Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for refusing to replace a drink that my toddler knocked over because the girl was rude.

I was at baggage claim at the airport with my son, who’s 3. We were leaving and as we’re walking away, this girl yells “excuse me!” At me. I turn and she points to her Starbucks drink which is spilled on the floor and says “your kid did that.”

I ask my son if he spilled it and he said he bumped it. The girl says “it was $5” and looks at me expectantly. I was pissed about how rude she was and the way she was just looking at me and expecting me to pay for her mocha frappa-whatever without even asking, so I just shrugged and walked away. My partner called me an rear end in a top hat when I told her the story. AITA?

How hosed does your brain have to be to think someone is being rude for pointing out that you/your kid spilled their drink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JFairfax posted:

lol american culture is so loving toxic

that's wealth culture, not american culture. where you from?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Serephina posted:

There's a lot of stdh.txt that happens on reddit, with people being wronged in such a comically over the top fashion and how the perpetrators get their comeuppance.

But this, not a whiff of it! And there's nothing not to love. One bit she missed out on at the time, is that the parents, upon finding drugs they officially don't approve of, immediately try to steal and consume them. And then rapidly backpedal when it's not a good trip. I love it so muuch, unf.

There was a different story not too long ago that somebody's FWB left hash(?) in their bathroom, they did it and later told them they'd gotten ripped off, because they didn't get a buzz.

The 'hash' was also coincidentally African black soap.

I haven't seen that soap before, does it look/smell like some seriously primo poo poo?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

marijuanamancer posted:

that's wealth culture, not american culture. where you from?

america is the place where they get in a tizzy about engagement ring size.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

LadyPictureShow posted:

There was a different story not too long ago that somebody's FWB left hash(?) in their bathroom, they did it and later told them they'd gotten ripped off, because they didn't get a buzz.

The 'hash' was also coincidentally African black soap.

I haven't seen that soap before, does it look/smell like some seriously primo poo poo?

looks like hash

but the clue will be that it smells like soap and not like loving hashish

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most of the people super-paranoid about drugs are basically doing it out of jealousy, I'm sure. And/or get all their ideas about drugs from TV where you taste the cocaine.

Um, are you under the impression that a person (even if only vaguely) experienced with drugs can’t taste something and know if it’s cocaine? Cuz I have some info for you...

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My SO (26F) doesn't seem to be happy with her engagement ring. Should I (30M) offer to upgrade it next year?

I'm 32 and I thought our generation was less materialistic on the whole and didn't care as much about the excesses of gross, abusive diamond culture like our parents. gently caress that noise. I feel so bad for that dude who tried his best and is getting treated like garbage for not spending thousands on some over-the-top huge ring. gently caress.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JFairfax posted:

america is the place where they get in a tizzy about engagement ring size.

so you're saying america started people having opinions about wedding contribution sizes?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

marijuanamancer posted:

so you're saying america started people having opinions about wedding contribution sizes?

An engagement ring is nothing to do with the wedding contribution, and yes it was an American advertising campaign by de beers which suggested that a man should spend three months salary on an engagement ring.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I'm 32 and I thought our generation was less materialistic on the whole and didn't care as much about the excesses of gross, abusive diamond culture like our parents. gently caress that noise. I feel so bad for that dude who tried his best and is getting treated like garbage for not spending thousands on some over-the-top huge ring. gently caress.

we don't know the whole story, maybe she just didn't like the design, or perhaps she didn't even want a diamond ring in the first place. seems to me like asking your partner to go ring shopping as a form of proposal might be a lot more practical. the whole ritual of proposing with the ring in the box is a product of DeBeers marketing in any case and we would likely be better off if it was done away with

on the other hand, perhaps it really is a case of keeping up with the joneses, since she does seem to have a lot of friends and family who spent more money

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

we don't know the whole story, maybe she just didn't like the design, or perhaps she didn't even want a diamond ring in the first place. seems to me like asking your partner to go ring shopping as a form of proposal might be a lot more practical. the whole ritual of proposing with the ring in the box is a product of DeBeers marketing in any case and we would likely be better off if it was done away with

on the other hand, perhaps it really is a case of keeping up with the joneses, since she does seem to have a lot of friends and family who spent more money

The most shocking thing of all is that there is one simple way to find out!

