Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Iwai has a request at Rank 9 also. Have you checked your Mementos requests? You can still go in at this point. I'm around the same point in NG+ and have 1 or 2 accepted requests to finish, and the final floors of Mementos.

e: On Stone of Scone you may get lucky with Futaba's ability which puts you in automatic Hold Up state. Either that or maybe pull a low level Persona with Eiga? Not sure whether that will still be enough to one-shot it or not.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cruiserweight
Nov 14, 2012

Live Mas

Do a NG++, because it will be significantly harder to max all confidants without max social skills or carried over money (Chihaya). For the treasure demons, just use Tower's down shot ability. It's a guaranteed hold up without the risk of killing them.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

irlZaphod posted:

Iwai has a request at Rank 9 also. Have you checked your Mementos requests? You can still go in at this point. I'm around the same point in NG+ and have 1 or 2 accepted requests to finish, and the final floors of Mementos.

e: On Stone of Scone you may get lucky with Futaba's ability which puts you in automatic Hold Up state. Either that or maybe pull a low level Persona with Eiga? Not sure whether that will still be enough to one-shot it or not.

Yeah I have zero Mementos requests open, sadly. IIRC, Iwai's gets you from 8 - 9 with him. Fairly sure I can still max him anyway. Isn't the cutoff 12/22 for just about everything?

Eiga definitely will still one-shot it. :(

Cruiserweight posted:

Do a NG++, because it will be significantly harder to max all confidants without max social skills or carried over money (Chihaya). For the treasure demons, just use Tower's down shot ability. It's a guaranteed hold up without the risk of killing them.

Oh nice! Didn't know this about Down Shot.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

p3's "memento mori" theme is really loving funny in retrospect because it limits the thanatos complex to the mere existential ennui that characterized the early oughts, whereas now we have many more people who absolutely don't care if they die because it's clear that the future is desolate no matter what

if nyx descended on the world in 2020 it'd be like stomping on an anthill only to hear a million tiny voices go "thaaaank yooooou"

But Oxxidation, we don't want you to die. You're so cool, we'd be sad at school.

NikkolasKing posted:

Check out antinatalism,negative utilitarianism, the works of Arthur Schopenhauer and maybe Buddhism or Hinduism.

"Life sucks" is not a niche idea to SA. I dare say it has more philosophical worth than that.

#NikkolasKingDontDoit

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

we're supposed to hear about p5r this month

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I noticed how close to plat I was in P4G just from playing it (though that quiz show trophy sucked!) and thought I'd go for it and I have every trophy except the Rise battle comments and fuuuuuuck that, same with Futaba in P5, those trophies are a massive pain in the rear end to get, but if you're going for it, good luck on that because those two trophies are by far the hardest to get in those games.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Stare-Out posted:

I noticed how close to plat I was in P4G just from playing it (though that quiz show trophy sucked!) and thought I'd go for it and I have every trophy except the Rise battle comments and fuuuuuuck that, same with Futaba in P5, those trophies are a massive pain in the rear end to get, but if you're going for it, good luck on that because those two trophies are by far the hardest to get in those games.

I got Futaba's merely by playing. Apparently it goes fairly quickly if you just switch up the Party members a lot, since she has unique lines for each of them.

I picked up a PSTV and will be starting P4G for the first time soon, so I can't say on that one.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

HaB posted:

I got Futaba's merely by playing. Apparently it goes fairly quickly if you just switch up the Party members a lot, since she has unique lines for each of them.

I picked up a PSTV and will be starting P4G for the first time soon, so I can't say on that one.

