Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
You'll always have your own special place in my heart, Lum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Lum_ posted:

haven't worked on this game in a year but i'll give your advice proper consideration regardless, thanks random internet person

Okay I am being a mean rear end in a top hat and a stupid idiot I am truly sorry

We're old school gamers here and as such we truly love and respect you Lum, but please provide an address so we can send dead fish to the residence of richard garriott tia

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Is there any way to sell Kickstarter items for real cash? I've not logged into the game and I bought in at the $75 crafter level (Kickstarter never again!). I assume there's some in game items that I'm supposed to have.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
be free lum and leave the video gaming world far, far behind

its pretty garbo and I'm glad you've escaped

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

TheAgent posted:

be free lum and leave the video gaming world far, far behind

its pretty garbo and I'm glad you've escaped

:yossame:

this is the most real post in the thread.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Lum_ posted:

I indeed am, so kindly look elsewhere for commentary on trains

(there's plenty of ex-employees who apparently have been leaking to the reddit, including lots of stuff about me which because of said NDA I can't refute or talk about, so fun times)

Suffice to say I'm working in a very boring job learning kubernetes and am happy for it. If I decide to wear a game dev hat again I'll work on a mod and if it blows up I can yell at myself.

yoyoyo but do you remember when that guy went around the office waving a plastic fishing pole at people and filming them

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

30.5 Days posted:

yoyoyo but do you remember when that guy went around the office waving a plastic fishing pole at people and filming them

Yarr we be fishin for whales today, but it looks like this pod is financially malnourished so we have to cut them loose!

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

30.5 Days posted:

what about the time he put an iPAD on a selfie stick and attached the contraption on a RC device, then put his face on the iPAD and made a video about how he was still around in Portalarium (ipad face on an rc car) while actually being in his girlfriends condo in new york, how bow dah

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

or the time right after the first .5mil of crowdfunding when he went out and said "hey peeps thanks for the 500k, now gib mi another 200k and I'll make elves"

that one was my favorite, it convinced me I should never ever ever commit to this shameless scam. Thanks, Richard!

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Acually, let's strap this guy on a rocket and be done with it

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Pickles posted:

Acually, let's strap this guy on a rocket and be done with it

Already did that once, he came back.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Gildiss posted:

Already did that once, he came back.

Christ you are right. Hold my beer I am going to gently caress him. I am going to gently caress Richard Garriott, it is the only way.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

All you need to do is cut his rat tail off at the base and he will melt into a puddle like the wicked witch of the West. You can then sell the resultant goo to backers.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Doesn't this Richard Gariot guy have a castle? Why doesn't he just allow his employees to live and work out of there?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I enjoy that Richard Garriot developed this whole virtue system for being a Good Person with Ethical Hedonism and he has violated every aspect of it repeatedly.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Capntastic posted:

I enjoy that Richard Garriot developed this whole virtue system for being a Good Person with Ethical Hedonism and he has violated every aspect of it repeatedly.

Guys it looks like the fans just aren't supporting you enough, they could donate a 19th time to fund a unity asset alpha but this office is 8000 dollars a month and I'm only worth 32 million dollars, as you can see it's just time to "slow down" around here

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

His self insert in all the games is a wise king who embodies virtue and in real life he got star sickness in a rocket ship and hoards numerous orreries in his Texas castle while his peasants farm unity assets until their hands are raw and skeletal

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Hot take.

Ultima games weren't very good except Ultima Online which was only good because it was an rear end in a top hat Simulator and are fondly remembered because there hardly was anything else at the time.

6 and 7 are tolerable and lead the way to better games being made not called Ultima and by other people. Any other numbered Ultima, can gently caress right off. I would much rather have to go back and play Gold Box D&D games with their arcane bullshit UIs or Wizardry's ball crushing difficulty than have to slog through any Ultima game.

A pox upon Lord British.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Mr. Pickles posted:

what about the time he put an iPAD on a selfie stick and attached the contraption on a RC device, then put his face on the iPAD and made a video about how he was still around in Portalarium (ipad face on an rc car) while actually being in his girlfriends condo in new york, how bow dah

Believe it or not I'm not talking about garriott, they let some random grognard into the office to harrass their staff because he was a big customer/influencer as part of their beg-a-thons, and you got to see the barely-concealed rage and shame from the developers as he busted into darkened rooms where 6 people were crunching and turned on the lights so he could waggle a plastic fishing rod at them.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Givin posted:

Hot take.

Ultima games weren't very good except Ultima Online which was only good because it was an rear end in a top hat Simulator and are fondly remembered because there hardly was anything else at the time.

Not a hot take because it's true

there are so, so many legendary 1980s and 1990s game franchises that are actually kinda crap if you try to play them today

Experienced this recently when, after reading up on the insane Stardock drama, I wanted to see just what sort of game it was that inspired Brad Wardell to twist reality into pretzels during his attempts to steal it from its creators. So I downloaded Ur-Quan Masters, aka the free version of Star Control II. It is a boring and bad game despite its legendary status. Like, I lived through that era (without playing it back then) so I can see why it was legendary, it was doing all kinds of new and cool things for its time and it has some decent if clumsy comedic writing. But the pace is slow, the ui is lovely, the lander minigame you have to play a shitload of in order to progress is loving horrible, the asymmetric space combat is simultaneously cool and awful, and so on. Anyone who didn't play it as a child when they had no idea what good games were like probably can't fully enjoy it now, because it turns out that no, 1980s game designers, it's just not that much fun to slam your head into the wall of extremely unforgiving game mechanics over and over until you become a savant with the controls.

e: I want to make it clear that I have a lot of respect for Fred Ford and Paul Reiche because they made some games I did play back then and loved and they've also stayed in the industry and grown with it, I am not in any way saying they're frauds, it's just that without a healthy dose of nostalgia lots of old games are poo poo.