Communication!

Like why not just loving ask her? Jesus.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

probably because he is scared of the answer, of course. it is the reason most people don't ask those kinds of questions

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for cussing out my in-laws for going through my luggage?

"my father-in-law ate my soap and yelled at me about it. aita?"

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for refusing to replace a drink that my toddler knocked over because the girl was rude.

"i didn't watch my toddler and they destroyed a stranger's food and i just shrugged and walked away. aita?"

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 18, 2019

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We did engagement Ear Rings with Tear Drop sapphires and like a string of tiny diamonds. They're really cute.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ya rings have nothing to do with wedding contributions but drat it better be huge af

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

uncertainty posted:

Dude talks Japanese to her even though she is Chinese suggesting he is more into the concept of her being Asian than actually into her as a person, that would bother me if I were her.

Missed that.

The word he uses before he goes down on her means "bon appetit" which is even more cringe incuding.

Pathetic loving pedo weeb* needs to be kicked to the curb

* but I repeat myself

Leon Einstein posted:

Why would you be pissed someone expected you to replace it? That's normal and reasonable.

She didn't respect him :argh:

I'm going to bet those were literally the word he used.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

JFairfax posted:

looks like hash

It was probably one of these:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That looks like a fruit cake not hash

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Hash brownie.

Would still smell like loving soap though.

Stupid in-laws trying to steal drugs and getting high and mighty about it :laffo:

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

JFairfax posted:

That looks like a fruit cake not hash

Yeah but do those people even remotely seem like they would know the difference?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA if I explain to my best friend that he handled his birthday gift from his girlfriend poorly?

My friend (we'll call him Jeff) recently celebrated his 20th birthday and I drove 250 miles to see him. Before I left his girlfriend (let's call her Liz) was asking if the gift she had bought for him, a copy of Super Mario Party for the Switch, would be a good gift. I already had a copy of the game so I offered to play using my copy before she presented the gift to him so he would be familiar with the game.

Fast forward to his birthday, the first issue arises. I asked if he was interested in joining us playing the game and he was immediately not interested. Jeff insisted that it was his birthday so he should get to choose what we play. Not wanting to create an argument we conceded and played his choice of Smash Ultimate. We still had fun it just put a wrench in the original plan.

After we wrap up Liz gives his gift to him. Second issue. Jeff is underwhelmed at receiving it and remarks that it's nice, but not what he was hoping for. Since we had wrapped up playing Smash Jeff asked if we wanted to go to the mall. It's a short drive away and we needed to do a little shopping anyway so we agreed.

I didn't realize until we got to the mall that Jeff had brought Mario Party with him. He was driving and had parked us at the entrance closest to GameStop. As soon as we enter the mall he makes a pretty direct route to GameStop. By this time Liz has also realized what is going to happen and she is just barely holding back tears.

He returns the brand new unopened copy of Mario Party for Let's Go Eevee. We leave GameStop for another store and I go shopping with Liz. Jeff remained outside with a third friend, Monty. While talking to Monty, Jeff tried to rationalize returning his gift for another game. He claimed he knew Liz was interested in Eevee and they would never really appreciate Mario Party.

Would I be the rear end in a top hat if I tried to explain to him that his decision to immediately return his gift in front of his girlfriend who got it for him?

Edit TLDR: My best friend returned a birthday gift his gf bought him immediately after receiving it and with her in the store.

Edit 2: This post has only been up for three hours but I've seen enough comments about it that I think it needs to be said. I'm not asking you to be judge and jury about their relationship, I'm not trying to be. I'm asking if you think my opinion on what happened would help him understand the gravity of what he did or if I should let them sort it out themselves. They're both adults and perfectly capable of talking to one another about their own relationship. Your comment isn't helpful if you say "they should break up" and making a mistake doesn't make you abusive.

