Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Man I really love the photos app on the Apple TV. Whatever they do to my pictures makes me look like such a good photographer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absolute Zeroes
Apr 1, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Could be a bad remote. I had something similar and they just gave me a new remote which fixed it.

Mines does this on WiFi but works perfectly well when cabled up. I end up using the handy remote app on my iPhone mostly now as it works better in general anyway and is only a swipe away.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

stupid puma posted:

Anyone ever have 5th gen AppleTV remote issues? I’ve got a strange lag between the remote and the AppleTV. I’ll move the selection or click a button and sometimes it takes full seconds to register. The remote also sometimes loses connection for no reason at all and the disconnection notification pops up, only the reconnect a second later. I’ve restarted the AppleTV a million times, charged the remote and re-paired the remote a handful of times. Re-pairing seems to solve the issues for a short while but the issues return. I read somewhere that there may be Bluetooth interference from something else in our home but I don’t know what that could be from as these problems didn’t arise at the same time as bringing a new a new laptop or phone into the house (which are all Apples anyway). There shouldn’t be any other Bluetooth items on in our house that I can think of....Any ideas?

I get the remote disconnect/connect issue on my 5th gen. I have no idea why it's occurring, but if it's susceptible to Bluetooth interference in an average home where there are almost certainly half a dozen Bluetooth radios transmitting at any given time then that's some quality engineering.

MarcusSA posted:

Could be a bad remote. I had something similar and they just gave me a new remote which fixed it.

Or that. I should call Apple and get a new remote.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

I get the remote disconnect/connect issue on my 5th gen. I have no idea why it's occurring, but if it's susceptible to Bluetooth interference in an average home where there are almost certainly half a dozen Bluetooth radios transmitting at any given time then that's some quality engineering.

Or that. I should call Apple and get a new remote.

Honestly just take it into the Apple store if you can. They just gave me a new one from the back. If not then yeah call them and they will probably just send you a new one.

These new remotes have had issues so it’s not something crazy to assume it’s the remote.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Rick posted:

Man I really love the photos app on the Apple TV. Whatever they do to my pictures makes me look like such a good photographer.

Tell me more. I usually just screenshare from my iphone, which sucks.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Any photos you are sharing in your iCloud library it can display full screen, but the real magic is the movies it generates which seems to be applying some sort of filter that really helps my DSLR pictures look good and the cheerful music makes a nice mood.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I’m having trouble getting screen mirroring to work with my 3rd gen Apple TV. I’ve updated it to the latest software and have it connected via wireless to an AirPort Extreme (also running the latest firmware). Neither iPads or iPhones detect the Apple TV when opening screen mirroring from the action centre (it just says “Looking for Apple TV...”). The peer-to-peer AirPlay doesn’t work either.

I’m totally stumped. Does anyone have any ideas?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Spitballing... maybe the clients have shifted over to Airplay 2, which might then not see servers stuck on Airplay 1?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Nah, we have a 3 and a 4 in the house, works fine.

Only thing that springs to mind is to check the airplay settings on the Apple TV. Sounds like you’re sure all the devices are on the same WiFi network.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

zeroconf/mdns/bonjour coud be confused. Try renaming the Apple TV then rebooting everything, including your router + wireless APs. For some reason the Apple TV seems to be particularly buggy about this. E.g. on my network it constantly clashes with itself, so its now called Apple TV (241), after being fine for years.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

I've been playing with it more and I think whatever "machine learning" or whatever they're calling it these days does a pretty decent job of knowing what a "good" photo is too. Like all the pictures I take of my thumbs on my phone or where I forgot to adjust the settings from night photography on my DSLR never end up there (although, my overexposed photos do end up there sometimes but I kind of like overexposed photos).

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
A loving dumb solution but this worked:

The About menu said activation failed. I fixed this by first signing into the Apple ID on an iPad to accept the iTunes Store terms and conditions. Then I signed into the iTunes Store on the Apple TV and peer-to-peer AirPlay is working, even after disconnecting the Apple TV from the internet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DirecTV NOW is updating with integration with the TV app, as well as single sign-in on Apple TV!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Went through all the recommended rtings settings. Looks much better.

I have my brightness set at 25 for SDR, but when it switches to HDR, it moves it to max, yet the movie or whatever seems half as bright, but the menus are super bright. That seems odd.

That's HDR working correctly; dim parts of video can get very very dim but of course bright parts can get bright. the content's HDR metadata is essentially controlling the brightness. AFAIK the tv just displays brightness at max because it's out of your control while HDR is doing its magic

The menus may just appear brighter in contrast to the video but I haven't experienced this exact thing myself

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Learned about the SideClick through this thread a while back. Can anyone confirm whether or not it allows you to map the... uh, "side-click" commands from the ATV siri remote? You know, the command that lets you go forward or back by 10 seconds in a video.