That's encouraging to hear, I've had a lot of trouble with that trophy in P4G even though I switched up party members and took my time in dungeons. Maybe the Memetos in P5 help you catch up on it since P4G doesn't really have an equivalent unless you grind like mad in the main dungeons, which would be my main advice if you're planning on platting P4G. Obviously play through it normal at first and don't worry about trophy hunting. In fact, you'll get most of them just playing through the thing but stuff like all social links, social stats, and P4G's version of Futaba's battle lines is something you should worry about on subsequent playthroughs.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

HaB posted:

So first a question, then depending on that, some guidance:

I am trying to Platinum the game. I have reached Shido's Palace on NG+, and I think in my button mashing to skip past dialog for where FFWD wasn't available, I missed accepting a Mementos request, which I fear means I can no longer Max out Mishima. This also means missing out on: Completing all Mementos Requests, Maxing all Confidants, Collecting all Personas (can't fuse the Rank 10 Moon Persona (Sandalphon), which means I can't fuse Metatron which means I can't fuse Satanael), and makes Beating the Twins much more difficult (can't fuse up the nigh-unbeatable Yoshitsune to fight them with). I suppose I might be able to hold up a Metatron? Does that persona appear as anything other than just a miniboss later?

So first - am I correct here? The date is around 12/2 or so and I just reached Shido's treasure. Mishima can be found in Akibahara, but every time I talk to him he's basically "I'm super busy right now". Tried Affinity reading for him - no change. I may have missed out on maxing Iwai as well. Those are the only 2, and they are both at 9. Iwai says he doesn't need anything when I say I want to work.

Assuming I AM correct and have messed up, questions about another run:

One other thing I think I have missed is collecting all the treasure demons, with the problem being Stone of Scone. My level is maxed, so even if I equip everyone's weakest weapons/personas, I can't get a Hold Up. It dies in a single hit, be it Phys or Curse (its only weakness). I still need Hope Diamond and Crystal Skull, but I think I can still Hold Up those two since they aren't as squishy, and I have Lucky Punch.

So would I be better off starting a run from scratch (ie, NOT ng+) and following a guide? Or should I do another ng+ run after this one, since all stats are maxed, I got all the trophies for books, games, drinks, fishing, etc. so I could literally focus on NOTHING but Social Links.

I think that one Treasure Demon is going to be the deciding factor, since I can't think of another way to get it.

So yeah - thoughts? suggestions? advice?

Definitely do another NG+ if you miss it this time through. You can't fuse all the personas without being on a NG+, because there's a bonus persona that isn't available in a normal game

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah I got both Rise's and Futaba's trophies just by playing fairly normally.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

HaB posted:

So yeah - thoughts? suggestions? advice?

Depends what you want. I did a Hard Mode fresh playthrough and maxed all confidants, but would never do it again because Hard just isn't fun and all it does is increase the grinding required instead of meaningfully changing your strategy. On the flipside though, I have zero interest in playing a NG+ file because I like the gameplay challenge. So, can you stomach another playthrough where you fast forward every cutscene and dialogue choice and also blow through every fight? Maxing all the confidants is actually really easy if you just have a guide open for a little while, get the gist of things, then take over when you feel comfortable. I only used a guide for the first two months and still finished the links on a fresh save, most of the things the guide is good for is the little tricks, like knowing when certain people are scripted to call you for hangouts.

I know how you feel though. In my second playthrough I managed to read every book except one, it was one of the ones in the school library, but after I gave up on it I learned you eventually regain access to the library for JUST enough time in December to borrow the book and finish it, so I had to double back to a month earlier save point and re-read them all.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Super No Vacancy posted:

we're supposed to hear about p5r this month

Yeah, I saw a bunch of new posts in the thread, and I got all excited because I thought they announced something, but then it just turned about to be talk about the other games, which I skipped over (since I would still like to play Persona 3 & 4 at some point).

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Depends what you want. I did a Hard Mode fresh playthrough and maxed all confidants, but would never do it again because Hard just isn't fun and all it does is increase the grinding required instead of meaningfully changing your strategy. On the flipside though, I have zero interest in playing a NG+ file because I like the gameplay challenge. So, can you stomach another playthrough where you fast forward every cutscene and dialogue choice and also blow through every fight? Maxing all the confidants is actually really easy if you just have a guide open for a little while, get the gist of things, then take over when you feel comfortable. I only used a guide for the first two months and still finished the links on a fresh save, most of the things the guide is good for is the little tricks, like knowing when certain people are scripted to call you for hangouts.