Edit 3: Jeff is not autistic, stop theorizing about his mental health. Comments about autism aren't helpful judgements of assholiness. If you're not going to use your rear end in a top hat-o-meter then just please don't comment. I'm not here for games or validation, I love my friends and I want to help them in the best way possible.

Edit 4: Used "advice" too much.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Jeff's a oval office

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
reminds me of nineteen ninety-eight when the Undertaker threw Mankind off hеll in a cell, and plummeted sixteen feet through an announcer’s table.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

marijuanamancer posted:

reminds me of nineteen ninety-eight when the Undertaker threw Mankind off hеll in a cell, and plummeted sixteen feet through an announcer’s table.

This sounds like a creation myth.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

M.C. McMic posted:

His girlfriend is an insecure idiot. If the roles were reversed and this was a man working on Wall Street with a girlfriend working at TGI Fridays, and he was ashamed of her show up in her work clothes, you would tripping over yourself to poo poo on him. Instead you're like, "durr well, professional status is totally a thing! Poor lady." Okay then.

I agree, elitist assholes are elitist assholes regardless of their gender, gently caress people who poo poo on blue collar workers and gently caress the places that encourage or allow that kind of culture/behavior

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

[KY] My mother (48F) got pulled over with marijuana purchased recreationally in a different state. Cop is telling her they’ll reduce the charges if she doesn’t hire a lawyer.

Hey LA!

I’m posting this for my mother, who recently made a trip to Colorado and brought about 3.5 ounces of marijuana flower back home. She was nearly home when a cop pulled her over, searched the car, and arrested her.

Side note, police in her town are notorious for harassing people. They will line up on the main highway and pull anyone over for no reason, presumably for an excuse to search the car for drugs. There is a large heroin problem there and tons of people have overdosed within the past 5 years so it’s the number one priority to the police force at the moment.

When she was pulled over, the cop said she was swerving heavily (untrue but she doesn’t have a dash cam to prove she wasn’t) She was going right below the speed limit, and was sober at the time (confirmed by a roadside oral swab). The officer asked her several times if she had “drugs, spoons, needles, pipes, anything” and she stated no, then they brought a dog to search the car anyway.

They opened the trunk and found the goods. She was arrested at this point, charged with 2 felonies, and taken to prison. This was Sunday night. She was charged with having over 8 ounces, when she had less than half than that so the charge became a felony vs. misdemeanor.

Fast forward to Thursday, she went to pre trial, was released, and has an upcoming court date in two weeks. She went to the police station to retrieve her belongings and the cop who pulled her over was there, and inquired about her obtaining a lawyer. He stated he was at the arraignment and heard she was hiring her own, and proceeded to say he originally weighed wrong and she actually only had 3.5 ounces. and encouraged her not to hire one because they’re going to reduce charges to a misdemeanor

While this seems good, I’m wondering if my mom should follow this advice or if the police may be trying to pull a fast one on her. I know getting a lawyer is always good advice, and I encouraged her to still seek one out. But maybe she’d be okay with a public defender or hiring a lawyer with a smaller fee, to save money. Is this a common thing that occurs or are the police trying to cover something up?

I appreciate any responses in advance!

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

JFairfax posted:

looks like hash

Just gotta get in a plug for Nubian Heritage products here, speaking of. I'm pretty drat white but my skin is super-dry (if you don't think ashy white girls exist you clearly haven't seen me in January) and their stuff is just magical. Esp the honey and black seed body wash.

I guess their patchouli soap might smell like hashish, a little, but mostly it smells like stoners. The African black soap smells like soap.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

[KY] My mother (48F) got pulled over with marijuana purchased recreationally in a different state. Cop is telling her they’ll reduce the charges if she doesn’t hire a lawyer.

