Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i guess its getting older but flying trans pacific doesnt feel so bad to me anymore. i play my switch a bit, watch a movie, take a lil nap, and i'm in boston at the end so i get a boston cream donut from dunkins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
You're also like 2 feet tall you lucky jerk

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

But trans pacific flights almost never have anything to look at out the window

The Kamchatka Peninnsula is awesome

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The digital windows are great, I enjoyed the gentle orange and purple tones at breakfast time.
Being 5'4" is excellent!!!!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bloodnose posted:

You're also like 2 feet tall you lucky jerk

Yeah this is why you don't mind the flight.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
NBA starting lineup itt

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Tom Smykowski posted:

NBA starting lineup itt

this but unironically

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

I never post ironically

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tom Smykowski posted:

I never post, ironically

If only.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

:discourse:

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

:concerned:

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Hong Kong goons: is $32,000 per year enough to get by?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
That’s 21k a month. Yes and no? It’s super expensive here. Living with room mates should definitely make it work but on your own can be tough unless you save a lot

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
That would be living with roommates in less than 500 square feet of space too. I wouldn't take that offer if you had anything even a bit better

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

caberham posted:

That’s 21k a month. Yes and no? It’s super expensive here. Living with room mates should definitely make it work but on your own can be tough unless you save a lot

Yeah from everything I've gathered so far, it seems like it'll be tight.

Then again, things will be tight whichever way I go (choosing amongst grad school offers). If I'm not pennypinching in Hong Kong, I'll be pennypinching in the USA or UK.

What neighborhoods would y'all recommend checking out for somebody going to CUHK? Is Craigslist the best site for looking for housing or are there better options?

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 17, 2019

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is that an internship or a job?

I guess as a literal first job it's good to get international experience. If you had a choice between Indianapolis and Hong Kong, long term even 6 months in Hong Kong while you look for something better, looks good on the resume.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 23, 2019

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
It's a PhD fellowship.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Is there rent assistance or a dorm option? HK isn't that expensive other than housing, which is a nightmare. If subsidized housing is available you'd be fine.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Is there rent assistance or a dorm option? HK isn't that expensive other than housing, which is a nightmare. If subsidized housing is available you'd be fine.

Don't think there's any rent assistance beyond the fellowship, but will look into it. They do offer a year in the dorms at a reasonable fee. I've heard very mixed things about them though, so I wasn't planning on going that route, but if housing is really that dire I would consider it.

It's grad school so like I don't expect to live extravagantly, but it would also be great to not live in a coffin an hour away from campus or something like that. Just trying to get a picture of what to expect under that budget.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
My friend lived and worked in hk for a few years before studying her PhD at HKU. It’s cheap accommodation but her dorm mates are all gross people who never lived else where and clueless academia types

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sincx posted:

The sense I get in the US is any sort of education from an institution outside of the US, Canada/Australia/NZ, and Western Europe beyond a bachelor's degree is looked at suspiciously.

I met an electrical engineer with a degree from Mexico, she did web design for a local hotel on a borrowed laptop

I met another engineer in Hungary, he was 26 and living with his parents because he and his girlfriend, combined, did not make enough money to rent a one bedroom, and was working at a car dealership on weekends to make ends meet

Anyone with money in Colombia sends their kids to American schools

All the people I spoke to were super sharp, but yeah, this is definitely a thing. I would assume HK schools are pretty good, but maybe not.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Vernacular posted:

What neighborhoods would y'all recommend checking out for somebody going to CUHK? Is Craigslist the best site for looking for housing or are there better options?

CUHK actually makes this a lot easier because you can rent out in Tai Po or Fanling instead of trying to squeeze yourself into Kownloon or Hong Kong Island. I actually lived just a short minibus ride away from CUHK in a pretty great place in Ma On Shan that at the time was only 11k because there was a double suicide in it. I wish I remembered what website I found that listing on but it was Chinese and probably doesn't exist anymore. Try this one:
https://www.gohome.com.hk/en/rent/ma-on-shan/?l1

Looks like prices in the old neighborhood have gone up a lot though.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

That place was only 11k?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I’d do a double homicide for a rent that far below market rates

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

sincx posted:

What are your alternatives in the US and UK? The sense I get in the US is any sort of education from an institution outside of the US, Canada/Australia/NZ, and Western Europe beyond a bachelor's degree is looked at suspiciously.

