Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Good Sphere posted:

New filter I’ve been working on (iPhone) I feel quite good about, except it’s not yet optimized for video capture because it will kill your battery. We’re looking at 59% CPU for video capture vs 19% for previewing the effect live when taking a photo.

Sweet!
You could lower the dpi of the preview filter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Keetron posted:

Sweet!
You could lower the dpi of the preview filter?

Possibly, but that doesn't help much for what's going into the pixel buffer for video capture. What I did instead is lower the frame rate to a heinous 10 fps, though it looks acceptable; kind of reminiscent of the music video for ah-ha's "Take On Me".

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!
A friend and I made an augmented reality tour app for Gettysburg.

Here are some screenshots.

Also, here's a promo video we made for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4akHzNQjB8

The biggest technical challenge is tracking rotation correctly. Phone hardware just isn't great at this. Generally, the magnetometer is used to correct gyroscopic drift, but we can't use that because a bunch of the tour stops are on top of giant metal towers that completely screw up the compass readings. So we mostly just track raw gyroscopic rotation, and try to do minor compensation for drift as best we can. There are solutions that use the camera to help, by analyzing the image to help track rotation, but I'm pretty concerned about battery life when doing something like that. Also, I just haven't had time to even try implementing something different there.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That's cool!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

kayakyakr posted:

I've owned the domain hack for my last name for about 10 years now. It's awesome. first@lastna.me is so good.

I had fuckt.heinter.net for a while. And then for some reason my domain registrar took it off me :(

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Kilson posted:

The biggest technical challenge is tracking rotation correctly. Phone hardware just isn't great at this. Generally, the magnetometer is used to correct gyroscopic drift, but we can't use that because a bunch of the tour stops are on top of giant metal towers that completely screw up the compass readings. So we mostly just track raw gyroscopic rotation, and try to do minor compensation for drift as best we can. There are solutions that use the camera to help, by analyzing the image to help track rotation, but I'm pretty concerned about battery life when doing something like that. Also, I just haven't had time to even try implementing something different there.

I thought by now phones would just have a simple API layer for this type of thing. Now that I think about it, half the time I look at my phone the compass is pointing the wrong direction.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
That is really a super cool app.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Nolgthorn posted:

I thought by now phones would just have a simple API layer for this type of thing. Now that I think about it, half the time I look at my phone the compass is pointing the wrong direction.

Android APIs basically do that already. They perform sensor fusion and who knows what else, to give more accurate results. Not 100% sure how Apple does it - their compass readings seem to lag way more, and we had a bunch of difficulty getting it to work as nicely as on Android.

But there are a few problems. First, it's really easy for the compass (magnetometer) to get screwed up, which is what moving your phone in a figure 8 motion is supposed to correct. That generally works pretty well, assuming there's nothing else causing problems.

Second (and the problem we're having the most trouble with), is that external forces can completely invalidate the data from the compass. Standing on a big metal tower causes it to pretty much spin randomly as you move around. So we have to use raw gyroscopic data, and attempt to compensate for the inherent drift.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My homebrew N64 microcode is packed with features.

- Solid-color polygons
- Broken Z buffering
- 1KB display list buffer
- 16-vertex cache

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1112516062074097666

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
oh boy, you get to deal with the giant pile of fun that is the RSP/RDP. best of luck, chum.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Kilson posted:

A friend and I made an augmented reality tour app for Gettysburg.

Okay wow, this is super cool, great job!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

hendersa posted:

I don't think that people realize how much work it is to do this kind of stuff.

I'm in awe every time you post about this project, it is really incredible

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Here's my proof-of-concept for a dinky little drink suggestion app that I've been working on.

The only cocktails in the database so far are Gin and Tonic and Screwdriver. I'm very much a front-end developer, and this was my first time working with Python, Flask, and Docker, so I'm pretty happy with how this is turning out. The API supports a lot more things like users, user preferences, and all the CRUD operators for ingredients and cocktails, so I still need to flesh out the front-end to consume all of it

I need to get my hands on a cocktail recipe book

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 3, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

can you combine the mixers without drinking cause that would be weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTdcIv3oXrw

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007

On and off, I have been working on making a game in C#. I figured that I would need a scripting language, so I decided to re-implement Lua 5.3 entirely in C#.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

you're parsing that big string as lua? that's pretty impressive but I just gotta ask, you know lua is like designed to be embedded right, practically plug & play :stare:

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
There's also this:

http://nlua.org/

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I could not readily tell from looking at nlua if it had any native code in it. That would be a problem for Unity, for example.

I should probably shut up though because I am basically handwriting a C# green threading Python 3.6 interpreter. So I share the same kind of mental disorder...

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I could not readily tell from looking at nlua if it had any native code in it. That would be a problem for Unity, for example.

I should probably shut up though because I am basically handwriting a C# green threading Python 3.6 interpreter. So I share the same kind of mental disorder...

I’ve integrated and shipped native DLLs in unity to mobile platforms. Where would it be a problem?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

leper khan posted:

I’ve integrated and shipped native DLLs in unity to mobile platforms. Where would it be a problem?

You had to rebuild them for those platforms though. Yeah it's possible--assuming you had source. Well, I assume you suffered some cross-compilation woes while doing it. I can imagine somebody putting that work on the balance against making a managed version.

