Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I use a filter wrench that’s offset a little plus has three different diameters with a channel lock style mechanism and I’ve never been foiled since I bought it.

I have one of these plus two sizes of strap wrench that I bought before it - the strap wrenches just gather dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I picked it up because I didn’t want to pay for the special tool to take the filter cap off my wife’s Toyota or continue paying someone else to change the oil. Now I use it for every oil change on my truck and bike just because it’s so much faster. Both my strap wrenches and end cap wrench sit unused as well now.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pro tip those are also fantastic for stuck jar lids

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

poo poo I have to remember that, I'm sure I'll use it in the future. I've never had a filter I couldn't remove with one of those kinds of wrenches.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ha, we had this crazy antique jar opener when I was a kid that I definitely used once or twice to get the filter off dad’s truck.

edit: like this but with teeth

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 18, 2019

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It- it just punched a hole right through the filter. The loving thing still won't budge :negative:

Guess I'll wait for it to stop bleeding oil and then give the strap wrench a go. And when that inevitably fails also, just go nuts with a set of tin snips until I can pick it off piece by piece. I really can't think of anything else :shrug:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

You try hitting it with a hammer?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
In a fit of rage? Not yet but I'm close

e/ yeah nuthin.

e2/ gently caress it, called a guy. I've asked them to just pull the filter and bring it back so I can put the new filter on myself. Though knowing my luck I'll probably get a call later telling me the threads are hosed and I need a new lower crankcase :shepspends:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 18, 2019

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Well, they got it off. I'll get it back tomorrow morning and finish the oil change then. Any tips for making sure the next filter doesn't get stuck, or is it literally just "don't torque it past spec"?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Well, they got it off. I'll get it back tomorrow morning and finish the oil change then. Any tips for making sure the next filter doesn't get stuck, or is it literally just "don't torque it past spec"?

Yes. Make sure the threads are clean and not all messed up too.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Oil the o-ring/gasket, don't over tighten

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I've always just hand-tightened awl filters.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

captainOrbital posted:

I've always just hand-tightened awl filters.

Yeah, just hand tighten them until you can say "Eh, that's probably good." As long as you're not a hamfisted mouthbreather, anyway.
The idea of breaking the oil filter stud terrifies me. FWIW I've never in my life touched a filter that I installed and said "Wow, that's way too loose." They really don't need to be very tight and never seem to self-loosen.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If anything it's the other way around, several times I've done one up what felt like way too loose and then had to break it off with a tool six months later.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
How much metal is a concerning amount to find in your old oil?

Sifted through the old stuff and I spotted maybe a couple dozen <1mm chips, like chunky glitter. I'm about 99% certain they're from when I first got this bike and struggled with shifting and ended up smashing the gently caress out of the transmission in a 4th to 5th false neutral a bunch of times.

Is it the kind of thing you just keep an eye on, like maybe do the next oil change a bit sooner and see what comes out with that?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If you can't identify the part, it's fine. :v:

Actually, that doesn't sound ideal, what's the mileage on your bike? Anywa, there's not much you can do about it other than keep riding and see what it's like on the next change.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

How much metal is a concerning amount to find in your old oil?

Sifted through the old stuff and I spotted maybe a couple dozen <1mm chips, like chunky glitter. I'm about 99% certain they're from when I first got this bike and struggled with shifting and ended up smashing the gently caress out of the transmission in a 4th to 5th false neutral a bunch of times.

Is it the kind of thing you just keep an eye on, like maybe do the next oil change a bit sooner and see what comes out with that?

Pics? When you say glitter do you mean shiny silver, dull silver or shiny brass? In order they are bits of gearbox/roller bearing, alloy machining swarf/piston dust and main/bigend bearing shell.

If it's either of the first two and it's not making any funny noises I wouldn't worry about it.

If it's the third one, time for a new bike.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'll see if I can get pics in the morning, but it's mostly shiny silver (the bigger bits), and a little dull silver (much smaller dusty bits). The bike sounds fine to me.

It's uhhh 18000ish miles now I think? About 6000 of which are mine. Based on what you've said I'm happy to just go to the next change and see what comes out (since I'm confident it's what I think it is).

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 19, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You'll be fine. On bikes with magnetic drain plugs it's normal to see the whole magnet encrusted in metal chips, on the first oil change it often looks absolutely catastrophic.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I always just use a set of channel locks

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

You'll be fine. On bikes with magnetic drain plugs it's normal to see the whole magnet encrusted in metal chips, on the first oil change it often looks absolutely catastrophic.

The S1000XR has 67k or so miles on it now, and every time I change the oil (5k miles or so) I've got a little halo of metal chunky poo poo on the drain plug. I don't know where the metal is coming from, but clearly it hasn't hurt the bike any.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Have you fitted your 'updated' chain tensioner aka longer bolt so it doesn't cam chain rattle (as much) on cold starts?

Good example of Germans looking at honda and deciding they can go one better.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
I was considering doing this or a manual CCT during the next service.

Is the updated part a good enough fix? That noise at startup is really annoying.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Well imo 'good enough' would be a CCT that actually works properly* so no it doesn't do that. It's literally just a longer base bolt so the CCT can't back out as far when it loses oil pressure. How much less noisy it gets depends on how stretched your chain is; the recommendation is to not fit them on bikes with less than 15k.

