Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The house refused the pentagon's request to transfer a billion in funds towards increased fencing and lighting on the border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Nice! posted:

The house refused the pentagon's request to transfer a billion in funds towards increased fencing and lighting on the border.

Hah, so what happens now?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also this is the statement from the prosecutor in the Smollet case:

quote:

After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollet's volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Also I'm insanely skeptical of that 40% effective tax rate.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also this is the statement from the prosecutor in the Smollet case:

After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollet's volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case.

Translation: The CPD did a bad thing so let's just say we're all good and all walk away.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Rahm Emanuel is on CNN now laying into the prosecutor for dropping the charges

e: of course just as I hit submit he leaves

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

zoux posted:

Assuming they're reporting income and tax bill truthfully, it's 37.5%

:hai:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/desiderioDC/status/1110601354089807873

the other other absolute boy

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I used a widget to try to find expensive-rear end city/state combos with zero tax breaks and topped out at mid-30s. I didn’t include property because CNBC counted property above and beyond 40%.

Rich, bad with money, dishonest about tax burden.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
God I wish I could go through life as care free as Carter Page

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
I'm the $36k in 401k savings that's being treated as an expense.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

mlmp08 posted:

In addition to everything else, even if you live in a mega tax-heavy state and city, how the gently caress are they hitting a 40% marginal tax rate? Do they donate money to the IRS?

If someone can find a locality where it's possible to hit 40% marginal making "only" 500,000 a year as a married couple with 2 kids, color me surprised.

https://smartasset.com/taxes/income-taxes#JlQvWM1aTN

Assuming they don't itemize, got them to ~34% in NYC. Remember that they counted property tax in addition to their supposed 40% marginal income tax rate.

https://smartasset.com/taxes/income-taxes#gSAPqIZx6h

Just want to chime in that effective is not the same as marginal. I have a hard time believing someone earning a half million per year reaches a marginal rate of 40%, much less an effective rate of 40%

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Just want to chime in that effective is not the same as marginal. I have a hard time believing someone earning a half million per year reaches a marginal rate of 40%, much less an effective rate of 40%

I wonder if the punched in the numbers for a single filer.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Godholio posted:

Stop copying the worst of America, please.

Hey at least our bridge collapsed because of ludicrous amounts of rain, it didn't just give up on its own

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Hey at least our bridge collapsed because of ludicrous amounts of rain, it didn't just give up on its own

The new normal

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

yeah, it's concerning to me that the news has been saying this is the new record, previous record from 2016

:/

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Living a life of massive luxury and then complaining that at the end of the year you only socked away $43,300 in savings/retirement accounts.

https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/1104969368381775873?s=20

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

rainwater cant melt steel beams

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

hobbesmaster posted:

I wonder if the punched in the numbers for a single filer.

I bet that's it. Single-filer hits around that 40% effective tax rate. With no deductions. Somebody has a real bad accountant.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Tryzzub posted:

Give it enough centuries.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

What did I just watch?

In any case, it's amazing!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Tryzzub posted:

steel beams can't melt ultimate tensile strength

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Is Carter Page ever not absolutely self-assured that he is America's Best Boy?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Crabitalism?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

While All Crabs Are Tasty I don’t think I’d eat that one.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Looks like seed's back on the menu boys!

(can be read how you want)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I think the only way to make any kind of doomsday vault is to do it the way they did in that awful Downsizing movie. Build it, and basically co-opt or kill the workers so nobody ever learns of the project.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Kraft just plead not guilty and wants a jury trial :lol:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Reign Of Pain posted:

Billionaires are dumb as gently caress. Or maybe he's planning on bribing the jury.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Remember when SA dug up Super Hornio Brothers? I imagine Kraft sounding like Buck Adams as King Pooper while he was getting a handbeezy.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Reign Of Pain posted:

So he's trying to gently caress the county by forcing them to spend hundreds of thousands prosecuting a misdemeanor charge. That's pretty scummy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Reign Of Pain posted:

His lawyers initially demanded a non-jury trial. I guess strategy has shifted.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
"Let he who hath not visited a rub-n-tug cast the first stone."

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
So you see if I reverse the tape here, you can see that they paid Kraft for the honor to jerk him off!

Kraft is the sex slave being coerced here. He's the victim!

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Good news for Buttgagger fans

http://www.newser.com/article/fc96101c861b4dca80b0148f8b694fb3/buttigieg-gains-with-crowds-tv-spots-and-campaign-cash.html

quote:

Buttigieg gains with crowds, TV spots and campaign cash
Besides the crowds and the cheering, Buttigieg has seen increasing national media attention, from Fox News to MSNBC and his second appearance on ABC's "The View." After a breakout performance in a CNN town hall earlier this month, Buttigieg's team says he raised roughly $600,000 from 22,000 donors in just over 24 hours. He has now received enough individual contributions to qualify for a spot on the Democratic debate stage this summer.

If the polls show he has a chance at beating Dirty Donny I'll sure as hell vote for him. What a change it would be - from a drooling, fat, idiot that doesn't like to read to a guy that's a Rhodes Scholar and can speak 7 languages(at last count), pianist, war vet, ect...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PWSxQ5RAe8

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Nice! posted:

His lawyers initially demanded a non-jury trial. I guess strategy has shifted.

Prosecution claims they can't get a fair trial, moves to court in Buffalo, NY.

Kraft executed on Feb 15, 2020.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Chichevache posted:

So he's trying to gently caress the county by forcing them to spend hundreds of thousands prosecuting a misdemeanor charge. That's pretty scummy.

Everyone has a right to a trial by their peers. That should absolutely not be something you're against.

Whether or not that is a wise option to take is entirely dependent on your situation though. Personally I'd definitely have taken the "you're rich so we're going to let you off as long as you say that you would have been found guilty had we not let you off" route but hey I'm just some dumbass.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Reign Of Pain posted:

Good news for Buttgagger fans

http://www.newser.com/article/fc96101c861b4dca80b0148f8b694fb3/buttigieg-gains-with-crowds-tv-spots-and-campaign-cash.html

If the polls show he has a chance at beating Dirty Donny I'll sure as hell vote for him. What a change it would be - from a drooling, fat, idiot that doesn't like to read to a guy that's a Rhodes Scholar and can speak 7 languages(at last count), pianist, war vet, ect...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PWSxQ5RAe8

He also has dogs which makes him infinitely better than Donny. First president to not have a pet, what the hell is wrong with his brain.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Wait is a gay man actually gaining traction in a presidential race :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

my kinda ape posted:

Everyone has a right to a trial by their peers. That should absolutely not be something you're against.

Whether or not that is a wise option to take is entirely dependent on your situation though. Personally I'd definitely have taken the "you're rich so we're going to let you off as long as you say that you would have been found guilty had we not let you off" route but hey I'm just some dumbass.

Robert Kraft is a billionaire with no peers. There is video of him paying a prostitute. This isn't anywhere near the same as any other misdemeanor crime and we all know exactly what he's up to with this poo poo. There's a reason he isn't having a trial by judge. He's a guilty loving billionaire who is refusing to face the consequences he has coming.