a constant urinary tract infection.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Serephina posted:

You're actually with her mentality that because he can afford to pay artificial DeBeers diamond prices, he's obligated to?

He's an investment banker, and therefore bad. Her reaction to the ring means she is also bad. Therefore, they are a good match and should stay together.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

dude's smokin the devil's lettuce

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Tetramin posted:

Places where you can carry train you to shoot to kill. Having people firing guns into the air, above their target, etc is way more dangerous. I don’t support guns but I do think it’s better to not encourage people to fire guns wildly because they feel threatened. The only reason to pull it out is because it’s you or them. Drawing a deadly weapon because you’re scared is retarded

i'm glad we don't have guns here because the dash cam videos would be way different. seems to me like one of those "when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail" situations, where she could have gotten herself and her dog out of the situation (possibly into the car she was leaning against, tooting the horn, etc), instead of just going straight to murking someone's dog because you're having a tough time getting your dog away

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like how many americans can't fathom how the vast majority of the world possibly keep their dicks clean without surgery.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Beautiful

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

bell jar posted:

i'm glad we don't have guns here because the dash cam videos would be way different. seems to me like one of those "when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail" situations, where she could have gotten herself and her dog out of the situation (possibly into the car she was leaning against, tooting the horn, etc), instead of just going straight to murking someone's dog because you're having a tough time getting your dog away

Get hosed. I’m not all gung ho on murdering dogs but you can bet your rear end those types of situations can turn in an instant. Especially supported by the cop afterward, it sounds like everything is on the up and up. The only monster in that story is that piece of human waste neighbor that apparently lets her untrained aggressive dogs just run around the neighborhood. That dog’s blood is on her.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

bell jar posted:

I wish we had guns here so I could murder you for your posts.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I like how many americans can't fathom how the vast majority of the world possibly keep their dicks clean without surgery.

Based on many stories posted here it is a well supported theory

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

I wasn't saying that. It's very easy and trivial as heck to keep your dong clean with its foreskin intact. But I was kind of implying that gross rear end idiots (of which there appears to be more than a few of them based on this thread) who don't clean their dingalings properly are much more likely to be smelly and gross down there relative to if they're circumcised and don't wash it. It's that simple.

Moral of the story: Clean your goddamn dick. I don't give a poo poo if you're circumcised or uncircumcised, ya doof.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 27, 2019

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I wasn't saying that. It's very easy and trivial as heck to keep your dong clean with its foreskin intact. But I was kind of implying that gross rear end idiots (of which there appears to be more than a few of them based on this thread) who don't clean their dingalings properly are much more likely to be smelly and gross down there relative to if they're circumcised and don't wash it. It's that simple.

Moral of the story: Clean your goddamn dick. I don't give a poo poo if you're circumcised or uncircumcised, ya doof.

Why would I want to touch my dick, I don't know where it's been.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

jobson groeth posted:

Why would I want to touch my dick, I don't know where it's been.

I recommend putting your detachable penis on a chain so it never gets away

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
if I wash my dick and then my rear end I just hosed myself and am gay

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for literally running away from a date?

This was a while back but I went to some swanky bar in San Fran and this cute girl started talking to me. She was a little bit forward, which was somewhat unsettling.

But we went back to my place and things got weird from there. She started demanding that I order pizza because she was hungry. And then she grabbed my laptop and put on some really obscure movie. When the pizza got here, she started jamming it into her face with no plate or anything. On my bed.

The next morning I offer to buy her breakfast. Really I just wanted to get her out of my apartment because I was becoming increasingly unattracted to her.

Problem was that every restaurant was closed. So after about the 3rd restaurant she started saying that I could just take her home. So I agreed and started headed to the next block over where my car was parked. She must have liked me and been nervous. But the stuff she was saying was just... weird.

I tried to blow it off but then she said words I'll never forget, "What kind of car do you have? If I like it I might just have to steal it!"

I mean. Of course. Of course she's kidding. Right?

But it was the maniacal cackle that followed that made me start thinking. What if she liked me and I didn't like her back...how would she handle that?

I nervously decided against bringing her to my car. I just didn't like the idea of night after night having my car parked out on the street completely vulnerable.

Instead of bringing it up, my instinct was to think of some way out of this.

I was spinning myself up thinking of all the crazy horror stories I've heard on Reddit. That's when I resorted to drastic measures.

I kept insisting that I treat her to breakfast. That it was the right thing to do. Wouldn't take no for an answer.

My plan was to invite her to sit down, go to use the men's room, and then simply never return to the table. I didn't know what else to do.

But after literally the 8th restaurant we went to was closed (wtf), I began to panic. How was I going to get away from this woman without taking her to my car?

That's when I saw the shining beacon. A tiny convenience mart. I walked in, grabbed a frozen steak sandwich, some kinda potato, and an orange juice. I told her to get whatever she wants and I set my stuff on the counter.

She was in back of the store. I was in the front. I put my index finger up at the clerk to signal like I just received a phone call. I held my hand over the phone and said, "gotta take this, put everything on my tab." He looked confused. I didn't care.

I walked out slowly. As soon as I was out of sight, I shoved my phone in my pocket and ran faster than I ever ran before.

I heard her call after me like 30 seconds later. She said, "wait, where are you going!?"

Without looking back or slowing down I yelled, "it's an emergency!"

She was pissed. Started sending me angry texts. I just apologized and said it was a personal emergency.

But at least she doesn't know what my car looks like.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
That is like the Hanlon's Razor of r/r slash r/AITA stories, and you most so many of these I just don't know anymore.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Xik posted:

Also what is it with so many people on reddit having a hard on for the love language thing? poo poo is embarrassing.

It's practically a red flag in itself. I mean, the idea is good (understand that other people have different ways of showing affection and expecting affection to be shown to them), but it gets used as some sort of weird essentialist astrology. "Why won't she understand my love language is playing Red Dead Redemption while eating cheetos?"

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
The other thing like that, that you run into is "porn addiction"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I’m not afraid to say it: i’m addicted to beautiful women

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cock hero flux posted:

hey, where I'm from you replace it with the wedding band instead of wearing both, I thought that's how everyone did it

then again they're also typically not thousands of dollars around here either

That just seems weird to me because you got a whole ring for it! You've been given a ring you can only wear temporarily. I hope they're at least cheap??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
You wear them until they go stale

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burger_Rings