Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Mortabis posted:

My mom loves their bullshit decorating shows where they take a perfectly good house and completely destroy it with the kitschiest garbage.

“We put AstroTurf INSIDE this secluded cabin with pink flamingo accents!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Captain Log posted:

“We put AstroTurf INSIDE this secluded cabin with pink flamingo accents!”

The one I most vividly remember involved some couple where the husband liked skateboarding so they put a bunch of shelves in made out of skateboard decks screwed into the walls. I remember them showing it to him while he's struggling to smile through his obvious rage.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://youtu.be/HwlrMVYZ_EE

Speaking of YouTube, I love this particular 10 worst video because they straight up admit that there aren't many especially horrible French aircraft. I'm sick of knee jerk insults of France whenever it comes up, and love seeing weird airplanes.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I would legit love a good quality stream of connections or day the universe changed btw, they’re on youtube but the quality sucks.

Burke just meshed science and history so well and made it drat entertaining to boot.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Mortabis posted:

The one I most vividly remember involved some couple where the husband liked skateboarding so they put a bunch of shelves in made out of skateboard decks screwed into the walls. I remember them showing it to him while he's struggling to smile through his obvious rage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WZnkyiBG_U

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I’d totally watch a passive-aggressive home improvement show fixing the dumb poo poo other home improvement do, god only know the have enough material to work with now.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Hitting the center of the Venn Diagram of cold war and Youtube:

Newest Smarter Every Day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOTYgcdNrXE

Destin has been a DOD contractor with ATEC for the last 15 years, and got to debrief with the 4-star Army Pacific Commander. Very interesting.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Groda posted:

Wedding Crashers 2 looking good.
:kiss:

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Groda posted:

Wedding Crashers 2 looking good.

:stare::discourse::stare:

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

priznat posted:

I would legit love a good quality stream of connections or day the universe changed btw, they’re on youtube but the quality sucks.

Burke just meshed science and history so well and made it drat entertaining to boot.

He's a huge part of the reason I fell in love with history.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

the chinese wife one had me laughing pretty hard

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

priznat posted:

Imo TLC was the channel that fell the furthest from its original intentions. From playing James Burke’s Connections/Day the Universe changed (love those shows) to the worst reality show bullshit with the 8 is enough show or whatever.

CourtTV went from a lawyer outside a courthouse getting shot live on television to Impractical Jokers.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
THAAD does its first exercise to Israel.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

mlmp08 posted:

THAAD does its first exercise to Israel.

Wonder why. Maybe doing a "shoot out" between Arrow and THAAD? I mean Arrow and THAAD are direct competitors. And the Arrow 3 is a nasty little fucker.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

EvilMerlin posted:

Wonder why. Maybe doing a "shoot out" between Arrow and THAAD? I mean Arrow and THAAD are direct competitors. And the Arrow 3 is a nasty little fucker.

The opposite actually...the first phase of the deployment is an integration exercise trying to make good on our promise to play more nicely with our friends when it comes to missile defense. Israel doesn't have many upper tier interceptors and a deployment like this is pretty likely in an actual shooting situation. It is basically Juniper Cobra but with THAAD.

It will be funny when the systems can't interoperate despite using the same radar.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

bewbies posted:

The opposite actually...the first phase of the deployment is an integration exercise trying to make good on our promise to play more nicely with our friends when it comes to missile defense. Israel doesn't have many upper tier interceptors and a deployment like this is pretty likely in an actual shooting situation. It is basically Juniper Cobra but with THAAD.

It will be funny when the systems can't interoperate despite using the same radar.

Not sure I understand, you mean its just a compatibility exercise? I know that most of these style training exercises make sure there stuff works with ours and etc.

I also thought Arrow 3 was very much a top tier interceptor and is part of the reason the US gave IAI nearly 1.5 billion dollars since 2008 for just the Arrow 3 project (which is nothing compared to what the US gave IAI for Arrow/Arrow2 over nearly 30 years of development and deployment)

Can you kindly clarify your comments? I haven't had enough caffeine yet.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Even if Arrow 3 is an amazing pixie dust missile the Israelis only have a small number of them.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

EvilMerlin posted:

Not sure I understand, you mean its just a compatibility exercise? I know that most of these style training exercises make sure there stuff works with ours and etc.

I also thought Arrow 3 was very much a top tier interceptor and is part of the reason the US gave IAI nearly 1.5 billion dollars since 2008 for just the Arrow 3 project (which is nothing compared to what the US gave IAI for Arrow/Arrow2 over nearly 30 years of development and deployment)

Can you kindly clarify your comments? I haven't had enough caffeine yet.

