Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Yeah if I was pregnant with one I'd already be scared. Four sounds loving horrifying and painful. Pretty sure the life and wellbeing of the already grown human outweighs the potential life of some cells. I mean the least that can be done is that at least she gets to pick. Poor lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Anne Whateley posted:

I took those words directly from the OP

If he were making $50k as an office worker and she was angry at him for not being a CEO, I would agree that would be bad. If she wanted him to be rich so she could do nothing, of course that would be bad.

But if she wants him to be ambitious meaning someday not working an absolutely terrible job with zero benefits and no apparent future, idk that seems reasonable. I wouldn't be involved with someone who can't pull their own weight, because I just can't afford to support two people.

Only a millionaire is 1000% safe, but there really are a lot of people who get in car accidents and don't become homeless. I had a dumb injury last year and even though I have health insurance, it ended up costing me like $1k, but I was able to pay both that and rent, and my job also let me keep working despite mobility issues. I was definitely not equally hosed as a busboy would've been

You paraphrased the post into a conversation that cast her in a better light than what she actually said, and are acting like it was a direct quote

There is absolutely no indicator that he's destitute or not "pulling his weight", you're also making that up

You'd think if he were coming to her for money all the time, she'd mention that, but no, she doesn't, presumably because he isn't

Stop making things up wholecloth and contorting yourself here, geeze

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe
I'd lean into the designer babies thing, keep the 2 boys and name them Solid and Liquid.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Anne Whateley posted:

It wasn't the OP's choice as some kind of individual thing. It sounds like you're just hearing about it, but selective reduction is the norm in IVF -- it has been for 30 years. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_reduction

It's only weird when someone doesn't do it, that's when you get octomom.

The only slightly unusual/controversial thing was basing it on sex, but obviously if they knew the sex and nothing else, whatever decision they made about which to keep would be based on the sex.

Yea octomom was mishandled, I got to hear a few knowledgeable rants from an obs/gyn doctor friend.

Upon re-reading the post, I guess saying that Mom was right is too strong of a stance. The OP making that choice is fine (thanks for giving it a name, I vaguely knew zygote picking happens but nothing proper), and mom calling her privileged is off base. All I really read/saw was the Designer baby comment which I still feel is on point. Let me put it this way: hypothetically, if the doctors could tell mom nothing but the colour of the child's hair, or their height, and she responded with delight of 'Oh, I always wanted tall blond kids, yes please!', is that any worse? How about other attributes we might be able to find genetically, such as predisposition towards music, or social grace? Designer babies means a very specific thing of genetically altering the fetuses, which doesn't apply here, but the tone is clear. She had an arbitrary trait she wanted in her kids and selected for it. It's Eugenics, which is an ugly word, but only the most mild, milquetoast incarnation thereof.

As for the others asking what she could of done... don't pick? Ask the doctors to choose whichever they feel are best positioned, and if they are all the same (probably), then grab two and random and tell the happy expectant parents if they're having boys or girls. Mom's being a bitch about it, but you are basically picking your child's sex from a brochure. 'Oh, I always wanted girls, the twins please!'

Just own it.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Bring on Gattaca imo

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
its almost like choosing the gender of your children in the absence of all other information, and designing your very own aryan superbaby, arent the same thing

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Serephina posted:

I fully support a persons choice to remove non-sentient parasites. Just don't candy coat it. 'Designer Babies' means a very specific thing, and the OP's choice was a clear step in that direction. Smilie face.

You are a loving moron

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I mean, it's her body, isn't it literally her choice? It's lovely for anyone else to analyze it, imo, and by being all fussy about her decision you really don't come across any better than anti-choice people. If she's happy with her decision, and her partner's happy, then shut the gently caress up!

although tbh I do think the twin-bond idea is weird and people's obsession with twins is extremely weird, but whatever.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Scathach posted:

I mean the least that can be done is that at least she gets to pick.

Yeah, it was really heartwarming when Meryl Streep’s character was given agency over her future in Sophie’s Choice.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

I always love the ones where the title obviously makes them the rear end in a top hat but then it gets turned around and they're the hero
[/quote]

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

big dyke energy posted:

I mean, it's her body, isn't it literally her choice? It's lovely for anyone else to analyze it, imo, and by being all fussy about her decision you really don't come across any better than anti-choice people. If she's happy with her decision, and her partner's happy, then shut the gently caress up!

Yeah, you can't be pro-choice except when you're not. And technically being in favor of the right to choose while also accusing someone of playing god and going "down the road to damnation" for exercising that choice puts you on about the same level as being anti-choice as far as I'm concerned. Especially since they're ignoring the clear medical implications of that pregnancy.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I'm not sure you have to be in favor of sex-selective abortion to call yourself pro-choice. If she had said she wanted to keep the boys I think some people might have a problem with that.