I know how you feel though. In my second playthrough I managed to read every book except one, it was one of the ones in the school library, but after I gave up on it I learned you eventually regain access to the library for JUST enough time in December to borrow the book and finish it, so I had to double back to a month earlier save point and re-read them all.

So turns out I did NOT gently caress up Mishima OR Mementos. So All Requests are now complete and Moon is maxed. I just beat the Twins. All that's left is to max out Iwai and fuse the highest Hanged Man Persona to complete the list. Not sure if I missed him, yet. It's 12/14, and I have already completed Shido's Palace. Just waiting for the fallout now. Hopefully I will have time. Iwai is still insisting he doesn't need me.

So I guess we'll see. I can do another FFWD playthrough at lvl 99 with ridiculously OP Personas. It's not like you EVER have to fight anything. Ambush just gives you the mask. Really the only thing that takes an annoying amount of time is the Rat floors in Shido's palace, but even that's not super long

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Update: finished my run, got everything but two trophies:

- Baton Pass 3x in a single round
- Craftworker

Still can't figure out how I missed craftworker, to be honest. I think it's because I had Kawakami make some tools early on, which apparently don't count towards the trophy, and despite the fact that I was trying to go back and make sure I specifically crafted each one, I must have missed one.

Pretty sure I'm gonna have to do Baton Pass on a non-NG+ run. Everyone is lvl 99 now, so I just end up killing everything rather than getting to actually pass the baton. I even tried right before the final boss on super late-game enemies, and managed 2 passes, but the enemies had a tiny sliver of health after the first, so the 2nd killed them. And that was with Personas under lvl 10 I had grabbed for the base versions of skills.

If I do craftworker on NG+ I only have to play up until a little past 7/25 which is when everything becomes available. I suppose I could just grind Mementos until then to collect materials.

Anyway, a bit P5'd out for now, but if anyone has a better plan for knocking out those 2 as efficiently as possible, I'm :allears:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Baton Pass 3x is something which I got fairly early on in my original run, I've always been surprised at how rare it is. It was just one of those situations where I had a mixed mob of enemies with different weaknesses, and wanted to spread the SP usage around.

One thing which killed me for Craftworker was not realising that there were different types of tools. :v:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

3x Baton Pass is actually pretty easy in Kamoshida's palace if you fight the Shadows enough, there's a few combinations of enemies that will have weaknesses to Fire/Wind/Electric/Shadow in some combination that works out for just running through the party. Especially handy is that you can get Joker additional Persona to help spread this out to even more combinations.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

It's easiest to get against enemies weak to Gun, since everyone has Gun. Every palace has at least one, I think, and you can equip low damage guns to not kill them

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I've been grinding the Reaper a little bit, but I'm around Lv 83 now and it's getting to the point where killing him will only gain me one level. :effort: I went through and started filling out the Compendium, I'm up at around 90% now. I still have a lot of the Group Fusions to go.

Any tips for fighting the Twins? Should I be Lv 99?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I did it after the first dungeon with an OP Yoshitsune.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

irlZaphod posted:

Any tips for fighting the Twins? Should I be Lv 99?

Catch Ann and Ryuji up, if they aren't, and use them. Charge/Concentrate are the tits for damage.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Are we getting a P6 or was 5 the last?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ThomasPaine posted:

There was 9 years between 4 and 5, I bet there'll be much less of a gap between 5 and a potential 6 but it'll be a while before they announce it probably. Still got whatever P5R is as well.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Catch Ann and Ryuji up, if they aren't, and use them. Charge/Concentrate are the tits for damage.
Everyone is Lv 83, I don't think Ryuji has Charge anymore though. I may need to pay a visit to the church.

Can you use Skill Cards on other party members? I'm thinking Arms Master/Spellmaster might be useful since the HP and SP requirements for skills in such a long fight are kind of excessive.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
I went the OP Yoshitsune route as well. Only other significant damage dealer was Ann’s Concentrate + Blazing Hell.