Prior to Russia getting uppity recently, the main mission of EUCOM was to help defend Israel in the event that Iran got mad. The bulk of this support came in the form of hurriedly deploying a bunch of air defense assets to augment the Israeli's own stuff (long story short they don't have nearly enough launchers/interceptors to defend themselves against a determined Iranian missile attack; that's what Juniper Cobra was/is all about). Every year, someone suggests THAAD be a part of Juniper Cobra, and every year it would get so far along in the process, then get shot down (so to speak) once someone did the math and figured out moving a THAAD battery is like deconstructing an Arleigh Burke and loading onto planes and then unloading it and then reconstructing it.

Last year, MDA's big strategic vision admitted that we suck at doing missile defense with our alleged allies, and so increasing that international cooperation/integration has gotten a lot more resources lately. That's how they finally got the time/money to do this THAAD thing out there.

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER
Just got back from seeing Blackbird #30 in Tucson. Did some other dorky cold war stuff and I gotta say the Titan Missile Museum has one of the coolest, most unique, and most thoughtful souvenirs I've ever seen at a museum gift shop.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Why is THAAD so hard to move? Like, it's mounted on trucks and everything isn't it?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It's big, it moved via strat air, that's expensive.

EUCOM's statement is here. https://www.eucom.mil/media-library/pressrelease/39542/useucom-deploys-terminal-high-altitude-area-defense-thaad-system-to-israel

Big ole mix of training, interoperability, strat lift, and dynamic force employment, plus good ole political messaging.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Mortabis posted:

Why is THAAD so hard to move? Like, it's mounted on trucks and everything isn't it?

The drive from El Paso to Tel Aviv is rough.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
THAAD emplacement and costs have a lot more to deal with than just the physical rolling stock. Yes, the rolling stock is significant. But on top of that, you need a lot of real estate to set up (launchers have to be hundreds of meters away from the radar), there are ground compaction/stability requirements for the radar, and the RF hazard to aircraft is significant. So on top of the movement/transport piece, half the battle can be finding a place to actually set it up without major infrastructure and air route challenges. Plus, THAAD boosters have to land somewhere, so that's a concern if you were to actually fire it. It's very particular and infrastructure heavy compared to Patriot, which is already a beast to move around.

It took a not insignificant amount of engineer support to put THAAD on a South Korean golf course.

And sometimes there are bonus challenges

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

mlmp08 posted:

THAAD emplacement and costs have a lot more to deal with than just the physical rolling stock. Yes, the rolling stock is significant. But on top of that, you need a lot of real estate to set up (launchers have to be hundreds of meters away from the radar), there are ground compaction/stability requirements for the radar, and the RF hazard to aircraft is significant. So on top of the movement/transport piece, half the battle can be finding a place to actually set it up without major infrastructure and air route challenges. Plus, THAAD boosters have to land somewhere, so that's a concern if you were to actually fire it. It's very particular and infrastructure heavy compared to Patriot, which is already a beast to move around.

It took a not insignificant amount of engineer support to put THAAD on a South Korean golf course.

And sometimes there are bonus challenges

That's a really interesting aspect of the logistics here that I hadn't thought about.

How does this compare to, say, an S-400 installation? Or a road-mobile ICBM?

I guess the latter is much simpler, since it doesn't need a radar LOS and is fine to drop boosters on forests, and tends to be in the middle of nowhere rather than near high value targets.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

:awesome:

OK, now I'm definitely scheduling a trip there.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
BMD radars are a pain. Calibration and other details that aren't as important for traditional IADS can make or break an intercept.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Kebbins posted:

Just got back from seeing Blackbird #30 in Tucson. Did some other dorky cold war stuff and I gotta say the Titan Missile Museum has one of the coolest, most unique, and most thoughtful souvenirs I've ever seen at a museum gift shop.

I'd like one of the YT lockpickers to try that out.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

bewbies posted:

Prior to Russia getting uppity recently, the main mission of EUCOM was to help defend Israel in the event that Iran got mad. The bulk of this support came in the form of hurriedly deploying a bunch of air defense assets to augment the Israeli's own stuff (long story short they don't have nearly enough launchers/interceptors to defend themselves against a determined Iranian missile attack; that's what Juniper Cobra was/is all about). Every year, someone suggests THAAD be a part of Juniper Cobra, and every year it would get so far along in the process, then get shot down (so to speak) once someone did the math and figured out moving a THAAD battery is like deconstructing an Arleigh Burke and loading onto planes and then unloading it and then reconstructing it.