Edit: Yeah it shouldn't be a problem for something like a Lua interpreter that prides itself on being embedded, but I'm talking in general here. I'm giving some of my colleagues the benefit of the doubt when they have trouble with compiling stuff that they're not just stupid or something. It's definitely a skill and people do take it for granted. So plenty of people look at cross-compilation and nope out.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 14, 2019

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

hello thread i am working on a bad free android game called Hello Thank You (store link). It's a collection of half-baked mini games:

Birthday Party. Invite different creators to your birthday party. Then go to your birthday party.

Button Buddies: A button with a global press count. Hold for 1 second to add 1 to the count.

Home Run: Drive a rail car backwards as far as you want, then forward, then swing. Goal is to hit the ball as far as you can. Includes leader board.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
This came up in the chart & graph thread and the people seemed to like it, so I'll repost it here.

Back in 2017 I tried to make some simple football game with Unity (either an actual game or at least AI sandbox). I got distracted by other projects but the gifs turned out to be quite amusing.

The very first test, just running towards the ball and not overlapping with the other players:
https://i.imgur.com/ymwL9jq.gifv
Tackling and dribbling the ball towards the goal:
https://i.imgur.com/fNeWBTh.mp4
Some simple animations:
https://i.imgur.com/TS66T8e.mp4
Trying to get to the correct position in the formation (and constantly overshooting):
https://i.imgur.com/YaEhEgq.gifv
Only closest guys targeting the ball:
https://i.imgur.com/X3erV0L.gifv
I dunno:
https://i.imgur.com/VHRPlMY.mp4

Kennel fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 29, 2019

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

lol these are incredible.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

I haven't laughed this much at a sports game since the time I played International Soccer with my brother and figured out how to carry the ball on my head all the way across the field and into the opposing goal.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've been working on this for the last 4 months: https://captionwars.com/ There are a few bugs to work out (it falls over in IE, for example). It's a Node/Express/React/Mongodb app. It began as a learning project but as it progressed I've kinda started hoping people might actually like it and use it.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spatulater bro! posted:

I've been working on this for the last 4 months: https://captionwars.com/ There are a few bugs to work out (it falls over in IE, for example). It's a Node/Express/React/Mongodb app. It began as a learning project but as it progressed I've kinda started hoping people might actually like it and use it.

Need to implement social sharing (facebooks) and put the "winning" caption in meme form (direct on the image or in a white/black border over the image)

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Kennel posted:

Only closest guys targeting the ball:
https://i.imgur.com/X3erV0L.gifv

These are magical, and I hope you make more.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Aurium posted:

These are magical, and I hope you make more.

I kind of promised to pick it up again. A big challenge is to keep it interesting longer than few minutes. There needs to be enough variation in the player actions because football game itself is rather static environment (although that could be changed as well, since this isn't a serious simulation).

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
It would be great to have something based on this :)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sagacity posted:

It would be great to have something based on this :)

lol didn't know they made a Cannon Fodder + Sensible Soccer mashup, that's insane

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
It was some Amiga magazine coverdisk at one point, I believe. It's really fun to play and I wish the concept would be extended :D

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I was thinking of the Mutant League series.

Do something like Blitz, but soccer, and allow hot substitutions like hockey. Players get hurt/dismembered, hobble to the sideline based on how injured they are, and are replaced once they're over the line. No offsides, no fouls, just full contact soccer where taking out opposing players can as important as playing the ball.

I realize that's just Aus Football now but still...

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
NHL Hitz cross Super Mario Strikers.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

There was an original Xbox game that was some sort of full-contact basketball-type-thing set in a dystopian future. My friends and I figured out that there was a game mechanic where, if you beat up a member of the other team enough, they'd be out injured and not replaced, so we'd always spend the first round or period (of 3, I think) injuring as much of the other team as possible instead of scoring. Usually we'd win be default. That was kinda fun for a couple nights but it got old pretty fast because neither the fighting nor the sportsball aspects were all that engaging.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Munkeymon posted:

There was an original Xbox game that was some sort of full-contact basketball-type-thing set in a dystopian future.

Deathrow? It was dystopian Ultimate Frisbee, but otherwise sounds like the same thing.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Deathrow? It was dystopian Ultimate Frisbee, but otherwise sounds like the same thing.

Looks like it might be.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Speedball II (dystopian Rugby kinda, for Amiga. Don't remember if you could do it in the first) had that destroy opposing players mechanic too, also you could buy upgrades for your players.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

RIP Syndrome posted:

International Soccer

That game had quite a few exploits...

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Munkeymon posted:

There was an original Xbox game that was some sort of full-contact basketball-type-thing set in a dystopian future. My friends and I figured out that there was a game mechanic where, if you beat up a member of the other team enough, they'd be out injured and not replaced, so we'd always spend the first round or period (of 3, I think) injuring as much of the other team as possible instead of scoring. Usually we'd win be default. That was kinda fun for a couple nights but it got old pretty fast because neither the fighting nor the sportsball aspects were all that engaging.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Krankenstyle posted:

Speedball II (dystopian Rugby kinda, for Amiga. Don't remember if you could do it in the first) had that destroy opposing players mechanic too, also you could buy upgrades for your players.

You jerks quit getting ideas, I'm already making a Mutant League Hockey knockoff :colbert:

I was gonna say Arch Rivals, but I don't think you could actually knock players out of the game in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Don't forget 2020 Super Baseball, which had upgrading players and robots but robots broke down over the course of a game.