Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

double nine posted:

is maggie haberman a journalist worth reading reporting of? I'm seeing her get a bunch of mentions in my feed but she seems like a generic press pool reporter.

How's her analysis overall? Centrist melt, full communism now, ...?

she does very little analysis in the her nyt work, it's generally very well-sourced reporting of white house machinations. People here despise her because it's straight reporting and her work doesnt make a point of specifically saying "oh by the way, all this poo poo is awful and these people are telling me this stuff to stab each other in the back"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

awesmoe posted:

she does very little analysis in the her nyt work, it's generally very well-sourced reporting of white house machinations. People here despise her because it's straight reporting and her work doesnt make a point of specifically saying "oh by the way, all this poo poo is awful and these people are telling me this stuff to stab each other in the back"

I'm pretty sure people are less mad about her specific paper work and more mad about her cable and Twitter defences of the administration. Remember when she died on the hill that Trump wasn't a liar?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

awesmoe posted:

In a world where nearly every word out of the president's mouth is a lie, "non-analytical" reporting is biased reporting. And that's not even getting into the selection biases involved in what gets printed where and how it's presented. Most of the major outlets have fallen deep into the "Red said / Blue said" reporting hole, and it's not doing journalism (or the public) any favors.

Malah
May 18, 2015

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1100717744805330944

I really liked the Jahana Hayes interview the most out of this set, mostly because I hear about Pelosi/AOC/Omar every loving week.

"Do not let this psycho steal your joy" is amazing.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Malah posted:

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1100717744805330944

I really liked the Jahana Hayes interview the most out of this set, mostly because I hear about Pelosi/AOC/Omar every loving week.

"Do not let this psycho steal your joy" is amazing.

She's my rep and we really don't hear enough about her.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt
https://www.thedailybeast.com/house-intel-will-call-trump-org-moneyman-allen-weisselberg-to-testify

"House Intel Will Call Trump Org Moneyman Allen Weisselberg To Testify"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

ICMB posted:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/house-intel-will-call-trump-org-moneyman-allen-weisselberg-to-testify

"House Intel Will Call Trump Org Moneyman Allen Weisselberg To Testify"

Felix Sater too

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1101248659809857536

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

awesmoe posted:

I would buy that argument except her family was involved in the Trump campaign. And she won't say Trump lies. She has a huge conflict of interest.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt
https://twitter.com/nytpolitics/status/1101260454708559874

I always come back to just thinking what if Obama had done ANY of these things.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Hastings posted:

I would buy that argument except her family was involved in the Trump campaign. And she won't say Trump lies. She has a huge conflict of interest.

Her mother worked/works for a ny pr firm that represented trump in/since the 90s, which isn’t really surprising since he was a New York personality. That’s quite a big difference from how you’ve framed it.

Anyway here’s some news
https://mobile.twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1101245624115232768

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ICMB posted:

https://twitter.com/nytpolitics/status/1101260454708559874

I always come back to just thinking what if Obama had done ANY of these things.

Always remember that the list of Obama scandals was

• Said people cling to guns and religion(a truth)
  • Saluted while holding a coffee, something that virtually every president has done a variation of
  • Commented on the fact that there is no such thing as a self made man
  • Said it was stupid of the cops to arrest a black man for "breaking into" his own house
  • Ordered Djon Mustard and Arugula on a hamburger
  • Wore a tan suit

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

• Saluted while holding a coffee, something that virtually every president has done a variation of
  • Said it was stupid of the cops to arrest a black man for "breaking into" his own house
  • Wore a tan suit

You forgot 'had a soldier hold an umbrella for him' and 'was black'.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

If Obama had done a tenth of what Trump has done Hannity would be having kittens on live TV every night. It might almost be worth watching Fox News. Almost.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Gyges posted:

• Wore a tan suit

He also inherited that stupid gunrunning bs. Also all the groups that filed as non profits with names like “I love evading taxes” were scrutinized.

I do think they botched the Iran money return but it was a no-win type situation (I think it’s fine to return the seized assets in the deal.)