Used Morgana as a healer and Mako-Chan was really just along for the ride. Pic is from before I leveled him to 86 to learn Hassou Tobi. But you get the idea. The build is basically “Hope you brought a gun lol”

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

irlZaphod posted:

Everyone is Lv 83, I don't think Ryuji has Charge anymore though. I may need to pay a visit to the church.

Can you use Skill Cards on other party members? I'm thinking Arms Master/Spellmaster might be useful since the HP and SP requirements for skills in such a long fight are kind of excessive.

I'm pretty sure the church confessional is for relearning party skills. I never had a need to try it though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I caught the Guardian last night, I only have a handful more trophies left to get now. I've left a save file in Mementos on one of the Flu Season days, so I can go back whenever I want to continue filling out the Compendium. I discovered that there are a few Treasure demons which I don't have. I got one of them last night, but I'm still missing at least one more. I was getting a bit bored of running through Mementos so I decided to just continue on to get the Guardian and Max All Confidants trophies. I can always go back to that save whenever I feel like it to grind up more levels, complete the compendium and beat the Twins.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Just finished the fifth palace in my NG+ and something I've been meaning to ask ever since my first play, that I'm curious about before I get there a second time -- does the twist they pull on Akechi after the sixth palace, faking Joker's death in the Metaverse, actually hold up against the rules of the world they've established? I'm guessing it's all vague enough that you can't contradict it but I remember being kinda confused the first time I saw it.

Also re: plat chat realized I'm absolutely going to keep playing this as long as I have a PS4 and I guess I'll get it eventually without really trying but I wish I had known that and kept track of the books and games etc.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Just finished the fifth palace in my NG+ and something I've been meaning to ask ever since my first play, that I'm curious about before I get there a second time -- does the twist they pull on Akechi after the sixth palace, faking Joker's death in the Metaverse, actually hold up against the rules of the world they've established? I'm guessing it's all vague enough that you can't contradict it but I remember being kinda confused the first time I saw it.

It actually does, from what I can tell. There are a few components to their plan
A: There has to be a part of the Palace that is identical to reality. This is established as possible in the first Palace, when most of the buildings were the same
B: You have to be able to enter and leave the metaverse without noticing. Again, first Palace. They entered the Metaverse without realizing it.
C: There has to be a copy of Joker in her Palace. This is a tricky bit, but does work. There were multiple cases of copies of people existing in Palaces, but they're usually twisted by that person's desire or perception. So they needed her to have a very good idea of who Joker is, without misconception. Hence the detailed backstory interview.

I feel like they did their work and showed that it was possible before the twist, so that it feels rewarding when it's revealed rather than cheap. I could be missing some stuff though

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

This is it, they're ending it on their best selling game of all time. :v:

The director of p3/4/5 stepped down to go do something else, so it might be a bit before we hear anything.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:toot:

https://twitter.com/figsoku/status/1106030568506941440?s=20

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Man the section between the fifth and sixth palaces has to be the worst part of the English localization. The takoyaki scene is chock full of nonsense dialogue and a day or two later Ryuji is saying "That's the same as dumping our aesthetics again cause we only care about our hides!"

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So I just rescued Kanji on my first-ever playthrough of P4G, which I picked up because I loved P5 so much.

I'm starting to think that P4G might be the better game.

The Cons:

It's not as tightly focused as P5 (quests? meh. Too many SLinks to begin with, etc.), and has some QoL issues (minor ones, mostly. One of the best improvements P5 made was showing SLink icons on the map screen. The lack of that in P4G is exacerbated by the fact that there are too many SLinks. So you have to walk around a bit before you find some random you are supposed to talk to in order to advance the link. See also: quests.) . Being able to fast travel to specific shops/locations is something I miss, but none of the areas in 4 are huge, so lack of it isn't a big deal. Some of the social links I don't understand (yet?). In that I don't understand why a particular character is assigned the arcana they have. Like - obvious in 5 why Sae is Judgement. But why on earth is Nanako Judgement in 4? But, admittedly I'm not super far in, so perhaps there will be some plot reveal that helps me to understand why.