A US grad school of the same selectivity as CUHK would likely be far more helpful to your career later on.

Job prospects are pretty much a crapshoot for everybody in my field (social sciences) these days. Plus, committee connections are the most important aspect of placement (again, for what I'm looking to get into), and the people I'd be working with are legit. It is a bit more of an unknown quantity than one of the core US or UK schools and it's something I'm considering, but for those reasons plus a few others, this is a solid choice.

Bloodnose posted:

CUHK actually makes this a lot easier because you can rent out in Tai Po or Fanling instead of trying to squeeze yourself into Kownloon or Hong Kong Island. I actually lived just a short minibus ride away from CUHK in a pretty great place in Ma On Shan that at the time was only 11k because there was a double suicide in it. I wish I remembered what website I found that listing on but it was Chinese and probably doesn't exist anymore. Try this one:
https://www.gohome.com.hk/en/rent/ma-on-shan/?l1

Looks like prices in the old neighborhood have gone up a lot though.

Thanks!

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 17, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Vernacular posted:

Hong Kong goons: is $32,000 per year enough to get by?

Yes, perfectly doable, I did for many years on about that and had fun doing it. Especially out CUHK direction. You won't need roommates if you don't want to.

If it's 38 then you'll have a blast.

Squarefoot is also a popular place to look.
Estate agents in HK are super super local and ususally offer a portfolio of houses in a single housing estate

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Go goon go! Have fun in HK!!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

simplefish posted:

Yes, perfectly doable, I did for many years on about that and had fun doing it. Especially out CUHK direction. You won't need roommates if you don't want to.

If it's 38 then you'll have a blast.

Squarefoot is also a popular place to look.
Estate agents in HK are super super local and ususally offer a portfolio of houses in a single housing estate

Listen to this guy.

And HK universities are supposedly not too bad in world rankings but I’m not sure about guaranteed job prospects. Nowadays I think it’s hard to get a job like that unless it’s computer science or something

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Thank y'all for the tips/encouragement!

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

Vernacular posted:

Job prospects are pretty much a crapshoot for everybody in my field (social sciences) these days.

I will play devil's advocate here. I am a professor in a social science in what is generally considered to be one of the top research universities in the world. As much as I like HK, do not do your PhD there because you will not get a job. Do your PhD in the US!

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

sincx posted:

Can't believe we have a (guessing based on your username) UC Berkeley professor in this thread.

Anyways this is really good advice.

Not at Cal but I grew up in the Bay Area.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Go Bears!

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Oakland Martini posted:

I will play devil's advocate here. I am a professor in a social science in what is generally considered to be one of the top research universities in the world. As much as I like HK, do not do your PhD there because you will not get a job. Do your PhD in the US!

This feels like a huge exaggeration, and goes against advice I've gotten from other professors in the social sciences also from reputable universities in the US/UK. Care to go into some actual detail rather than speaking in huge generalizations? That's a strong, deterministic statement, and I didn't even post anything specific about my field or various pros/cons of the programs in question (not that I wish to really go into them here). Feel free to PM as to not detail the thread.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 28, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I don't think it's possible to derail the thread. It'd need a consistent topic and discussion.

I am very interested in international views on HK Higher Education though

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

simplefish posted:

I am very interested in international views on HK Higher Education though

From what I've gathered, they're a peg or so below the two main Singapore schools, but still fairly reputable (HKU, HKUST and CUHK are all top 50 universities). Of course US/UK core schools have the advantage in terms of placement/prestige (especially if you're trying to get a job in the "west"), but the consensus I've gotten is that you can't paint these things with a broad brush. A moderately well-ranked Asian school with a strong, internationally well-connected faculty in your department of choice might still be worth considering alongside a similarly ranked American school (and of course there are tons of other factors that go into these decisions).

IMO, there's no reason why the arrow wouldn't be pointing upward for academia in East Asia (at least for certain subjects), considering how much money there is in the area and how many well-qualified American/European PhDs get funneled there for work due to market saturation in their home countries.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

simplefish posted:

I don't think it's possible to derail the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycu434kkk14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Just study social sciences and then do a job not in social sciences BOOM problem solved.