Obviously this is a different situation than most given that she really needs to jettison two fetuses and has limited information. She wants the identical twins rather than the fraternal twins. I would think you might NOT want to go with both identical twins in case there is some genetic issue with them, and I think she is being weird, but what other information does she have to go on? Personally I would want a girl and a boy and ask the doctor to randomly select which girl and boy get removed, but it's not like they're is any easy or correct choice here.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

The correct choice here is "whatever the pregnant person want because it's her body, and gently caress all other opinions."

I'd be amazed if she didn't cut off the family members who had issues with this.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

therobit posted:

I'm not sure you have to be in favor of sex-selective abortion to call yourself pro-choice. If she had said she wanted to keep the boys I think some people might have a problem with that.

Just because of this abortion talk we're having I looked around and, holy poo poo. In TYOOL 2019 they're already aborting based on fetal blood tests that show a probability of a baby being homosexual.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

big dyke energy posted:

although tbh I do think the twin-bond idea is weird and people's obsession with twins is extremely weird, but whatever.

I don't care about this particular decision, but it's perfectly possible to support someone's right to make a choice even if you think the choice they are making is wrong.

spacetoaster posted:

Just because of this abortion talk we're having I looked around and, holy poo poo. In TYOOL 2019 they're already aborting based on fetal blood tests that show a probability of a baby being homosexual.

Like, I can manage to be pro-choice while also thinking that's hosed up.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

spacetoaster posted:

I would hope that the police/this person ask the randos showing up to show, on air bnb, who they made the deal through.

Then contact air bnb and complain. If it keeps happening get the police to have air bnb supply identifying info to them.

Unless rear end in a top hat is using a vpn he could be identified. Right?

Back when I worked in law enforcement this scam happened all the time. Nothing to do besides forward it to the FBI since local cops don’t have the resources to find out and even if we did unless the scammer is dumb enough to do it in his own town/county/state/country we don’t have the jurisdiction.

All you have to do is pull online tour images of the condo building from its website, put it up on sites that don’t require much verification and people will start buying. I doubt the people doing it are sophisticated enough or even care to use a VPN. If you’re in India, it’s not like the local cops are gonna come knocking.

All I could do was forward what names, addresses, phone numbers to the FBI who never emailed me back soooo. It’s a pretty successful scam and it’s hosed up since it’s almost always lower income families who went deal hunting and don’t know much about vacation planning who wind up taking a long car ride to discover at 1100pm that they got nowhere to stay and every hotel in 30 miles is booked solid.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 20, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Patrick Spens posted:

Like, I can manage to be pro-choice while also thinking that's hosed up.

Sorry the thread has voted that you can not.

I’m not sure why though you can’t be pro choice but still think the decisions people make are hosed up. That doesn’t make you suddenly not pro choice.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

It's because it's an immensely polarizing issue and any step even slightly out of the "abortions are absolutely okay in any circumstance" and "abortions are absolutely never okay, ever" binary is seen as bad

This is primarily because there's a whole lot of stuff tied up into this and there really are a lot of "well, if you think that particular abortion should be disallowed, then........" Arguments from the right that seek purely to weaken the validity of support for it so they can force forward a ban

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

therobit posted:

I'm saying I think people who say "gently caress you for getting an abortion! Oh, I'm pro-choice though. :)" do not genuinely support an individual's right to control their own body and would probably be perfectly fine outlawing the "bad" abortions, i.e. the ones they don't agree with. I certainly wouldn't trust anyone like that to back me up on anything important. To me, being pro-choice is not something you can go halfway on. I'm not saying you have to personally agree with someone's reasoning behind their choice, but if you're fine judging the hell out of them and saying they're a bad person for doing it then I kind of doubt how much you supported the ability to actually make that choice in the first place.

A lot of people really like making up hypothetical scenarios where a woman's right to choose goes "too far" and I always have to wonder what the motive behind those statements are. I also hear a lot of poo poo from people around me about sex-selective abortion in places like India where they're content to blame the women for doing it instead of wondering why it's so common in the first place, but that's a whole other issue really. I wouldn't even call this particular instance sex-selective abortion though for the reasons stated. You could consider aborting any of the four to be technically sex-selective since they're not all the same sex.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 20, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

For the record, is anyone accusing the mom of being sexist for wanting girls instead of boys?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I'm saying I think people who say "gently caress you for getting an abortion! Oh, I'm pro-choice though. :)" do not genuinely support an individual's right to control their own body and would probably be perfectly fine outlawing the "bad" abortions, i.e. the ones they don't agree with. I certainly wouldn't trust anyone like that to back me up on anything important. To me, being pro-choice is not something you can go halfway on. I'm not saying you have to personally agree with someone's reasoning behind their choice, but if you're fine judging the hell out of them and saying they're a bad person for doing it then I kind of doubt how much you supported the ability to actually make that choice in the first place.

