Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Mierenneuker posted:

Clearly, God fucks.

Probably not a horndog like Zeus tho.

lol I knew about geese and ‘golden showers’ before but a random wiki page informed me Zeus made a lady pregnant while in the form of an ant. Now if it was a man-sized ant that’s weird enough but if it was a regular ant then he must have some S+ quality fuckstyling going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol I knew about geese and ‘golden showers’ before but a random wiki page informed me Zeus made a lady pregnant while in the form of an ant. Now if it was a man-sized ant that’s weird enough but if it was a regular ant then he must have some S+ quality fuckstyling going on.

Tell me about it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mierenneuker posted:

Tell me about it.

:perfect:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My iimm for Us is that you can't actually survive on just eating rabbit meat. Ignoring the scurvy problem rabbit meat doesn't have enough fat in it and if you only eat it you start to suffer from a condition called protein poisoning.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Played by Tricia Helfer.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

muscles like this! posted:

My iimm for Us is that you can't actually survive on just eating rabbit meat. Ignoring the scurvy problem rabbit meat doesn't have enough fat in it and if you only eat it you start to suffer from a condition called protein poisoning.

It’s also known as ‘rabbit starvation’, once thought to have played a part in the death of the Into The Wild guy.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Mu Zeta posted:

Why does Sam sound Irish in the Lord of the Rings

He’s doing a fair impression of someone from the countryside in the South West of England.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
For Us the "twist" was way too expected and not in a creeping realization sort of way.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Torquemada posted:

He’s doing a fair impression of someone from the countryside in the South West of England.

Yeah, that's a thoroughly decent West Country accent. He sounds like a stereotypical English farmer.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My only IIMM for US is that I held it to the standard of Get Out.

Very few horror movies are internally consistent or really stand up to scrutiny at all, and US is no exception.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My only problem with US is that some rear end in a top hat radio dj spoiled it the day before it hit theaters. She went on and on about how there's so many twists and Jordan Peele is the new M Night Shamalyn and there's a HUGE twist at the ending so be sure to wait because the twist is SO like the Sixth Sense kinda twist.

DID I TELL YOU THERE'S A SUPER AMAZING TWIST AT THE END AND OMG IT'S A BIG TWIST!

Also, as for the gun part, I imagine lots of people were plenty shocked to be attacked by people who looked like them but slightly off. I know I'd be shocked to see someone who looks like my twin loving attacking me.

edit: throwing in spoiler tags because some dj screaming that there's a million twists is a spoiler.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 05:02 on Mar 24, 2019

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Cowslips Warren posted:

My only problem with US is that some rear end in a top hat radio dj spoiled it the day before it hit theaters. She went on and on about how there's so many twists and Jordan Peele is the new M Night Shamalyn and there's a HUGE twist at the ending so be sure to wait because the twist is SO like the Sixth Sense kinda twist.

DID I TELL YOU THERE'S A SUPER AMAZING TWIST AT THE END AND OMG IT'S A BIG TWIST!

Also, as for the gun part, I imagine lots of people were plenty shocked to be attacked by people who looked like them but slightly off. I know I'd be shocked to see someone who looks like my twin loving attacking me.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cowslips Warren posted:

My only problem with US is [does literally the same thing being complained about]

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Torquemada posted:

Whilst still having the resources to support press conferences full of shouting journalists (one of my many IIMM’s with BSG, the human race is reduced to about 50,000 individuals and there’s still even journalists rather than a bulletin).

At least there is that one episode where Tom Zarek points out that everyone is going through the motions of their previous lives/society even though there is no real reason for them to do so.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
If the main family in The Quiet Place was black then the movie would probably be better just for the social commentary.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gaunab posted:

If the main family in The Quiet Place was black then the movie would probably be better just for the social commentary.

Holy poo poo.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Gaunab posted:

They could have saved a ton of money by making the aliens white policemen.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Torquemada posted:

I'm imagining Jordan Peele on this and I'm getting hype for something that will never exist.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Torquemada posted:

No, for two reasons:

1) The cast usually agree payment before filming.

2) The aliens would have smashed the cameras.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I just saw captive state and it was pretty close to what you describe. Aliens with otherworldly powers have taken over and are stripping the world of resources, but the vast majority of the enforcement of law is done by human collaborators.
So the people have to keep their heads down and avoid making trouble, while a terrorist cell that doesn't use names and is almost impractically complex for purposes of counter-intelligence plans attacks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A problem I had with that movie is that they spent all their time with the resistance/poor people and didn't do a good job of showing why anyone would be working with the aliens. It definitely felt like a movie that had a longer script that got cut down because there's stuff like a barely there subplot about the aliens suppressing religion (a priest is part of the resistance, you see his church closed down and one of the other resistance people gets chastised for wearing a cross as it would give them away.)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

Like what? I mostly remember just hating that family in the movie, if only because of how incredibly stupid they were regarding their kids.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Like what? I mostly remember just hating that family in the movie, if only because of how incredibly stupid they were regarding their kids.

I mean, a movie about how making noise will get you brutally murdered seems like it'd have some interesting subtext if the family were a minority.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Biplane posted:

Lucifer makes me weep for the Sandman/Lucifer HBO extravaganza we’ll never have :smith:

After this scene I just gave up on the show.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We just watched Your Name and I'm not sure how neither of them noticed the year difference. They both had smartphones which typically show years so they should have noticed things were working right.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

We just watched Your Name and I'm not sure how neither of them noticed the year difference. They both had smartphones which typically show years so they should have noticed things were working right.