The cops are 115% attempting to gently caress her over.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

therobit posted:

They are totally in the wrong for going through your poo poo, but a sad fact of life is that you may as well hit the eject button now because after cussing them out you have torpedoed any chance you might have had at a normal relationship with your in laws. And you do NOT want to have a hosed up relationship with your spouse's family, especially if you wind up having kids.

It depends on how the fiance feels about basically having minimal contact with his parents from there on out. They sound like huge assholes so he may even just be cool with practically cutting contact. He may have even been doing that already and this was a reluctant attempt to have them meet his future spouse, to see if they've matured or grown out of past lovely behaviors.

lovely inlaws alone aren't enough to torpedo a relationship imo

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 18, 2019

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkJets posted:

It depends on how the fiance feels about basically having minimal contact with his parents from there on out. They sound like huge assholes so he may even just be cool with practically cutting contact. He may have even been doing that already and this was a reluctant attempt to have them hit his future spouse.

lovely inlaws alone aren't enough to torpedo a relationship imo

For sure. It sounds like the fiancé is chilling with her and if he's sticking up for her over his parents then that is fine. Not having to deal with lovely inlaws is probably a net win for her in the long run.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

The cops are 115% attempting to gently caress her over.

Why such a low number?

The real question is if every post saying get a lawyer is getting deleted.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Smirking_Serpent posted:

If she’s dumb enough to trust literally anything the cops say, maybe it’ll do her some good to be sent somewhere where her bologna sandwiches, lodging, and cellmate arrangements are all taken care of by the state.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Oh I found that other post about idiots discovering weird-looking soap!

He (34M)accused me of leaving crack behind in his bathroom. Then he smoked the mystery substance! What is wrong with people.

quote:

I met this guy on a dating app. Things were going well, we had been on a few dates, for about 6 weeks I would say. The last time I was over at his place, things went really well and I thought I would definitely like to see more of him...

I didn't hear back from him for 3 weeks, when I did, he asked me if I had left crack behind in his bathroom! WTF, I had no idea what he was talking about. I smoke hash, I asked if it was my hash but he said, it was defiantly not hash. I was baffelled at this, what is he going on about. I thought.

2 weeks, still, no sounds from him again! I bump into him at a local club. We go out for a smoke, because i want to understand what this mystery substance was. We are out side having a smoke, he starts describing the packaging that the "mystery" substance was in, a small clear container, with round pellets. He continues to tell me that, he smoked it and that it "didn't burn" OMG, I looked at him in horror, he smoked my African black SOAP! I had left some of my toiletries behind, in his bathroom. The African black soap was in a clear, round container. How stupid do you have to be to smoke something you don't know...

Edit: I just shared this post with him... His response was. "I'm still blowing bubbles"

Td;lr. A guy I dated accused me of leaving crack in his house, then later smoked it himself! Turns out, he smoked my black African SOAP!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for being upset that my boyfriend would want DNA testing done if I had a baby?

Let me start by saying that we've been together for 3 years and have a great and very loving relationship with mutual respect. We do plan to marry eventually.

We were casually talking about what we'd do if I became pregnant, and he said that a DNA test would need to happen once I had the child. His reasoning for this is because he doesn't "want his family's name ruined" over a girl, referring to his family's strong background within the military and line of ancestry. He insists that it's not because he doesn't trust me, but rather more of a reassurance thing.

I would never even think to cheat or betray his trust in any way. Am I wrong for having my feelings kinda hurt over this?

Update: I did not tell him it made me upset or start a fight over it. I would not refuse to take the test if it gave him peace of mind. It just caught me off guard by him saying something like that.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for leaving my pregnant gf after a fake "miscarriage"?

Basically my parents, her parents, and nearly all my friends are calling me the rear end in a top hat for breaking up with my pregnant girlfriend (it's my kid) so Just looking for perspective here. I'll keep things as objective as possible and happily accept my final judgement.