*: Seriously just needs to be a one way ratchet on the hydraulic CCT so it can't back off. We've had this amazing technology for like forty years, IDK wtf BMW were thinking.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
How about a better solution I can actually implement then? It doesn't seem like there are many alternatives.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Manual CCT will solve your problems if you're prepared to check it now and again.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Looking at buying one of those plastic throttle lock things. Should I go that route or get the more expensive throttle lock bar ends? Im only going to use it for the straight road (10miles) to and from the curvy roads around me

Keegers fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 5, 2019

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I used once of the cheap plastic friction locks you're describing for my cross- country trip, it worked fine.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

A big 2-3mm o-ring slipped into the space between your grip and bar end works, too. If you have bar ends. They’re usually pretty cheap.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Ontario riders ITT? I just got my M1 again after a ten-year hiatus from riding. I've signed up for RTI's M2 course and I'm looking for some insurance quotes. Already asked in the Toronto LAN thread, but is there anyone here from Canada's finest province who can recommend a broker? Thanks!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Ontario riders ITT? I just got my M1 again after a ten-year hiatus from riding. I've signed up for RTI's M2 course and I'm looking for some insurance quotes. Already asked in the Toronto LAN thread, but is there anyone here from Canada's finest province who can recommend a broker? Thanks!

I can recommend you just give up on riding until you can get out of this shithole. I did. But if you're set on misery and wishing you were riding somewhere else, Dalton Timmis to check the not-State Farm market, and check State Farm for comparison.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Keegers posted:

Looking at buying one of those plastic throttle lock things. Should I go that route or get the more expensive throttle lock bar ends? Im only going to use it for the straight road (10miles) to and from the curvy roads around me
I've used a Kaoko plastic one and a Throttlemeister. The Kaoko worked better. Throttlemeister looks great but didn't really stay where it was supposed to on my bike so needed adjusting and worked worse over time.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
Does the Kaoko mess the grips up or stretch them out at all? I’ve seen some that look like they jam under the grip at the end and I don’t like that idea, but I kind of would like to have the feature.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Mister Speaker posted:

Meloche Monnex wasn’t bad with the university discount on an m1; however they do bullshit with their billing to stop people from dropping insurance during the winter.

Cooperators is comparable, but they’re not really in the bike business, so you have to have something else with them.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Snapshot posted:

Meloche Monnex wasn’t bad with the university discount on an m1; however they do bullshit with their billing to stop people from dropping insurance during the winter.

Cooperators is comparable, but they’re not really in the bike business, so you have to have something else with them.

They all do that. They prorate or weight the billing so if you did want to only run insurance in the summer, you'd pay the same or more than just keeping it on year round. However if you're a headcase and ride in the winter, you can feel like you're sticking it to the man! (you aren't. You're still getting hosed.)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Finger Prince posted:

I can recommend you just give up on riding until you can get out of this shithole. I did. But if you're set on misery and wishing you were riding somewhere else, Dalton Timmis to check the not-State Farm market, and check State Farm for comparison.

Sweet unquenchable gently caress, you were not kidding. Most of the companies wouldn't even talk to me, some brokers won't even insure sportbikes anymore and the only hypothetical quote I got for a new GSX-R750 was almost $3,000 more than the cost of the bike. The rep at Dalton Timmis has been great so far, he's the only one that's really given me a breakdown and even followed up via email with other comparable rides (that aren't nearly as fun but surely aren't cop-magnets like a gixxer is).

One other idea I've been entertaining is the DR-Z400SM (or a similar supermoto). I asked for a quote, hopefully it's significantly lower. I imagine this is probably a better choice anyway, for someone who's getting back into riding after this long. Or is this the kind of bike I'm even more likely to get silly with than an overpowered sportbike?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

What coverage is all that for? Comprehensive or just liability?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Frosty- posted:

Does the Kaoko mess the grips up or stretch them out at all? I’ve seen some that look like they jam under the grip at the end and I don’t like that idea, but I kind of would like to have the feature.
Depends what you mean by mess up, they'll all require you to cut/trim the end of the grip to some degree I think. The Kaoko doesn't require that rubber thing wedged inside the grip like a Throttlemeister, as far as I remember.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Sweet unquenchable gently caress, you were not kidding. Most of the companies wouldn't even talk to me, some brokers won't even insure sportbikes anymore and the only hypothetical quote I got for a new GSX-R750 was almost $3,000 more than the cost of the bike. The rep at Dalton Timmis has been great so far, he's the only one that's really given me a breakdown and even followed up via email with other comparable rides (that aren't nearly as fun but surely aren't cop-magnets like a gixxer is).

One other idea I've been entertaining is the DR-Z400SM (or a similar supermoto). I asked for a quote, hopefully it's significantly lower. I imagine this is probably a better choice anyway, for someone who's getting back into riding after this long. Or is this the kind of bike I'm even more likely to get silly with than an overpowered sportbike?

Put it this way, for the price of a fun bike and the insurance, you can probably fly to Calgary and rent for a weekend like at least half a dozen times a year. Now ask yourself, is sitting in gridlocked Toronto traffic and/or dealing with the 401 in 30+ temps and 90+ humidity worth saying you ride all season? Or do you say gently caress this place I don't need to prove poo poo, fly somewhere better when you can, and try out all sorts of cool bikes you've always wanted to try a weekend at a time in the fresh mountain air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Keegers posted:

I got either a vista cruise or one or something that looks exactly like it. It's been on three (or four) bikes at this point, and it works great. Sport, cruiser, sport-tourer; works great on them all.

The same unit, mind you. I need to stop wrecking bikes.