Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I had an alliance healer refuse to spot heal me through two minutes of a fight before I died to raidwide damage. I was standing right next to them and they just never healed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Any time you need to rely on healers they will eventually let you down. Either by not spot healing you after a raid wide or other unavoidable damage or by just dying to mechanics.

We all have our bad days :v:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The Burn's final boss has probably been my favourite dungeon difficulty wise. The Atma Weapon was pretty good too when it launched.

I usually play healer though so I always never have to deal with a poo poo healer.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
For crafting leve turn ins, does it make sense to use quick synth for the mats? Should I be doing some sort of macro?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Kwyndig posted:

Any time you need to rely on healers they will eventually let you down. Either by not spot healing you after a raid wide or other unavoidable damage or by just dying to mechanics.

I do remember a weird Construct run where everyone passed the basic math test, but for some reason the 6 healers decided not to really heal all that great, and 99% of the raid died to the next raid-wide AOE.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kashuno posted:

For crafting leve turn ins, does it make sense to use quick synth for the mats? Should I be doing some sort of macro?

Quick synth gives you less exp and has a chance of failure. Leve turn ins also give you 100% bonus exp if it's HQ, which is just random low chance with quick synth.
Macros take forever in comparison, but if you're just sitting around watching netflix, I'd say go for that.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
First there was don't gently caress cactuses

now the lalafall is romancing obviously lovely Tonberry women

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kashuno posted:

Depends on the level of difficulty of the craft and the material's level. In general, pre-50 materials (especially pre-Byregot's) are difficult as hell to HQ, and you're usually better off just attempting the main craft with cheaper materials multiple times until the RNG lines up. Post-50, there's a good argument for HQing materials that are roughly around the level of the craft while using normal low level materials, as HQed low level materials in higher level crafts barely give any bonus to Quality.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Rastan Beeza posted:

First there was don't gently caress cactuses

now the lalafall is romancing obviously lovely Tonberry women

she is a lovely (?) young (?) lady (?????)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I missed Little Ladies Day :(

Was it good?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schneider Heim posted:

I missed Little Ladies Day :(

Was it good?

It was cute and heartwarming and you got a flower crown from it

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Tashilicious posted:

It was cute and heartwarming and you got a flower crown from it

I hope Shadowbringers allows me to wear the crown and glasses at the same time.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheHeadSage posted:

I hope Shadowbringers allows me to wear the crown and glasses at the same time.

I am going to make a pink flower princess glam for maining DRK through Shadowbringers.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Leveling up a BM, I'm in my mid thirties right now. Fairly new to the game in general. Is there any reason to cast Fire III outside of when I have swiftcast up? It doesn't seem as efficient as Fire 1, but I haven't exactly been running the numbers.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

S.J. posted:

Leveling up a BM, I'm in my mid thirties right now. Fairly new to the game in general. Is there any reason to cast Fire III outside of when I have swiftcast up? It doesn't seem as efficient as Fire 1, but I haven't exactly been running the numbers.

You cast Fire3 when you're swapping from Blizzard phase, and vice versa with Blizz3. That's their main use. Eventually you get a trait where every Fire1 you cast has the chance to give you a free instant Fire3 cast, so that'll be you main rotation at 50 until you get into the 60s, where it changes again and Fire3 goes back to being a phase swapper.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

S.J. posted:

Fire 3/Blizz 3 give you full stacks of their corresponding buff, and cast fast when you have full stacks of the opposite buff. At the very least, you'll use them to swap from Astral Fire 3 to Umbral ice 3, and vice versa. Neither are spammed though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Oohhhh, for some reason it didn't click that it gave me a full stack. So you get them cast faster that way, cool, thanks!

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Eurogoon now in PCD as Elk Cloner.

Thanks for letting my dumb self into this lovely free company. I'm still learning the game (lvl 30) but I'm already enjoying the FC chat.

Goonspeed :tipshat:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Fanfest is approaching - it's all Japanese language with presumably no on-stage translator, but we're getting at least the keynote translated live on-stream.

quote:

Please note that the stage events will be in Japanese, with the keynote address covered live in English on a separate channel. We will announce further details as we near the event.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I mean, at the very worst, there are redditors who do play-by-play to their discord or other twitch streamers who just put up a word doc and translate in real time, no biggie.

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.

https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/00a2988b8ab50c1d01e70d64f510769104dd5817
Going by this, English Language coverage will be on the Official Square Enix Twitch channel

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

S.J. posted:

Oohhhh, for some reason it didn't click that it gave me a full stack. So you get them cast faster that way, cool, thanks!