Last year, MDA's big strategic vision admitted that we suck at doing missile defense with our alleged allies, and so increasing that international cooperation/integration has gotten a lot more resources lately. That's how they finally got the time/money to do this THAAD thing out there.

Ahhhh... OK got you. Thanks.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

NightGyr posted:

Or a road-mobile ICBM?
If you're test firing an ICBM you're doing it on an instrumented range.

If you're non-test firing an ICBM nobody gives a gently caress where the booster lands.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

NightGyr posted:

That's a really interesting aspect of the logistics here that I hadn't thought about.

How does this compare to, say, an S-400 installation? Or a road-mobile ICBM?

As far as mobility, it's still arguably accurate to call Patriot "mobile" in that a qualified crew with some warning can have it up and running in 1 hour from rolling onto a site that's been minimally prepared by a small advance team. A site can break down and leave in 30-45 minutes. These times are based on the standard certification drills. I'm talking tactical system, not all the sustainment stuff like tents, food, etc.

IIRC S-400 takes a bit longer than that but is comparable.

THAAD takes way, way longer than that and generally requires an actual site survey before you show up.

Patriot is on the slow/big end of acceptably using the word "mobile." You can have Patriot jump sites a few times in one day. THAAD is more like something that can be moved, but is not mobile.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

mlmp08 posted:

THAAD is more like something that can be moved, but is not mobile.

:eng101: Official DoD word for this is transportable.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So if a vehicle is equipped with a DIRCM, can they be put into a 'offensive' mode before a threat is launched if the launcher is within range? Like, can they track and dazzle the enemy launcher to even prevent a successful launch? I take it the system would have to be manually pointed at a potential threat but from there it could track the target automatically?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Dr_Strangelove posted:

:awesome:

OK, now I'm definitely scheduling a trip there.

It's a really cool place, definitely worth the trip—especially since it's also only a short drive from the Pima Air and Space Museum, the third-largest air museum in the country after NASM and Dayton.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's a really cool place, definitely worth the trip—especially since it's also only a short drive from the Pima Air and Space Museum, the third-largest air museum in the country after NASM and Dayton.

Yeah, I'm planning a trip to Pima eventually - plus there's a Minuteman II silo and museum outside Rapid City, SD. There's the SD Air & Space Museum (which has quite a few interesting items worth the visit) at Ellsworth AFB nearby as well as Mount Rushmore, Deadwood, the Black Hills, and Sturgis all in a ~50 mile circle, more or less.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The day may come when I don’t smirk when reading “Transporter-Erector-Launcher” but it is not this day.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Kebbins posted:

Heck yeah! The Titan Museum rocks and yeah a copy of the launch key is a pretty good souvenir to have! Sounds like you're doing Tucson right, make sure to hit up Eegees and get a slushie before you leave though, It's been a local staple for decades and is good straight or spiked with some rum/vodka if you're feeling saucy.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I'm planning a trip to Pima eventually - plus there's a Minuteman II silo and museum outside Rapid City, SD. There's the SD Air & Space Museum (which has quite a few interesting items worth the visit) at Ellsworth AFB nearby as well as Mount Rushmore, Deadwood, the Black Hills, and Sturgis all in a ~50 mile circle, more or less.

There's another decent little place in Wasta (about 40 mins from Rapid) called the "Armed Forces Display & Gifts". It's tiny, but if you're driving past it's worth the stop. I think the only people who operate it are the couple who own it, so they're not always open. If you're interested you should call ahead. The google maps page has some pictures.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Is there any equivalent to Command and Control from the Soviet side of things?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Dunno, but I can tell you from personal experience that the missile bases themselves were much less comfortable than the American ones.

I visited a former Soviet SS-18 missile base in Ukraine, and while largely unchanged, it was very spartan conditions. They had a spare silo that was the 'control' silo, and was very claustrophobic. The living quarters for three men was the size of an 8x10.

Heres the 'launch' sequence for what would happen if there was a nuclear war. You sat at the console and stared at the board in front of you for 8 hours at a time. Maybe the red phone next to you would ring. That would be Moscow. You typed in the code that they gave you, the system would automatically confirm the code, and then everything would be automatic. The silo doors were hydraulically opened, not blown open, and then in the span of ~30 seconds, 10 SS-18s would be in the air, with 100 warheads total. There was no way for the operators in the silo to recall them.

The 3 men's job was literally to wait for a phone call, and plug in a code. I was told that there were 3 men because if someone refused, one of the other two was supposed to shoot him and enter the codes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Pi2M6hrKI

Annnd SS-18 souvenirs!

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Bulgaroctonus posted:

I think "The dead hand" is the closest equivalent, but the Soviets/Russians didn't share as much info as the Americans have.