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 22, 2019

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Cardboard Fox posted:

Doesn't this Richard Gariot guy have a castle? Why doesn't he just allow his employees to live and work out of there?

he sold his castle a few years ago and the new owner bulldozed it lol

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Givin posted:

Ultimas 1, 2, and 3 were decent for their time, but not amazing.

Ultima 4 was awesome. You had a party of eight, but only one was you. It had a complex magic system that actually made sense. You could have actual conversations with NPCs. And, the object of the game was not to kill a random foozle, but to better yourself as a person by following a complex system of virtues, the bring enlightenment to the people. This was absolutely mind-blowing back in 1985. Then, Ultima 5 took all that and make it better: you could have even more in-depth conversation with NPCs, who had their own daily schedules, and not all are on your side. And, 5 had what was probably the first cutscene in an CRPG. It was nuts.

Ultima 6 was also quite good, with a player-is-really-the-bad-guy plot twist 2/3 of the way through. Stuff like this is commonplace nowadays, but it came as a big surprise back then.

Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 were very good. Pretty sure that 1 was the first 3D RPG with full 360 degree viewing and movement.

Ultima 7 swung for the fences but came up short. The graphics were amazing; my first thought was that it was like walking across an oil painting. The storyline was good, gameplay was fun, and it had what was probably the first DLC ever, except that this was 1992 so you had to go into a software store to buy it. On the other hand, the questing was all linear and FedEx, it had some bugs and it ran poorly on anything less than a 25mhz machine, which only the rich kids had when it came out.

Ultima 8 was a pus-dripping boil on the buttocks of gaming. The less said about it, the better.

Ultima 9 swung for the fences even harder, then tripped and fell halfway down the baseline. It had two firsts; the first RPG that was 100% real 3D (no sprites) and the first to be 100% voice acted. However, the engine they used was horrible, and the voice acting was terrible. On top of all that, it was very buggy, combat stank, the questing was linear, and the story had been gutted. It had another "you're the bad guy" bit, but that was old hat by then.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 22, 2019

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Gynovore posted:

Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 were very good. Pretty sure that 1 was the first 3D RPG with full 360 degree viewing and movement.

Famously, John Carmack saw UU1 at a trade show and said "I bet I can make it run faster." He then built the tech for hovertank 3D (which would shortly after be used for wolfenstein, once id got out from under softdisk). He was right- UU1 had a ton of graphical features that wouldn't show up again until doom, but wolfenstein could run on computers people actually owned and made way, way more money. That was a theme of Looking Glass's entire history: system shock released the same year as Doom, but could only run on computers with a CD drive because of the huge size of the voice files.

Oh and yeah ultimate underworld was not developed by anyone associated with garriot, it was made by looking glass.

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug
If you're interested in the development of Ultima Underworld, https://www.filfre.net/2019/01/life-off-the-grid-part-1-making-ultima-underworld/ and its followups are great. Also a great insight into how game dev back then went on.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

BobHoward posted:

e: I want to make it clear that I have a lot of respect for Fred Ford and Paul Reiche because they made some games I did play back then and loved and they've also stayed in the industry and grown with it, I am not in any way saying they're frauds, it's just that without a healthy dose of nostalgia lots of old games are poo poo.

TBH this is kinda why all of the origin has beens have been folding up lovely projects for the last five years. Chris Roberts and Richard Garriot stopped making games, and none of them bothered paying attention to new trends in either game development or project management. And the results are showing. Meanwhile there's dudes who are just as ancient and wizened in the industry but they kept making games, they kept up with how they were being made.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've been playing Elder Scrolls Online, and that is the RPG that Shroud of the Avatar wishes it was.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Pickles posted:

This is a real product. God help us all. http://doublerobotics.com

Gynovore posted:

Ultimas 1, 2, and 3 were decent for their time, but not amazing.

Ultima 2 was amazing in that there were actually bugs called out in the lore manual. One involved unkillable monsters, and the other warned against letting critters step on time gates (they'd become immortal, stuck, and screw your game).

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The scope and complexity of Ultima 4 is insane considering it came out the same week as Super Mario Bros. I wish Garriot still knew how to make games.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

This has aged pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOg3AJXGKgQ

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

:drat:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

A good documentary film.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

I said come in! posted:

I've been playing Elder Scrolls Online, and that is the RPG that Shroud of the Avatar wishes it was.

It's got a manipulative cash shop too, of course. Every MMO has one nowadays I guess

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

It's got a manipulative cash shop too, of course. Every MMO has one nowadays I guess

How can a cash shop be manipulative

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

every one of the comments in that video was spot on and instead of listening to accurate feedback from the players they mugged to the camera and called them trolls

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Six AM posted:

They frequently take advantage of people who have a gambling problem. Exploitative is probably a better way to describe it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Six AM posted:

it has fuckin lootboxes lol

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

it has fuckin lootboxes lol

You dont know what manipulative means

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Givin posted:

A pox upon Lord British.

I am going to call your pox and raise you, a boot in the rear end.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

BobHoward posted:

Experienced this recently when, after reading up on the insane Stardock drama

Is there a thread on the insane Stardock drama somewhere? 'Cuz it is insane. UQM is actually not terrible but it's old and outdated and it shows and lol Stardock just carbon copied it without much updating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Wait, the group that made GalCiv? What have they done?