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Gyges posted:

• Wore a tan suit

"57 states"
A madrassah
No flag lapel pin

The Fast & Furious gun program was probably the closest to a real scandal that happened on his watch.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Yea f+f was a remix of a bad bush program.
https://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2012/sep/24/barack-obama/barack-obama-said-fast-and-furious-began-under-bus/

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Gyges posted:

• Wore a tan suit

• Put white-collar criminals like Tim Geithner in charge of the treasury
  • Declined to prosecute any of the people who crashed the economy through their greed and fraud because it would hurt shareholders
  • Didn't enforce any of the homeowner-protection strings he promised would be attached to a $700 billion bank bailout
  • Allowed banks to commit even more crimes by foreclosing on millions of homeowners using forged documents
  • Tear-gassed and beat Occupy Wall Street protesters
  • Illegal wiretapping
  • Imprisoned and tortured whistleblowers on the above illegal wiretapping
  • Destroyed Libya
  • Supported a right-wing military coup in Honduras
  • Nominated James Comey to lead the FBI
  • Comey's FBI surveiled and harassed BLM and other civil rights activists
  • Supported the Saudis' ongoing genocide in Yemen with financial and military aid
  • Promised to save Social Security and Medicare, tried to cut them instead
  • Was always quick with a joke
  • Never lost that sunny disposition

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

• Declined to prosecute any of the people who crashed the economy through their greed and fraud because it would hurt shareholders
  • Didn't enforce any of the homeowner-protection strings he promised would be attached to a $700 billion bank bailout
  • Allowed banks to commit even more crimes by foreclosing on millions of homeowners using forged documents
  • Illegal wiretapping
  • Destroyed Libya
  • Supported the Saudis' ongoing genocide in Yemen with financial and military aid

[*]Complicit with the Haiti coup

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

awesmoe posted:

Her mother worked/works for a ny pr firm that represented trump in/since the 90s, which isn’t really surprising since he was a New York personality. That’s quite a big difference from how you’ve framed it.

That is an understatement: you're talking about the Rubensteins, who have had a connection with the Trumps since Fred Trump, and have engaged in a mutually beneficial relationship between the families for decades. Also, Jared Kushner is considered a best friend of the owner. You're forgetting that the New York connection is actually odd in the context that everyone in New York hated Trump and he had a difficult time holding on to any legit professional connections since he grifted everyone. He was mainly involved with criminals, and any one else would have had to have been highly connected with him on a professional and personal level. Nobody works with the Trumps without being a true believer and the Cohen testimony really established that.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

[*]Complicit with the Haiti coup

[*]Ordered the assassination of an American child.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

[*]Put a ratty-looking paperclip on the stimulus bill

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

I don't get the impression that Haberman likes Trump at all. She plays the annoying access game, so she refuses to directly call him out, but she's usually pretty clear that he's deranged and believes in a totally false reality.

If anything, I think Trump is more obsessed with her than the inverse, since he is always granting her access despite also directly calling her out as a Clinton backer.

Her biggest problems are that she refuses to acknowledge any faults in the Times' political coverage, and she is clearly used as a mouthpiece for her internal sources at times. And she was probably the most annoying supporter of Sarah Huckabee Sanders when Michelle Wolf made the softball coach comment.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
"We have has a very good relationship with Maggie Haberman of Politico over the last year. We have had her tee up stories for us before and have never been disappointed."

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

She's also hilariously bad and thin-skinned on Twitter, which I think is why she catches as much flak as she does (as opposed to someone like Robert Costa, who is much better at playing the "disinterested reporter" game and consequently doesn't get called out nearly as much).

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

VitalSigns posted:

• Illegal wiretapping
  • Destroyed Libya

Staus quo bad things aren't scandals, silly.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Gyges posted:

Staus quo bad things aren't scandals, silly.

Maybe they should be.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

She's also hilariously bad and thin-skinned on Twitter, which I think is why she catches as much flak as she does (as opposed to someone like Robert Costa, who is much better at playing the "disinterested reporter" game and consequently doesn't get called out nearly as much).

Robert Costa is, on a purely professional level, involved in several orders of magnitude more real journalism. Dude is prolific at how much quality journalism his byline ends up on.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I just passed by a TV airing CNN, and the headline across the bottom was something like, "Biden faces criticism for calling Pence 'a decent guy,'" and I can't stop laughing at this batshit crazy time we're living in, where a former VP praising the current VP in the blandest way possible provokes outrage, that outrage makes national news, and the outrage is valid.

