Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Len posted:

Is it another game about managing timers?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Oh nice the Bit City guys. I was wondering if they were doing anything new! Played the hell outta that game.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
There's a new multiplayer F2P Call of Duty game coming out soon, which you can pre register for right now. It's being co-developed by TenCent and I believe its been beta testing in China since last year.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 19, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

mrkillboy posted:

There's a new multiplayer F2P Call of Duty game coming out soon, which you can pre register for right now. It's being co-developed by TenCent and I believe its been beta testing in China since last year.

How, exactly, do people play and enjoy complex action games like this on mobile? I tried PUBG mobile for a bit, and while I was actually quite impressed by the quality of life changes it made over the PC versiom, particularly item management, it was a nightmare to play and control. I realized early on I'd have to do the Monster Hunter "claw hand" to actually aim and shoot with any accuracy.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
It's what a lot of kids are used to these days.

It's like when we were younger and would laugh at giving someone a controller who doesn't play video games as they spin in a circle looking up the entire time.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Rotten Red Rod posted:

How, exactly, do people play and enjoy complex action games like this on mobile?

I've seen pictures of "shoulder triggers" rigged using foil (for capacitive touch) chewing gum wrappers or something.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Harminoff posted:

It's what a lot of kids are used to these days.

It's like when we were younger and would laugh at giving someone a controller who doesn't play video games as they spin in a circle looking up the entire time.

See, I can understand that part. What I don't understand is the complete lack of any attempt to adapt the game to the format at all. For PUBG, the game design was literally, "how do we make the exact same game on mobile, regardless of how well it actually controls?" when it should have been, "How do we craft a similar experience but adapted to work better on mobile?"

It's a square peg just HAMMERED into the that circular hole. The fact that PUBG mobile needs to serve you up easy bots for the first 10 levels to keep you playing is good evidence something went wrong.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone tried Immortal Rogue? It's got an interesting concept with the types of enemies you fight changing every time you wake based on what you killed in your previous life. Bit expensive though and I don't have enough Google survey bucks to try it myself

quote:

Immortal Rogue is a hack and slash roguelike hybrid where you play as an eternal vampire. You wake up every 100 years to feed, and who you choose to hunt directly impacts the future. Different timelines offer different enemies to defeat and unique items to discover. You can fight samurai with a rocket fist from a long lost civilization, or take out cyborgs with an enchanted katana.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Posted this in another thread, but I figure I'd mention it here as well. The Microsoft Solitaire Suite is now probably my most played game on my phone, to be honest. I initially only got it for Freecell (the best solitaire game :colbert:), but it also has Spider, Klondike, Pyramid, and Tri-Peaks. You can customize not just the back of the deck you're using, but also the Ace and face cards as well, with whatever images you want. There are almost daily events and scoring competitions with everyone else on there, achievements, leveling, various difficulties for each game. All of this without paying anything. It actually taught me how to play Spider and Pyramid, and now I'm totally hooked.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Posted this in another thread, but I figure I'd mention it here as well. The Microsoft Solitaire Suite is now probably my most played game on my phone, to be honest. I initially only got it for Freecell (the best solitaire game :colbert:), but it also has Spider, Klondike, Pyramid, and Tri-Peaks. You can customize not just the back of the deck you're using, but also the Ace and face cards as well, with whatever images you want. There are almost daily events and scoring competitions with everyone else on there, achievements, leveling, various difficulties for each game. All of this without paying anything. It actually taught me how to play Spider and Pyramid, and now I'm totally hooked.

I've been playing the challenges and they're pretty fun in themselves too

For some reason though it busted a while ago and won't connect to Xbox Live and my precious cheevos are trapped on my phone. :negative:

midivan
Mar 7, 2019
Downwell kinda just uninstalled itself from my phone, no idea why or how... Can't seem to re-install it through the playstore or with an APK.
Anyone got any tips for similar games? I'm getting really bored without it on the bus...

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

midivan posted:

Downwell kinda just uninstalled itself from my phone, no idea why or how... Can't seem to re-install it through the playstore or with an APK.
Anyone got any tips for similar games? I'm getting really bored without it on the bus...

It's still in the Play Store. You not seeing it?

midivan
Mar 7, 2019

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It's still in the Play Store. You not seeing it?

Yeah I'm seeing it but I get this unspecified error, only thing left I haven't tried is a factory reset on the phone which hopefully will work.
But I don't really feel ready to wipe it just yet...

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Fowlst is similar to downwell

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Man I've been wasting time playing the PVP arena of Elder Scrolls Legends and going 0-3 when I could've been rolling to 9-1 victories in the PvE arena and raking up the sweet gold/gems/cards.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Len posted:

Is it another game about managing timers?!

Captain Cool posted:

Pocket Planes and Trains felt like iterations toward a really fun casual multiplayer strategy game and I was hoping Nimblebit was going to take another crack at that

https://twitter.com/NimbleBit/status/1109080239622119425

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well, they know their strengths, and they what pays the bills. I'm glad they're making it as an indie dev studio.

I wondered for a quite while why someone put a Tiny Tower sticker on one of the road signs near the exit to my house, and then I discovered NimbleBit is based near me (San Diego). Neat!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mehhh. I guess a new Tiny Tower is cool but I can't say I'm in love with the Lego theme.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
I just got an invite to the beta of the 'sequel' to Ascension, Shards of Infinity, which is pretty cool and all, except you have to buy the game up front--and it's $7.99! Apparently it's free to test on iOS. That's kind of lovely.