I’m pretty sure when you get F3 you don’t have the third stack of astral/umbral yet, but it’s still worth it to use. The third stack of ice or fire doesn’t increase mana regen or fire damage/mana cost, it halves the time to cast a spell of the opposing element.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

S.J. posted:

I had the same issue, it's definitely a little opaque bc the other spells say "grants astral fire or removes umbral ice" whereas fire3 says "grants astral fire AND removes umbral ice"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Chakan posted:

I’m pretty sure when you get F3 you don’t have the third stack of astral/umbral yet, but it’s still worth it to use. The third stack of ice or fire doesn’t increase mana regen or fire damage/mana cost, it halves the time to cast a spell of the opposing element.

I thought it did both.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Clarste posted:

I thought it did both.

The different stacks of astral do something like

all stacks give x2 mana cost for fire spells

1 stack- 40% increased damage
2 stacks- 60% increased damage
3 stacks- 80% increased damage + 50% faster cast on next ice spell

unless its changed since the last time I checked

e; oh yeah and each astral stack reduces the cost of ice spells by like 10% each I think

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Tashilicious posted:

I am going to make a pink flower princess glam for maining DRK through Shadowbringers.

So this Dragon Age art, but with a bigger sword

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tashilicious posted:

I mean, these were taken a few weeks before the Flower Crown came out, but...

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

understood! (am bad at /gpose though)

...I feel like this has the same energy.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I'm approaching level 50 and it it looks like the MSQ is coming to a head. I just got access to my first dungeon on the duty finder that has an iLevel requirement (45). I hit the requirement by replacing some outdated stuff from the market board.

Going forward once I hit 50 and wrap up the initial MSQ, what are the steps I take to keep upgrading my gear iLevel?

I don't have any expansions yet, and plan to wait until the new one drops in late June/early July to grab them all at once.

I know that there are a lot of 50 story quests before Heavensward. What kind of things should I focus on to keep upgrading my character until I unlock the HW content? And what other ways can I kill time other than leveling up other job classes?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
You can do the atma relic quests, I suppose. I’m not sure if you can buy the rainbow gear without HS but that’s an easy i110

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

I mean, these were taken a few weeks before the Flower Crown came out, but...

...I feel like this has the same energy.

poo poo i keep forgetting about the stormblood dungeon weapons, i need to get those and add them to my drk arms collection

(maybe once shadowbringers drops so i can solo them)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

khysanth posted:

I'm approaching level 50 and it it looks like the MSQ is coming to a head. I just got access to my first dungeon on the duty finder that has an iLevel requirement (45). I hit the requirement by replacing some outdated stuff from the market board.

Going forward once I hit 50 and wrap up the initial MSQ, what are the steps I take to keep upgrading my gear iLevel?

I don't have any expansions yet, and plan to wait until the new one drops in late June/early July to grab them all at once.

I know that there are a lot of 50 story quests before Heavensward. What kind of things should I focus on to keep upgrading my character until I unlock the HW content? And what other ways can I kill time other than leveling up other job classes?

If you want to just keep doing MSQs, eventually it will completely gear you out in pretty good stuff (item level 115/120 stuff). There are a LOT of level 50 MSQs (maybe close to 100?). I was just there as well and I unlocked the crystal tower and the next raid to unlock the alliance raid roulette which is a good way to get a ton of those allagan stones that you can trade in for 120 gear and weapons.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

khysanth posted:

And what other ways can I kill time other than leveling up other job classes?

The Gold Saucer is chock full of ways to kill time. Collect all the Triple Triad cards. Grind MGP for mounts. Play mahjong all day long (and that's just one match). Level up a racing chocobo, then retire it to breed, repeating as necessary until you have produced the perfect thoroughbred of chocobo incest.

Two words: BIG FISHING

You'll stay busy.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's also Beast Tribe quests, which, while interesting (and sometimes repetitive) are limited on a daily basis so you can't just grind through them in one sitting.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

What are the best things to get from raising beast tribe faction?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

drat Dirty Ape posted:

You get mounts, minions, titles, a cool storyline when you do all of them, and also they sell midlevel crafting materials.

Although this doesn't apply to our friend without the expansions some of the mounts are really neat and all of them can fly now.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Some of the stories are drat funny.

Guuse
May 11, 2009

khysanth posted:

I started a little while ago but I only recently started messing around with /gpose. It's a whole new time vampire activity for me!

"Hello fellow Dark Knights! You can tell I, too, am a Dark Knight because of my giant sword!"

"Hah I have stolen your queue Mr. Dark Knight! So, who's gonna tank this instance?"

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

khysanth posted:

Doing high level content like roulettes, 50 dungeons, and the alliance raids will give you tomestones of poetics. You can trade those in, in mor dhona for high ilevel level 50 ironworks gear

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Thank you all, very helpful.

I also found this link that seems to be a really thorough resource for people in my position:

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Level_50_Progression_Guide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Thanks to the friendly goon who helped me farm Seiryu this evening.