Kind of a bilingual bonus thing, the days of the week don't match up for either of them - for one, the 12th would be on a Monday, and the other it would be a Thursday, and this was shown on the phone screens but in quick flashes..

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

There's a really niche genre, down the bottom of Netflix, of "people locked in a room by a sinister, unknown force, and slowly start to fall apart" - The Experiment, The Interview, The Circle, Human Race. Real low budget, poorly acted stuff, but I love them, because there's the occasional glimmer of brilliance - The Experiment starts with an absolute bang, The Interview has an actually clever twist at the end, the Human Race...okay that last one is awful.

There's a British one, Await Further Instructions - an estranged family are sealed in their house, following sinister instructions broadcast on their TV.

While calling for help, the mum informs whoever's listening "This is Beth Milgram, at such-and-such Stanford Street"

:eng99:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There's a really niche genre, down the bottom of Netflix, of "people locked in a room by a sinister, unknown force, and slowly start to fall apart" - The Experiment, The Interview, The Circle, Human Race. Real low budget, poorly acted stuff, but I love them, because there's the occasional glimmer of brilliance - The Experiment starts with an absolute bang, The Interview has an actually clever twist at the end, the Human Race...okay that last one is awful.

There's a British one, Await Further Instructions - an estranged family are sealed in their house, following sinister instructions broadcast on their TV.

While calling for help, the mum informs whoever's listening "This is Beth Milgram, at such-and-such Stanford Street"

:eng99:

My favorite in that genre is "Exam". The Circle came close but the ending was pretty poo poo. Escape room (the one with the skull box) was a similar take on it that was decent. They are my second favorite genre of horror/thriller movies, but found footage horror will always be the top for me.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's funny that Netflix has already put out at least three Groundhog Day style movies/shows.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
For a minute there I thought you guys were talking about the rogan/franco movie and got real confused.

The only one I'm finding on netflix that's not that one is an australian one with Hugo Weaving. That it?

I've seen exam and it was pretty good. Weird, but a fun watch. Circle was kinda hot garbage though with the ending. Haven't seen the escape room movies. Last one I saw anything about had the lady from Daredevil in it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

For a minute there I thought you guys were talking about the rogan/franco movie and got real confused.

The only one I'm finding on netflix that's not that one is an australian one with Hugo Weaving. That it?

I've seen exam and it was pretty good. Weird, but a fun watch. Circle was kinda hot garbage though with the ending. Haven't seen the escape room movies. Last one I saw anything about had the lady from Daredevil in it.

there was a "no escape room" which starred a woman so that might have been it. Wasn't a fan.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI2UyBsfeN8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI2MbS-e_us

It’s a good thing we’ve got years, right.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
No clue (:haw:)

This one got a theatrical release though. Dunno if it's out on VOD or disc yet.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The skull box one I was referring to was 2017 (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5748392/ ), but not the 2017 trailer you posted.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Watched A Wrinkled in Time last night. Not a particularly good.movie. But what really got me was how absolutely pointless the character of Calvin was. He literally does nothing the entire film. I mean, nothing. Could've been removed entirely without changing a single plot point. I feel like he actually does something in the book, but don't really remember.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My favorite in that genre is "Exam". The Circle came close but the ending was pretty poo poo. Escape room (the one with the skull box) was a similar take on it that was decent. They are my second favorite genre of horror/thriller movies, but found footage horror will always be the top for me.

Ahhh, Exam was the one I was thinking of, not Interview.

Another IIMM - these movies all have loving interchangable names. Especially Escape Room, of which there are three different identically named movies.

the 2017 one is absolutely dreadful. There's no rhyme or reason to anything that happens, people just randomly get killed, the killer doesn't have any actual motivation, there's no ironic punishment. It's basically a Madlibs version of Saw.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Remain indoors, do not think about the Event

Croccers has a new favorite as of 10:43 on Mar 25, 2019

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Strom Cuzewon posted:

the 2017 one is absolutely dreadful. There's no rhyme or reason to anything that happens, people just randomly get killed, the killer doesn't have any actual motivation, there's no ironic punishment. It's basically a Madlibs version of Saw.

It might be the worst movie I've ever seen. No positive qualities at all and I can't imagine what they were going for. It's not even bad enough to be good.

The only part that even raised the ghost of a laugh was when the girlfriend ends up stripped in a cage because they clearly went through the process of "Well, we've paid her to appear but there's not a lot of actual acting for her to do. Can we shoehorn in some gratituous nudity to get our money's worth?". Just a giant yawn of a film all round.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Queen Combat posted:

Kind of a bilingual bonus thing, the days of the week don't match up for either of them - for one, the 12th would be on a Monday, and the other it would be a Thursday, and this was shown on the phone screens but in quick flashes..

I can buy a pair of teens having no idea what day it is, though. Today is the 12th? That sounds right, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I usually can’t stand superhuman action heroes, but in Fallout they seemed to do a good job of at least making the stuff Cruise does look difficult and painful. I went back and watched Rogue Nation and that didn’t have quiet the charm.
MI does lean completely into it as a character trait in every single movie so for me it's completely forgivable, plus everything he does feels so visceral and painful that it's basically the opposite of a superhero movie where nobody seems to ever feel a hit.

Literally the best line from Fallout was Henry Cavill yelling at Tom Cruise "HOPE IS NOT A STRATEGY!" and Rebecca Ferguson just giving him a whithering look and saying "you must be new here".

E: just realised I replied to the wrong person but I'm also not sure who I was supposed to be replying to anymore. Sorry about that.