A lot of people really like making up hypothetical scenarios where a woman's right to choose goes "too far" and I always have to wonder what the motive behind those statements are. I also hear a lot of poo poo from people around me about sex-selective abortion in places like India where they're content to blame the women for doing it instead of wondering why it's so common in the first place, but that's a whole other issue really. I wouldn't even call this particular instance sex-selective abortion though for the reasons stated. You could consider aborting any of the four to be technically sex-selective since they're not all the same sex.

I mean it probably is bait but it sort of slots into this big ol' post pretty well as a check to the conviction of your stance on this

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

I'm not saying you have to personally agree with someone's reasoning behind their choice, but if you're fine judging the hell out of them and saying they're a bad person for doing it then I kind of doubt how much you supported the ability to actually make that choice in the first place.

Do you have this problem when talking about other choices? If I judge someone for getting hammered while they are looking after a child, do you think I want to bring back prohibition?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Blade Runner posted:

I mean it probably is bait but it sort of slots into this big ol' post pretty well as a check to the conviction of your stance on this

You know, I went searching for that because I hadn't heard of that stuff being done, and the only thing I saw about it was some lovely satire article on The Federalist, so.

Patrick Spens posted:

Do you have this problem when talking about other choices? If I judge someone for getting hammered while they are looking after a child, do you think I want to bring back prohibition?

No, because I don't just copy paste my opinions for one thing onto a completely different situation.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

You know, I went searching for that because I hadn't heard of that stuff being done, and the only thing I saw about it was some lovely satire article on The Federalist, so.

:ohdear: g-go on?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I am for abortions at any time for any reason and am hoping some of your parents take that option soon.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just can't get my penis inside
u/_Dark_Sun

quote:

I was trying to make girl loose virginity (haven't done this before), but just couldn't get my penis in (tried missionary and girl-on-top).

Everything was ok with other girls.

Her vagina just feels like being at a very tilted angle, see pic The problem is even worse since I'm a big guy and she's super tight and scared.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dazerbeams posted:

For the record, is anyone accusing the mom of being sexist for wanting girls instead of boys?

On reddit probably yes. Here? Absolutely not as far as I’ve seen.

I’d probably go for the girls too because while I don’t have kids everyone I know that has two boys one of them is like great and the other one is pure devil spawn lol.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CheesyDog posted:

Just can't get my penis inside
u/_Dark_Sun

Try having sex with an adult next time.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Dazerbeams posted:

hey there’s nothing wrong with wanting the best for your kids, and the best includes the lower chance of being violent emotional-dimwits

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

100% not bait. It's absolutely a thing.

http://www.ashg.org/press/201510-sexual-orientation.html

quote:

An algorithm using epigenetic information from just nine regions of the human genome can predict the sexual orientation of males with up to 70 percent accuracy

This is what they're using in tests today.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
r/sex
Can someone please explains condoms and my partner being vegan affects using them
u/neo0152

quote:

Ok so I M(18) am a virgin and my gf (18(F)) is also a virgin and I’m completely new to worrying about condoms and to add complexity to the mix is she is vegan

I really don’t mind the fact That she is vegan I even find it a bit of a plus because it makes her more conscious about what she buys, eats, etc. but Becasue of this I want to be very supportive of it

But I don’t even know what to expect with condoms let Alone vegan condoms/lube/whatever

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

BRB I'm applying to patent gluten-free and vegan condoms

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CheesyDog posted:

r/sex
Can someone please explains condoms and my partner being vegan affects using them
u/neo0152

Is she going to eat them?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

No, because I don't just copy paste my opinions for one thing onto a completely different situation.

You're sort of dodging past the point

Take it as a hypothetical and answer the question

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

CheesyDog posted:

r/sex
u/neo0152

Never thought going vegan turned you into Ripley in Alien: Resurrection.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

big dyke energy posted:

yup. it's their choice. they made a stupid one, or not, it's not our place to pretend we can suddenly moralize this abortion if all of the others are okay.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

My best friend (27m) and I ( 27f ) slept together and he pretends it never happened, but I received a letter from him today.

There was another update:

:kimchi:

Can't believe everyone just skipped over this one

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

imo you can feel a thing is morally wrong while still believing that someone has an inalienable right to do such a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Bullet status: dodged

My best friend (27m) and I ( 27f ) slept together and he pretends it never happened, but I received a letter from him today.

There was another update:

Yeah this one was super cute and I’m glad it had a happy ending. It’s nice to read one of these every so often and get the warm fuzzy feeling.

Back to murdering babies though!

As someone else mentioned it is one hell of a Sophie’s choice situation here. She seems to have made it easy but I’d be curious what her partner thinks.