I've read that it has to learn ATV commands through IR, requiring some other programmable remote (I've got a Harmony One I could use). However last I checked you couldn't actually assign the side-click function in harmony software, so I may be out of luck here.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

emdash posted:

That's HDR working correctly; dim parts of video can get very very dim but of course bright parts can get bright. the content's HDR metadata is essentially controlling the brightness. AFAIK the tv just displays brightness at max because it's out of your control while HDR is doing its magic

The menus may just appear brighter in contrast to the video but I haven't experienced this exact thing myself

Didn't know the HDR was controlling the brightness. That makes sense. Thanks.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It can be a real problem though if your room is really bright.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Minidust posted:

Learned about the SideClick through this thread a while back. Can anyone confirm whether or not it allows you to map the... uh, "side-click" commands from the ATV siri remote? You know, the command that lets you go forward or back by 10 seconds in a video.

I've read that it has to learn ATV commands through IR, requiring some other programmable remote (I've got a Harmony One I could use). However last I checked you couldn't actually assign the side-click function in harmony software, so I may be out of luck here.

I'm confused why would you want to have the sideclick perform an action that the ATV remote that it's attached to is able to do? I think it's just supposed to let you get rid of your TV's remote.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I’m pretty sure you can’t program an IR remote to do that function since left and right make it scrub

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

jokes posted:

I'm confused why would you want to have the sideclick perform an action that the ATV remote that it's attached to is able to do? I think it's just supposed to let you get rid of your TV's remote.
The side-click often feels clumsy on the ATV remote, and for whatever reason it works worse in some apps than others. I've mostly gotten used to it but my wife doesn't have the patience for it.

The iPhone remote app has dedicated buttons for it so I was hoping the function could be programmed. But all signs point to negative!

Really the main function I need is a mute button, so the Sideclick can give me that at least.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The sideclick is incredibly annoying in YouTube TV because YouTube's custom video player is garbage. If your thumb is too far to the left or right of where the sideclick is activated it will register it as a normal tap and just repeatedly pause and unpause the video as you are trying to skip. It sucks poo poo.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Minidust posted:

The side-click often feels clumsy on the ATV remote, and for whatever reason it works worse in some apps than others. I've mostly gotten used to it but my wife doesn't have the patience for it.

The iPhone remote app has dedicated buttons for it so I was hoping the function could be programmed. But all signs point to negative!

Really the main function I need is a mute button, so the Sideclick can give me that at least.

Oh, that makes sense. I guess I rarely sideclick to fast forward so haven't experienced the problems here.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
what is side click

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Think smaller Wii controller that snaps onto the side of an Apple TV remote.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Boris Galerkin posted:

what is side click
If you slide your thumb to the left of the touch pad and then click it reminds instead of pauses.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Boris Galerkin posted:

what is side click

A Sideclick is a small IR remote that attaches to your ATV remote. A sideclick is when you click on the left/right edge of the touchpad on the ATV remote to rewind or fast forward 15s.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

jokes posted:

A Sideclick is a small IR remote that attaches to your ATV remote. A sideclick is when you click on the left/right edge of the touchpad on the ATV remote to rewind or fast forward 15s.

10s

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Neither is correct as it never loving works

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

What about the skip buttons in the iOS AppleTV Remote app?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think the skip behavior depends on the app.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Grassy Knowles posted:

lol this

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

In the YouTube app, if I touch the touch pad and bring up the scrubber overlay, is there any way to make it go away other than to wait 20 seconds?

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:

smackfu posted:

In the YouTube app, if I touch the touch pad and bring up the scrubber overlay, is there any way to make it go away other than to wait 20 seconds?

Press “Menu” to hide it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

but if you’re like me you’ll hit the home screen button instead and exit out the app

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

but if you’re like me you’ll hit the home screen button instead and exit out the app

Haha just lol at the thought of hitting the home scene button once actually exits the app. That’s a good one.

*mashes the stupid loving button 5 times to exit Netflix*

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MarcusSA posted:

Haha just lol at the thought of hitting the home scene button once actually exits the app. That’s a good one.

*mashes the stupid loving button 5 times to exit Netflix*

Just hold it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ll try that because one or two presses never works.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ya what I meant to say is I mash both buttons until something happens

Not sure if it’s the iOS or remote or some interference but my ATV/controller has been extremely laggy

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MarcusSA posted:

I’ll try that because one or two presses never works.

I read your post wrong but holding the menu button takes you out of an app back to the home screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/onlxn/status/1110256703201665024