Welp, thanks for listening!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Rabbit Hill posted:

I just passed by a TV airing CNN, and the headline across the bottom was something like, "Biden faces criticism for calling Pence 'a decent guy,'" and I can't stop laughing at this batshit crazy time we're living in, where a former VP praising the current VP in the blandest way possible provokes outrage, that outrage makes national news, and the outrage is valid.

Welp, thanks for listening!

Pence isn't a decent guy though. By no definition.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Pence is a piece of poo poo and blandly treating fools and monsters like regular folks is part of how we got here.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Chill. RH said the outrage is valid.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
That's kind of the story of the 2016 election in a nutshell. Media as a whole being incapable of accepting that such things as calling someone a Nazi is not hyperbole and is in fact valid criticism when they're loving sieg heiling at the RNC and screaming "Jews will not replace us" with tiki torches.

They've been both-sidesing goddamn everything for so many decades now they're fundamentally incapable of accepting that one side is objectively worse, morally repugnant at its core and is absolutely worthy of the criticism it is receiving. It's the divide by zero statement of our current media climate. They just cannot process it and default to blaming the people pointing it out.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

And then the NYT ran more stories about her emails than anything else in the entire election cycle.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The "balance/hear both sides" thing is so bad that NPR called out the Michael Jackson rape documentary for not soliciting/presenting comments from Jackson defenders.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Gyges posted:

• Wore a tan suit
  • Made the fatal mistake of thinking the GOP would ever cooperate with him, which is why so many of his reforms died in committee.
  • Generally spoke softly; refused to carry his stick

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

RandomPauI posted:

The "balance/hear both sides" thing is so bad that NPR called out the Michael Jackson rape documentary for not soliciting/presenting comments from Jackson defenders.

"Van, I know that some pictures of the concentration camps have been printed, but I really think we shouldn't rush to judgment until the Fuehrer responds."

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Failson posted:

Pundits: "Wow, this summit may lead to small, but concrete steps towards peace, like Liason offices..."

"Baw Gawd! Is that John Bolton's music?!"

https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/1101142038030966784

lol at any of this bullshit. Kim won the moment Trump shook his hand in front of a camera, just like he did the last time. The development of a nuclear weapon that could threaten American soil had the theoretical potential to shift the NK diplomatic quagmire and produce real results, and it was in the toilet the second Trump agreed to a meeting where Kim was made to look equal to the POTUS. But why would anyone be surprised by that when Trump never cared about anything but using this as domestic red meat, and the state department was gutted and brain drained more than a year before that opportunity arose?

Any speculation about Bolton or who did what or what went wrong or who is as fault for it is the worst kind of shadow puppetry. This whole thing was a joke from the moment it was conceived regardless of what anyone did or did not do there. Treating it otherwise is stupidity.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Meeting with POTUS and gaining "legitimacy" have very little to do with the failure of this gambit. The issue is that when the negotiations are between President Deals and another head of state, there is nowhere for failed negotiations to go. Even the depleted State Department lead by Bolton's better demons would have been a better chance at an actual negotiation of anything other than a poorly designed photo op.

Donny is a loving idiot who can't be trusted and gleefully walks into disasters with but the faintest positive attention. He was poo poo at making deals as a businessman and he's even more poo poo at it as a international diplomat. It's highly likely that both sides overestimated their position, because everyone knows Donny is a spineless idiot but, for some reason, most people tend to forget he is also all in on team scorpion.

Also, given the on camera talk with China about a memorandum of understanding, it's very possible that North Korea actually did try to make a deal with likely the weakest US negotiation they'll ever see, and Donny kept slapping it down because he doesn't understand big boy words.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Grouchio posted:

• Made the fatal mistake of thinking the GOP would ever cooperate with him, which is why so many of his reforms died in committee.
  • Generally spoke softly; refused to carry his stick

One of the 'reforms' he wanted was the privatization of social security and GOP racism and intransigence blocked that. Obama was a such a piece of trash lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

mila kunis posted:

One of the 'reforms' he wanted was the privatization of social security and GOP racism and intransigence blocked that. Obama was a such a piece of trash lol

“Hard things are hard”.