This complaint is totally on me, but it's so ingrained to use the Triangle button to change Personas during combat, that in 4 I am constantly starting a Rush accidentally.

My biggest complaint is the lack of Safe Rooms, or some way to save inside a dungeon and/or being able to start partway in on later attempts. Having to trudge through lower levels again is tedious.

The Pros:

The SLinks, particularly Nanako/Dojima and all of the Investigation Team ones are MUCH better than P5's. In 5 I felt like I was just pushing a dialog forward, waiting for the "I think I understand X better now." But 4 is well written enough that I feel closer to the character based on the actual text of the conversation,. I assume it's also because of how those characters get added to the party, in that you witness the True Feelings they have been suppressing. And the family stuff actually feels like you're becoming closer knit as a family.

I also think the story is better. Or at the very least, moves forward better and is more tightly focused. P5 had all the beginning stuff. Showing up branded as a delinquent, then stumbling into the first Castle, etc. Perhaps since it was my first Persona game I spent a lot of the early game having no idea what the story was really about. P4, at least so far is: murder mystery, which is an easy thing to grasp.

Shuffle Time is a really cool mechanic I wish they had brought forward. I am also hoping that other characters have combo finishers like Chie & Yukiko's Twin Dragons.

I haven't done any dungeon running with Kanji yet, so I don't know what his role is, but I will say this:

Chie is the better Ryuji. Also, nearly every time she Galactic Punts something into the stratosphere, I start giggling like a schoolgirl. :v:

Anyway, totally worth the money I spent on eBay for a NIB PSTV so I could play it on the big tv. Great fuckin' game for sure.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk. So do I just get my food at the next window or....?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

P5 is the better mechanical game. I'm still mad I don't see more RPGs with the streamlined battle system like Persona 5 has. The non randomized palaces have more charm.

P4 is the better game about people. Your bros and girl bros all seem to matter more and care about each other more. There are some problems, but I never felt like the P5 group would ever hang out with each other if it wasn't for the plot pushing them together.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

waah posted:

P5 is the better mechanical game. I'm still mad I don't see more RPGs with the streamlined battle system like Persona 5 has. The non randomized palaces have more charm.

P4 is the better game about people. Your bros and girl bros all seem to matter more and care about each other more. There are some problems, but I never felt like the P5 group would ever hang out with each other if it wasn't for the plot pushing them together.

:hmmyes:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

HaB posted:

Chie is the better Ryuji. Also, nearly every time she Galactic Punts something into the stratosphere, I start giggling like a schoolgirl. :v:

Chie is more Yusuke than Ryuji. :v: Kanji is the actual Ryuji analogue.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kanji has no analogue. He stands alone on Mt Awesome as a shining example of a complex character who can also serve as comic relief. I actually can't think of many more complex character in video games and certainly not in the rest of the Persona series.

Edit Note: I have not beaten P5. Probably not even half way through, so my opinion on Kanji might change.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Man the section between the fifth and sixth palaces has to be the worst part of the English localization. The takoyaki scene is chock full of nonsense dialogue and a day or two later Ryuji is saying "That's the same as dumping our aesthetics again cause we only care about our hides!"

I wonder just how many groups worked on it. When the game first dropped, a localization team was complaining about it but nobody paid much attention to them because they worked on Fire Emblem Fates which I am told also has bad localization (or certainly not as good as Awakening which everybody loves). What they were ragging on was early stuff and complaining about what amounted to taste issues, and apparently quit playing before it actually gets bad.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

square is fast travel in p4g isn't it

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Super No Vacancy posted:

square is fast travel in p4g isn't it

It is, but it only takes you to areas/sub areas. There's no analogue to P5's being able to travel directly to the Airsoft shop or Big Bang Burger, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I just typed out a post asking what people would think if P6 went more "open world" and then decided Persona doesn't need open world because it's Persona and I cancelled my post. Then I came back to type this just to see what others thought.