​3 months ago we found out that my gf (or ex now) is pregnant. It was a big surprise since we take precautions (condoms, BC) but she said it might've been a broken condom + she was bad about staying on BC routinely. Regardless, it was confirmed she's pregnant. I'm 21 and she's 20.

​I took the news badly at first. I became surly, didn't talk, and just kept to myself for 2 whole days right after she told me. I was terrified and did NOT want to be a father at all. I just needed time to adjust to the news. I think she expected happiness from both of us as she imagined I'd scoop her up and kiss her and cry tears of happiness after hearing she's pregnant (I know this bc she even referenced that scene in The Office where pam/jim find out they're having a baby).

​Our relationship during this time was extremely rocky because she wanted us to be engaged before the baby came, and I dragged my feet. I took her to all of her appointments, paid for as much as I could afford, and was there 24/7 for anything she needed. I guess it was more emotional connection that I just couldn't force through and she could tell.

​A few weeks ago she sits me down and tells me she lost the baby. She says she had stomach cramps and then she miscarried. I was asking her a lot of health questions (I didn't know if a miscarriage this late into a pregnancy was normal?) and she kinda waves me off and is like don't worry I'm ok. After this our relationship's getting slightly better only because I'm slightly more relaxed now. She could tell and asks me to be honest about how I feel about the miscarriage. I tell her I'm sad it's happened so suddenly and mostly still worried for her but deep down I am really relieved because I 100% wasn't ready to be a father.

​WRONG answer. She starts screaming, crying, throwing things at me. She says she's not miscarried, that it was a test to see my dedication and I've failed it completely. In short we fought for like 3 whole days after this, with little sleep bc she'd randomly throw cups of icy water on me if I dozed off. At the end of that I said I can't do this anymore and broke up with her. I told her I'll be there for the baby and I'll pay my share of whatever is needed but I can't be her boyfriend and I can't marry her.

-----
Now friends and family are all telling ME that I overreacted, that its just pregnancy hormones and could I blame her? Everyone's saying things like "you can't leave a 20 year old girl to be a single mother" but I know that if I married her it could be the worst mistake of my life. AITA?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for being upset that my boyfriend would want DNA testing done if I had a baby?

Let me start by saying that we've been together for 3 years and have a great and very loving relationship with mutual respect. We do plan to marry eventually.

We were casually talking about what we'd do if I became pregnant, and he said that a DNA test would need to happen once I had the child. His reasoning for this is because he doesn't "want his family's name ruined" over a girl, referring to his family's strong background within the military and line of ancestry. He insists that it's not because he doesn't trust me, but rather more of a reassurance thing.

I would never even think to cheat or betray his trust in any way. Am I wrong for having my feelings kinda hurt over this?

Update: I did not tell him it made me upset or start a fight over it. I would not refuse to take the test if it gave him peace of mind. It just caught me off guard by him saying something like that.

These staunch conservative military dudes are so stupid, the worst outcome for him is everyone finding out that his wife gave birth to someone else's child, which is only provable by making her take a paternity test in the first place. And asking for the test proves that he's a genetically weak candidate for fatherhood hahaha

Good on him for making those requirements clear up-front instead of springing them on her, he gets credit for that at least. Now she can leave him and find someone better

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Smirking_Serpent posted:

His reasoning for this is because he doesn't "want his family's name ruined" over a girl

Lifetip: if you ever meet someone who uses the words "family name" seriously, just loving turn around and leave.

Also, "over a girl"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Youll be 39 when youre done with paying child support and evey time you wake up not being splashed with ice water youll remember it was worth it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I appreciate that the "I have absolutely no reason to assume my GF/wife cheated on me but I demand a paternity test anyway" guys are starting to push their poo poo to pre-conception, so now their partners can get away before they conceive a child with these dumb fucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

QuarkJets posted:

And asking for the test proves that he's a genetically weak candidate for fatherhood hahaha

Because he’s... not virile enough or something? I don’t get it.