Anyway, is anyone else in this? Is it worth it?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

New Leaf posted:

Yeah I saw that option. Here's what I'm seeing, for reference.. definitely doesn't look like the text size in other screenshots. LG G7 here.

It's readable, but imagine that on a phone screen.. VERY small.

Looks like this is fixed now and item bar is adjustable as well. Way easier to play now, though still buggy.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

What's the progression in the Eldar Scrolls game like, I played a solo arena and it was quite good.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Thank you so very, very much for this.

This game is extremely well done.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I really hope they will release Magic Arena on mobile phone one day.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man, I downloaded Brawl Stars over the weekend and.. it's actually a lot of fun? Maybe it's just because I haven't lost a match yet but I'm having a real good time. Matches are short too so I can get one in while poopin' or play a bunch in bed before going to sleep. I remember feeling this way about Clash Royale before making it to the tiers where clearly everyone bought everything and getting my rear end beat repeatedly so I'm sure I'll reach that point here eventually.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well, they know their strengths, and they what pays the bills. I'm glad they're making it as an indie dev studio.

Pretty much this. I enjoyed Tiny Tower for a time, and then enjoyed each successive game they've released. Can't fault them for going back to the well of their original hit, but doubt I'll play the game when it comes out.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

explosivo posted:

Man, I downloaded Brawl Stars over the weekend and.. it's actually a lot of fun? Maybe it's just because I haven't lost a match yet but I'm having a real good time. Matches are short too so I can get one in while poopin' or play a bunch in bed before going to sleep. I remember feeling this way about Clash Royale before making it to the tiers where clearly everyone bought everything and getting my rear end beat repeatedly so I'm sure I'll reach that point here eventually.

It's fun but it gets very repetitive, and it has that frustrating paper-rock-scissors element where sometimes you just get mega-hosed and there's nothing you can do about it. I enjoyed it for a few weeks but haven't picked it up in a while.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Vulpes posted:

It's fun but it gets very repetitive, and it has that frustrating paper-rock-scissors element where sometimes you just get mega-hosed and there's nothing you can do about it. I enjoyed it for a few weeks but haven't picked it up in a while.

Yeah, I can see this happening. I was considering putting some $ in to get some stuff but probably just gonna hold off and see how long I last.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

explosivo posted:

Yeah, I can see this happening. I was considering putting some $ in to get some stuff but probably just gonna hold off and see how long I last.

I've put some money in, but really no more than probably $15. I've never felt like I was losing because I was outspent by someone. Been playing since launch, and it's a good way to spend 20 or 30 minutes of my day. I haven't gotten close to getting bored yet.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Are any of the Marvel games decent these days? Not particularly picky on game style.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug

New Leaf posted:

Are any of the Marvel games decent these days? Not particularly picky on game style.

Depends on your wallet

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

overseer07 posted:

Depends on your wallet

That bad, eh?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Aramoro posted:

What's the progression in the Eldar Scrolls game like, I played a solo arena and it was quite good.
There’s this guide that I think breaks it down pretty well. Although it was made before the latest expansion. I’ve played all the stories and enjoyed them.

https://teamrankstar.com/teslegends-new-player-guide/

Spend your gold in Solo Arena, then Versus arena.
Buy the 50 card decks for 500 gold each.
Buy the stories (best in terms of card quantity):
Dark Brotherhood,
Return to Clockwork City
Acquire the Forgotten Hero Collection/FrostSpark
Buy a 75 card deck (Dagoth, Redoran or Hlaalu).
Acquire the Madhouse Collection.
Puzzles are the last thing to buy.
Go crazy with card packs and/or the remaining 75 card decks.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Klaaz posted:

I really hope they will release Magic Arena on mobile phone one day.

Yeah I dunno why they haven’t. Giving players a way to buy digital cards on a whim seems worth the investment.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah I dunno why they haven’t. Giving players a way to buy digital cards on a whim seems worth the investment.

it's a complex game, the UI would have to be massively redone for mobile devices, and the main version isn't even fully feature complete yet

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

flatluigi posted:

it's a complex game, the UI would have to be massively redone for mobile devices, and the main version isn't even fully feature complete yet

They should just port the 1997 computer game. It worked well enough back then.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ponzicar posted:

They should just port the 1997 computer game. It worked well enough back then.

they're actually making a simplified mobile game in the interim: https://toucharcade.com/2019/03/22/valors-reach-announced/

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
GWENT, the Witcher card game, is getting a mobile release.

It's starting only on iOS, but they have plans for Android later.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

GWENT, the Witcher card game, is getting a mobile release.

It's starting only on iOS, but they have plans for Android later.

Witcher fans should know that this (unfortunately) isn't the same Gwent from the Witcher games, its the stand-alone version which is very different. Same basic mechanics but a lot of stuff (that I personally don't enjoy) thrown in.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

New Leaf posted:

Witcher fans should know that this (unfortunately) isn't the same Gwent from the Witcher games, its the stand-alone version which is very different. Same basic mechanics but a lot of stuff (that I personally don't enjoy) thrown in.

Counter point, I didn't enjoy Gwent from Witcher 3 too much, and love the standalone version. So ymmv. Doesn't matter anyway, since there is no android release date yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Counter point, I didn't enjoy Gwent from Witcher 3 too much, and love the standalone version. So ymmv. Doesn't matter anyway, since there is no android release date yet.

Oh yeah, not saying people shouldn't try it - honestly, I'll probably get it myself because I do like the Witcher-verse and it's not *that* bad, it's just not the in-game Gwent, so you shouldn't go in expecting that. I did play it on a console, which is probably not the best format for it, so it bored me quickly. Sitting at my desk at work might be different.